Should A Minister Charge For His Ministry?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 29, 2018
This is exactly where the problem lie. Things are going wrong in God's leadership, and any attempt to correct is quickly threatened with God's wrath. But you know, the Apostle Paul found the need to rebuke Peter, even though Peter was the first and senior and anointed minister.

Well, about being wrong, if I am, the Holy Ghost will quickly convict me and I won't hesitate to get off his way. So am not scared of that...

The onus is on me to deliver any message the Lord impresses in my spirit with all boldness.
The difference here is that what Paul rebuked Peter for was actions that were negating everything that Jesus just got done doing for them. Paul also rebuked Peter to his face. Here, you are trying to "rebuke" somebody who is not even a part of this thread over their actions that you "feel" are wrong. If you are going to give Godly correction to this person, you should to do it in person, not by throwing dirt at them from the internet. How are they to respond to your accusations if they are not present for them?

I hope that you do not feel that I threatened you with God's wrath, that was not my intent and if that is how it felt, then please accept my apology. I know that God moves in many ways and through many people. Some of the people who He moves through I love dearly, and some of the people He moves through I do not care for. BUT! If He loves them, and is working through them, I definitely do not wish to speak ill of them. No minister is without fault as they are simply humans who have agreed to follow God to the best of their ability. Some succeed amazingly well while others succeed only moderately well. Should we eliminate the ones who succeed only moderately well? Should we eliminate the ones who only save a few people from hell each week?

I personally believe that you are in the wrong to say that a minister cannot/should not charge for their services/time/life. You say that God will provide his wages, but refuse to acknowledge that God may in fact be providing for the minister's family through the hiring of them to minister at that event.

The usual here where I live is to give a "love" offering, however when it is not at a level that the pastor feels is appropriate, they will often add to the love offering out of the general fund of the church to bring it up to a level that is appropriate so that they are not such a burden on the minister. This is basically paying the minister wages and calling it something else (a love offering).

We, as the body of Christ, need to be careful to lift up those who God has called to minister and to not spend time tearing them down. We need to offer correction in love if we believe it to be appropriate.
Face to face is always the best, but letters or electronic communication works also.

I understand that this thread is not really about one singular person or event, and that you are frustrated by the actions that you are seeing growing in the ministering community. I believe, however, that by going and speaking with several of these ministers who you believe to be in the wrong and offering correction to them face to face, you will be able to tell them why you believe that they are in the wrong and they will have a chance to respond to your concerns.

You have the onus to do this, so please do it properly. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after these meetings and offered corrections.

Feb 7, 2017
No!!! Jesus was very clear:

• "And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." (Matt 10.7-8).
The unbelievers charge for their services, but it shall not be so among us (meditate on Matthew 20.26).

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com
The difference here is that what Paul rebuked Peter for was actions that were negating everything that Jesus just got done doing for them. Paul also rebuked Peter to his face. Here, you are trying to "rebuke" somebody who is not even a part of this thread over their actions that you "feel" are wrong. If you are going to give Godly correction to this person, you should to do it in person, not by throwing dirt at them from the internet. How are they to respond to your accusations if they are not present for them?

I hope that you do not feel that I threatened you with God's wrath, that was not my intent and if that is how it felt, then please accept my apology. I know that God moves in many ways and through many people. Some of the people who He moves through I love dearly, and some of the people He moves through I do not care for. BUT! If He loves them, and is working through them, I definitely do not wish to speak ill of them. No minister is without fault as they are simply humans who have agreed to follow God to the best of their ability. Some succeed amazingly well while others succeed only moderately well. Should we eliminate the ones who succeed only moderately well? Should we eliminate the ones who only save a few people from hell each week?

I personally believe that you are in the wrong to say that a minister cannot/should not charge for their services/time/life. You say that God will provide his wages, but refuse to acknowledge that God may in fact be providing for the minister's family through the hiring of them to minister at that event.

The usual here where I live is to give a "love" offering, however when it is not at a level that the pastor feels is appropriate, they will often add to the love offering out of the general fund of the church to bring it up to a level that is appropriate so that they are not such a burden on the minister. This is basically paying the minister wages and calling it something else (a love offering).

We, as the body of Christ, need to be careful to lift up those who God has called to minister and to not spend time tearing them down. We need to offer correction in love if we believe it to be appropriate.
Face to face is always the best, but letters or electronic communication works also.

I understand that this thread is not really about one singular person or event, and that you are frustrated by the actions that you are seeing growing in the ministering community. I believe, however, that by going and speaking with several of these ministers who you believe to be in the wrong and offering correction to them face to face, you will be able to tell them why you believe that they are in the wrong and they will have a chance to respond to your concerns.

You have the onus to do this, so please do it properly. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after these meetings and offered corrections.
Well Sir, I can't actually afford to go and meet all of them face to face, one-on-one, because this vice has become a world wide phenomenon, how do I travel round the world to warn all of these ministers to desist from what they are doing?

Then I am very glad you understand, I am not referring to a particular minister. The minister I cited, I actually know her name but purposely didn't mention her name. I used her case as a case study. The major essence of this thread is that this issue would be discussed with fellow ministers and believers around the world, so corrections can be taken for our own good. The intent is not to tear any particular minister down...

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
No!!! Jesus was very clear:

• "And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." (Matt 10.7-8).
The unbelievers charge for their services, but it shall not be so among us (meditate on Matthew 20.26).
So why does Paul write in 1Timothy 5:17-18, "The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For Scripture says, 'Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,” and “The worker deserves his wages'"?

The clear implication is that those ministering the gospel should make their living from the gospel. Oh, yeah, Paul wrote that too... in 1 Corinthians 9:14.

Jun 29, 2018
Well Sir, I can't actually afford to go and meet all of them face to face, one-on-one, because this vice has become a world wide phenomenon, how do I travel round the world to warn all of these ministers to desist from what they are doing?

Then I am very glad you understand, I am not referring to a particular minister. The minister I cited, I actually know her name but purposely didn't mention her name. I used her case as a case study. The major essence of this thread is that this issue would be discussed with fellow ministers and believers around the world, so corrections can be taken for our own good. The intent is not to tear any particular minister down...
What? You cannot afford to go and meet all of them? Surely if God gave you the onus to correct them then He will supply your needs to do so yes? Please know that I am being light hearted and just kidding with you here. It is intended though to help you to see that even the minister who God has placed the onus to spread into their heart needs to have finances to properly accomplish that task. Even Paul had people saving up for him months in advance so that when he did come there would be no need to ask for offering.

God bless you brother.

GodisONE

Jul 11, 2018
I don't see why ministers can't be paid.

and, I don't see why ministers can't pay taxes.

a tax paying minister would definitely be seen as an honest man of God, rather than a thief!!

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
So why does Paul write in 1Timothy 5:17-18, "The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For Scripture says, 'Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,” and “The worker deserves his wages'"?

The clear implication is that those ministering the gospel should make their living from the gospel. Oh, yeah, Paul wrote that too... in 1 Corinthians 9:14.
Yes, they should make their living form the gospel, but they should not demand their living from people, from the gospel.

The scripture in Timothy says they are to be "counted worthy of double honor", Not "Demand double honor"... there is a big difference.

emekrus

Jun 1, 2015
What? You cannot afford to go and meet all of them? Surely if God gave you the onus to correct them then He will supply your needs to do so yes? Please know that I am being light hearted and just kidding with you here. It is intended though to help you to see that even the minister who God has placed the onus to spread into their heart needs to have finances to properly accomplish that task. Even Paul had people saving up for him months in advance so that when he did come there would be no need to ask for offering.

God bless you brother.
Well, thank God I can at least afford an Internet Connection for the correction... And I believe it will do so much...

7seasrekeyed

Well, it wasn't my business how much was spent, after all, the family in question is a wealthy family. I didn't mind if they of their own free will gave her a billion.

But my business was that she had to charge for her free gift of-- praise and worship, just like so many other ministers. Which is certainly against scriptural injunction. She actually came to minister in praise and worship, not speaking. Doesn't it upset you that someone would have to charge in order to come and praise and worship God?

And about yanking, absolutely no! My sister in law's husband, is certainly not a fan of hype.
well they didn't have to hire her, did they? if the currency converter I used is right, that's about 2700.00 US $

you know, a local person with a decent voice could probably have sufficed, but you say the family has money

so, did they want to make a statement with their money? maybe you should look at their motives too

at any rate, I presume they went into this contract with the knowledge of what it would cost, so really, it's not about you

with regards to people with what you call a 'gift' charging for what they do, if that is how they make their living, then it is up to the recipients if they want to pay or not

in many cases, so called Christian ministries are more like a business

personally, I find it aborrent to watch someone on tv begging for money so they can continue to be on tv, but I don't have to watch them and I sure do not have to send them my hard earned money

I don't think you can lay a 'one size fits all' judgement on everyone who charges or even makes money off what they do

in the end, it's up to the people to decide if what is going on is something they want to support or if the money is just making people rich

I reserve my own thoughts on the matter, but I realize none of this is going to stop any time soon and I also think there is at times jealousy involved as well...Christians are notorious for that

due to the fact your relatives are rich as you say, my final word would be that it was between them and the person they contracted with. no one had a gun to their head or forced them to hire and pay her....right?

7seasrekeyed

Well Sir, if I got you right, you are in support of a minister actually charging for his ministry. My question is, on what scriptural ground should these charges be made. Can you cite a biblical minister that charged for his ministry? I am not saying freewill giving is not acceptable.

Then as for combining business with ministry successfully, how come the Apostle Paul thrived at this tremendously? You know, he had one of the greatest ministry in scriptures.

he was also single...had no family or responsibilities to anyone outside of himself and Paul was not the norm so no use in using him as some kind of formula everyone should follow

he also had an itinerant ministry and took up collections for churches so there goes your theory on no one receiving money

7seasrekeyed

Yes, they should make their living form the gospel, but they should not demand their living from people, from the gospel.

The scripture in Timothy says they are to be "counted worthy of double honor", Not "Demand double honor"... there is a big difference.

what you are failing to understand, realize and or take note of, that one could not charge if one did not pay

if there is a problem, it consists of TWO participants

the one who gives the bill and the one who pays it

that would be the correct perspective IMO