Should Christian men and women dress differently or does it matter under the new covanent?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
How do you even define transvestite anyway if all clothes are unisex now because Deut. 22:5 no longer applies to us (is my current understanding).... also I’m surprised how much or Rome stayed with the Protestants...
You must go to some strange stores in particular the Men and Womens underwear Departments.

S

selfdissolving

You dont pay much attention to whats going on inside the churches then. Lol.
All I can say.

Do some research and you would know the churches are the ones that need to be hearing that message badly. We got crossdressing pastors on the pulpits these days. LGBT churches are present too.
I'm not talking about religious institutions where people go on Sunday and sing and sit in a chair.

I'm talking about the body of Christ. All born again Christians whose bodies are the habitation of God in the Spirit.

Everything you mentioned, born again Christians already know.

The real problem is that lots of people in the religious institutions are not saved. They never repented and believed the gospel, and the follow a dead religion in the hopes that they will gain merit with God.

All that sin you mentioned, the blood of Jesus Christ washes away. If the sin hasn't been cleansed, the person is not a Christian no matter what kind of words come out of their mouths or what they spend Sunday mornings doing.

When a person is truly saved, the power of sin is broken in their lives and they become slaves to righteousness.

The way to address this problem is to preach the gospel, not condemn the sin. The gospel itself is the condemnation of sin, as well as the message of hope we are called to deliver.

Instead of getting up on our high horse and looking down our nose at sinful human nature, lets remember that we also have sinful human nature, lest the sword of judgment and condemnation fall on our own heads.

If God is the only Righteous Judge, let's be careful not to usurp his authority, and with gentleness and humility endeavor to get people saved through the preaching of the gospel.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
How do you even define transvestite anyway if all clothes are unisex now because Deut. 22:5 no longer applies to us (is my current understanding).... also I’m surprised how much or Rome stayed with the Protestants...
In Walmart there are separate ladies and men's department for clothes. I suppose that you could search online for unisex clothes if you were so inclined. Walmart.com offers free shipping for any order over $35. There is also Amazon. Right now I'm trending towards Old Navy.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
So I’m hearing that there SHOULD be a difference, that men and women should dress differently, but who defines what’s masculine clothes and what’s feminine? For example, it’s my understanding that in the west nearly any women wore pants for hundreds of years until comparatively recently, and it was even a hot topic back then because the cultural norm was that the men wore the pants... I understand back in Bible times there were no pants, so I’m just wondering if God cares about these things (men wearing dresses, etc.) for new testament believers?
so, is there ANY CHANCE YOU ARE GOING TO ENLIGHTEN US with YOUR OPINION...........

or are you just

fishing.png

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So I’m hearing that there SHOULD be a difference, that men and women should dress differently, but who defines what’s masculine clothes and what’s feminine? For example, it’s my understanding that in the west nearly any women wore pants for hundreds of years until comparatively recently, and it was even a hot topic back then because the cultural norm was that the men wore the pants... I understand back in Bible times there were no pants, so I’m just wondering if God cares about these things (men wearing dresses, etc.) for new testament believers?
I don't believe that God cares squat about what clothes you wear. I really don't understand your confusion about the definition of what is typical for women or men clothing. God gives us common sense in how to handle trivial matters. I have read the entire bible many times and have not found that the comparison between how a man dresses and a woman dresses to be a hot topic. Seems that there are more important matters to ponder in one's spiritual life than what clothes to wear each day but that's me. Nor sure at all if women wore pants back in the day, I thought that they wore toga's or something like that.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Looking at Deuteronomy 22:5–The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. ... Is not abominable to God under the new convenent? Thank you 🙂
Yer not quite right in the head are yer son.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Galatians 3 (NIV) 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor
free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Nov 26, 2012
Please explain if you would...
What is the point of your questions? Are you just bored? Clearly the scripture is against gender confusion. If you are male, don’t dress like a girl. If you are a girl, don’t dress like a boy. There are two departments in stores; menswear and womanswear. Although they both sell shirts and pants, they are still different. Shop according to the “equipment” you were born with.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Women should not wear clothing that reveals their body to the public. This would include showing a lot of skin, any cleavage, or tight fitting clothing showing off their figure.

Find out what the world and culture says is appropriate and do the opposite. Am I off base with this thought?

M

Miri

Mode of dress is a matter of culture and changing fashions.
Its not about what is worn, it’s the intent and heart behind it.
Surely people must realise that. If a person goes out of there way to
deliberately dress, move, speak, have mannerisms of the opposite sex,
then that’s a problem. Plus you can generally spot them a mile off.

If however the just happen to wear something culturally acceptable for their
country and century, whether it be a frock, sheet, trousers, kilt, shorts, etc
there is nothing wrong with that.

See pictures below if you don’t agree it’s me. Which of these is dressed in
an unacceptable way for their culture and century.

Men

Women

Man

Woman

Pope! Sorry couldn’t resist this one!

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
Mode of dress is a matter of culture and changing fashions.
Its not about what is worn, it’s the intent and heart behind it.
Surely people must realise that. If a person goes out of there way to
deliberately dress, move, speak, have mannerisms of the opposite sex,
then that’s a problem. Plus you can generally spot them a mile off...
Nice pics!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I should have just made my screen name
“I’m not SDA” for all the people asking me, wow...
Sorry its just there seemed to be a run of people asking about the diffrence between old and new covenants but they were just trying to get people to follow in the ways of the old one without understanding how Jesus transformed the old to the new.

One does see orthodox jews, dress as they did in the 1800s and also some christian sects, like the Amish who just hold on to traditional ways just for the sake of it. Styles of dress change with the times I couldnt imagine trying to do anything practical wearing some of the getups females were kind of forced to wear for the sake of fashion in the olden days...like corsets and hoop skirts? How about high heels? In China they actually bound womens feet like crushed them so they couldnt even walk for the sake of fashion.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I mean nothing wrong with wearing high heels if you want to be a bit taller (and women are generally shorter than men) but they can be very bad for your feet. Ask any podiatrist.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
On pants. Or trousers. The OP is asking. Well Im not really sure why its become that men wear pants and females werent suposed to. In high school we pretty much froze when we had to wear skirts in winter, its much warmer and more practical to wear trousers...if they fit! The thing is clothing manufacturers often make clothes without all the practical things needed eg skirts with no pockets so you have to wear a handbag as well.

I think pants or trousers came in for practical reasons, men had to often work outdoors and in certain climates its better to wear pants. I dont think its anything to do with gender as such. When women first began wearing them maybe people were shocked because they could actually see they had two legs. I dont know. Really short skirts also came in about the 1920s and that was also shocking for most. Its a cultural thing. Also theres things about modesty, and for women, we need to be carfeful about showing too much skin. Its as much for our protection against the elements as anything. GOd was the first clothing designer back when he made aprons for .adam and .eve, and he probably made each custom to fit their different body shapes.

The white robes mentioned in Revelation point to our comforts which is what I like about it...we going to be wearing what seems to be like bathrobes or linen shifts and as you will note if you go to any clothing store they are basically the same design for either sex. Maybe embroidered with our names?

I would not worry about it too much we are more than our clothes. Thats what the gentiles worried about. GOd can clothe you. See Matthew 6:25-34

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I hope you all remember,.........before you get your knickers in a twist............that evreryone wore skirts when that was written.
And BREECHES does not mean pants..........it means a cloth that is worn wrapped around a man's privates.
Frankly PANTS are a huge improvement.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Some women should definitely wear pants. definitely. with LOOOONG tunics.
Ever seen an old woman sit in a short skirt that hikes up to her thighs....or beyond? UGH
And only very few men can get away with breeches.

Feb 28, 2016
I have learned that 'clothes', as concerning to the 'world's definition, can NEVER 'define a person,
it's really quite the opposite; we should be able to define who we really are by just being and expressing who we are,
by our actions/walk inspired by our Holy Saviour, Who will manifest Himself through us through His Holy Love...

Dec 30, 2018
You must go to some strange stores in particular the Men and Womens underwear Departments.
The thougts behind my OP were questions about cultural shifts, mostly wondered about women wearing pants now so often when 70-80 years ago there seemed a much more culturally defined difference between men and women in their garb. Feminism and divorce and emasculated men and the world waxing worse as it will, I wondered about immodestly and how pants on women might cause weak brethren to stumble and changes in differences between what men and women wear these days might have been of the enemy... thanks 🙂

Dec 30, 2018
What is the point of your questions? Are you just bored? Clearly the scripture is against gender confusion. If you are male, don’t dress like a girl. If you are a girl, don’t dress like a boy. There are two departments in stores; menswear and womanswear. Although they both sell shirts and pants, they are still different. Shop according to the “equipment” you were born with.
Who decides? Do we just go with what the stores call menswear and womenswear? Thanks🙂