F
FreeNChrist
Guest
I wonder If God looks to us sometimes to make the first move?
Never. God is the initiator and we are the responders. Always and in all ways.
I wonder If God looks to us sometimes to make the first move?
I've been in a few churches and I've never seen this as a problem. It would be refreshing if someone wants to shout praises to God during worship!
Psalm 98:4-9
Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth;
Break forth and sing for joy and sing praises.
Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre,
With the lyre and the sound of melody.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
Shout joyfully before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea roar and all it contains,
The world and those who dwell in it.
Let the rivers clap their hands,
Let the mountains sing together for joy
Before the Lord, for He is coming to judge the earth;
He will judge the world with righteousness
And the peoples with equity.
Praise to the Lord for His Fidelity to Israel.
The song Shout To The Lord happens to be one of my favorites.
<font size="4"><span style="font-family: verdana">[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-qkNthzidLE[/video]
The scripture you refer to is the Triumphal entry into Jerusalem. The people were shouting and praising over all the miracles Jesus did shouting - Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord; Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
I would love to hear some genuine shouting for what God has done for us!
Apparently, I do disturb the neighbors.Yes...........and.........No
We probably should not make a spectacle of ourselves/Worship Services.........BUT........methinks we SHOULD disturb the Neighborhood........for we are Commanded to do so............see Matthew 28:19-20![]()
Thanks, Desertsrose, you're helping me be more patient with noisy fellow believers, and this psalm is really wonderful.
But, as I said in the original post, there are Christians who really measure spirituality in decibels. Some 15 years ago I was in another country visiting a church of my denomination. After the service I met another Brazilian and he commented: "wow, you see how spiritually dead this church is?" I didn't get him at first because the hymns were nice, the testimonies were good enough, and the sermon was very spiritual. But then it hit me: he was referring to the silence during the service. Well, it's nice to praise God with our voices, but if we make it compulsory we'll never know if the emotion behind the expression is sincere. That church was silent, but only God could look into their hearts.

So if in service God doesn't lead in singing, we're not supposed to?Never. God is the initiator and we are the responders. Always and in all ways.
So if in service God doesn't lead in singing, we're not supposed to?
I think that they're taking that verse out of context. This verse comes when the disciples are calling Jesus "The King who comes in the name of the Lord." The Pharisees tell Jesus to rebuke His disciples. It doesn't say exactly why, but from what we know of the Pharisees, they probably disagreed with them calling Jesus the King who comes in the name of the Lord instead of being angry about the amount of noise they were making. Jesus says "if they will keep quiet" not "if they don't shout loud enough."I know many Christians who measure other people's faith in decibels, and they provide Scripture for that: Luke 19:40 (if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out).
Many churches equate shouting with spirituality - if you cry out to God loudly you're a great Christian, but if you pray softly you're spiritually dead.
I know that deep communion with God produces deep emotions, but what I see in many churches is just the habit of shouting.
How do you folks interpret Jesus' words? (if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out).
Jesus says "if they will keep quiet" not "if they don't shout loud enough."