Should Christians own guns?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gman

Nov 30, 2017
I was meditating on the passage in Luke I believe, where the Lord said that if someone did not have a sword, that they should sell their cloak and buy one because He is sending us as sheep among wolves... And what the Lord showed me or caused me to realize, is that, He did not say if someone did not have a weapon but was very specific in saying "Sword". So my question is: should Christians own guns? And even if it's ok to own a gun, is it not better to own a sword? The reason is, a gun is only useful as long as you have bullets and the mechanism works, where as a sword does not require ammo and a sword is useful for many things not just self defense. I would like to know what you guys think.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I think you are over thinking this.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one

(Luke 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

I don't think the above can be used to justify guns or swords either for or against - but if you want to be "reckoned among the transgressors" go ahead.

BigSmile.gif

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
There is nothing wrong with a Christian owning a gun to defend the defenseless, his wife, family, and himself. Also, there is nothing wrong with sport shooting, or hunting. It's true that if you have a gun, you need ammo and the skill of knowing how to use it, which takes some practice. If you're going to be proficient with it, the same is true of a sword...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
You are at liberty to do as you see fit. Let God direct your heart in the matter. Some folks should not own guns. The rest are at liberty in the Lord.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
What about Christians in law enforcement, they need guns to serve. Self defense is common sense. If you cannot provide a modicum of safety for you family, you are not providing their needs. If you can defend your family, the same goes for your community, state or country.

Nov 12, 2015
I always enter these threads hoping that I will finally run across a man or woman who the Spirit has given the spirit of the words on that verse. OR that can tie in the verses in tension to it. I KNOW that one day He will show me. Or He will send someone who can tell me.

Apr 15, 2017
I think it is alright for a Christian to own a gun, for when they are in the military they sing as they are marching in basic training, this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun.

It would seem like it would be alright for a Christian to own a gun, for what if they wanted to hunt for food, but I would not say that it would be alright to trophy hunt unless they ate the food, but then to display the animal in a stuffed condition does not seem right, for why would a person brag about it, for then it is sport disrespecting the animal.

Unless a Christian should not support guns at all for the crimes that are committed because of them, making it easier to do crimes.

SaintMichaels

Jun 6, 2018
Should Christians own guns?
Yes. Because our governments executive branches that are the military and law enforcement agencies are armed. Our pledge identifies America as one nation under God. As we sadly discover with regularity now, that doesn't mean our government contains those who honor God. Or respect we the people that it governs.
I'd rather own guns and not need them than need guns and not have them.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You are at liberty to do as you see fit. Let God direct your heart in the matter. Some folks should not own guns. The rest are at liberty in the Lord.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Praise the Lord! For once I agree with you. :)

Feb 7, 2017
Never!!! After all:

• "Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of Jehovah unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith Jehovah of hosts." (Zech 4.6).
  • "saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honor, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen." (Rev 7.12).

Besides:

• "God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble." (Psalm 46.1)
  • "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will make mention of the name of Jehovah our God." (Psalm 20.7).
  • "Woe to the rebellious children, saith Jehovah, that take counsel, but not of me; and that make a league, but not of my Spirit, that they may add sin to sin, that set out to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to take refuge in the shadow of Egypt! Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the refuge in the shadow of Egypt your confusion." (Isa 30.1-3).
  • "Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help, and rely on horses, and trust in chariots because they are many, and in horsemen because they are very strong, but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek Jehovah! Yet he also is wise, and will bring evil, and will not call back his words, but will arise against the house of the evil-doers, and against the help of them that work iniquity. Now the Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit: and when Jehovah shall stretch out his hand, both he that helpeth shall stumble, and he that is helped shall fall, and they all shall be consumed together." (Isa 31.1-3).
  • "He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: He taketh no pleasure in the legs of a man. Jehovah taketh pleasure in them that fear him, In those that hope in his lovingkindness" (Psa 147.10,11).

P

pottersclay

Never seen a gun kill a person.....it was always the one aiming it.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
To answer the OP..... Yes. Unless you don't want to, or are not willing to become proficient with it.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So my question is: should Christians own guns?
If used for hunting or protecting your home, yourself, or your family, absolutely.
And even if it's ok to own a gun, is it not better to own a sword?
Not really. At that time there were no guns. And today swords are generally obsolete.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I was meditating on the passage in Luke I believe, where the Lord said that if someone did not have a sword, that they should sell their cloak and buy one because He is sending us as sheep among wolves... And what the Lord showed me or caused me to realize, is that, He did not say if someone did not have a weapon but was very specific in saying "Sword". So my question is: should Christians own guns? And even if it's ok to own a gun, is it not better to own a sword? The reason is, a gun is only useful as long as you have bullets and the mechanism works, where as a sword does not require ammo and a sword is useful for many things not just self defense. I would like to know what you guys think.
I have, and in the future, would only own a gun for hunting purposes..

Gman

Nov 30, 2017
If used for hunting or protecting your home, yourself, or your family, absolutely.

Not really. At that time there were no guns. And today swords are generally obsolete.
I agree with you but in days to come if you can't find bullets won't the gun become useless?

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
For sure some people should not have guns.... I'm not one of them. I used to shoot for sport but now I have it handy for when I might need it. Ammo is not a problem since I don't use it enough to matter anymore.

I like and totally agree with what St.Michaels said... " I'd rather own guns and not need them than need guns and not have them. "