Should everyone be able to evangelize and debate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter candycane7
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

candycane7

Guest
I watched a few vids on youtube where people evangelized in public and debated with other people.

On the one hand it was inspiring, but it also made me sad cause this is something I could absolutely not do for various

reasons. First of all I don't have all the necessary knowledge. In order to be able to debate with people and answer ALL their

possible questions you have to have such a vast knowledge. I mean you have to be able to cover SO much, from evolution, the

reliability of the bible, the proofs for Jesus existing as historical person, other religions and so much more.


If you don't have all this knowledge and then somebody comes along and confronts you with questions you just cannot answer

then you'll only look like a fool and probably even feel bad about yourself and maybe even get doubts yourself!

I know that due to my anxiety and ocd debating with family members always left ME confused and feeling bad and even

getting doubts myself. It simply sucks when you're confronted with stuff you cannot answer/disarm.

So for me it would be absolutely impossible to try to debate with people, but I worry what if God requires every christian to

do this no matter what? But where's the point if this actually drags ME down?


What's also weird is something which I noticed already long time ago: Some kinds of arguments FOR the faith absolutely do not

"convince" me, it's like I cannot really grab them. For example if a christian says the bible has thousands of prophecies which all

came true then such an argument doesn't really work for me cause then I think "yes, but how do we know that these prophecies

have not been altered in order to match history?".

Not that I want to doubt them, it's just that such an argument would not really convince me to believe. Does anyone else also have this?

Some kinds of arguments simply don't work for me.

I believe for other reasons and I'd also not even want to share them with others cause I think it's too personal in my opinion.

If I told another person the things which make me believe that there must be a God and this person was not convinced or made fun of

my arguments then this would also drag me down.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
Evangelizing and debating is not a commandment of God, except for perhaps some few who are called to that work. Faith in him and loving others is his commandment for you personally. Quit listening to teachers who would rather bring you into bondage with guilt trips than show you how to live a life that is pleasing to God. They can't tell you how to do that because they don't know how and instead try to get everyone to recruit more tithe paying pew-sitters so they can pat themselves on the back and feel like they are doing the will of God. There are hungry people in the world who would be drawn to Jesus if they actually saw Jesus in Christians. Instead they see hypocritical sales people who don't live what they preach.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
We're all given gifts. We should exercise those, and generally speaking we will be because we're naturally gifted in those areas, whatever they may be.

Even if you're an extreme extrovert, if the Lord wishes to use you to help lead someone to Himself, he'll equip in real-time for the job.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
Hi,
but the bible says somewhere that everybody has to be able to give a reason for his faith.

To me this sounds like you have to be able to justify to others why you believe.

I often heard preachers quote this verse in such a context. To me it sounds like every christian has

to be able to answer all kinds of questions in order to convince others. But I'm really not a debater.

I also don't want to get into apologetics. I don't feel like this would be helpful for me it would probably

rather confuse me. I don't want to expose myself to all kinds of attacks on my faith in order to then hopefully

find answers to disarm those attacks.
 
Hi,
but the bible says somewhere that everybody has to be able to give a reason for his faith.

To me this sounds like you have to be able to justify to others why you believe.

I often heard preachers quote this verse in such a context. To me it sounds like every christian has

to be able to answer all kinds of questions in order to convince others. But I'm really not a debater.

I also don't want to get into apologetics. I don't feel like this would be helpful for me it would probably

rather confuse me. I don't want to expose myself to all kinds of attacks on my faith in order to then hopefully

find answers to disarm those attacks.

You don't have to justify anything. If someone asks you about your faith then just tell them what you believe. Read, study and pray so you know how to talk about it if/when the opportunity arises. It's not your responsibility to bring people to Christ; it's God's. It's your reponsibility to follow Christ so that he can grow in you and shine forth through your conduct so that people who are searching will be drawn to him.
 
Not everyone is called to do this not all have the gifts or knowledge to do so either.
And especially if one is a babe in Christ
 
I watched a few vids on youtube where people evangelized in public and debated with other people.

On the one hand it was inspiring, but it also made me sad cause this is something I could absolutely not do for various

reasons. First of all I don't have all the necessary knowledge. In order to be able to debate with people and answer ALL their

possible questions you have to have such a vast knowledge. I mean you have to be able to cover SO much, from evolution, the

reliability of the bible, the proofs for Jesus existing as historical person, other religions and so much more.

This is true and I cringe when people do not know what to say or do not know how to answer sufficiently.

And the world will laugh and rejoice for your short coming and not think you might be new to the Bible and do not have a full understanding.

Which a first year student in college going for a degree will not have all the answers but the world does not laugh and rejoice about that.

The world will take lack of knowledge, stumbling of words, baffled, do not know how to answer that they can get to ridicule, belittle, and such words related to them.

It is better if a person that does not know the answer to not take a stab at it and come across as another silly Christian.

It is better if they stick to the basics and answer questions they know about and come across as making sense giving honor to the Bible that cannot be denied.

Which the world will deny it but some might think that it made sense and might look in to it.

Jud 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
Jud 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

People need to be reached differently to consider the truth and embrace the truth.

Not all people respond to God loves you and repent and embrace Jesus as your Savior.

Prophesy is good to tell them which the Bible tells us of these times and the events that will happen.

Which when they happen they might consider the truth for the Bible tells us.

A good guideline.

God warns us of the new age agenda which they have a false interpretation of the Bible that exalts people and there is no personal God(1 Timothy 4:1-5).

The time will come that people will not want to embrace the truth of the Bible but want hear the Bible according to the new age(2 Timothy 4:2-4).

The New Age Christ will negotiate peace in the Middle East resulting in a peace treaty(Daniel 9:27).

The nations will come together and the world will be split in to 10 sections with a leader in each section(Daniel 7:7-8; 23-24).

Which Canada, America, and Mexico will come together as one nation.

Which they do not secure the border so illegals will run in to America so the solution is to merge Mexico and America.

President Trump is working on making Canada the 51st state.

The top leaders of the Republicans and Democrats are actually working together which is the Hegel System which they set up 2 opposing forces and then they harmonize them together with a balance between them which they believe is a better system than either system alone and it brings the people together.

Which on the back of the dollar bill, Announcing the conception of a new order of the ages, and out of many, one.

The New Age Christ will push the agenda of the new age which he think to change times and laws(Daniel 7:25; 8:23-25; 11:36-39; Revelation 13:5-7).

United Nations Agenda 21 for the 21st century which is known as Agenda 30 for the year 2030 when they want it implemented.

They want to move all people in to the cities, and no development can happen outside city limits, and the people are the police force.

They want to give the people a microchip under the skin linked to satellite like a GPS tracking system for humans.

They can watch the people, and know their location, and if a crime happens they will know who was in the area, and how close they were to the crime scene.

This will cut out judges, lawyers, and the now known police force.

All information about the person will be on the chip including finances for it is the one world economic system.

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

chi xi stigma
khee xee stig'-ma
The 22nd, 14th and an obsolete letter (G4742 as a cross) of the Greek alphabet (intermediate between the 5th and 6th), used as numbers; denoting respectively 600, 60 and 6; 666 as a numeral: - six hundred threescore and six.

stigma
stig'-mah
From a primary word στίζω stizō (to “stick”, that is, prick); a mark incised or punched (for recognition of ownership), that is, (figuratively) scar of service: - mark.

The mark of the beast is something stuck under something and since it is given to a person it is stuck under their skin.

The New Age Christ's agenda is there is no personal God to help mankind but their technology can help them to deter crime, and have peace.

The United Nations supports new age organizations.

Isa 41:21 Produce your cause, saith the LORD; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob.
Isa 41:22 Let them bring them forth, and shew us what shall happen: let them shew the former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come.
Isa 41:23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

Isa 41:26 Who hath declared from the beginning, that we may know? and beforetime, that we may say, He is righteous? yea, there is none that sheweth, yea, there is none that declareth, yea, there is none that heareth your words.
Isa 41:28 For I beheld, and there was no man; even among them, and there was no counsellor, that, when I asked of them, could answer a word.

If you tell people prophesy when it comes to pass people might consider the truth.

Also the new age agenda is a biggest threat to Christianity in the history of the Church and need to be exposed and let people know it is false and punishment will come to all who follow it.

Save some with fear.

Everyone should be able to evangelize and debate but people are on different levels.

A person does not have to know the end time in detail but if they go against God and the Gospel of Christ do not go along with them.

Which the new age agenda will do which they will stop the preaching of a personal God and the Gospel of Christ on a world wide level causing God to end sin on earth.
 
I watched a few vids on youtube where people evangelized in public and debated with other people.

On the one hand it was inspiring, but it also made me sad cause this is something I could absolutely not do for various

reasons. First of all I don't have all the necessary knowledge. In order to be able to debate with people and answer ALL their

possible questions you have to have such a vast knowledge. I mean you have to be able to cover SO much, from evolution, the

reliability of the bible, the proofs for Jesus existing as historical person, other religions and so much more.


If you don't have all this knowledge and then somebody comes along and confronts you with questions you just cannot answer

then you'll only look like a fool and probably even feel bad about yourself and maybe even get doubts yourself!

I know that due to my anxiety and ocd debating with family members always left ME confused and feeling bad and even

getting doubts myself. It simply sucks when you're confronted with stuff you cannot answer/disarm.

So for me it would be absolutely impossible to try to debate with people, but I worry what if God requires every christian to

do this no matter what? But where's the point if this actually drags ME down?


What's also weird is something which I noticed already long time ago: Some kinds of arguments FOR the faith absolutely do not

"convince" me, it's like I cannot really grab them. For example if a christian says the bible has thousands of prophecies which all

came true then such an argument doesn't really work for me cause then I think "yes, but how do we know that these prophecies

have not been altered in order to match history?".

Not that I want to doubt them, it's just that such an argument would not really convince me to believe. Does anyone else also have this?

Some kinds of arguments simply don't work for me.

I believe for other reasons and I'd also not even want to share them with others cause I think it's too personal in my opinion.

If I told another person the things which make me believe that there must be a God and this person was not convinced or made fun of

my arguments then this would also drag me down.
Find a Bible teaching church. They will not teach you to "get to work." They will teach you the fundamentals and basics of Bible doctrine so you are equipped......If you find a good teacher, he will fit you for maturity also.
https://www.rbthieme.org/index.html
https://www.sermonaudio.com/speakers/8276/
https://gbible.org/

1 Pet 3:15
but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;
 
  • Like
Reactions: HeIsHere and Eli1
As brother Timbers said "we all have gifts" and it's why i say "we all have a job to do on this earth".
Find what you're good at and stay with it.
 
A lot of debate tactics are opposed to meaningful dialog; so, I'm not a huge fan of theological debates- they're still way better than the nonsense we saw during the election cycle; but I think the debate structures cheapen the discussion a bit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
..but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
1 Peter 3:15
 
Find a Bible teaching church. They will not teach you to "get to work." They will teach you the fundamentals and basics of Bible doctrine so you are equipped......If you find a good teacher, he will fit you for maturity also.
https://www.rbthieme.org/index.html
https://www.sermonaudio.com/speakers/8276/
https://gbible.org/

1 Pet 3:15
but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

I posted the same verse.
Thank you for the links.
Thieme is a grace teacher, I like that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kroogz
Hi,
but the bible says somewhere that everybody has to be able to give a reason for his faith.

To me this sounds like you have to be able to justify to others why you believe.

I often heard preachers quote this verse in such a context. To me it sounds like every christian has

to be able to answer all kinds of questions in order to convince others. But I'm really not a debater.

I also don't want to get into apologetics. I don't feel like this would be helpful for me it would probably

rather confuse me. I don't want to expose myself to all kinds of attacks on my faith in order to then hopefully

find answers to disarm those attacks.
Each of us is called to be ready to give an answer for the hope that lies in us. That does not mean we need to be competent apologists; rather, it means having an answer to the question, "Why are you a believer in Jesus Christ?"

So, answer that for yourself, and commit the answer to memory.
 
"And as He said these things to them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to assail Him vehemently, and to cross-examine Him about many things, lying in wait for Him, and seeking to catch Him in something He might say, that they might accuse Him." Luke 11:53-54

This is what it typically turns into.
 
I watched a few vids on youtube where people evangelized in public and debated with other people.

On the one hand it was inspiring, but it also made me sad cause this is something I could absolutely not do for various
reasons. First of all I don't have all the necessary knowledge. In order to be able to debate with people and answer ALL their
possible questions you have to have such a vast knowledge. I mean you have to be able to cover SO much, from evolution, the
reliability of the bible, the proofs for Jesus existing as historical person, other religions and so much more.

If you don't have all this knowledge and then somebody comes along and confronts you with questions you just cannot answer
then you'll only look like a fool and probably even feel bad about yourself and maybe even get doubts yourself!
I know that due to my anxiety and ocd debating with family members always left ME confused and feeling bad and even
getting doubts myself. It simply sucks when you're confronted with stuff you cannot answer/disarm.

So for me it would be absolutely impossible to try to debate with people, but I worry what if God requires every christian to
do this no matter what? But where's the point if this actually drags ME down?

What's also weird is something which I noticed already long time ago: Some kinds of arguments FOR the faith absolutely do not
"convince" me, it's like I cannot really grab them. For example if a christian says the bible has thousands of prophecies which all
came true then such an argument doesn't really work for me cause then I think "yes, but how do we know that these prophecies
have not been altered in order to match history?".

Not that I want to doubt them, it's just that such an argument would not really convince me to believe. Does anyone else also have this?

Some kinds of arguments simply don't work for me.

I believe for other reasons and I'd also not even want to share them with others cause I think it's too personal in my opinion.

If I told another person the things which make me believe that there must be a God and this person was not convinced or made fun of

my arguments then this would also drag me down.

Another great topic on CC, CC. You are on a roll!
I would have the necessary knowledge if I had the needed memory.
However, I learned to compensate for forgetting what I knew by writing it down on our website,
which is <truthseekersfellowship.com> , beginning in Lesson 1 with answers to the questions atheists ask,
and I call it ours because everyone is welcome to use it as a resource or boost along our pilgrimage.

I encourage you to be a good steward of your gifts in accordance with the teaching of 1Pet. 3:15,
and do not feel responsible for results, because both Jesus and Paul also were frustrated about the futility
of witnessing to foolish folks (Matt. 13:14-15, Acts 28:26-27).

Regarding Scripture, I encourage you to focus on the teachings of Paul in his epistles,
because it is amazing how logical or scientific his witnessing was, which is the type of reasoning
that seems to resonate with you. It is the reason I begin the website without immediate reference
to Scripture: in order to show logical reasons for being a theist and Christian per what I call
the Propensity Principle. If you would like to discuss Lesson 1 or 2 in detail, I would be happy to do so
right here and right next.

LIC, Groovy