Should I use the same bible version as my church even though I don't like it?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

Senior Member
May 5, 2009
2,576
26
48
My church uses a translation that I'm not particularly fond of. Everyone uses it except for me.

Is anyone aware of any scriptures that would compel a christian to use the same bible as their congregation?

Often people are asked to read from the bible, and I'm not sure whether some would be offended by hearing a different translation than the one they're used to.
 
I've never been to a church where everybody uses the same bible. Usually when somebody gets up to read a passage they say "I'll be reading out of [book], [chapter] [verse], [bible version]. I'd say just declare when you go to read what version your bible is.

Out of curiosity, what version do they use?
 
My church uses a translation that I'm not particularly fond of. Everyone uses it except for me.

Is anyone aware of any scriptures that would compel a christian to use the same bible as their congregation?

Often people are asked to read from the bible, and I'm not sure whether some would be offended by hearing a different translation than the one they're used to.

you need to talk to your pastor, tell him you use a different translation, chances are if He has a problem with it, he won't call on you to read, or either He will ask you to use their Translation if he ever does call on you, if you have a problem with that then you need to find another church. Why would you want to come in here and ask about something within your Church. The pastor is the leader of your church if you are doing or going to do someting that concerns the Chruch, you should talk to him , I myself, wouldn't want one of my people coming in here, and asking Snail anything about what they should do at my Church, in our by-laws we have it that any preaching or teachings will be done from the King James only, snail may not know this and Give you bad advise as far as what should be done at our church. however if someone is giving a testamony and they qoute something from any of the other modern day preversions, we don't kick them out, now I may later, one on one share with them why we cherish the King James version. I personal don't think you will find any verses saying what you are looking concerning different transaltions. for I personal don't think that the different translation are of God, the modern translations all are working toward the one world religion which is not of God. they are being worded that all gods may be worshipped from one book, example; by taking "which art in heaven" out of Our Father, which art in heaven, hallow be thy name. to where it reads:


Luke 11:2 (New International Version)


2He said to them, "When you pray, say:
" 'Father,[a]
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.[b]

Footnotes:
  1. Luke 11:2 Some manuscripts Our Father in heaven
  2. Luke 11:2 Some manuscripts come. May your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.


hope this has been a help
 
i am curious wot transltion do they use?

with my church the whole congregation uses and reads the darby translation, but when at home i read NKJ, KJV nd NIV

but I think it is not a major problem to not read the same translation as everyone else
 
I've never been to a church where everybody uses the same bible. Usually when somebody gets up to read a passage they say "I'll be reading out of [book], [chapter] [verse], [bible version]. I'd say just declare when you go to read what version your bible is.

Out of curiosity, what version do they use?
you have never been to a King James only Church then this is probably the Bible they are using at that Church. where they believe that the KJB is the preserved word of God, and anything that conflicts with it is not of God. I feel that this thread is not seeking advise on what to do, but rather encouragement to stand up with scriptures and tell that church ( or at least tell the pastor) that they are wrong. which they are beating their head against the wall. just as I beat my head against the wall most of the time when I share the changes where the modern day translations differs from The Authorized Version for almost 400 years now. such as "That He gave His only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him". the word Begotton which simply means birthed, is taken out and it reads he gave His one and only Son. This is a lie( God can not lie) so this translation of this verse can not be of God, He had only one begotten Son , But He is father of many sons through adoption of the Blood of His Only begotten son , I am a son of God but I didn't die you you. in the same Niv translation we found that

Luke 3:38 (New International Version)


the son of Kenan, 38the son of Enosh,
the son of Seth, the son of Adam,
the son of God.


here the Niv says that Adam was the son of God, so it must have been Adam that God gave so that I might have life, yeah this is all very simple to figure out if we have the true word as a foundation and we know that Adam was not the son John 3:16 is referring to , but what about our grandchildren that will be taught the the Kjb is out dated , and the only version they see is niv( or any of ht eother preversions) , Adam has to be the son oF God so it would have to be Adam that we must worship, and if anyone one says different then we would have confusion , and God Is Not the Author of Confusion. so if we have a Bible that says God had only one son , such as the niv he gave his one and only son, then we have a bible, which is suppossed to be the inspired word of God, tells us a lie. this just should not be allowed in our Chruches
 
Last edited:
Honestly, my only problem with KJ is the ye, thous. I know it's stupid but I get so confused.
 
Honestly, my only problem with KJ is the ye, thous. I know it's stupid but I get so confused.

actually if we knew the english language well. the thee's and thou's and ye's would clear things up better than the we's, me's and you's. and this is just the first web site that came up. hope this will help!

ALL THOSE THEE'S AND THOU'S
By Bro. Nic Kizziah
An article published in "The Believers Newsletter" - December 2003


Have you ever heard anyone say "I can't understand that ol' King James Bible with all those thee's and thou's. The young people really need something easier to understand." Sure, all of us King James Bible believers have heard such remarks.
I think people who use such remarks highly under estimate the intelligence of our young people today. It is really not that complicated. If they can figure out all the high tech gadgets of modern society today then this ought to be as easy as falling when you jump out of an airplane. Unfortunately many young people do not even try because an older generation has told them "it's hard to understand." It's not hard to understand, it's easy to understand. There are two rules to remember:
allthose_bar.gif

Rule #1: ​
The words that begin with "T" (thee, thou, thy and thine) are singular and refer to only one.
allthose_bar.gif

Rule #2: ​
The words that begin with "Y" (Ye, you, your, and yours) are plural and refer to two or more.
That's it, that's all there is to it. Now if you replace the second-person singular pronouns "thee and thou" with the word "you" then you are distorting the scriptures. This is exactly what is happening in the new modern versions.
You just can't beat the Elizabethan English that the King James Bible is written in. It's a pure beautiful language.
 
Use what helps you the best. There is no rule and one says there is they are blinded. No one else is going to get you to heaven. Your on the right track. You don't go with the flow. You go after Jesus.
 
I like the way it sounds with the thee's and thou's even though I forget which is which sometimes, some other words, like beguile for example lose me. I think just about everybody at my church uses the NIV it seems, I have a NKJV, so if I'm not reading along in mine I can lose my place. My pastor actually said something about people starting to think the NIV is evil or something kinda joking before He used The Message I believe, which pretty much sounded like the NIV to me.
 
The church I go to uses the New king James, I use the 1611 King James. and they are different and come from different sources I trust the version I use more than the one my church uses. I want to use the best.
 
I like the 21century kjv

There is an important underlying textual difference between the various KJVs and others.

The KJV(and variants) is based on the Received or Majority Text. Others are based on inferior texts loosely grouped and labelled as neutral texts.
 
I like the 21century kjv

There is an important underlying textual difference between the various KJVs and others.

The KJV(and variants) is based on the Received or Majority Text. Others are based on inferior texts loosely grouped and labelled as neutral texts.

KJV based on Masoretic Texts more recently called 'Recieved' or 'Majority', but basically the KJV is based on the Leningrad Codex 1009 AD written in Masoretic Hebrew, which BTW is not the original language of the Bible, the oldest manuscripts for the Old Testament are written in Greek, the Greek Septuagint is the oldest Old Testament.
 
KJV based on Masoretic Texts more recently called 'Recieved' or 'Majority', but basically the KJV is based on the Leningrad Codex 1009 AD written in Masoretic Hebrew, which BTW is not the original language of the Bible, the oldest manuscripts for the Old Testament are written in Greek, the Greek Septuagint is the oldest Old Testament.
In your opinion Cup, what English translation is best used?
 
you need to talk to your pastor, tell him you use a different translation, chances are if He has a problem with it, he won't call on you to read, or either He will ask you to use their Translation if he ever does call on you, if you have a problem with that then you need to find another church. Why would you want to come in here and ask about something within your Church. The pastor is the leader of your church if you are doing or going to do someting that concerns the Chruch, you should talk to him , I myself, wouldn't want one of my people coming in here, and asking Snail anything about what they should do at my Church, in our by-laws we have it that any preaching or teachings will be done from the King James only, snail may not know this and Give you bad advise as far as what should be done at our church. however if someone is giving a testamony and they qoute something from any of the other modern day preversions, we don't kick them out, now I may later, one on one share with them why we cherish the King James version. I personal don't think you will find any verses saying what you are looking concerning different transaltions. for I personal don't think that the different translation are of God, the modern translations all are working toward the one world religion which is not of God. they are being worded that all gods may be worshipped from one book, example; by taking "which art in heaven" out of Our Father, which art in heaven, hallow be thy name. to where


Careful there Keith...it is CHRIST's Church and it is CHRIST's people and it is CHRIST who is leader...CHRIST is the Shepherd....not the pastor....you are an underling. And a sheep yourself.
 
I think you should use the version of the Bible you think the Lord wants you use. That would probably be the one that, in your opinion, most faithfully translates the original tongues into English.

I cannot predict how your church will react if you read a different translation in church. I do know that in my adult Sunday school class, it is hard to find two people using the same version.

I still use the Revised Standard Version (not the New Revised Standard Version) that my church gave me when I was a boy. After that I might reach for the New King James Version.
 
Use the version that helps you study the Word more efficiently. Don't worry about what anyone else is using. It's about you and God, not you and the pastor.
 
Is anyone aware of any scriptures that would compel a christian to use the same bible as their congregation?
No there are no scriptures that say that. The only reason they would suggest this is so that when scripture is read out loud, everyone can follow what is being read from their own Bible..that is it, nothing more nothing less.
 
you need to talk to your pastor, tell him you use a different translation, chances are if He has a problem with it, he won't call on you to read, or either He will ask you to use their Translation if he ever does call on you, if you have a problem with that then you need to find another church. Why would you want to come in here and ask about something within your Church. The pastor is the leader of your church if you are doing or going to do someting that concerns the Chruch, you should talk to him , I myself, wouldn't want one of my people coming in here, and asking Snail anything about what they should do at my Church, in our by-laws we have it that any preaching or teachings will be done from the King James only, snail may not know this and Give you bad advise as far as what should be done at our church. however if someone is giving a testamony and they qoute something from any of the other modern day preversions, we don't kick them out, now I may later, one on one share with them why we cherish the King James version. I personal don't think you will find any verses saying what you are looking concerning different transaltions. for I personal don't think that the different translation are of God, the modern translations all are working toward the one world religion which is not of God. they are being worded that all gods may be worshipped from one book, example; by taking "which art in heaven" out of Our Father, which art in heaven, hallow be thy name. to where it reads:

Yeah you wouldn't want one of your cult members coming in here they might hear some truth for a change. I go to churches with real pastors who have real qualifications, unlike yourself. Pastors and churches like yours are ones to stay away from.
 
In your opinion Cup, what English translation is best used?

Old Testament - Greek Septuagint with Apocrypha. English Translation Sir Lancelot Charles Lee Brenton.

New Testament - The Companion Bible KJV. E.W. Bullinger Notes.

The KJV NT is translated from the Greek, the KJV OT from Masoretic Hebrew, that is why in regard to the OT it must be verified by the Septuagint first as the Greek is the primary witness, if it agrees then the Hebrew - Latin- English can be quoted accurately.

Bullingers Notes are extremely important because the KJV contains many, many errors, these errors I believe are deliberate and very dangerous. Always use a good Concordance and lexicon, there are many good Bible software programs today as well that are very convieniant and helpful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.