SHOW THEM THE CROSS!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit" (I Peter 3:18).

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust! That's why sometimes I get a little angry, when people try to build up their status, or use their reputation, or their character-how when they get up to God somehow they are going to negotiate . . . maaaaaannnn!!! . . . Not according to my Bible. There is no negotiating. And if you really had the proper definition of God in your mind, and you understood Who He is, according to Scripture-you would conclude that there is no way on earth that you could even approach God . . . He is a consuming fire! He is not going to allow you to come into His holiness. My goodness!

And when you read Scripture and you find out, like I have posted before, when we deal with people-our friends or our associates. Either the Scriptures are true or they are not. And in John chapter 3, you need to read the whole chapter. I mean, you get into not only born again and that God gave His son-but you get into the fact that the wrath of God abideth on them that don't believe right now! So when I talk to somebody that is an unbeliever-the very wrath of God abideth on them. Oh, but He is a loving God! You better define His love!

As blood-bought believers, we can love Him-how? Because He first loved us!

That verse says that God so loved . . . that's past tense . . . how can God do more than He already did at Calvary? We get this mushy love out here and we get all this other kind of junk going on that's not scriptural. PEOPLE ARE DAMNED TO HELL IF THEY ARE NOT SAVED!!!!! It's not waiting for some opportune time! If the Gospel comes to them, they got to react then!!! God's Spirit doesn't have to strive with them all the time. The very fact that He died is the apex, the epitome of love. You can't do more than that!

That's why you show people the cross! Calvary! You don't show them 'religion' - you show them the cross! They have to deal with the cross. The only way you can deal specifically with that cross is to understand and be honest about who you are in relationship with God.

- You are unholy.
- Everything that you do that is right is filthy rags.
- You're own righteousness is filthy rags!

And when you get that perspective-I tell you what-you can do business with God. Only a great God can give and only a great God can give Himself. You think about Him giving Himself, and why, and you read verses like this-God defines it. It's not confusing. You don't need interpretations of dead languages . . . You can read 'thus saith the Lord'-it tells you why.

- You are a sinner.
- You are lost.
- You are undone.
- Your father is the devil.
- You have to be born again by God's Spirit to be in His family.
- There has to be a supernatural transaction that takes place.

So you need to get your perspective properly, and biblically - on Who God is, and Who Jesus is (Jesus is God) and He is God manifest in the flesh-that is the incarnation.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (II Peter 3:9).

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I must confess one eyebrow went up on the "dead" language reference.

I know by the Holy Spirit what I know, however it has given me great pleasure to read teh Word in several languages, including the erstwhile dead language, Hebrew.

Please do not think that all who study language believe they have it up on those who do not because I, for one of them, do not……….it is strictly by the Holy Spirit, in praise always of Jesus Christ, amen...…….and I like to call Him Yeshua......but that is my inclination.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Just a wee question Mr. Dogmatix - what happens to these "whoever's"?:

Mark 9:41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
I must confess one eyebrow went up on the "dead" language reference.

I know by the Holy Spirit what I know, however it has given me great pleasure to read teh Word in several languages, including the erstwhile dead language, Hebrew.

Please do not think that all who study language believe they have it up on those who do not because I, for one of them, do not……….it is strictly by the Holy Spirit, in praise always of Jesus Christ, amen...…….and I like to call Him Yeshua......but that is my inclination.
For centuries, Roman Catholics would not/could not read their Bibles because it was forbidden. They were told that only the priest could interpret it and it was not their place to try to do so. Today people are not reading their Bibles because they are convinced that they do not have the proper training in languages to fully appreciate or understand the Word. We have entered into another Dark Ages, of sorts, as the Bible is once again a closed Book. There will be many tears and some gnashing of teeth at the Judgment Seat of Christ for all those pulpit hirelings that changed the foolishness of preaching for the sophistry of education.

Paul didn't much like these gasbags either. Oh yea, he had them in his day.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Just a wee question Mr. Dogmatix - what happens to these "whoever's"?:

Mark 9:41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward.
"But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed" (Romans 10:8-11).

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
For centuries, Roman Catholics would not/could not read their Bibles because it was forbidden. They were told that only the priest could interpret it and it was not their place to try to do so. Today people are not reading their Bibles because they are convinced that they do not have the proper training in languages to fully appreciate or understand the Word. We have entered into another Dark Ages, of sorts, as the Bible is once again a closed Book. There will be many tears and some gnashing of teeth at the Judgment Seat of Christ for all those pulpit hirelings that changed the foolishness of preaching for the sophistry of education.

Paul didn't much like these gasbags either. Oh yea, he had them in his day.
No one who has received the Holy Spirit will be fooled by that kind of thinking for very long. Most of the folks I "hear" the sharing of understanding of the Word have no use for other languages, and this is perfectly normal as long as they are led by the Holy Spirit, and I believe they are.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
No one who has received the Holy Spirit will be fooled by that kind of thinking for very long. Most of the folks I "hear" the sharing of understanding of the Word have no use for other languages, and this is perfectly normal as long as they are led by the Holy Spirit, and I believe they are.
It's not so much folks that have received the Holy Spirit (saved) that I have in mind.

It's the ones that haven't come to Christ yet and are still in their lost condition.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17).

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
"No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father" (John 10:18).

What am I saying? What I am saying is . . . voluntarily . . . our Lord and Saviour gave Himself for us - voluntarily and the other part is, vicariously.

Everybody knows what vicarious means? In place of us?

Do you know that there is a religious organization that has a head of that organization that believes he is the answer to mankind on earth-that he has been given vicariously to the world. They call him 'papa', the 'pope.' He has a throne that he sits on that they consider 'ex cathedra'- when he sits on that throne, whatever he says is infallible. They write it on a piece of paper and they call it a Bull (and this preachers thinks it's nothing but bull). My word, for a man to say that he is in place of God on the planet earth-that he is the holy father-that's so devilish it stinks! That's why they don't want you to read the Bible. That's why they like to change the Bible in every way they can so that they can try to trick people. Can't trick people if they have the Word of God because they are going to check them out with the Book-and that is why it is important to know we have the Book to check them out with.

It's pretty simple to anybody that is saved and you really think this thing through logically.

Oh, we're sorry that we had the inquisition and we killed all you people, so please forgive us and let's get back to business. What's the business? We're going to be the religious head of the world-that's the business. God said so. No! You are not the rock, you are not even a stone-you are a puke. If you don't get saved, you are going to burn in hell. There is no way there is any religious entity that is co-equal with God.

Only God is God, and Jesus Christ is God and He is the Head of His Church!

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:5-6).

This passage is speaking about Jesus Christ.

- He was wounded for our transgressions - It wasn't the pope.
- He was bruised for our iniquities - No way this is the pope.
- the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed - oh yeah, I know that verse . . . they use it all the time on TV. We ain't got no diseases, we ain't got no sickness, because Jeeesuuus healed us. Yea, and like this is heaven, dummy. Can Jesus heal? In a minute! Just like that! Those stripes healed us from the wrath of God-from the penalty of sin.
- the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all - ain't no priest, ain't no potentate, ain't no preacher, ain't nobody that died for your sins. Nobody bears the wounds except Jesus Christ.

Vicariously means that He did all that for you and I-personally!

When you received Him - His death is our death.
When you received Him - His resurrection is our resurrection.
When you received Him - You entered into the Body of Jesus Christ, we are co-laborers with Him.
When you received Him - We became joint-heirs with Him.

Wow! Because of what He did-not what anybody else did.

Only a great God can give, and only a great God can give Himself.

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed" (I Peter 2:24).

You see the context? Healed from what? Healed from the penalty of sin! It goes with the stripes of Isaiah.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Why do you suppose that educated scholars like to say that the Book of Revelation is nothing more than allegory . . . a myth. It allows them to scoff at such passages as this . . .

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:11-15).

Count on it! The Lake of Fire is very much real, as well as eternal damnation in a burning, fiery pit where 'the worm dieth not.' Some teach that that 'worm' is the memory. It might mean that the sinner condemned will never forget the opportunities he/she had to come to Christ by hearing the Gospel which they rejected.

Some of you may be reading this thread right now.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Who put the Vicar in vicarious?

Enquiring minds need to know.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Who put the Vicar in vicarious?

Enquiring minds need to know.
Vicarious comes from the Latin work vicarius, which means substitute.If you have vicarious enjoyment, you have a second hand thrill. You might get vicarious thrills of adventure by reading your friend's letters from overseas.

A vicar is a representative, deputy or substitute; anyone acting "in the person of" or agent for a superior. Linguistically, vicar is cognate with the English prefix "vice", similarly meaning "deputy". The title appears in a number of Christian ecclesiastical contexts, but also as an administrative title, or title modifier, in the Roman Empire. In addition, in the Holy Roman Empire a local representative of the emperor, perhaps an archduke, might be styled "vicar".

vicar of Christ should be evident as to it's meaning.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38-39).

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it" (Ephesians 5:25).

Think about that! This salvation is actual or experiential in all who believe. Somebody asks you, Are you saved. You say 'yea!' How do you know? "I know!" How do you know? "Because I did what He told me to do, and He did what He told me He was going to do." Well, how else do you know? "He's living in here, remember, He lives, He lives, He's in my heart today . . ." A lot of songs are written about it.

I've got books that explain this. I've got a book, that after I was done reading it, I was so messed up, it was pathetic. I mean, everything he said was like . . . true? He went into metaphysical stuff - like this is what happened inside your body when you got saved, I mean, I can do it plainly like spiritual circumcision--but he went into emotions, psychological stuff, deep! And I read half the book and I'm saying, "Wow! Thank God I didn't have to know all this stuff to get saved!"

Well, how do you know you are saved? "Because I am!" How do you know? "I just know!" How can you just know? "Because I was there! He did something to me! He moved in!!!"

Now people have various and different experiences, but if you are saved you know that something happened to you. And it happened to you because of your works? No! It was because of your belief in your heart--exercising of your will to believe what God said about you. And when He told you about who you were--repentance happens . . . What do you mean? That means anything that you were trusting that made you somehow good, all of a sudden you put behind you and said, what? "None of this stuff can work. My catechism, my baptism, my communion, my confirmation--none of this stuff saves me!"

All the old ladies across the street that I helped with money, none of that! You repented, you changed your complete mind because you see, in one direction you were trying to salve you conscience--doing good works, thinking that worked--but when God came, and that Holy Spirit convicted you of your sinful condition--you cried out to God for salvation. That means, simultaneously it was like a repentance and an exercise of your will.

Everybody arguing over this stuff--ridiculous! Alls it mean is that anything you were trusting in before, you chucked it, and you turned to God and God saved you. It's a big deal!

God gave Himself for the church, and that's why you know that, and you live it experimentally every day--through the up and downs.