Silly question... Hair dye?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is it okay to dye your hair as a christian woman?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Maybe (add thoughts down below)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Oct 13, 2018
Hi guys, I've never posted a thread before so please be kind!

I'm 18 and since I was around 14 I've been dying my hair. And no, not just simple natural colours like brown, black and blonde - CRAZY colours. I've been pink, purple, blue, and a choppy mix of all three of those. I just want to know - is there a biblical perspective to say this isn't right? I no longer want to do it if I am not permitted to by God.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018

I'm 18 and since I was around 14 I've been dying my hair. And no, not just simple natural colours like brown, black and blonde - CRAZY colours. I've been pink, purple, blue, and a choppy mix of all three of those. I just want to know - is there a biblical perspective to say this isn't right? I no longer want to do it if I am not permitted to by God.
You're doing very well for your first post. :) Welcome to the community.

I don't know that there are any Biblical prohibitions. The different color dyes that are permanent like the usual hair color one's can be bad for you as far as ingredients go.
The scalp has a huge number of pores and what absorbs into the scalp also penetrates much deeper. Also, with natural color hair dyes there has been reported the cancer risk. Now there are wild color permanent dyes out there that could pose a risk too. This is a BING link with resources for you to consider with your question.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I always make my hair red...i just think its important not to over so it. Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit so maybe being watchful is good to not do it too often. But all i al i dont see a problem.
My mom would have eaten me if I had started dying my hair so soon

danja

Nov 28, 2014
I don't dye my hair but I don't see anything wrong with doing it .

Aug 12, 2013
I don't dye my hair but I don't see anything wrong with doing it .
That's good, me either. Mine is purple today, was green last month, was cyan/blue 2 months ago, and next month it will be pink, then i'll cut off the colored parts.

I only do it because I'm obsessed with the beauty of colors God allows me to see that I want everything to be colorful, and I love change.

danja

Nov 28, 2014
That's good, me either. Mine is purple today, was green last month, was cyan/blue 2 months ago, and next month it will be pink, then i'll cut off the colored parts.

I only do it because I'm obsessed with the beauty of colors God allows me to see that I want everything to be colorful, and I love change.
which is your favorite color ?

Aug 12, 2013
which is your favorite color ?
Well, if you mean for my hair, that would be either hot pink or light blue. They match me better. But my favorite color in general is the bluer shade of purple.

danja

Nov 28, 2014
Well, if you mean for my hair, that would be either hot pink or light blue. They match me better. But my favorite color in general is the bluer shade of purple.
you are too brave with colors :) I know if I dyed mine it would be something close to my natural hair color

Aug 12, 2013
you are too brave with colors :) I know if I dyed mine it would be something close to my natural hair color
Not to brag, but I am brave in everything I do. I'm widely hated because I don't hide back feelings, thoughts, personality or anything, but that doesn't mean I don't have any self control. I look so crazy and do so many different things that people can't find something exact to label me as. Maybe a freak if anything. But I grew up mostly alone, so I never really cared what people thought about me. If I try to look like someone I'm not and people appreciate how I look, then that tells me they aren't really liking me for me. Everyone tells me to keep my hair natural constantly, I get made fun of a lot, but their words about such things are only opinions, so they don't bother me. When I am wrong biblically for something, is when I care what people say how I should be.

danja

Nov 28, 2014
Not to brag, but I am brave in everything I do. I'm widely hated because I don't hide back feelings, thoughts, personality or anything, but that doesn't mean I don't have any self control. I look so crazy and do so many different things that people can't find something exact to label me as. Maybe a freak if anything. But I grew up mostly alone, so I never really cared what people thought about me. If I try to look like someone I'm not and people appreciate how I look, then that tells me they aren't really liking me for me. Everyone tells me to keep my hair natural constantly, I get made fun of a lot, but their words about such things are only opinions, so they don't bother me. When I am wrong biblically for something, is when I care what people say how I should be.
As long as it is not sin and God does not hate it,you keep doing you .It is good to be yourself and to feel free in expressing yourself .I am sure those colors would look good on you :D

Aug 12, 2013
As long as it is not sin and God does not hate it,you keep doing you .It is good to be yourself and to feel free in expressing yourself .I am sure those colors would look good on you :D
I actually went on like Gimp and stuff, and traced around my hair on a picture then change the tint/hue to every basic color to see what I would look best with. Heh

Yeah, as long as it isn't sin. Before I do anything, I make sure God likes it or at least that he has no problem with it or if it is a sin. Such as it was for me having tattoos, but the symbolism in my tattoos glorify God.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

No biblical prohibitions whatsoever. I would go for it.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I tend to the redder shades of purple, more a Magenta color :D

I dye my hair occasionally, but I am a very low maintenance type of person and do not like a lot of fuss, so I do not do it very often. When I do dye it, if the color is tending to a very blue shade of purple, I will add more color to it in streaky chunks to make it more magenta in parts. Over time, the reds fade first, and my hair turns more to a blue shade of purple and then blue, and as the blue fades it starts to look pale green. Haha, it does not bother me, to have pale green hair. It just looks a bit darker than my natural grey ;) I do not dye all my hair, though... just the back underside. I only use vegetable dyes :)

PS~ it always surprises me to see how colorless the rest of my hair is :eek:

^^ That was June of this year :)

Aug 12, 2013
I tend to the redder shades of purple, more a Magenta color :D

I dye my hair occasionally, but I am a very low maintenance type of person and do not like a lot of fuss, so I do not do it very often. When I do dye it, if the color is tending to a very blue shade of purple, I will add more color to it in streaky chunks to make it more magenta in parts. Over time, the reds fade first, and my hair turns more to a blue shade of purple and then blue, and as the blue fades it starts to look pale green. Haha, it does not bother me, to have pale green hair. It just looks a bit darker than my natural grey ;) I do not dye all my hair, though... just the back underside. I only use vegetable dyes :)

PS~ it always surprises me to see how colorless the rest of my hair is :eek:

^^ That was June of this year :)
Yeah I love that color. I think of it as the hot pink shade of purple though heh.

This is what I think the red shade of purple is
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...08034275113307206&selectedIndex=22&ajaxhist=0

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
That is a very deep shade... I like gem tones, and lighter, brighter colors :) If I had that color of dye, I would mix it with a bluer purple to get a different tone :) I do not even consider burgundy to be purple :giggle: It is far too muddy for me :D

Aug 12, 2013

In situations like this, we have to understand people didn't really have a lot of materials and stuff we have and didn't do a lot of things we do or can do. I don't think anyone dyed their hair back then in scripture, so you won't find anything like a commandment calling hair dying a sin. People cannot find answers for a lot of things, like video games, processed foods, television, cell phones, masturbation, etc. This is where we need understand why is sin a sin. We can simply take a look at all other verses and things in life that are a sin and why it is obvious when something new in the world comes through, why it would be a sin.

Remember the 80s and such with metal being a new thing and almost every pastor and preacher was going "That music is of the devil!" They were believing only pianos and such were the only godly instruments heh. Not all them but many. Later on, over just a few years we found Christian lyrics and Christians playing that genre with that sound but using it differently from their hearts. Those people were too quick to judge without understanding why that rock or metal would be a sin. It's music in general, it can be used for sin but also for God in another way.

some of the questions you may want to ask sometimes is:
1. does my dyed hair glorify God or make him look bad?
2. Am I doing this to my hair out of hate, revenge, jealousy, envying others, etc?
3. Did I steal this hair dye?
4. Am I using this on my hair to attract men/women to have sex with me before marriage?

Questions like that, and you could ask more, will let you know when your hair dye can become a sin.