Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
ben,

you really NEED to 'go back' and 're-read' your 'posts', most of them totally
CONTRADICT each other, you talk out of 'both sides of your mouth'...

you are what we call in the 'deep-south', a 'flitter-stirrer'-unteachable'...

Off123123123

Apr 3, 2006
I have no need to search my heart for any remaining sin or anything that violates God at all, seeing every millisecond I live for God is done for his glory, and no sin is done, ever, ever ever. So because of that I see no need to confess sin.

Now if I happened to have a millisecond or two during a day that every part of my heart, mind, and soul wasn't fulfilling every demand of God's law perfectly, I might see a need to confess sin, so as I'd introspect and discover it, and bring it before God.

But you know, for all intents and purposes every second I live is done while meeting the most stringent of God's demands, so no need for this confession business.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
ben,

I suggest you reread them with an open mind. There is no contradiction. This is about forgiveness, what we have in Jesus Christ. One's transparency before God of their shortcomings is not what is being discussed but the forgiveness our High Priest has obtained for us by the shedding of His blood.

Jan 21, 2017
The point still stands. Regardless of historical accuracy to the truth, revelation is always growing. Let me restate that before you lose your mind. Perception of already given revelation is always expanding as we continue to grow in the truth of God's word. Nothing new is being added, only revealed just as it happened at the Teformation. There all along, only our eyes are opened.

I, again, find no reason to provide a quote. I've provided scripture which should be your source for truth not theologians of the past.
No. Revelation is not expanding
But you know what is happening? THE GREAT FALLING AWAY, the APOSTASY is happening.
So things dont get better, but worse according to the bible.

And the reason why my point still stands is this: Holy Spirit leads into all truth, and if this "truth" has been lost for 2000 years, most likely its a false teaching. If nobody ever even considered it could be that way, that should tell ya something, that only now we get the "truth" from these rich billionaire preachers, but all the saints who gave their entire life to serve Christ just wasnt lead to that truth, but these guys on tv were huh? I aint buying it!

So again: GIVE ME THE QUOTE. If no quote, then its as I eloquently put it: "trash" that the church has never believed or even thought to believe, and should not believe today, its just another false teaching of the current cookie cutter western era.

Why cant we just believe it for what it says, who woulda thought that even confession of sins could be this troublesome? IT only takes a couple of seconds!

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I have no need to search my heart for any remaining sin or anything that violates God at all, seeing every millisecond I live for God is done for his glory, and no sin is done, ever, ever ever. So because of that I see no need to confess sin.

Now if I happened to have a millisecond or two during a day that every part of my heart, mind, and soul wasn't fulfilling every demand of God's law perfectly, I might see a need to confess sin, so as I'd introspect and discover it, and bring it before God.

But you know, for all intents and purposes every second I live is done while meeting the most stringent of God's demands, so no need for this confession business.
That is extremely facetious and not the point. You're under the paradigm this is about sinless perfection. It is not. It is about Christ's fully sufficient sacrifice for the remission of our sins and how He has reconciled us to God.

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
ben,

You nailed it! He makes "historically inaccurate" statements, gets called on it, isn't phased and doesn't bat an eye over his baseless comments, then still argues that he's still correct. Lol!!!! Not to mention his non biblical teachings as well.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
No. Revelation is not expanding
But you know what is happening? THE GREAT FALLING AWAY, the APOSTASY is happening.
So things dont get better, but worse according to the bible.

And the reason why my point still stands is this: Holy Spirit leads into all truth, and if this "truth" has been lost for 2000 years, most likely its a false teaching. If nobody ever even considered it could be that way, that should tell ya something, that only now we get the "truth" from these rich billionaire preachers, but all the saints who gave their entire life to serve Christ just wasnt lead to that truth, but these guys on tv were huh? I aint buying it!

So again: GIVE ME THE QUOTE. If no quote, then its as I eloquently put it: "trash" that the church has never believed or even thought to believe, and should not believe today, its just another false teaching of the current cookie cutter western era.

Why cant we just believe it for what it says, who woulda thought that even confession of sins could be this troublesome? IT only takes a couple of seconds!
Why are you bringing up other teachers? I am giving you scripture which you are not putting under consideration. There is an apparent contradiction between sin confession for forgiveness and the shedding of Christ's blood for the total remission of sin. God's word says where remission of these is (for sin), there is no more offering. So, why are we seeking forgiveness by God for something that has already been taken care of?

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
You nailed it! He makes "historically inaccurate" statements, gets called on it, isn't phased and doesn't bat an eye over his baseless comments, then still argues that he's still correct. Lol!!!! Not to mention his non biblical teachings as well.
Are you here to add anything to the conversation or just more strife?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Ben, you are presenting GOSPEL TRUTH. John in his epistle is presenting FELLOWSHIP TRUTH.
No, I am saying that Jesus tore the veil in two and what separated us from God (sin) has been dealt with and we are now reconciled to God.
That is correct. We are reconciled to God through the death and the shed blood of Christ. That is an accomplished fact. GOSPEL TRUTH.
What also is being stated is what the Apostle Paul says, to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive unto God.
Correct. IOW we have renounced sin -- the world, the flesh, and the Devil -- when we turned to Christ for salvation. GOSPEL TRUTH.
As we died with Christ, so shall we live.
Correct. We shall live by the power of the Holy Spirit. GOSPEL TRUTH. But you omitted another important FELLOWSHIP TRUTH. There is a constant battle between the flesh and the Spirit, which means that sometimes the flesh will control you. See Galatians 5. And this is the issue that First John deals with.
Sin shall not have dominion over us, for we are not under the law but grace.
Correct. But in practical terms being "under grace" means obeying the Law of Christ, the Law of Love, the Royal Law, the Law of Liberty. In practical terms it means that we shall live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world by the power of the Holy Spirit. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TIMES WHEN YOU FAIL AND YOU FALL? That is once again a FELLOWSHIP TRUTH.
Sinless perfection is not an evil concept, it is a righteous desire. Have we obtained it? No, but by God's process of sanctification we are ever closer.
It is certainly not an evil concept, but the exact opposite. It is God's ultimate plan for His children. But in the meantime He demands that you purify yourself, not assume that you have no need to (a) examine yourself daily, (c), confess your present sins daily, (c) repent of your present sins daily, and (d) maintain fellowship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
We must continue to approach the throne of grace in time of need to obtain mercy and grace for victory.
Very true. But unless we first recognize that we can and do sin and deal with our present sins, there can be no victory.

Off123123123

Apr 3, 2006
That is extremely facetious and not the point. You're under the paradigm this is about sinless perfection. It is not. It is about Christ's fully sufficient sacrifice for the remission of our sins and how He has reconciled us to God.
Even though 1 John 1:9 mentions confessing our sins to God, and even though Jesus in the Lord's prayer Matthew 6 tells us to ask for forgiveness when praying, it's quite clear in scripture there is no concept of Christians confessing their sins to God.

Feb 28, 2016
this is what the world, what 'ben' carnally plays, call, 'Black-Comedy-Theatre', another words,
'darkness pervading' - we grieve, that it is even 'allowed to continue in these
threads or posts'...

it's all about 'planting and exposing'!, but, only when The Holy Spirit leads...

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Then you would be disagreeing with James, who was writing by Divine inspiration (James 5).

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Do you see the connection between confession and forgiveness? Many Bible versions have "sins" in place of "faults", but it makes no difference. Our faults are also sins, and without confession and forgiveness (by God), there will be no healing according to this passage.
Thats a different story.

What about

Acts 28:7-8

7 In that region there was an estate of the leading citizen of the island, whose name was Publius, who received us and entertained us courteously for three days. 8 And it happened that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and dysentery. Paul went in to him and prayed, and he laid his hands on him and healed him.

No mention of confession of sin in order to be healed.

There are many more examples of people beinf being healed who did not confess their sins.

You have posted verses that connects confessions of sin to healing and healing only occurs when you are forgiven.

So to me your focus is healing as a result of confession and forgiveness that brings healing.

What about

John 9:1-5
Chapter 9
A Man Born Blind Receives Sight
1 Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him. 4 I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
When we sin after we are saved we offend our Savior. Jesus washed the feet of the disciples. Not because they needed to be saved but because they would have their feet become soiled as they traveled through this world. Notice that Peter said not just my feet Lord but my head also. Jesus correcting Peter saying that once saved all he needed was to keep his feet clean to serve and have fellowship with his Savior.

John 13:1 ¶ Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;
3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

When a believers feet gets dirty (and they do) how are they made clean? By the washing of the water of the Word. The Word of God has much to do with how we believers are learning how to walk Eph.5:26
[SUP]
25 [/SUP]Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
[SUP]26 [/SUP]So that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word,

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2017
Even though 1 John 1:9 mentions confessing our sins to God, and even though Jesus in the Lord's prayer Matthew 6 tells us to ask for forgiveness when praying, it's quite clear in scripture there is no concept of Christians confessing their sins to God.
Dont worry, we got expert bible pundits who get paid millions to explain away the verses we dont like. I mean sure they bring completely foreign doctrines but hey, the pastor told me im great and awesome. best not forget to tithe!!! and any less than double the regular amount and yous robbin God :D All the commandments of Jesus are old covenant, but the tithe is definately for sure 100% new covenant, it aint just for them levites!

Last edited:
J

joefizz

To me I would say that confession of sin is not a waste of time.
To me it’s actually very important.

To me I think the issue is do we have to confess to be forgiven?
But what does ‘Confess mean?

Basically it means to acknowledge/agree with.

So to me do I need to confess my sin in order to be forgiven?
I would have say no. Now the reason I say this is because what about the sins I have comitted that I wasn’t aware of and haven’t confessed? If not confessed then by implication they are not forgiven.

Further issues arise when Paul talks about regarding eating food sacrificed to idols. The weaker brother.

This is my take on it.

Adam and Eve were spiritually sperated from God because of sin.
So now there is barrier between God and man.
The intimate/loving relationship has now been lost.

So a plan set in place at the beginning.

That plan was fulfilled when Jesus hung on the cross for those awful hours where it went dark and the sins of the world were being laid upon in.

”My God My God Why have forsaken me? Into your hands I place my spirt”

Then the temple curtain was torn in two.

Now as a result we have full access to the throne of God. One sacrifice made once for all.

A loving relationship is now restored and there for the taking for those who confess their unbelief in Jesus and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead and we make him Lord of our life.

So as a result of Jesus we have a relationship with the Father.

Now with any relationship it can be strained.
On this earth its because someone had upset/offended or done something against you.
Then barriers build up. The offended puts up a barrier but also the offender does so as well (assuming they know they have done wrong but feel bad/guilty and can’t go to The offend for that reason and also fear of rejection)

Now given that God is constant concerning his love for us then any barriers built up are from our side.
Remember the curtain was torn it two.

When we get it wrong guilt, condemnation and fear of rejection sets in. This doesn’t come from God, it comes from the deceiver.

But the relationship is strained from my side.

So I have come to the conclusion that to confess is fess up, tell God I got it wrong and agree with him I got it wrong. Then I thank him that I am forgiven on account of Jesus and say please help me to become more like Jesus.

To me it’s relational.
So in a sense to me it’s “Thank you for talking to me about this, agreeing you got it wrong, it’s forgiven now we can work together”

I have 4 kids. Do they get it wrong? Yes they do. Does it strain the relationship? Yes it does.
My wife and I have aspired to be like God to them, impart his ways.
We always encourage them to be open and honest with us.
Like most kids they are not, they go behind our back and get it wrong (and funnily enough we know when they do)

Have they stopped being my kids? No
Do only forgive them when they tell me? No I have already forgiven them.
Do I manufacture an opening for them to talk about it? Yes I do.

Thats what the Holy Spirit does with us.
He tells us when we get it wrong and says now let’s deal with it.

I myself pray all the time, if I get it wrong then reveal it to me.
When he does I agree I got it wrong and ask for strength not to do it again.

I also pray if I get it wrong but don’t realise it then please let me know.
During my quiet times I ask “God if there is something I am doing that is wrong or got wrong please let me know”

Sorry for the long post.

To sum up

Confession is relational and it’s for our benefit. He is faithful and just
Confession has never been a waste of and is always good to do on that I agree Bill,allow me to add though that we after being saved,Confess to Jesus now,not priests,for he is our High priest now,so we ought confess to him alone,him being the mediator between us and God,though I still confess to God with not always mentioning Jesus,but God and Jesus are one so I try not to fret on exact words,I confess quite often to God/Jesus when I sin,with no need of a priest of this earth,and I feel so uplifted when I do,for I know I have told of my wrong doing and trust that God/Jesus will forgive me and be patient with me,for remorse for one's sins is never a waste and seeking to tell of one's wrongdoing's is never a waste,it brings us closer to God/Jesus for though one has done wrong God/Jesus always appreciates,humbleness and honesty.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
This is often an addendum that must be said that confessing one's sin to God is not being put down, rather transparency before God is being emphasized. We can be naked, if you will, before God for the very fact that Jesus purchased for us the remission of our sins. There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. We should not hide anything from God, He sees all things. So sin confession in the area of sanctification such as that we seek the Lord to deliver us is all fine and well. "Lord continue to strengthen me in this area, the temptations are real." There is nothing wrong with this.

This is about forgiveness, this thread. Parental forgiveness, as some call it, too is erroneous since Jesus tore the veil in two and took care of the very thing that alienated us from God. Sin. So to say that sin separates us from God is false because our sins of scarlet are as white as snow. He does not impute our sins to us. Jesus is our High Priest, and His sacrifice is sufficient for the remission of our sins by His blood. This is not an excuse to entertain sin, obviously. God's grace isn't a license to sin, scripture plainly states that sin shall not have dominion over us under grace.
So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
Not fully sure what you are saying.

But one thing I do agree with you “GOD’S GRACE IS NOT A LICENSE TO SIN”

No ifs or buts here

Feb 28, 2016
there are so many 'dark princes', preaching 'false-gospel' in the world today, and even
being BELIEVED by those who have 'itching-ears' = desiring to hear something pleasant, for themselves!'...

11TIM. 4:3-4.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts
shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; = desiring to hear something pleasant,
for themselves!'...

And they shall turn away their ears from the Truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Confession has never been a waste of and is always good to do on that I agree Bill,allow me to add though that we after being saved,Confess to Jesus now,not priests,for he is our High priest now,so we ought confess to him alone,him being the mediator between us and God,though I still confess to God with not always mentioning Jesus,but God and Jesus are one so I try not to fret on exact words,I confess quite often to God/Jesus when I sin,with no need of a priest of this earth,and I feel so uplifted when I do,for I know I have told of my wrong doing and trust that God/Jesus will forgive me and be patient with me,for remorse for one's sins is never a waste and seeking to tell of one's wrongdoing's is never a waste,it brings us closer to God/Jesus for though one has done wrong God/Jesus always appreciates,humbleness and honesty.
Well said.

I was gonna mention Jesus interceding for us. Didn’t do so but you did.

Thanks for doing so

unobtrusive

Jul 23, 2017
I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. (Psalm 32:5)

David wrote this because he trusted and believed in God at the time. If he didn't believe in God by faith, he never would have written it in the first place.

And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. (Acts 13:22)

We cannot separate the Word of God from the Word of God. Both are old and new, from everlasting to everlasting.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2016
He that covers his sins shall not prosper: but whosoever confesses and forsakes them shall have mercy (Proverbs 28:13).