Since some asked in another thread that I don't want to derail

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
OK, today is a perfect example.

Tried to get a receipt from a retailer. Their computer crashed instead.

Tried to make a change with our cable provider. Their computer crashed instead.

Tried to log into a banking app. Their computer crashed instead.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a computer expert say "that's not possible" I would be a rich man.

Again, every effort stymied, stonewalled, and rendered irrelevant. One occurrence, it's to be expected now and then. Two occurrences back to back, a funny coincidence. Three or more occurrences one after another ... now somebody's (satan? God?) screwing with me. AGAIN.

I watch 100 people get into a situation, take a course of action, and get a certain result. I get in that situation. I take that course of action, and what comes out of it can only be described as pure insanity.

Some say it's a Job trial. Well it's been going on for 62 years and I'm sick and tired of it.

This is not whining. This is a presentation of the facts of being born under an unlucky star, and of the line of John the Baptist.

Any suggestions?

Now, can/will God do something about this? Or is this another case of Peter's thorn?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I get very frustrated with life too. You can play by the rules but in the end you probably get screwed. Job is one persona in the bible that I can actually relate to. Jonah would be another one. At the moment I'm at a loss to offer a practical suggestion. Per usual.

S

SpoonJuly

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
Maybe someone is watching you and it is for their benefit.
And be assured, their are many whose suffering is much worse.

S

SpoonJuly

Don't forget Acts 14:22

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
2 Corinthians 12:8-10
Maybe someone is watching you and it is for their benefit.
And be assured, their are many whose suffering is much worse.
Well you're very close on that. If I accept the word I received 30 years ago about being of the line of John the Baptist, this does mostly fit and it is for one other person's benefit. And yes there are others under way worse physical suffering. No, in that respect God has always been more than gracious, I have never had want for physical things. But emotionally, spiritually ... it's been battle and drought since day 1. Stuff that'd just make you shake your head and say wt#. It's not just me, my wife watches me struggle, doing all the right things and getting all the wrong responses ... Been in counseling on and off since I was seventeen and many have said there's something going on they can't really diagnose. Pills don't work, the problem's not physical anyway.

And I think I'm on to the solution. When these things hit, I now pray the Name of Jesus over Michael C ... the one I guess I'm supposed to convert and anoint for warfare.

S

SpoonJuly

Well you're very close on that. If I accept the word I received 30 years ago about being of the line of John the Baptist, this does mostly fit and it is for one other person's benefit. And yes there are others under way worse physical suffering. No, in that respect God has always been more than gracious, I have never had want for physical things. But emotionally, spiritually ... it's been battle and drought since day 1. Stuff that'd just make you shake your head and say wt#. It's not just me, my wife watches me struggle, doing all the right things and getting all the wrong responses ... Been in counseling on and off since I was seventeen and many have said there's something going on they can't really diagnose. Pills don't work, the problem's not physical anyway.

And I think I'm on to the solution. When these things hit, I now pray the Name of Jesus over Michael C ... the one I guess I'm supposed to convert and anoint for warfare.
Just something to consider---
Often what we see as trials and tribulations are nothing more than an inconvenience and Satan makes us think things are worse than they really are.
Satan has no need to attack those who are not trying to live for God.
When Satan attacks that may be a sign that you are on the right path.
God is greater than Satan, and with his help, you can prevail.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Just something to consider---
Often what we see as trials and tribulations are nothing more than an inconvenience and Satan makes us think things are worse than they really are.
Satan has no need to attack those who are not trying to live for God.
When Satan attacks that may be a sign that you are on the right path.
God is greater than Satan, and with his help, you can prevail.
Well, that goes along with someting I was told many years ago... you can tell how powerful one might be in the kingdom of God by how hard hell works to hold them under. And I can't say that God hasn't shown me some literal 'mountain into the sea' miracles. But I've also come to see that is the exception and not the norm... for every time God steps up and intercedes, there's 1,000 times He sits back and lets poop happen. And I'm not ok with accepting those numbers. God demands 10 out of 100, why should I accept anything less? And that is one of the problems ... I don't accept that ratio. Not one bit. Yet I seem powerless to sway Him to do more.

But again, I may have found the answer. When these things hit, rather than wallow in them alone, I turn them towards Michael in prayer. We will see what comes of that.

Still doesn't answer all the questions tho.

And I appreciate you and Tourist joining in here. Too bad the rest of CC thinks I'm expendable. But then that's the way society at large looks at me, so why would I expect different here?

Maybe because we're supposed to be DIFFERENT HERE.

S

SpoonJuly

Well, that goes along with someting I was told many years ago... you can tell how powerful one might be in the kingdom of God by how hard hell works to hold them under. And I can't say that God hasn't shown me some literal 'mountain into the sea' miracles. But I've also come to see that is the exception and not the norm... for every time God steps up and intercedes, there's 1,000 times He sits back and lets poop happen. And I'm not ok with accepting those numbers. God demands 10 out of 100, why should I accept anything less? And that is one of the problems ... I don't accept that ratio. Not one bit. Yet I seem powerless to sway Him to do more.

But again, I may have found the answer. When these things hit, rather than wallow in them alone, I turn them towards Michael in prayer. We will see what comes of that.

And I appreciate you and Tourist joining in here. Too bad the rest of CC thinks I'm expendable. But then that's the way society at large looks at me, so why would I expect different here?

For you or any one to see my input as a help, that is a blessing to me. Thank You.
While you have had a lifetime of trials, my all came at once after 71 years and 11 months of perfect health.
Not so much as a cold in all those years.
God blessed me with a wonderful wife, two almost perfect kids, a successful business, and a wonderful church family, and un-told number of opportunities to help other in my small way.
I guess God may have stepped aside now and allowed me to have 19 months of health issues so as to allow me to see how blessed of a life I have lived.
My wife will not allow me to complain or give up, and for that I thank God daily.

I will pray for you.

K

Kim82

Too bad the rest of CC thinks I'm expendable
Hello Ricky:giggle:

I hope that I am not included in that sentence. Because I don't feel that way, and I'm definitely certain that most of CC does not either. But I know that there must be a reason why you feel that way.

Who is Michael? Are you referring to an angel?

I am not sure all you are going through, perhaps you talked about it in another post, but I just came across this one.

Sometime ago when I was going through some stress, I googled the question: why does God allow suffering? I did not find any suitable answers. I typed the same question in YouTube and came upon a pastor, I don't remember his name, but his reply to the question of why God allow suffering was very simple. He said, no one knows why.

I agree with him wholeheartedly. Not one person knows the answer to that. So in times of trouble, its a very unprofitable occupation to ask, why is this happening?

Sometimes its our own fault that caused the problems, and we can use those as learning opportunities. But other times they happen for no apparent reason.

In such case, the reason for bad things happening is not important. What is important is our attitude to it.

Are we going to get angry with God?

Will we backslide?

Will we stress our brains and get depressed?

Or will we have faith?

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

1 John 5:4 New International Version (NIV)
4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

Cheer up. Count your many blessings and don't focus on the negatives.

This world is not our home, we are just a passing through. Troubles won't last always.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
OK, today is a perfect example.

Tried to get a receipt from a retailer. Their computer crashed instead.

Tried to make a change with our cable provider. Their computer crashed instead.

Tried to log into a banking app. Their computer crashed instead.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a computer expert say "that's not possible" I would be a rich man.

Again, every effort stymied, stonewalled, and rendered irrelevant. One occurrence, it's to be expected now and then. Two occurrences back to back, a funny coincidence. Three or more occurrences one after another ... now somebody's (satan? God?) screwing with me. AGAIN.

I watch 100 people get into a situation, take a course of action, and get a certain result. I get in that situation. I take that course of action, and what comes out of it can only be described as pure insanity.

Some say it's a Job trial. Well it's been going on for 62 years and I'm sick and tired of it.

This is not whining. This is a presentation of the facts of being born under an unlucky star, and of the line of John the Baptist.

Any suggestions?

Now, can/will God do something about this? Or is this another case of Peter's thorn?
It just might be a case like Peters thorn.. Something there to keep you away from things that would end up leading you away from Christ..

I sometimes think i am in the same boat as you Ricky,, Maybe i am.. But if God wants to keep me away from something that will cause me to fall away then His will be done.. It makes life in this world a pain but such is life..

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Hello Ricky:giggle:

I hope that I am not included in that sentence. Because I don't feel that way, and I'm definitely certain that most of CC does not either. But I know that there must be a reason why you feel that way.

Who is Michael? Are you referring to an angel?

I am not sure all you are going through, perhaps you talked about it in another post, but I just came across this one.

Sometime ago when I was going through some stress, I googled the question: why does God allow suffering? I did not find any suitable answers. I typed the same question in YouTube and came upon a pastor, I don't remember his name, but his reply to the question of why God allow suffering was very simple. He said, no one knows why.

I agree with him wholeheartedly. Not one person knows the answer to that. So in times of trouble, its a very unprofitable occupation to ask, why is this happening?

Sometimes its our own fault that caused the problems, and we can use those as learning opportunities. But other times they happen for no apparent reason.

In such case, the reason for bad things happening is not important. What is important is our attitude to it.

Are we going to get angry with God?

Will we backslide?

Will we stress our brains and get depressed?

Or will we have faith?

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

1 John 5:4 New International Version (NIV)
4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

Cheer up. Count your many blessings and don't focus on the negatives.

This world is not our home, we are just a passing through. Troubles won't last always.
Michael is my best friend. He's Jewish, willing to tell all about his faith but unwilling to listen to mine. One night while praying for him God told me he was too comfortable... so I prayed that God would make him uncomfortable. For the next year, Michael - who succeeds at everything he attempts, failed miserably (like me) at most everything he did. He was willing to talk for a while after that, but has since become too comfortable again.

I was told many years ago I was of the line of John the Baptist - destined to spiritually wander the desert eating bugs until I have my one defining moment. At this point, given what is and has occurred, I have to assume that means my converting Michael and anointing him for spiritual warfare.

Still looking for scripture to confirm that, but that's what I have to go on for now.

So now when satan comes knocking to spread grief, I tell him to take it up with Michael.

We will see what happens...

S

Susanna

You are not expendable.

But you have to keep in mind that some people will, both in real life and here, be coming viciously after anyone not acting like those people want them to be acting.

They’ve been giving me a lot of crap too on here, but I don’t care what they’re throwing at me.

Know this, RickyZ, many on here appreciate your posts, but don’t let the haters get to you, they just want to silence you.

K

Kim82

I was told many years ago I was of the line of John the Baptist - destined to spiritually wander the desert eating bugs until I have my one defining moment
I see. But even if you are from the line of john the Baptist, that does not mean you have to be like him.

But tell me, how did this person come to know you were from the line of john the Baptist?

At this point, given what is and has occurred, I have to assume that means my converting Michael and anointing him for spiritual warfare.
How did you come to this conclusion?

So now when satan comes knocking to spread grief, I tell him to take it up with Michael.
What do you hope to achieve by requesting Satan to trouble your friend?

One night while praying for him God told me he was too comfortable
How did God talk to you? Did you hear a voice or was it a thought?

so I prayed that God would make him uncomfortable. For the next year, Michael - who succeeds at everything he attempts, failed miserably (like me) at most everything he did.
A true friend would not be happy to see his friend unhappy.

He was willing to talk for a while after that, but has since become too comfortable again.
You can't force anyone to believe in the things you do. God's will will be done. Not yours.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I see. But even if you are from the line of john the Baptist, that does not mean you have to be like him.

But tell me, how did this person come to know you were from the line of john the Baptist?

How did you come to this conclusion?

What do you hope to achieve by requesting Satan to trouble your friend?

How did God talk to you? Did you hear a voice or was it a thought?

A true friend would not be happy to see his friend unhappy.

You can't force anyone to believe in the things you do. God's will will be done. Not yours.
I think a more careful read would have answered many of these questions, but I'll briefly summarize...

I can't win for losing. I watch 100 people take a course of action and get a certain result, I take that course of action and what results out of it can only be described as absolute insanity. And failure.

Michael, on the other hand, can't lose for winning. He takes an action that is destined to fail and walks away a grand winner. Every. Freaking. Time.

Any time I try to share my faith with Michael, he interrupts, he tunes out, he walks away. So I asked God why Michael would not discuss Him with me. God said why would he, Michael is too comfortable to be interested in changing anything. So I pray, ok God, make Michael uncomfortable. For a year after that, God made Michael to be like me. So steeped in failure he won't even talk about that year, it was so traumatic to him. BUT, for a time, Michael was willing to discuss God and faith.

And it goes the other way. After a particularly hellish day, I'll talk to Michael about 'losers luck'. I know he speaks to God on my behalf (he's semi-observationally Jewish) and for a day or two my luck will change.

So I have to believe there's a spiritual tie between us. And given the history, I have to believe God intends it to be used to bring Michael to salvation. And again, given Michael's history and our interactions, I believe he is destined to become a great spiritual warrior. But first he has to see the light, which he is apparently only willing to consider when he is in failure mode.

No I don't want him to fail or be hammered upon by satan, but hey if that's how it has to happen...

The John the Baptist thing, other than my being forced to spend my life wandering the spiritual desert taking crap from the world, except for these events involving Michael, ... well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, ya pretty much gotta agree it's a duck don't you?

Time will tell...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It just might be a case like Peters thorn.. Something there to keep you away from things that would end up leading you away from Christ..

I sometimes think i am in the same boat as you Ricky,, Maybe i am.. But if God wants to keep me away from something that will cause me to fall away then His will be done.. It makes life in this world a pain but such is life..
I have certainly have endured my fair share of pain recently. Getting higher in numbers regarding my age I don't really consider that I am expendable but perhaps obsolete would be a more apt descriptive term. I feel like passing the torch and calling it good.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The John the Baptist thing, other than my being forced to spend my life wandering the spiritual desert taking crap from the world, except for these events involving Michael, ... well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, ya pretty much gotta agree it's a duck don't you?

Time will tell...
Years ago I woke up one day and found that I had trouble walking and kept swerving to the left and sort of waddling like a duck. I didn't know whether to call a vet or a mechanic.

K

Kim82

Yes life is like that sometimes. But no matter what, we have to hang on to our faith till the end. As for your friend, just continue praying for him and trust God to work it out.
I have certainly have endured my fair share of pain recently. Getting higher in numbers regarding my age I don't really consider that I am expendable but perhaps obsolete would be a more apt descriptive term. I feel like passing the torch and calling it good.
You are not obsolete! You are just as precious in the eyes of God as the young and strong.

And even the young and strong are feeling weak because the pressures of life are stressing them. They need guidance from the more mature.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Yes life is like that sometimes. But no matter what, we have to hang on to our faith till the end. As for your friend, just continue praying for him and trust God to work it out.

You are not obsolete! You are just as precious in the eyes of God as the young and strong.

And even the young and strong are feeling weak because the pressures of life are stressing them. They need guidance from the more mature.
They need to grow a pair. That hospital chart that describes pain from one to ten? Our generation's two is this generation's 10.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
They need to grow a pair. That hospital chart that describes pain from one to ten? Our generation's two is this generation's 10.
I usually run between a 3 and a 4 under the older pain standard but still tolerable. It's not so bad if you think about it.

K

Kim82

I'm not familiar with that chart :unsure: But in life there will be some suffering. Not sure which generation had it worst. We have more modern technology and medicine. But the food is not good. Too much unhealthy things added in there to make people sick. Its one step forward and one backwards.