Singles (and non-singles') Tips to Save Money (read or add your own)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Ok here's some of my tips...

- If you shop for clothes at walmart and you see something you like (a shirt or whatever).... wait 2 or 3 weeks and it will either be marked down or put on the clearance rack.

- When shopping for food items like cheese, snacks, etc... calculate the price per ounce to see which brand gives you the most food for your buck (after checking nutrition labels of course). The ounces are always printed somewhere on the package....and there are 16 ounces in a pound.

- When driving somewhere, take the route with the least amount of traffic lights. (saves gas because you're not sitting still with the engine running)

- Buy stuff in bulk when you can. It's almost always cheaper... there was only one time when I saw that it wasn't.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I had a piggybank, owl type growing up. It was awesome. 3A4FB9FF-BB5A-411E-9378-B8C7CF401A3A.jpeg

egeiro

Mar 17, 2015
As soon as I get paid, I instantly divide my money. What needs to go to bills, what needs to go to savings, what needs to be tithed, etc. So with bills - I have a direct debit that goes to my husbands account to pay for bills. All bills comes out of his account because he barely touches so I pitch in. As far as everyday spendings such as groceries, outings, clothes etc, I pay for them.

We both have a savings account under both our names and that is also a direct debit. As soon as I get paid, a standard amount gets taken out and put in to our account that gains us interest over time. I don't think about the money that gets sent to both accounts I just think about how I spend the budget I have left for myself.

I also found I spent more wisely when I started listing where I spent my money. I'd fill a memo page on my phone about how much I spent each day and what it was for. I found I was more careful when I monitored the spending.

I know it may be easier to save with two incomes but I think you can still apply those principles with a singular income anyways.

Anyways, I finally got internet banking the other day because despite my age, I am really not techno savvy, and that now monitors where my spendings go for me in to categories of food, home and bills.

egeiro

Mar 17, 2015
And ALWAYS buy toilet paper in bulk when its half price because no matter what, you are going to need toilet paper.

And when the more expensive self-care products like shampoo and moisturizers are half price are half price, I buy two lots to last me until the next 50% off sale.

The inner Asian in me always looks for the bargains and sales... my el-cheapo mother taught me well.

egeiro

Mar 17, 2015
OOOOO - and also meal prepping!

Usually on Sunday nights and through out the week, I cook dinner literally for a family of five. My husband and I eat our share and I package the left overs in to Chinese takeaway containers and freeze it. That way our lunch is all ready for the week and we don't end up buying take out or eat a lot of expensive small packaged snacks.

I also enjoy sand papering and repainting old furniture. Our dining table and chairs, balcony table and coffee table were furniture from second hand stores that my husband and I have redone up. There's also something therapeutic about doing this.

I also love bath bombs and learnt to make my own, turns out most of the ingredients can be found in the cooking isle at most local grocery stores. Another thing is the paintings in our home are my own. I was basically too cheap to pay for someone else's glorified finger painting piece so I made my own.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Utilize the Dollar Tree store!! EVERYTHING is a dollar. I get nearly everything I need there, including frozen food. :)

My parents give me their plastic grocery bags, and empty rinsed-out juice bottles. I then use the bags for garbage bags, and I make up koolaid or iced tea in the juice bottles. (y) I also re-use empty liter water bottles and put Propel water mix in them.

Need fan clips to keep the grill from popping off? Use twisty ties from loaves of bread. Tie one on either side of the grill, and that baby won't move. LOL

I repurposed a magazine holder into a toilet paper holder. Ummm, what else... *thinks*

Do NOT buy expensive cleaners. Lemon juice and vinegar work wonders, and if you get them at the dollar store, it's only $2.. Vinegar also kills mold.

I'll add more later, after I've had my coffee.. lol

Nov 26, 2012
Only go to Costco fifteen minutes before it closes.

egeiro

Mar 17, 2015
The first Costco to open in my city of Australia happened four years ago. I still haven't gone there to this day. I truly haven't lived yet.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Budget: Write down what's going to be coming in and where it is going to be spent ( and don't forget those non-monthly expenses like car insurance or licensing much nicer to break it out monthly than to scramble to find and extra several hundred dollars when it suddenly hits)

Resist the deal: because sales and deals are there to make you spend more and it's no deal to pay to buy junk you don't need and would never buy except to get the deal.

Use old fashioned cash: For most people, it's harder to part with actual cash than to just swipe a little plastic card and have electronic numbers change, so they spend less when using cash

Avoid debt: the net effect of debt is to pay more because you were impatient to have something and didn't wait till you had the $ saved up for it.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Dawn dishwashing liquid kills bugs. And it doubles as a shampoo. And a car wash. And hand soap. And a lot of other stuff. And a little Dawn Ultra goes a long way for not much money.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Dawn dishwashing liquid kills bugs. And it doubles as a shampoo. And a car wash. And hand soap. And a lot of other stuff. And a little Dawn Ultra goes a long way for not much money.
I use Dawn too, not sure if it's Ultra Dawn so I will have to check. I will add a little dishwashing tip, to easily remove baked-on stuff from pans put about a half teaspoon of Dawn in pan or dish, fill with water, add a Bounce dryer sheet and let soak for 10 minutes. It can easily be cleaned with a green scrungy pad in seconds. Works every time.

T

toinena

Never go shopping hungry, make a list and buy when items are sold cheaper because it is close to the best before date. Then freeze the stuff you need.

T

toinena

If you are a member in the Union or other organizations, check if they offer cheaper insurances. Check also if you have insured twice, like travel insurance might be offered at work or as a membership benefit.

T

toinena

If you have green thumbs or not, you can grow your own mung sprouts. They are easy to do, the beans are really cheap and you can have them is salads, on sandwiches, in woks or in stews. And they are healthy.

T

toinena

Buy clothes that are easy to combine with eachother. Then you don't need so many clothes, but you can vary your outfits.

T

toinena

If you are single.... don't waste money on expensive underwear. No one is going to see them, anyway.

T

toinena

Check phone subscriptions and internet connection. Do you need so much data, or can you do with less?