Sinning against the holy spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tea_time

Nov 1, 2020
[Apologies if this is mentioned in another post - I couldn't find it, if it is]

Sinning against the holy spirit is mentioned in the Synoptic gospels

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."
Luke 12:10 KJ

"But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation"
Mark 3:29 KJ

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."
Matthew 12:31-32 KJ

Its an unforgiveable sin; over the years I've heard very different interpretations of this. Given the high stakes as its on unforgiveable sin I'm surprised I haven't heard more reference to these passages in sermons.

I'm curious what do you believe is sinning against the holy spirit? and could you give an example?

thank you

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
This is frightening, and the truth. The Holy Spirit gives the Torah, and the word Torah is often translated as law. It is a list of all the ways of the Lord. Somehow we need to think of the word Torah in so many cases in scripture, not as we think of it as hard rules, but as the spirit of the Lord.

Scripture was first given to man in the language of the Hebrew, a language that simply can't be translated completely.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
IMO, it's calling the work of the Holy Spirit demonic or satanic. Or vice versa....calling the work of demons/Satan the work of the Holy Spirit.

The Pharisees likely committed this sin when they accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Beelzebub. Right after they said this, Jesus mentions the unforgivable sin.

So....be very careful with your spiritual discernment indeed. There may be a high price to pay if you are not.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Blasphemy
Blasphemo Blas - to speak against phemo - the Spirit
The Spirit is our teacher of all bible truth, so beware.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Blasphemy
Blasphemo Blas - to speak against phemo - the Spirit
The Spirit is our teacher of all bible truth, so beware.
The first Christian councils made made changes to scripture, saying they could do that because it was the Holy Spirit that gave them the authority. They sincerely believed that and even convinced most men of the church of that time it was right. Even today, we accept many of the changes they made as right, yet scripture tells us never to add or take from scripture.

The Holy Spirit is the voice of the Lord and that voice was set at creation of our world.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I don't believe this applies today . This was aimed at those that visibly saw the miracles and still said no to Jesus .

Tea_time

Nov 1, 2020
The first Christian councils made made changes to scripture, saying they could do that because it was the Holy Spirit that gave them the authority. They sincerely believed that and even convinced most men of the church of that time it was right. Even today, we accept many of the changes they made as right, yet scripture tells us never to add or take from scripture.

The Holy Spirit is the voice of the Lord and that voice was set at creation of our world.
Can you give examples or references of this? so that I can look into it more

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Can you give examples or references of this? so that I can look into it more
I used the net to read the reports of the councils, but that was about five years ago. I simply used a google search. Of course, anything on the net can come from any source, some not at all reliable. But they list where the information comes from or who is sponsoring the report.

The Catholic Church kept wonderful records through the years. You can read them without any of their dogma attached.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
[Apologies if this is mentioned in another post - I couldn't find it, if it is]

Sinning against the holy spirit is mentioned in the Synoptic gospels

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."
Luke 12:10 KJ

"But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation"
Mark 3:29 KJ

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."
Matthew 12:31-32 KJ

Its an unforgiveable sin; over the years I've heard very different interpretations of this. Given the high stakes as its on unforgiveable sin I'm surprised I haven't heard more reference to these passages in sermons.

I'm curious what do you believe is sinning against the holy spirit? and could you give an example?

thank you
The chapter Mark 29 shows scribes from Jerusalem committing the sin..

Simply read it in context and it should become clear::

Mark 3: KJV
22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils. {23} And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan? {24} And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. {25} And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. {26} And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end. {27} No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house. {28} Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: {29} But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: {30} Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
This verse is also distorted to guilt trip believers into fear and bondage . Many Christians believing they have perhaps committed this sin and or are constantly in fear of doing so. Their is nothing to fear as a believer in Christ . You cannot commit this sin today.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is mentioned in Matthew 12:22-32 and Mark 3:22-30. This case of blasphemy is a specific one. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was casting out demons in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that Jesus had an unclean spirit and casts them out by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons. (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30). Jesus was specific about what they did to commit "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and these Pharisees who committed this unforgivable sin were not believers.

B

Blackpowderduelist

I don't believe this applies today . This was aimed at those that visibly saw the miracles and still said no to Jesus .
There is actually a good point here. Because look at the circumstances. Jesus was doing all manner of miracles good works saving people that they knew were in horrific condition, from leprosy to demon possession. They spoke against Jesus saying that these good works were by an evil spirit, knowing other wise. However I believe that Jesus issues this warning because they had not yet crossed that line but had gotten dangerously close.
We have a precarious position here because we know that the many antichrists will perform many wonders, and it may be impossible for us to know the difference right off. That person may have to reveal themselves by long term fruit before we can recognize them.
So I kind of lean toward this isn't really applicable to is today because we don't have Jesus standing in front of us performing these kinds of miracles and pronouncing the gospel in such an authoritive way.
They were rejecting what they knew to be the Holy Spirit.

L

lenna

it would be more of a surprise if you thought it still applied

you don't believe in too much it would seem, that is applicable to you

L

lenna

The "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is mentioned in Matthew 12:22-32 and Mark 3:22-30. This case of blasphemy is a specific one. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was casting out demons in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that Jesus had an unclean spirit and casts them out by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons. (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30). Jesus was specific about what they did to commit "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and these Pharisees who committed this unforgivable sin were not believers.

while I agree with what you wrote, I will add that many still call a godly miracle demonic

that's a fact. a sad fact

Jun 11, 2020
The matter of the unforgivable sin is not too complicated. The first thing is to take the context. And, as many have already said, the Pharisees attributed a work by the Holy Spirit to Beelzebub. In Luke 11:20 we learn that our Lord Jesus did not cast out the demons by His power - but God's. It reads; "But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you." This power was derived by being Baptized in water and then receiving the Holy Spirit as Acts 2:38 declares. After His Baptism we see, in Luke 4:1-15; 1 "And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, .... 14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about." So the accusation was not against a MAN, but God Himself.

Next, our Lord Jesus did TWO miracles that had never been seen in Israel till then; (i) the giving sight to the blind, and (ii) casting out of demons. Raising the dead and the healings had already been seen in Elijah and Elisha'a time, but these two were obviously from God. Thus, a man knowingly and willfully defamed God by the accusation that He was Beelzebub

The next thing to consider is that the warning encompasses THREE AGES. The threat is (i) if a man, in this age, attributed a work of God to Beelzebub, he would not be forgiven in this age, nor (ii) the next age, but (iii) and the next age after that, which is the age of the Lake of Fire. This important because the accusation did not come from the Gentiles. It came from the religious leaders of Israel who represented God's religion. In Matthew 21:33-46, in the parable of the Vineyard, those who killed the HEIR, knew who he was. And in verse 45-46, the Pharisees knew that our Lord meant them in the Parable. So the motive for opposing Christ by the religious leaders of God's religion, lay not in ignorance. It was planned because of political jealousy.

Likewise, in Christianity today, there are religious Leaders, who, when a man sent by God joins their Assembly, know who he is but conspire against him. And it is not past a Christian with a jealous heart to attribute the work of the Holy Spirit through the new brother or sister, to the devil. Watch out Christians! The next age is still before us. You might have well served the Lord for 30 years, and then, in one jealous moment, you attribute the work of the Holy Spirit in another brother to the Devil. I've seen it written in Christian Forums. A brother has been given light on a subject in scripture and speaks on it. The others do not at first understand. Watch your mouth before you attribute his argument to the Devil. It might have been a work of the Holy Spirit. Ignorance is not an excuse in Law.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015

What "changes" did they make? Please give the scriptures that were changed.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
It was a national sin, not an individual sin. It is not a sin that any person could commit today. The Bible makes it very clear that every sin is forgivable to the individual who will come to God through Messiah’s blood; the nature of the sin is irrelevant. When Jesus died on the cross, He did not die just for some kind of sins and not for others; He died for every type of sin.
Although this was a national sin and not an individual sin, this is not a sin that some other nation could commit — Jesus was never physically present with any other nation offering Himself as that nation’s Messiah.

Jun 11, 2020
It was a national sin, not an individual sin. It is not a sin that any person could commit today. The Bible makes it very clear that every sin is forgivable to the individual who will come to God through Messiah’s blood; the nature of the sin is irrelevant. When Jesus died on the cross, He did not die just for some kind of sins and not for others; He died for every type of sin.
Although this was a national sin and not an individual sin, this is not a sin that some other nation could commit — Jesus was never physically present with any other nation offering Himself as that nation’s Messiah.
I understand that the Bible addresses the INDIVIDUAL without limit. The threat covers "this age".

Matthew 12:32; "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

Mark 3:28-29; "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme. But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation"

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I understand that the Bible addresses the INDIVIDUAL without limit. The threat covers "this age".

Matthew 12:32; "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

Mark 3:28-29; "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme. But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation"

Not sure what you mean ? Are all sins paid for at the cross ?

L

lenna

while I agree with what you wrote, I will add that many still call a godly miracle demonic

that's a fact. a sad fact

and also shocking for some reason...:unsure: