Social Climbing

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
27,513
129
0
73
It seems to me there are two types of Christians. First, there are those who are trying to do the Lord’s will. Then there are those who are climbing the social ladder.

It’s nice to know which is which, because the social climbers can cause a lot of damage in a church. How do you know which are the ones who are trying to do the Lord’s will and which are the social climbers?
 
fruit of the social climber = lemons:(

fruit of the beliver= peace, love, joy, kindness, longsuffering......:)
 
It seems to me there are two types of Christians. First, there are those who are trying to do the Lord’s will. Then there are those who are climbing the social ladder.

It’s nice to know which is which, because the social climbers can cause a lot of damage in a church. How do you know which are the ones who are trying to do the Lord’s will and which are the social climbers?

Some climb the social ladder in business because God told them to and they give the money to His work.
Humbleness I think is how you can see the difference and self gain or giving.
 
It seems to me there are two types of Christians. First, there are those who are trying to do the Lord’s will. Then there are those who are climbing the social ladder.

It’s nice to know which is which, because the social climbers can cause a lot of damage in a church. How do you know which are the ones who are trying to do the Lord’s will and which are the social climbers?

Dare I suggest that there is only ONE KIND of Christian....see embolden....don't know what those other guys are..... :)
 
Some climb the social ladder in business because God told them to and they give the money to His work.
Humbleness I think is how you can see the difference and self gain or giving.


Hmm, not sure about this.......to me there is a huge difference in working hard in the calling God calls one to and providing Him the fruits of that labor and "Social climbing," but maybe that's just me.
 
Hmm, not sure about this.......to me there is a huge difference in working hard in the calling God calls one to and providing Him the fruits of that labor and "Social climbing," but maybe that's just me.

What is meant with social climbing? A paid ministry in church?
I meant just in the world. Some people want a great job to buy a big house and everything for themselves, but there are also businessmen with the gift of giving. One bought houses for people who are getting the harvest in.
 
What is meant with social climbing? A paid ministry in church?
I meant just in the world. Some people want a great job to buy a big house and everything for themselves, but there are also businessmen with the gift of giving. One bought houses for people who are getting the harvest in.

As I understand the concept of Social climbing, it is an activity people do to benefit themselves, not to advance the Kingdom of God. It is a "self" thing, not a "God" thing. But, as I said, that may just be me.

I know business people who are quite successful, and good Christians, and give liberally to God's Kingdom, but none of the them would I classify as a Social climber.
 
Some climb the social ladder in business because God told them to and they give the money to His work.
Humbleness I think is how you can see the difference and self gain or giving.
The social ladder is something in the mind, where you are competing with others for attention. Being in a high place, whether it’s business, government, or church, doesn’t make you a social climber. You are a social climber when being in a high place is more important to you than serving the Lord.
 
As I understand the concept of Social climbing, it is an activity people do to benefit themselves, not to advance the Kingdom of God. It is a "self" thing, not a "God" thing. But, as I said, that may just be me.

I know business people who are quite successful, and good Christians, and give liberally to God's Kingdom, but none of the them would I classify as a Social climber.

Yes that's normally the reason people do it, but some just get a business or great job from God and give to the church. One pastor in England got a church member who was a millionair. A real ordinary humble man and he just gave it to the church.
 
The social ladder is something in the mind, where you are competing with others for attention. Being in a high place, whether it’s business, government, or church, doesn’t make you a social climber. You are a social climber when being in a high place is more important to you than serving the Lord.
Oh okay. Well in church it doesn't matter if they just want a high position and money.

Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill:*16*The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;17*but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.*18*What then? Only*that*in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.
 
Hmm, not sure about this.......to me there is a huge difference in working hard in the calling God calls one to and providing Him the fruits of that labor and "Social climbing," but maybe that's just me.
Social climbing is a term used for people engaged in self-aggrandizement rather than service to the Lord. I find it particularly painful when I see it happening in the church.
 
Oh okay. Well in church it doesn't matter if they just want a high position and money.

Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill:*16*The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;17*but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.*18*What then? Only*that*in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

It’s extremely important in the church. When a group of social climbers maneuver themselves into positions of church leadership, they can destroy the church.
 
Social climbing is a term used for people engaged in self-aggrandizement rather than service to the Lord. I find it particularly painful when I see it happening in the church.

I agree, and I too would be very sad to see this occurring in my church.......thankfully, it does not rear it's ugly head, but then, were one to desire to do so, it would be a VERY SHORT CLIMB! :)
 
I agree, and I too would be very sad to see this occurring in my church.......thankfully, it does not rear it's ugly head, but then, were one to desire to do so, it would be a VERY SHORT CLIMB! :)

Now you've made me curious, what church is it?
 
Now you've made me curious, what church is it?

The Church I attend..........and, come to think of it, pretty much all of the Churches I have attended are quite similar in that they are small congregations, and pretty much down home folks with no great wealth to speak of. Although one of the churches I used to attend actually had a millionaire as a member. She was a wonderful, Godly person, and still is. She did not hold herself out as anything special, actually just the opposite. She was always looking to see how she could serve others, and never spoke of her worldly wealth.
 
It’s extremely important in the church. When a group of social climbers maneuver themselves into positions of church leadership, they can destroy the church.

Just don't pay them much and you'll find the good ones for the job. We never have this problem in Holland where most pastors don't even get paid.
No sorry not true, even then you have it because they want to take over and be in a position or steal sheep and start their own thing.
 
Last edited:
How to see it is quite obvious. They're full of themselves and boast about their qualities, come in and the first day talk about that they want a position and they don't talk to the normal people.