some church fathers on speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Thank you Garee for asking a question I understand. Private Interpretation from the context means that Scripture did not originate with humans. Let's look at the text.

Now that we looked at the Scripture Translations below, true prophecy is Scripture given by the Holy Spirit.

Some teach that Prophecy in the NT is full of errors and therefore not inspired by God.
https://www.tms.edu/m/tmsj2h.pdf The NT makes no such human error prone definition of prophecy.

Which raises the question, why are not "modern prophets" added to the Scriptures? Even Cults like Mormonism and Christian Science added their false prophets to the Scriptures in separate books.

2 Peter 1 Good News Translation (GNT)
1 From Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ—

To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have been given a faith as precious as ours:

2 May grace and peace be yours in full measure through your knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

God's Call and Choice
3 God's divine power has given us everything we need to live a truly religious life through our knowledge of the one who called us to share in his own[a]glory and goodness. 4 In this way he has given us the very great and precious gifts he promised, so that by means of these gifts you may escape from the destructive lust that is in the world, and may come to share the divine nature. 5 For this very reason do your best to add goodness to your faith; to your goodness add knowledge; 6 to your knowledge add self-control; to your self-control add endurance; to your endurance add godliness; 7 to your godliness add Christian affection; and to your Christian affection add love. 8 These are the qualities you need, and if you have them in abundance, they will make you active and effective in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But if you do not have them, you are so shortsighted that you cannot see and have forgotten that you have been purified from your past sins.

10 So then, my friends, try even harder to make God's call and his choice of you a permanent experience; if you do so, you will never abandon your faith.[b] 11 In this way you will be given the full right to enter the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

12 And so I will always remind you of these matters, even though you already know them and are firmly grounded in the truth you have received. 13 I think it only right for me to stir up your memory of these matters as long as I am still alive. 14 I know that I shall soon put off this mortal body, as our Lord Jesus Christ plainly told me. 15 I will do my best, then, to provide a way for you to remember these matters at all times after my death.

Eyewitnesses of Christ's Glory
16 We have not depended on made-up stories in making known to you the mighty coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. With our own eyes we saw his greatness. 17 We were there when he was given honor and glory by God the Father, when the voice came to him from the Supreme Glory, saying, “This is my own dear Son, with whom I am pleased!” 18 We ourselves heard this voice coming from heaven, when we were with him on the holy mountain.

19 So we are even more confident of the message proclaimed by the prophets. You will do well to pay attention to it, because it is like a lamp shining in a dark place until the Day dawns and the light of the morning star shines in your hearts. 20 Above all else, however, remember that none of us can explain by ourselves a prophecy in the Scriptures. 21 For no prophetic message ever came just from the human will, but people were under the control of the Holy Spirit as they spoke the message that came from God.

16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.[f] 17 For when he received honor and glory from God the Father and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son,[g] with whom I am well pleased,” 18 we heard this voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain. 19 And we have the prophetic word made more sure. You will do well to pay attention to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21 because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

2 Peter 1:16-21 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
16-17 We were not following a cleverly written-up story when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ—we actually saw his majesty with our own eyes. He received honour and glory from God the Father himself when that voice said to him, out of the sublime glory of Heaven, ‘This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased’.

18-19 We actually heard that voice speaking from Heaven while we were with him on the sacred mountain. The word of prophecy was fulfilled in our hearing! You should give that word your closest attention, for it shines like a lamp amidst all the dirt and darkness of the world, until the day dawns, and the morning star rises in your hearts.

False prophets will flourish, but only for a time
20-21 But you must understand this at the outset, that no prophecy of scripture arose from an individual’s interpretation of the truth. No prophecy came because a man wanted it to: men of God spoke because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

jj
2 Peter 1:16-21 The Message (MSG)
16-18 We weren’t, you know, just wishing on a star when we laid the facts out before you regarding the powerful return of our Master, Jesus Christ. We were there for the preview! We saw it with our own eyes: Jesus resplendent with light from God the Father as the voice of Majestic Glory spoke: “This is my Son, marked by my love, focus of all my delight.” We were there on the holy mountain with him. We heard the voice out of heaven with our very own ears.

19-21 We couldn’t be more sure of what we saw and heard—God’s glory, God’s voice. The prophetic Word was confirmed to us. You’ll do well to keep focusing on it. It’s the one light you have in a dark time as you wait for daybreak and the rising of the Morning Star in your hearts. The main thing to keep in mind here is that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of private opinion. And why? Because it’s not something concocted in the human heart. Prophecy resulted when the Holy Spirit prompted men and women to speak God’s Word
Thats also why God required checks and balances. The persons prophesy must be able to be confirmed. I am sure many prophets, even the big ones, had years of speaking small prophesies which were local and could be redilly verified quie quickly. So they could be truted with the big ones which many were not fulfilled in their day.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Thats also why God required checks and balances. The persons prophesy must be able to be confirmed. I am sure many prophets, even the big ones, had years of speaking small prophesies which were local and could be redilly verified quie quickly. So they could be truted with the big ones which many were not fulfilled in their day.

That sounds like an rationalization Friend. Maybe, a study of each OT prophet being called and first prophecy would benefit both of us.

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

20 “But a prophet might say something that I did not tell him to say. And he might tell people that he is speaking for me. If this happens, that prophet must be killed. Also a prophet might come that speaks for other gods. That prophet must also be killed. 21 You might be thinking, ‘How can we know if something a prophet says is not from the Lord?’ 22 If a prophet says he is speaking for the Lord, but what he says does not happen, you will know that the Lord did not say it. You will know that this prophet was speaking his own ideas. You don’t need to be afraid of him.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Thank you Garee for asking a question I understand. Private Interpretation from the context means that Scripture did not originate with humans. Let's look at the text.

Now that we looked at the Scripture Translations below, true prophecy is Scripture given by the Holy Spirit.

Some teach that Prophecy in the NT is full of errors and therefore not inspired by God.
https://www.tms.edu/m/tmsj2h.pdf The NT makes no such human error prone definition of prophecy.

Which raises the question, why are not "modern prophets" added to the Scriptures? Even Cults like Mormonism and Christian Science added their false prophets to the Scriptures in separate books.
It seems that you have completely missed the thrust of that scripture.
Notice that Peter begins by saying: "We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it..." vs 19

He then AUTHENTICATES prophecy by connecting it to scripture. In effect saying that before scripture was scripture, it was prophecy.
That God spoke through the prophets, which was prophecy, and then it was written down, which made it scripture.
Now read verse nineteen again with that in mind. He's not telling them to pay attention to the scriptures. The church doesn't need to be told that. He's telling them to take notice of prophecy. The prophecy that was coming forth in the church at that time. "... you will do well to pay attention to it..." - vs 19

2 Peter 1:19-21 NIV
We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.