While exploring the basis of my faith, it did not take long to discover the Hebrew Roots movement. In truth; I hold much in common with their beliefs. Their rejection of church doctrine and insistence on using the entire Bible are especially aligned with my views. But I found a problem.
Many “Roots” believers have a blind focus on dietary restrictions. It almost feels like they use this issue to separate themselves from other believers. I have no problem if a believer follows the Mosaic Laws to please YHWH, I wear Tzitzits for the same reason. While no proponents hold these restrictions necessary for salvation, several publicly and very firmly avow it is a sin not to follow the Mosaic dietary restrictions.
I have respectfully asked “Roots” leadership if this is not selectively following the Mosaic Law. That same law allows or requires:
Killing false prophets
Refusing to live in Egypt
Not to drink wine of idolaters
To set apart a portion of the bread dough for the Priest
To offer up incense twice daily
To bind God's Word on the head and the arm
To read the Shema in the morning and at night
Permits taking a captive woman as a wife
Requires building a parapet on your roof
Allows a rapist to marry his victim
Requires killing those who support an abortion
I will stop there for brevity; It’s a very long list (613). If Hebrew Roots followers believe the dietary restrictions are valid today as written, then are not these also valid today as written?
No one has responded to my inquiries.
It is obvious to me we are required to keep all 613, not in flesh, but in the spirit! The spirit of dietary restrictions is refusing to eat anything that may be bad for you. I’m not afraid of a well cooked pork chop, but MSG and red-40 are deadly. Those I should not eat.
Why do we make this so difficult?
Many “Roots” believers have a blind focus on dietary restrictions. It almost feels like they use this issue to separate themselves from other believers. I have no problem if a believer follows the Mosaic Laws to please YHWH, I wear Tzitzits for the same reason. While no proponents hold these restrictions necessary for salvation, several publicly and very firmly avow it is a sin not to follow the Mosaic dietary restrictions.
I have respectfully asked “Roots” leadership if this is not selectively following the Mosaic Law. That same law allows or requires:
Killing false prophets
Refusing to live in Egypt
Not to drink wine of idolaters
To set apart a portion of the bread dough for the Priest
To offer up incense twice daily
To bind God's Word on the head and the arm
To read the Shema in the morning and at night
Permits taking a captive woman as a wife
Requires building a parapet on your roof
Allows a rapist to marry his victim
Requires killing those who support an abortion
I will stop there for brevity; It’s a very long list (613). If Hebrew Roots followers believe the dietary restrictions are valid today as written, then are not these also valid today as written?
No one has responded to my inquiries.
It is obvious to me we are required to keep all 613, not in flesh, but in the spirit! The spirit of dietary restrictions is refusing to eat anything that may be bad for you. I’m not afraid of a well cooked pork chop, but MSG and red-40 are deadly. Those I should not eat.
Why do we make this so difficult?