Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
actually not one spirit filled person here likes your mocking.

not one

God has a Son too you know. you injure His body and snark at people because you feel you have some kind of authority

you arrive on the scene way after anyone else but you are going to get it all under control...your control

never ever gonna happen dude

never

ever

I have seen you misunderstand what people say from the first day you arrived and it would seem that is how you roll
No evidence of the Holy Spirit in this post. If you are above reproof you are indeed in a most grave situation.

Tone down the vitriol and provide useful scripture to convey your intent.

Heb 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
FYI I said nothing unacceptable to you or to anyone here.

Thank you
Sigh. You do tend to come across as flippant. I have yet to find any humor in your provocative and dismissive replies.

If you respect the word of God then provide scriptural support for your comments.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
this is interesting

tell me...anybody...how is it not acceptable for a mod to say this or that but perfectly fine for the rest of the crew to tell him to move on, lie about and to him and act like unsaved hooligans that have no respect for anyone?

rhetorical question

but maybe people who do not usually carry on the way Twhatever does can think on that

cute dog by the way
Post 2166 provides your answer.

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
This shows the problem of communication with short statements.
If our minds want to, they can be put in many different contexts, which is why practising
believing the best of others is a good way to go.

But maybe the automatic fire of statements that predominate the world is more difficult
to unlearn. When I was much younger sarcasm duels were very common, and sometimes
a laugh, except they distort too much if used as everyday conversation.
I made a mistake. (I finally wanted to know what it felt like) 😉

I apologized and CS1 accepted my apology and afforded me grace without my having to work for it. Just like God.

Jul 23, 2018
this is interesting

tell me...anybody...how is it not acceptable for a mod to say this or that but perfectly fine for the rest of the crew to tell him to move on, lie about and to him and act like unsaved hooligans that have no respect for anyone?

rhetorical question

but maybe people who do not usually carry on the way Twhatever does can think on that

cute dog by the way
I have never seen a mod with the humility and longsuffering of csi.
That alone is beyond his accusers.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Has anyone learned how to pray and be answered? I'm asking because I wonder what a "dog" is in Matthew 7:6, but I don’t want a canned response from some man/woman you may have trusted in the past. I want to know what it means, not what someone THINKS it means. Thanks.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Jul 23, 2018
Has anyone learned how to pray and be answered? I'm asking because I wonder what a "dog" is in Matthew 7:6, but I don’t want a canned response from some man/woman you may have trusted in the past. I want to know what it means, not what someone THINKS it means. Thanks.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
He frames dogs and swine as a descecration.

I can tell you exactly what is being said.
God gives you revelation.
Your dear brothers come along and muddy it up. You see that they desecrated a precious thing God showed you or did for you or did in you.

Here is Jesus's picture he painted;

You have company over. You cooked him a huge tbone steak. He takes a bite them gives the entire thing to the dog lying under the table.

You feel violated. Offended.

Thats what we and Jesus want to avoid.
Basically like giving a statavarious violin to a gorilla.

7seasrekeyed

I have never seen a mod with the humility and longsuffering of csi.
That alone is beyond his accusers.

there are a few here who constantly rip him apart

like hyenas in a group encircling a lion

that's the picture that comes to mind

I get pictures in my mind..saves on words and most likely since I am an artist, God and I have that kind of conversation :giggle:

referring to some of what you said, when something goes missing I always ask for help to find it...and I find it!

is that in the Bible though? :unsure:

one time I needed new slippers. found em in the right color on sale same day and I was thankful. I need news ones again though LOL!

7seasrekeyed

Post 2166 provides your answer.

ok...if I understand what you mean, I did respond to your post but I was thinking of times past...before your arrival...you have not yet seen the ugliness that can develop

it's fearsome and I would ban the lot or give them warnings that would keep them up at night :eek:

like I said...rhetorical question

I could have been clearer

notuptome

May 17, 2013

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Are you saying that God does not answer your prayers? I would suggest that you get with someone and pray together and learn how to pray. I could say many things here on the forums but you need to have someone in person to join with you in prayer to learn.

God always answers the prayers of the saints of God. If we have unconfessed sin that can and will impede our prayer life.

God desires that we should pray. We are told in Hebrews to come into His presence. We are told in the epistles that the effectual prayer of the righteous availeth much.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 28, 2016
I hope you wear a name tag with phone number when you go out because you seem to get easily lost
LOL.... I Got it all marked out. If it gets worse I will get one of those under the skin devices. (earth to Garee)

Never know might need a GPS to get around the block ..

I am not lost at all. I am aware of the foundation of the doctrine of tongues as to the law spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14. I have a good understanding what the law confirms.. It would seem you are lost looking for a foundation. . Which is not the working out of the doctrine of tongues ( Acts 2) it was also used to being the prophecy of Joel .To those that the sign is not against.

It's in the old testament seek and you will find or simply destroy that one and create your own sign as wonderment creator .. make a unknown noise or fall backward show something that says we will not be restricted to a faith that alone comes as it is written , )precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line;.) we will do our own free will whatsoever thing comes out of our own mouth,.

The law is there as a must. Is that not necessary for your own self and you can add whatsoever your own mouth declares.like “Saw lasaw saw lasaw.Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw. Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”Ga goo goo

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: Isaiah

I think the sign as a law spoken of in 1 Corinthian 14 inform us of those with no faith as in mankind.... .using the flesh of a Jew both ways ,belief ….new faith and unbelief... no faith the froword generation of natural unconverted mankind. hey seek after signs and wonders... Not after prophecy alone.

As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.Jerimiah 44: 16-18

notuptome

May 17, 2013

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Dogs in the NT often refers to Gentiles. Jews saw Gentiles and dogs. Compare Mat 15:26.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
LOL.... I Got it all marked out. If it gets worse I will get one of those under the skin devices. (earth to Garee)

Never know might need a GPS to get around the block ..

I am not lost at all. I am aware of the foundation of the doctrine of tongues as to the law spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14. I have a good understanding what the law confirms.. It would seem you are lost looking for a foundation. . Which is not the working out of the doctrine of tongues ( Acts 2) it was also used to being the prophecy of Joel .To those that the sign is not against.

It's in the old testament seek and you will find or simply destroy that one and create your own sign as wonderment creator .. make a unknown noise or fall backward show something that says we will not be restricted to a faith that alone comes as it is written , )precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line;.) we will do our own free will whatsoever thing comes out of our own mouth,.

The law is there as a must. Is that not necessary for your own self and you can add whatsoever your own mouth declares.like “Saw lasaw saw lasaw.Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw. Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”Ga goo goo

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: Isaiah

I think the sign as a law spoken of in 1 Corinthian 14 inform us of those with no faith as in mankind.... .using the flesh of a Jew both ways ,belief ….new faith and unbelief... no faith the froword generation of natural unconverted mankind. hey seek after signs and wonders... Not after prophecy alone.

As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.Jerimiah 44: 16-18
Your continued comparison of 'tongue-speakers' to sign-seekers is both incorrect and insulting.

Someone who has been given the gift of speaking in tongues isn't seeking after signs; the two are not synonymous. Was Cornelius seeking a sign when he came to faith? No; he was seeking the Lord, and the Lord demonstrated His acceptance of Cornelius by giving him the gift of speaking in tongues. In that case, the tongues-speech was not a sign to any unbeliever or faithless person, because there were no unbelievers present.

By the way, despite your continued insistence that there is no such thing as a sign gift, in this case, the tongues-speech was both... a gift to Cornelius and his companions, and a sign to Peter and his companions. A sign of what? Unbelief? No; of acceptance by God!

Mar 28, 2016
actually not one spirit filled person here likes your mocking.

not one

God has a Son too you know. you injure His body and snark at people because you feel you have some kind of authority

you arrive on the scene way after anyone else but you are going to get it all under control...your control

never ever gonna happen dude

never

ever

I have seen you misunderstand what people say from the first day you arrived and it would seem that is how you roll
We should be careful the log could be in our own eye.

Isaiah 57:3-4 (ERV)
Come here, you children of witches. Your father committed adultery,and your mother was unfaithful. You are children out of control, full of lies. You make fun of me.You make faces and stick out your tongue at me.

God did not take that sitting down.... make fun of me and I will with stammering lips mock you until your head rolls off. . . LOL .

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. Isaiah 28:11-13

And the fulfilment of the law to cofirm the sign of those who create their own oral tradition for self - edification , self-wonderment

In the law
(Isaiah 28) it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthian 14:21-22

Mar 28, 2016
Your continued comparison of 'tongue-speakers' to sign-seekers is both incorrect and insulting.
Insulting to who? God who mocks or those who mock God with stammering lips? . If you are not desiring to add to the cannon of scripture why would you seek after prophecy the tongue of God. . . the tongue of the gospel ? Something missing?

Someone who has been given the gift of speaking in tongues isn't seeking after signs; the two are not synonymous. Was Cornelius seeking a sign when he came to faith? No; he was seeking the Lord, and the Lord demonstrated His acceptance of Cornelius by giving him the gift of speaking in tongues. In that case, the tongues-speech was not a sign to any unbeliever or faithless person, because there were no unbelievers present

Un-believers (no faith as it is written) do not have to be there in order for the faith of Christ to work in the person to both will and perform his good pleasure. Believers need prophecy also it how they grow.

Yes they are not seeking but hearing prophecy. No effect on their part...Metaphorical signs follow after one has heard the word of God's prophecy.

A person has to voluntarily humble them self to seek to make noises without meaning . My first thoughts ga ga goo goo, . bop shee bop shee bop , rang eee dang ding dong . Not mocking I simply do no see the idea that we walk by sight after the temporal and not using the prescription (2 Corinthians 4:18) as if the kingdom did come by observing signs and wonders as shadows of the eternal .

Its what little babies do cry out and hope Mom has or Dad has a supernatural understanding. Cornelius knew what he was saying and hearing. God gave Him words. not unknown sounds to speak and ears to hear others as they prophecy.

By the way, despite your continued insistence that there is no such thing as a sign gift, in this case, the tongues-speech was both... a gift to Cornelius and his companions, and a sign to Peter and his companions. A sign of what? Unbelief? No; of acceptance by God!
No such thing as a sign gift as that which the eyes see, Spiritual unseen gifts yes. the two words are never shown as working together .Sign are for those who believe not prophecy. Prophecy for those who do have a new faith to believe God.

We have the whole source of faith it produces the living work.. need to go above that which is written for self edification?

The law of signs that appose prophecy is clear. 1 Corinthians 14:22-23 makes it really clear as to what the sign does confirm .

Still waiting for your answer . Two choices.. A. belief (faith) or B. un belief (no faith)?
.[/QUOTE]

7seasrekeyed

We should be careful the log could be in our own eye.

Isaiah 57:3-4 (ERV)Come here, you children of witches. Your father committed adultery,and your mother was unfaithful. You are children out of control, full of lies. You make fun of me.You make faces and stick out your tongue at me.

God did not take that sitting down.... make fun of me and I will with stammering lips mock you until your head rolls off. . . LOL .

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. Isaiah 28:11-13

And the fulfilment of the law to cofirm the sign of those who create their own oral tradition for self - edification , self-wonderment

In the law (Isaiah 28) it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthian 14:21-22

yeah well you have a jungle growing yourself

complete with monkeys. howler monkeys

don't loose that name tag

what's wrong with you? Isaiah all the time?

are you really as old as that? a contemporary of Isaiah?

just plain weird the way you respond

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Not sure why you have coupled dog with how to pray to get answers?

I keep a running conversation with God throughout my day. He answers sometimes that I hear His Voice, and other times in impressions.

But, receiving what we pray for? Again, not sure what you are asking, but He said this to me...” I am a King, and you are my daughter. You can expect to receive the benefits of living in My Kingdom, now”.

Now dog..

G2965
κύων
kuōn
koo'-ohn
A primary word; a dog (“hound”), (literally or figuratively): - dog.
Total KJV occurrences: 5

I have a foxhound and in searching out the breed, I found all hounds are from the same line, but breeders take certain features to get the results they want.

A hound is a common breed. Mixed.

Children of God are royalty.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Insulting to who? God who mocks or those who mock God with stammering lips? . If you are not desiring to add to the cannon of scripture why would you seek after prophecy the tongue of God. . . the tongue of the gospel ? Something missing?
It is insulting to those whom God has graciously given the gift of speaking in tongues, as described in 1 Corinthians 12.

I would eagerly seek to prophesy because the word of God tells me to eagerly seek to prophesy (1 Cor. 14:1). Such prophecy is not additions to Scripture. I keep telling you that, and you keep ignoring me, yet you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that I or anyone else believes that such prophetic words are additions to Scripture. You've got nothing, so drop it.

By the way, the word is "canon", not "cannon".

Un-believers (no faith as it is written) do not have to be there in order for the faith of Christ to work in the person to both will and perform his good pleasure. Believers need prophecy also it how they grow.
True. However, as there were no unbelievers present, and Scripture states that Cornelius spoke in tongues, we can conclude that the "purpose" of tongues as stated in 1 Corinthians 14 was not relevant in this case.

The Scripture does not state that Cornelius prophesied. That's your addition.

Yes they are not seeking but hearing prophecy. No effect on their part...Metaphorical signs follow after one has heard the word of God's prophecy.
The Scripture says nothing about metaphorical signs. It talks about actual events that demonstrated to Peter and his companions that God accepted gentiles into the faith of Christ.

A person has to voluntarily humble them self to seek to make noises without meaning .
It is only you and other cessationists who believe that the words are without meaning. If I go to China, and cannot understand what the people are saying, do I conclude that their words are without meaning? No; rather, I conclude that they are speaking a language that I do not understand. There is a massive difference.

My first thoughts ga ga goo goo, . bop shee bop shee bop , rang eee dang ding dong . Not mocking I simply do no see the idea that we walk by sight after the temporal and not using the prescription (2 Corinthians 4:18) as if the kingdom did come by observing signs and wonders as shadows of the eternal .
You plainly do not understand. Your mind is closed. Whether you think you are mocking is irrelevant, as God is your judge. So it is wise for you to keep your poor imitations to yourself.

Cornelius knew what he was saying
There is no scriptural support for that. Once again you are going above what is written.

No such thing as a sign gift as that which the eyes see
There is no scriptural support for that statement either.

Prophecy for those who do have a new faith to believe God.
Or for that one.

The law of signs that appose prophecy is clear. 1 Corinthians 14:22-23 makes it really clear as to what the sign does confirm .
There is no "law of signs", the word is "oppose", and tongues do not oppose prophecy.