Songs That Hurt to Listen To...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Depression, i have been there before.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I read that Aretha Franklin had her first child when she was 12 years old.

uh

anyway. I guess some people just have em young?!

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
I'm really enjoying all the thought-provoking feedback people are providing...

@phil36 and @Rosemaryx, I think you made important points about having to be careful about what we listen to.

I can't say that I have an "official" eating disorder, as I've never been medically diagnosed, but I'm very open about the fact that I all too easily lean towards "disordered eating." Food is its own drug in and of itself.

I was going through an especially tough time in my life where this was really taking over, and there happened to be a popular song on the radio with lyrics that chanted, "more, more, more," which, at the time, is the exact same way I felt about certain foods. God convicted me to stop listening to that song (when I had a choice -- unfortunately, we often don't have one, such as at work,) because I believe He was trying to tell me that the lyrics were reinforcing my troubled feelings towards food.

This also made me think of Rosemary's post about listening to all love songs -- I have this hunch that the songs we listen to feed whatever we are most vulnerable to becoming addicted to. Whether it's romantic love, alcohol, drugs, drama, love relationships, sex... I often wonder how much healthier people would be if they were able to filter all those background messages out.

I know that for myself, I have to be careful with lyrics that say things such as, "I just can't get enough," "I need more," "More is never enough," etc., because it seems to shift my focus to the wrong things.

While I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't make the struggle go away, I have often wondered if people who feel that way about food would find themselves eating less (and maybe even losing some weight,) if they cut out any kind of message that keeps telling them, "I need more and I just can't get enough," day in and day out. I also wonder if it would help others with nearly any other addiction they might be facing, no matter what it is to.

@TheIndianGirl -- Thank you so much for your post -- I can relate to much of what you're saying. I've tried to "convert" to Christian music but find much of that problematic as well. For some reason, there are very few songs I like -- it's normal for me to sample 100 songs and maybe like only 1 -- and because of that, I either listen to the same songs I do like over and over, or else opt for playing podcasts/videos in the background instead.

Thanks for letting some of us know that it's ok that we might not be able to relate to music as well as others.

It's been very interesting to read people's thoughts on this (as well as the songs they share,) and I hope you all will continue! :)
I battle binge eating too and have found Overeaters Anonymous really helpful. Also the New Id course run by Kim Helmsley in the UK.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

Remember this album coming out when i was a teen. To me this song was about escaping my pain to go off to a fantasy world. Where i had friends, a clear mind and freedom. It was bittersweet. Even to this day this song affects me.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

Another one from my teens...

Cringe at the sight
Weary within sorrows plight
Man's hand has scarred again
Over my wooden soul

Crucified once more
Fallen down, ugly and sore
Principality marks and
Chips my wooden soul

Lies
Man cannot be trusted

My savior bleeds
Calloused hands
With fury's need
To break my wooden soul
My wooden soul

Tear it down, this human hold
Where's the answers I'd hoped to find?
Release me from the chains that bind

Lies
Man cannot be trusted

How many times must I try
I put my faith in you
Only to be let down
Faced pushed to the ground
And no one cares

Human hold
Takes it toll
No control
Woodensoul

A

Alyd20

Songs that remind me of high school
This song is in my senior year video it makes me miss my friends.
I miss the good ole days of high school and being with my Friends.
It was my Jam when I was a sophomore in high school I loved it when it come out
I was at this show best graduation gift ever oh my goodness I was so excited to see my favorite band again Jonas brothers fan since I was little oh my goodness I was just so emotional seeing them again.

jennymae

Feb 28, 2020
To me the pain Hank Williams Sr. is displaying in his music literally makes me relax in a moody way. I grew up not far from where he did, and whenever I’m in those parts I can’t help but thinking about whether he has seen the same skies, the same trees or the same creeks I’m looking at when I’m out there.

Sometimes whenever some country music guy on the radio is playing that song, Old Country Church, or The Log Train, for that matter, despite how sad it makes me feel, my heart is filled with joy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what about that Friday song
Rebecca Black.

sooooo bad lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
apparently when that song was released, nobody would be friends with her and in high school, she had food thrown at her, though, It seems like its normal to throw food in the US.

She said it ruined her life. (the song)

A

Alyd20

Part 2 country music some of my favorite artists
Maddie and tae
My jam since 1st grade in 2008
Oh my goodness 90s country makes me happy
Queen Dolly
Queen Reba

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I love music :) Each generation has exceptionally talented musical
artists who are like spokespeople for their peers, and their music
becomes the soundtrack of many lives, especially while those
listeners are young, and these songs always seem to carry special
weight as the years go by, even if our music tastes greatly change
over time. There are certain genres I have just never really cared for,
and others that hold a primary place in my heart. I find it interesting
that some characterize certain genres as evil, even if and when they
are singing praises to our Lord :unsure: As to songs causing me pain?
Hmmm. Some songs make me cry, but I do not consider this a bad
thing, partially because as I age and become more acquainted with
how evil humanity really can be, with an attendant increase in cynicism
and feelings of being jaded, it is nice to know my heart still holds certain
sentiments in high enough esteem to move me to tears even though the
idealism and naiveté of my youth are greatly diminished. Music can be,
as others have made mention, a master at moving emotions, and sometimes
I find those movements very informative, perhaps especially from a nostalgic
point of view, in how certain songs affect me.

Now with most everything being online and at our fingertips, it is so easy to revisit
these songs of my youth, and also read up on the band members and their histories,

which again I find not just informative on many fronts, but somehow fills in gaps I did
not even know were there. It helps personalize it for me to a greater degree. I have been
watching Mindhunters the last few days, which is set in the mid-to-late seventies, and at
one point, a TOTO song was playing in the main character's car as they were driving.
Of course I had to check to make to make sure this was a correct time-line, and then
got majorly side-tracked reading up on this band and watching videos of them in concert.
And oh, yes, one of their songs brought tears to my eyes: Africa. This concert was recorded
on March 17th 2018 at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam; I was going to post it yesterday
for @kinda for the extended drum solo starting @ 4:38 ~

The funny thing for me is that this song is not particularly connected to any specific major
event in my life. It was, however, during a time of great change in my life, as I had just moved
out west and my life was in constant upheaval and turmoil from one source or another, which
was balanced somewhat by my being steadily employed in the profession of my choice :)

Other artists that meant a great deal to me at that time I hardly listen to any more...
and when I do, they fail to move me in the way I remember being moved all those
years ago. Rickie Lee Jones and Pat Benatar come to mind in this regard. I can still
listen to their music and marvel at their proficiency and talent as musicians, singers,
and writers, but other than that something seems to be missing. Conversely, others
that I may have really liked in my youth have taken on even more meaning as I age.

I experienced this phenomena watching a Tom Petty video...

I wrote this in another thread about this song and band a while back:

Hard to believe Tom Petty has been gone for over two and a half years now :cry:

I love watching the looks that pass between the members as they perform this song,
showing their obvious affection for each other. Some of them were together for about
40 years. And that cute little shrug that Tom gives after saying "Watch her walk" @ 2:14,
gosh, they are all so young and beautiful. And Tom chewing gum while singing LOL.
Way to go, Tom. Thanks for all the music and memories. R.I.P. with much love :love:

When someone very close to me passed away suddenly almost thirty years ago, this
song later really helped me grieve; even though it was on the debut studio album by
American singer-songwriter Natalie Merchant, released on June 20, 1995, which was
two and a half years after the fact of my loved one's death, it made me cry buckets:

Another very special song for me connected with this person's passing was this one:

Though that is the extended version and not the original ;)

There are many songs and artists that have held their place in my heart for me.
Artists such as The Moody Blues, Dire Straits, The Cowsills, Santana, and even
Richard Harris of MacArthur Park
fame :D

Far too many to mention or post here, and yet I cannot leave off without a nod to this one:

This song, as beautiful as it is, does make me sad, because it is inextricably
linked with the time when I was getting together with the man I married...
some of the most painful memories and biggest failures of my life, made
more bearable through the magic of music.
Hey Magenta, dig some of your choices there. Roxy Music, the Fixx...

As to this thread, what an interesting idea. Seoul you've done it again with these deep conversation-starting threads.

I cannot say that I have too much to contribute to this one, though, as music does not cause me any kind of deep pain (that I can think of at this time, anyway), but there are pieces and songs that move me in different directions, rather notably. Don't know if anyone cares, but...

* The Scorponok scene piece in Transformers. There's such a profound sense of nobility, honor and patriotism in that underlying music that it nearly brings me to tears, especially when the A-10s are taking off.

* The Orca theme. Yikes, this is one, profoundly melancholy piece (the movie's tragic).

* The Art of War, from Battleship. Man... this thing screams personal heroism, nobility and honor -- traits I wish I had in more abundance. I get lost listening to this with a deep longing.

* Blasphemous Rumours, Depeche Mode. I find this song -- despite the music and vocals, which are stellar -- increasingly difficult to listen to.

* And then, there's Sacrifice, on the Colossal Trailer album. This thing pokes at my heart like few pieces do. It makes me long for a great, heroic purpose, and almost mocks me because of how far short I am of being such a man who could fulfill such a purpose.

* Then, there's Rock Lobster, by the B-52s. Stupid thing makes me want to dance even while I'm driving.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what...I thought this thread was songs that hurt to listen to not your favourites!

Seoul if you still reading this thread you probably dont want to hear this one...could be stuck in your head for days

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Part 2 country music some of my favorite artists
Maddie and tae
My jam since 1st grade in 2008
Oh my goodness 90s country makes me happy
Queen Dolly
Queen Reba
Country fan? I never got into country music. What is it about these that affects you?

kinda

Jun 26, 2013

This song is especially annoying to me.

I will stop here, before I get into trouble. lol

S

SimpleSheep

This song hurts me to listen to because my grandma would sing it. It was sung at her funeral service by a very talented lady from her church. I love the song but I get teary eyed when I hear it.

To sum it up...he's basically telling God that he's given up fighting and God has won the reins of his heart with His love for him.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I actually had the idea for this thread churning around in my head for a while, but since its topic literally just happened to me 5 minutes ago, this seems like a pretty good time to post it.

What songs come around that are actually painful for you to listen to?

I don't know if anyone else does this, but I purposely load my music playlist with a couple of songs that I used to like, but now actually hurt to listen to for various reasons. I do this because, 1. I feel like it's one of God's ways of making sure I'm not always choosing just the things that I like, as we are often called to do things we don't want in this life, and 2. I believe it's one of the ways God tests my heart and shows me its condition.

Most of the "painful" songs I load onto my playlist have a very strong negative emotional association for me, and so the song in and of itself becomes a litmus test as to how far (or how little) I've moved on, and what feelings or reactions I need to ask God for more help with.

One of the best examples in my playlist just cued up a few minutes ago -- and as soon as I heard that oh-so-familiar instrumental beginning, I immediately pushed the "Skip" button.

Obviously, I'm still attached to some negative emotions that this song always brings me back to, though on its own, it's a beautiful song, and one that I liked when it first came out. However, over time, this song became a reminder of the one of the most difficult times in my life, and sometimes, even just the introduction brings some of those feelings jolting right back.

It literally hurts to listen to, and I find myself asking God if I'll always feel this way, or if there's more work He's wanting to do that I have just been resisting.

Does anyone else have an experience like this as well?

* What songs do you find painful to listen to (if you'd like, feel free to name them or share a link), and, if you are wanting to share, why do these songs hurt?

* I know there could be other reasons a song is painful to listen to -- it might not be your style, or maybe it was a song someone else made you listen to even though you didn't like it. Feel free to list those kinds of reasons as well.

* Are there any songs that you couldn't listen to because of how much they hurt, but as time went on, God healed your heart, and you were able to start listening to, or liking them again? Or do you think these tunes will just always hurt?

I have actually had a few times where a song that always used to "hurt" before actually stopped hurting, and I took it as a sign that it was time to thank God for getting me through that time in my life, and, let "my heart go on."

What have your experiences been like?

May God bring us all to a time of peace and rest in His goodness during these very trying times!

One of my personal most pain-inducing songs is this:

How about you?
It's ironic the song is My Heart Will Go On. Or is it? Does that song remind you of someone who died (which based on the chorus, I think is the intended meaning), or does it remind you of someone you're trying to forget? (which is what I'm assuming... that it is a guy you want to forget) Cause if it's the later, you don't want their heart to go on inside yours, you want to get them out.

There was a time I couldn't listen to "Idol" singing performances with a pal because the songs were basically all love songs, about one making an effort to woo someone, or someone asking to be wooed more (like Genie in a Bottle), which made me too sad to listen to it; because I knew I couldve pressed to 'get/secure' someone gone, but my mind tells me it would have just prolonged the inevitable.