Sorry, but I don't date Baptist!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
How much would you be willing to change or accept of another's denomination when considering marriage?

Denomination is something I'm probably a little too strict about, for example, it would bug me if I couldn't have my children baptized, or even worse, her church uses conteperary music. Lol

The topic isn't about me, and I'm fine with Baptist. I just wanted to hear some opinions. I would think those who hold to similar doctrines would be more attracted to each other.

T

toinena

It is a very good question. I think baptism is a crucial thing to agree on. Fortunately (or not) it is not likely I will get pregnant again, and the prospects of marrying again is getting less for every day.

I am brought up in the Lutheran church, and for me not to baptize my child within the first year would be very strange. I am also, even though I have considered it at times, not baptized as an adult, because I see the faith I had as a child to be valid, although I was saved at 19.

If we don't have children, I wouldn't have any problems going to a pentecostal, baptist or charismatic church, as long as the teachings there are sound and according to the Scripture. I am not a member of the Lutheran church anymore, anyhow.

I would prefer to do house church. That is my dream to host house church in my home. Where people of many cultural and religious backgrounds can come together to worship and to study the word. I would love for a future husband to be part of that dream.

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
I absolutely wouldnt "change" my faith to be married, Christ comes before all things, even my family and loved ones.

As for denomination, I dunno, I dont really have one. Id be willing to like.... participate in my spouses, if they had one, as long as it was reasonable. Like, obviously Im not gonna be okay with being a "Jehovas witness" or anything. And Im doubtful I could do Catholic, unless they denied teachings like the adoration of Mary and any legitimacy to the Pope.

As for marrying someone not of Christ.... I mean there would be a few things I might be okay with, like I posted above. But outside the faith in general, I dont think I could do it. It would all be circumstantial, obviously. But anyone who completely denied Christ and planned on staying that way, absolutely not.

Any denomination of Christianity, like I said, it just depends on where they are Biblically. Do they believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but also believe in things like predestination (something I dont believe)? Thats fine, its a minor issue I dont care about. If they doubt the divinity of Christ and claim He was something other than He told us He was, its much less likely.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I grew up in the Roman Catholic church and my wife grew up in the RLDS church. Those two churches are polar opposites. lol After my wife and I received Christ through faith, attending either one of those churches was out of the question for both of us. We started out attending a Baptist church, but today attend a non-denominational church (which is similar to Baptist in doctrine). My wife gets freaked out in charismatic churches, so that is also out of the question, but we both agree that we MUST attend a church that holds to ESSENTIAL CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
wow, that is a miracle to me that you were brought together and are still together!
bless you both

Amberlight

Oct 8, 2016
It is a very good question. I think baptism is a crucial thing to agree on. Fortunately (or not) it is not likely I will get pregnant again, and the prospects of marrying again is getting less for every day.

I am brought up in the Lutheran church, and for me not to baptize my child within the first year would be very strange. I am also, even though I have considered it at times, not baptized as an adult, because I see the faith I had as a child to be valid, although I was saved at 19.

If we don't have children, I wouldn't have any problems going to a pentecostal, baptist or charismatic church, as long as the teachings there are sound and according to the Scripture. I am not a member of the Lutheran church anymore, anyhow.

I would prefer to do house church. That is my dream to host house church in my home. Where people of many cultural and religious backgrounds can come together to worship and to study the word. I would love for a future husband to be part of that dream.
Your a widow ?

Feb 7, 2015
How much would you be willing to change or accept of another's denomination when considering marriage?

Denomination is something I'm probably a little too strict about, for example, it would bug me if I couldn't have my children baptized, or even worse, her church uses conteperary music. Lol

The topic isn't about me, and I'm fine with Baptist. I just wanted to hear some opinions. I would think those who hold to similar doctrines would be more attracted to each other.
That may be a joke, but I do hope we all know that our church (in fact, ALL of our churches) uses "contemporary" music when compared to what people who began the church would recognize.... or even what people who founded this nation would recognize.

Last edited:

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, or whatever, I'd date her if she's a fox. Then if I succeeded at bringing her around to my way of thinking, I'd marry her.. Date and convert, that's how you turn a stone cold fox into a hot fox. :)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, or whatever, I'd date her if she's a fox. Then if I succeeded at bringing her around to my way of thinking, I'd marry her.. Date and convert, that's how you turn a stone cold fox into a hot fox. :)
LOL! That's funny! :D

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I believe it's known as flirt to convert. From what I hear it's not very successful though...

Maka

Jun 26, 2017
Then you fall in love, but her beliefs don’t change. What happens then? Pain and heartache. Never again! I’d rather live my life alone than date a guy who will marry me for looks if I convert to his faith. That’s a deal breaker lol

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Then you fall in love, but her beliefs don’t change. What happens then? Pain and heartache. Never again! I’d rather live my life alone than date a guy who will marry me for looks if I convert to his faith. That’s a deal breaker lol
He was only joking, right? :confused:

N

NoNameMcgee

change? like change my beliefs to please a woman?
nothing at all... not one thing if it isnt biblical

i dont claim any denomination... and i wont judge someone by what ever title they cling to... but depending on their actual beliefs i can see how id refuse to date someone

mines bolded

^_^

Aug 2, 2009
Remember these two "wild and crazy guys"? They're always wanting to date american foxes..

Redeemed2015

Jul 2, 2014
"Do not be unequally yoked.." Contextually we know that this phrase in reference to relationships with believers and unbelievers. I would argue that you can also be unequally yoked with believers. Now, this concept didn't exist at the time of The Messiah and His disciples since at the time they were only known as "The Church"/"The Assembly"/"Israel". I would say, dating across denominations can cause division in a relationship and as we all know division is not a good thing in the Body of The Messiah. If you seek the affections of one who is a believer but have differing opinions on certain aspects of Faith, as long as you can both agree on The Messiah being the only way to The Father and to Salvation then a relationship can be established. However when in reference to Marriage I would say seek council, not of man but of God and read HIS word together. Take away denominational bias and exegetical commentary and strictly look and study what the Words of the Father say, then after enough time has elapsed and the two can come to consensus on scripture then and only then should Marriage be considered. Otherwise you will be divided, and if you are wed you become one House, one flesh and a house divided against itself cannot stand.

U

Ugly

I absolutely would not date someone whose spiritual beliefs were not close to mine. I came out of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement and could not date someone heavily into that. I left it behind for a reason so it would be a step backwards and a source of conflict to be with someone into that.
And that's not "judging" the person, despite what another poster falsely claimed. I am not judging anyone, I am making a conscious choice to stay away from teachings I believe to be unbiblical.
While I claim no specific denomination I do still have standards of where I draw the line.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
I'd probably have a tough time falling in love if that were the case... You can't turn a stone cold fox into a smoking hot fox if she's incapable of an attitude adjustment. But of course, being somewhat superficial myself, if she were a real knockout, perhaps I'd be willing to adjust my belief a tad. Its not a deal breaker if you can find a happy median.