Speak Your Mind.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Need to slice something? Here.......

Need to mash your 'taters? Here....

Need to pulverize something? Here......

"Utensils" is relative, right?
:)

4ChristAlone

An gadget I have to use a "smart device" for is a no-no for my kitchen.

okay, according to wiki thermomix is something that came out in the 60's, soooooooo
mayyyyyyyyyyybe if someone gifted me an old one, I might consider useing it.
Another thing, they dont make things the way they used to, they used to make things to be work horses, for example as I am in my 50's and my grandmotherr passed away 20 years ago (at 74) I still have her Kitchenaid mixer, works like a champ. But if watch some of the food channels with these newer kitchenaid mixers they are through them every other year. So you can imagine how tempting it might be to purchase 1 piece of equipment to do the job of 12 other things, HOWEVER when one thing breaks down ALL 12 things that it takes the place of goes with it. When you think about it that way, this smart technology is the stupidest purchase.

Another example, we got rid of 25 year old kitchenaid dishwasher (not because it no longer worked) but because the coating on the racks (which held the dishes) in it had actually began to peel back and the underwire began to rust, but the thing worked perfectly. So we decided on kitchenaid again (lasts forever, or so we thought, not anymore). So when we bought the same brand it began to leak at the gasket within 7 months. I cant tell you how sorry I was giving up my older version, it happens with everything these days, save your money, I have become a collector of all things old and out of style and love having working dumb stuff and staying out of debt repurchasing crappy smart stuff.

Sorry, I ranted little.

G

Godsgirl83

Sorry, I ranted little.
thread title : SPEAK YOUR MIND........
so speak it ;)

hey! I'm a rare one........mid 30's with an "old school" mind set.
My phone isn't very "smart" at all....... in fact get this, it FLIPS open.....
and if I want to use the camera I have to find where in the house it was last placed.......
and if I want to be online GET THIS...... I use a computer/laptop :eek:
and my directions are searched and printed out or the occasional use of the garmin. (though we are trying to make sure we teach our kiddos and that they understand how to read a good old fashioned map)
Oh and NO credit cards :eek: and our vehicles are paid for..... mines older and almost ready to be considered "classic" and we COULD get collector plates on it but in our state there are 1 or 2 months out of the year that collector plates can not be on the road so then I'd be without for that time and THAT's not an option.........

see? Easy to rant and ramble :D;) (I do it all the time :LOL: )

G

Godsgirl83

they dont make things the way they used to,
you're right on that.
Vehicles are a great example.
Those old school cars in the 30's 40's & 50's (my interest in them kinda stops there, so don't know much bout the 60's &70's but think they were too) were built like tanks.....
SOLID.

4ChristAlone

thread title : SPEAK YOUR MIND........
so speak it ;)

hey! I'm a rare one........mid 30's with an "old school" mind set.
My phone isn't very "smart" at all....... in fact get this, it FLIPS open.....
and if I want to use the camera I have to find where in the house it was last placed.......
and if I want to be online GET THIS...... I use a computer/laptop :eek:
and my directions are searched and printed out or the occasional use of the garmin. (though we are trying to make sure we teach our kiddos and that they understand how to read a good old fashioned map)
Oh and NO credit cards :eek: and our vehicles are paid for..... mines older and almost ready to be considered "classic" and we COULD get collector plates on it but in our state there are 1 or 2 months out of the year that collector plates can not be on the road so then I'd be without for that time and THAT's not an option.........

see? Easy to rant and ramble :D;) (I do it all the time :LOL: )
Me and you sound EXACTLY alike in these things lol Me too, I still use a camera to take a picture if needed, I only use a computer laptop to post online, and I still have my flip phone, and wouldnt want it any other way (except one, only if I could have our landline back) but a construction worker clipped it while it was not in service at the time and they will not fix it to obtain service again, so we are out of luck there. Both of our vehicles are paid off an are 3 years shy of classic status. Although one thing I allow is one credit card (with a very low amount of credit available) just so I can add it online and make certain purchases when and where I might need to without having to put a debit card online. And I grew up in a day where you got yourself places without the help of google maps so I don't even know how to do that gps thing anyway, but then again I dont really go anywhere that I need directions. I might kick myself when I actually do or just bum a ride with someone who knows how to work that thing lol.

Too funny, I think they call people like us Luddites or something, who avoid high tech crap

Amber1980

Dec 5, 2020
I may be old fashioned in many ways but sure would miss electricity and indoor plumbing just saying lol

L

Live4Him

Me and you sound EXACTLY alike in these things lol Me too, I still use a camera to take a picture if needed, I only use a computer laptop to post online, and I still have my flip phone, and wouldnt want it any other way (except one, only if I could have our landline back) but a construction worker clipped it while it was not in service at the time and they will not fix it to obtain service again, so we are out of luck there. Both of our vehicles are paid off an are 3 years shy of classic status. Although one thing I allow is one credit card (with a very low amount of credit available) just so I can add it online and make certain purchases when and where I might need to without having to put a debit card online. And I grew up in a day where you got yourself places without the help of google maps so I don't even know how to do that gps thing anyway, but then again I dont really go anywhere that I need directions. I might kick myself when I actually do or just bum a ride with someone who knows how to work that thing lol.

Too funny, I think they call people like us Luddites or something, who avoid high tech crap
Hey, how'd you wind up over here?

You could be deadly on a thread entitled "Speak Your Mind"...lol.

(She and I have been friends for many years)

G

Godsgirl83

Hey cool! Think I just learned something new.......
I'm on a different device than I normally use but just accidentally hit the arrow under a user name and all this info came up under the icon. I've never tried hitting the arrows before, actually never noticed them.
Saves going into each profile for basic info.

Amber1980

Dec 5, 2020
Hey cool! Think I just learned something new.......
I'm on a different device than I normally use but just accidentally hit the arrow under a user name and all this info came up under the icon. I've never tried hitting the arrows before, actually never noticed them.
Saves going into each profile for basic info.
Learn something new every day:)

4ChristAlone

Hey, how'd you wind up over here?

You could be deadly on a thread entitled "Speak Your Mind"...lol.

(She and I have been friends for many years)
ME?! Shoot, I rarely "speak my mind" unlike you (heh, no danger here). I probably need to learn to do that more, but I am not fully convinced I should in everything. Sometimes putting a cork in it seems more advisable.

I guess I will have to admit to knowing you now that you outed me.

Yes I regard you as a good friend in Christ. Good to know you!

But I don't know what caused me to jump onto this thread, it could have been you, I do not recall but when I saw that that smart crap technology it will get me everytime. That will drag me into any thread. Folks should keep their old stuff or go Amish (or Luddite) it will eventually save you money and headaches.

I am eyeballing that double washtub over at Lemans so when our 20 year old Maytag ever breaks down (and parts can no longer be found) I can just dump our wash into that.

Although, I still want to see if I can still use my machine for a spin cycle, that spin cycle would be a real help because they dont make those washer wringers like they used to either. I would love to pay an engineer to remake me one using the best stuff and be done with it until my day of passing, would be nice.

Anyone an engineer here?

4ChristAlone

Me too
I may be old fashioned in many ways but sure would miss electricity and indoor plumbing just saying lol
You can get one of these, can you imagine?

We just installed this one here this year

But thats outside (not inside). You can get water without need for the pump to pull it using electric.

Since there is no water which is walking distance from us and in a densely wooded rural area we get hurricanes and the electric can go for many days at a time. I know we are constantly pouring out 6 month old stored water and refilling these jugs that are EVERYwhere in the house, so its so nice to be able to stop doing that. That was a pain, but yo need to do that for drinking water and for fleshing the toilet.

I had asked my husband to build us an outhouse for such an occassion but a hurricane could just blow that over so why bother is what I was thinking.