Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 21, 2012
You know darn good and well that people who post their position against the Trinity, or particularly against the deity of Christ, are banned, no matter how many scripture they provide. It's simply not tolerated on this forum.
NO THAT IS NOT TRUE :) and I know this very well. those who attack and name call others who hold to the Doctrine of the trinity are the ones who have been banned as have others. There are members here now who do not have the concept of the trinity as something they agree with. Clearly you have not seen where it has been said many times NO ONE can fully understand the Divine Nature of God. We are limited. Both Trintiarians and those other doctrines canot full know all about the Nature of God. So, do not assume I know "D" well because you do not know what what I know of those here on this site as we speak. CC is and will always be long suffering.

Thank you ,
Please note - shrume only posted how people get banned for their position against the Trinity. CSI vehemently denied this "NO THAT IS NOT TRUE" . . . those who attack and name call others who hold to the Doctrine of the trinity are the ones who have been banned as have others. . . . Now, I can't find shrume anywhere and I don't even see where he committed the offence of "name call others who hold to the Doctrine of the trinity".

Then CSI quotes: I do not speak to others about members past or present . This is out of respect to them. and thier privcy . . . . uhmm - can we guess what happened to shrume?

Let me say - I mean no disrespect, jmho - but this doesn't seem honest.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Please note - shrume only posted how people get banned for their position against the Trinity. CSI vehemently denied this "NO THAT IS NOT TRUE" . . . those who attack and name call others who hold to the Doctrine of the trinity are the ones who have been banned as have others. . . . Now, I can't find shrume anywhere and I don't even see where he committed the offence of "name call others who hold to the Doctrine of the trinity".

Then CSI quotes: I do not speak to others about members past or present . This is out of respect to them. and thier privcy . . . . uhmm - can we guess what happened to shrume?

Let me say - I mean no disrespect, jmho - but this doesn't seem honest.
As you seek to know about a member who is no longer posting . There are other ways one can be banned or could have chosen to leave on their own.

as for you not finding anywhere a person who is no longer here doing something that would cause them to do banned, does not mean they have not done something to be banned.
many reasons why people leave :

1. repeated violate rules
2. were banned came back under a different name
3. the asked for account to be closed.
4. said something on a different thread that was something to be banned for.
5. opening challenging Mod
6. PM something that would cause to be banned.

You can assume what ever you like . But on this thread here and any other were not going to answer about another member . If you would like to know Please PM the Site Admin. And I saying to you please do not ask in a thread about another member who is not here. And do the suggest one is not honest i.e. me because I told you already I cannot tell you or anyone of their reason for leaving .

N

NoNameMcgee

*checks back in to see if any confused or lost person is spreading the lie you need to speak in tounges to be saved*

nope...

lol

good
just because you have the Holy spirit doesnt mean you speak in tounges

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
You can have the gift but not be aware of it or be using it.
That is what happened to me.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
You can have the gift but not be aware of it or be using it.
That is what happened to me.
You can also assume you have the gift and be incorrect. You can use something that is an image but not the genuine article. A behavior in search of scriptural support and in the absence thereof proceeds anyhow.

1 Cor 13:8 three gifts have expired. Many others are ignored for lack of prestige.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
1 Cor 13:8 three gifts have expired. Many others are ignored for lack of prestige.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Not established. The verse says, "will cease", not "have ceased". That Paul encourages people to eagerly seek the gifts (including both tongues and prophecy) means that the cessationist must establish an airtight case for their having already ceased. I have yet to see such a case.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Not established. The verse says, "will cease", not "have ceased". That Paul encourages people to eagerly seek the gifts (including both tongues and prophecy) means that the cessationist must establish an airtight case for their having already ceased. I have yet to see such a case.
Yet those who claim to speak in tongues are not held to any reasonable standard. Who could have figured? You will never accept any case that corrects your position on tongues.

The reason Paul uses will cease is that the NT was not completed when he wrote to the Corinthians. Less than fifty years later John completed the Revelation and the apostolic era was drawing to a close.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
nutm-i will not enter in a vain discussion of this gift Jesus died to bring us.
You are welcome to.
Thank you Dino, you speak His truth and truth divides.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
yep, i will not enter in a vain discussion of this gift Jesus died to bring us.
You are welcome to.
Thank you Dino, you speak His truth and truth divides.
Jesus died to bring you eternal life. It the only gift that all must receive.

If you are Gentile and wish to misappropriate that which was given for Israel well I'm never going to convince you otherwise.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
No, He modeled how we were to live, we are commanded to heal the sick, raise the dead, preach the gospel.
bye

notuptome

May 17, 2013
No, He modeled how we were to live, we are commanded to heal the sick, raise the dead, preach the gospel.
bye
Wow. Jesus did so you and I could have forgiveness for our sins. Jesus healed the sick so Israel would see Him as the promised Messiah. Jesus made the blind to see to establish His authority as the Messiah in Israel. Jesus raised the dead so Israel could not deny that He was their promised Messiah.

The gospel is that Jesus came. died and rose again that those who believe will be saved.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 28, 2016
Tongues is prophecy spoken in all the languages of the world .It used as a sign against those who mocked prophecy with the oral traditions of men . God mocked them with stammering lips by brining new revelations as prophecy in all the languages of the world and no longer Hebrew alone

11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.Isiah 28:11-12

No such thing as a sign gift.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yet those who claim to speak in tongues are not held to any reasonable standard. Who could have figured? You will never accept any case that corrects your position on tongues.
Two fallacies: tu quoque and ad hominem. Do some homework, get some integrity, and stop trying to make this personal.

The reason Paul uses will cease is that the NT was not completed when he wrote to the Corinthians. Less than fifty years later John completed the Revelation and the apostolic era was drawing to a close.
Yet another unfounded assertion on Paul's motivations, not based on anything actually in the Bible. Get some evidence.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Tongues is prophecy spoken in all the languages of the world .It used as a sign against those who mocked prophecy with the oral traditions of men . God mocked them with stammering lips by brining new revelations as prophecy in all the languages of the world and no longer Hebrew alone

11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.Isiah 28:11-12

No such thing as a sign gift.
Garee, it baffles me that you don't see the scriptural distinction between tongues and prophecy. However, we've attempted to discuss that to no avail.

Your comment, written as a response to mine, is irrelevant. It doesn't address anything that I wrote.

As an aside, could you please proofread your posts before submitting them. This is at least the fifth time you have misspelled the word "bringing". "Brining" is a completely different word and has nothing to do with either tongues or prophecy.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Wow. Jesus did so you and I could have forgiveness for our sins. Jesus healed the sick so Israel would see Him as the promised Messiah. Jesus made the blind to see to establish His authority as the Messiah in Israel. Jesus raised the dead so Israel could not deny that He was their promised Messiah.

The gospel is that Jesus came. died and rose again that those who believe will be saved.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
The Jesus in Whom I believe still does miracles. It's sad that your Jesus doesn't. Are you sure you have the right Jesus?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Two fallacies: tu quoque and ad hominem. Do some homework, get some integrity, and stop trying to make this personal.
Personal? Really you want to go there? Nothing fallacious in what I have stated. You are the one accusing on the personal level.
Yet another unfounded assertion on Paul's motivations, not based on anything actually in the Bible. Get some evidence.
I know simple observations are too simple. Historical evidence supports the contention that John wrote Revelation about fifty years after Paul wrote Corinthians.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The Jesus in Whom I believe still does miracles. It's sad that your Jesus doesn't. Are you sure you have the right Jesus?
The Jesus of the bible is ascended to the right hand of the Father. The Holy Spirit is the one left in place of Christ to minister to the church. I see miracles everytime a soul repents and receives Christ as Savior. I see miracles and speculate of unseen miracels which will only be revealed in glory. None of that supports the contention that tongues are active today. Nor is there any new prophecy being given from God. Nor is there any knowledge given without effort. No uneducated fishermen contesting the great doctrines of the faith with the Pharisees of the day.

I have not attacked your integrity by suggesting you have a Jesus other than the Jesus of the bible. To suggest that is to infer that a person is not saved. Diminishes your arguments to little more than well let's just say it's not polite to say.

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Garee, it baffles me that you don't see the scriptural distinction between tongues and prophecy. However, we've attempted to discuss that to no avail.

Your comment, written as a response to mine, is irrelevant. It doesn't address anything that I wrote.

As an aside, could you please proofread your posts before submitting them. This is at least the fifth time you have misspelled the word "bringing". "Brining" is a completely different word and has nothing to do with either tongues or prophecy.
That there sums up today's world.

Of course his response doesn't address anything you said. People today are trained not to read with the intent of listening, but with the intent to respond - 99% of the time with something they intended to say before they even glanced at your missive. Discussion is of no avail, that's why I'm mostly a lurker here. Take in what I can, but as far as wasting my time saying something no one cares to hear, (like this I'm sure ;) ), it's just that. I told myself a couple years ago that I wouldn't carry an exchange with somebody for more than 3 exchanges, unless there was something special going on. That's why I don't talk with many here these days.

Proofread. Ha. You must be 50 or more. Phonics pretty much killed off grammar and spelling, and technology pretty much killed off the desire to care ... or to focus long enough. Brining, bringing, wtdiatsaw.

People scare me, even Christians these days.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Don't give up Rickyz, I understand in these days the good will get better, the bad will get worse, we are charged with "wearing well to the end".
The sheep are being separated from the goats.

Mar 28, 2016

Irrelevant to what the discussion on tongues?

James 3:8 8but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

Proverbs 15:4 4The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.

Proverbs 18:21 21The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

TONGUE. tung: Almost invariably for either lashon, or glossa the latter word with the cognates heteroglossos, "of strange tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:21), glossodes, "talkative," English Versions of the Bible "full of tongue" (Sirach 8:3; 9:18), glossotomeo, "to cut out the tongue" (2 Macc 7:4), diglossos, "double-tongued" (Sirach 5:9; 28:13).

Since when did the word of God stop being called prophecy ?

Tongues is language.
Adam and Eve ate of the tongue of the serpent in the garden the forbidden fruit, the fruit of death

Tongues is God bringing his word in another languages is prophecy . To prophesy is to declare the word of God, prophecy .

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

What do you wish tongues were if not prophecy?