Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jaybird88

Okay I am going to say this once: Garee - Nehemiah - Jaybird: I warned you about speaking against what you know nothing about. Mocking the gifts of the HS you are. There may be fake tongues but there are real one also. Mock on: vengeance is mine says the Lord. :(
i wasnt mocking anyone, if thats how it came off then i apologize.
my argument had to do with the practical application of this doctrine. and i do not see one. its only benefit seems to be prayer which one can just as easily do in their own language.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
i wasnt mocking anyone, if thats how it came off then i apologize.
my argument had to do with the practical application of this doctrine. and i do not see one. its only benefit seems to be prayer which one can just as easily do in their own language.
If you don't have the gift then there nothing you can add. There are prayer tongues and those that do that need no explanation, God has already dealt with it. :cool:

T

theanointedsinner

If you don't have the gift then there nothing you can add. There are prayer tongues and those that do that need no explanation, God has already dealt with it. :cool:
are you saying "in short, if we are talking against it, or even debate about it, chances are, we don't have that gift, and we will never understand it"?

J

jaybird88

in other words it should never be tested even though scripture teaches us to test all things. this fact alone would make me very skeptical of any church that engaged in this.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
in other words it should never be tested even though scripture teaches us to test all things. this fact alone would make me very skeptical of any church that engaged in this.
If someone engages in this falsely they will have to answer for that. If you are uncomfortable around it, stay away from it. You will only have to answer for what you do, not them. :)

Mar 28, 2016
Paul quoted a verse that had a fulfillment in how the Assyrian captors took Israel away, speaking in a foreign language. He applied it, not just to Jews, though, but 'to them that believe not.' He says that 'Wherefore, tongues are a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not...." He does not limit the application merely to the Jews. Gentiles could come into a church meeting and, if all spoke in tongues, say 'ye are mad', also.
He limits the sign of rebellion directly to Hebrew the language that he spoke to the Jew with.

He is speaking directly to the Jew who refused to walk by faith as it is written . It has nothing to do with Assyrian. But everything to do with "charismatics' Those who seek after a sign before they will believe (they must walk by sight)

God with stammering lips is not mocking those of other nations that know not Hebrew. He is mocking those who had he had spoken Hebrew to and they refused to hear his words. There are many examples of the apostate Jews that followed after the oral traditions of the fathers but refused to believe prophecy of a God, not seen.

They continued to mock God by requiring he do some magic as a outward sign before they would believe. There simply is no sign by which we believe. That would make the unseen faith by which we can believe God without effect .(No sign gifts). Those who walk by sight as if the kingdom of God did come by observation have been deceived to believe the lie.

The same subtleness that was in the garden coming from the fathers of lies, the god of this world. Who in effect said ..Don't believe the voice of prophecy coming from Him not seen .But rather obey the voice of the creature seen as in instant gratification. Why wait on the voice of Him not seen, the voice of promise .The one voice that said; you will surely die..... if you continue refuse to hear the word of prophecy.

Again in affect they who walk by sight after the temporal things seen make Jesus into a circus seal.

Like...Perform a trick and then we will believe what is before our eyes

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

Mark 7:13Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

In affect because they refused to hear Prophecy it revealed they were blind to the spiritual things of God... stumbling over the cross as if it was not there. The veil is still rent

For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;1 Corinthians 1:22;23

Below is an example of whom God spoke to with stammering lips mocking those who mock Him(.Not the Assyrian) There are many examples that it was the apostate Jews.

As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil. Jerimiah 44:16-17

Paul calls these instructions 'commandments of the Lord' and implies that they did not have the right to deviate from the rules for universal church practice when he asks, "36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?"
He is acknowledging where prophecy, God's word comes from. Not a sign from the believer as in a sign gift.

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.

God does not bring his word with giving understanding

Therefore, churches should allow speaking in tongues, interpretation, and prophesying according to the commandments of the Lord in I Corinthians 14, the only lengthy passage of scripture that actually gives instructions on what to do in church besides passages on communion.

Where do you get that from? It is a sign that they will not hear God.
Where? The only lengthy passage of scripture that actually gives instructions on what to do in church in respect to the fulfillment of Isiah 28.

Tongues = multiple languages of prophecy not Hebrew alone.

Wherefore tongues are for "a sign", not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:22

Jesus again and again declared it a evil generation (no faith) as in natural man that does seek after a signa and wonders gospel ."Charismatics"

Mar 28, 2016
Did we all speak the language of angels? I do not know, just a thought derived from the Word, not proving anything per se.
The tongues of men and of angels is prophecy a language understood by the hearer . No secret languages

Good question . What is the function of a angel other than to bring the gospel, as prophecy?

Sons of God are those who follow after the Spirit of God... led by God. It could not be of the unseen creation that we do wrestle against in high place. As fallen angels not led by the Spirit they were kicked out of their first place of habitation when Christ said it is finished.

Believers as Sons of God that are led by the Spirt of God, They can be anyone who offers the gospel.( seen or unseen )

The voice of a angel is prophecy.

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

The voice of the angels and of men... is man as a believer preaching the gospel as prophecy of God . You could say knowing this first no prophecy of God is of any private interpretation as a revelation coming from any other source other than God not seen The one source of Christian faith . Not of angels not seen or of the angels that are seen the strangers.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I have the gift of tongues and enjoy the Holy Spirit VERY MUCH!!! :love:

I do NOT condemn or speak against anyone that has or hasn't the gift of tongues because I'm too busy enjoying the Lord and His goodness!!

Let us all love the Lord, our God and enjoy His goodness and fellowship with Him and each other in the joy of the Holy Spirit! :love:

Noose

Apr 18, 2016

:love:
How does the gift of speaking in tongues work? Please elaborate?
At some point (long ago) i thought i had the gift, but the idea of speaking meaningless words (at least to myself) doesn't make sense anymore. No one understood what i say and myself didn't understand what i was saying.

People talk of self edification; how would anyone know they are edified if they don't understand what they asked for in the first place?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

I do NOT condemn or speak against anyone that has or hasn't the gift of tongues because I'm too busy enjoying the Lord and His goodness!!

Let us all love the Lord, our God and enjoy His goodness and fellowship with Him and each other in the joy of the Holy Spirit! :love:
How does the gift of speaking in tongues work? Please elaborate?
At some point (long ago) i thought i had the gift, but the idea of speaking meaningless words (at least to myself) doesn't make sense anymore. No one understood what i say and myself didn't understand what i was saying.

People talk of self edification; how would anyone know they are edified if they don't understand what they asked for in the first place?
Hello Noose, :)

I have wonderful news for you! God does not take His gifts away.

I bet you do have the gift of tongues but you have quenched it. Human reasoning can quench the Holy Spirit because our human intellect wants to be in control which puts limits on God moving in us.

God is NOT a control freak (which is so ironic because God has ALL control over everything - seen and unseen! LOL!)

I've learned how to enjoy the gift of tongues by asking God for understanding, as He pleases. As a result, now when I speak in tongues (99.9% alone in quiet time) I just let it flow and eventually I hit a "sweet" spot where I hear words in my native tongue (english) in my head even though I'm speaking in tongues - so, now I am praying or speaking in tongues but I have understanding and woooohoooooo! It is so wonderful to understand what God is speaking over me!! Yes, definitely self-edifying! :love: The Lord is my strength!

The same is true in a group when someone else stands and speaks in tongues - as I listen to them, I sit quietly to see if I can hear words in english in my head. If I do, then I interpret what was said and all are edified. :love:

You are precious to God and He wants to lavish His gifts upon you! Enjoy!!! :love:

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Hello Noose, :)

I have wonderful news for you! God does not take His gifts away.

I bet you do have the gift of tongues but you have quenched it. Human reasoning can quench the Holy Spirit because our human intellect wants to be in control which puts limits on God moving in us.

God is NOT a control freak (which is so ironic because God has ALL control over everything - seen and unseen! LOL!)

I've learned how to enjoy the gift of tongues by asking God for understanding, as He pleases. As a result, now when I speak in tongues (99.9% alone in quiet time) I just let it flow and eventually I hit a "sweet" spot where I hear words in my native tongue (english) in my head even though I'm speaking in tongues - so, now I am praying or speaking in tongues but I have understanding and woooohoooooo! It is so wonderful to understand what God is speaking over me!! Yes, definitely self-edifying! :love: The Lord is my strength!

The same is true in a group when someone else stands and speaks in tongues - as I listen to them, I sit quietly to see if I can hear words in english in my head. If I do, then I interpret what was said and all are edified. :love:

You are precious to God and He wants to lavish His gifts upon you! Enjoy!!! :love:
Hearing sweet sounds in your head is not a good sign at all. Did the apostles hear this sweet sounds in their head?
You need to understand what is being taught by the apostles and by understanding them, you'll be edified not a self convincing sweet sound.
This is what is said about this gift:

1 Cor 13:
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 John 4:
12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Based on these two passages alone, it means God's love is not complete in you even if you are to speak genuine tongues. The gifts were to convince people of God but when Love is perfected in us, then these things have no meaning because nothing can separate us from the love of God, be it tribulations/death/goodness, nothing.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hearing sweet sounds in your head is not a good sign at all. Did the apostles hear this sweet sounds in their head?
You need to understand what is being taught by the apostles and by understanding them, you'll be edified not a self convincing sweet sound.

1 Cor 13:
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 John 4:
12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Based on these two passages alone, it means God's love is not complete in you even if you are to speak genuine tongues. The gifts were to convince people of God but when Love is perfected in us, then these things have no meaning because nothing can separate us from the love of God, be it tribulations/death/goodness, nothing.
LOL! :LOL::ROFL::love:

There is no way you can EVER make me like you! LOL! :LOL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::love::love::love::love:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

1 Cor 13:

1 John 4:

LOL! Noose, you enjoy your human reasoning. I'll enjoy the Holy Spirit! LOL! :love: