Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Jesus again and again declared it a evil generation (no faith) as in natural man that does seek after a signa and wonders gospel ."Charismatics"
You are confused, just as you were a couple of years ago when we discussed this. God is not the author of your confusion.

I think you are still making a logical error. Jesus said, 'An evil and adulterous generation seeketh a sign.'

Jesus also said, "If ye then being evil know how to give good gifts unto your children...' If i were to use your 'logic', I would conclude that parents who knew how to give good things to their children were evil for doing so.

A wicked and adutlerous generation sought a sign. That does not mean anyone who seeks signs and wonders is evil or adulterous. A wicked and adulterous generation drinks water. Does that prove that anyone who drinks water is evil and adulterous? I believe your error is called the logical error of affirming the consequent.

The apostles asked Jesus for a sign in Matthew 24. Jesus gave them the sign of His Coming. We do not read where he rebuked for being evil or adulterous the disciples for asking that. The apostles in Acts 4 prayed for God to stretch forth His hand to heal and to do signs and wonders for the sake of Jesus. We do not see God rebuking them from heaven. We do see in the pages of Acts that what they prayed for took place. We also see from Acts 4 that the apostles Jesus sent into the world to teach the nations thought that it was okay to ask God to do signs and wonders.

Acts also shows us the value of signs and wonders in evangelism. So do the Gospels. Jesus said, "Except ye see signs and wonders, ye shall not believe" before healing the individual the man asked Him to heal. Jesus did signs and wonders. They weren't evil. Jesus said someone who did a miracle/sign in His name would not straightway speak against Him.

Jesus commanded the apostles to heal, cleanse lepers, and to raise the dead. Mark 16 includes speaking with new tongues and laying hands on the sick and their recovering among the signs that follow them that believe. The apostles did signs and wonders, and many believed. When Philip did signs and wonders, the people paid careful attention to what he said. After watching Paul declare Elymas temporarily blind, Sergius Paulus believed. Paul encourages believers to minister to one another with their spiritual gifts and lists words of wisdom, words of knowledge, prophecy, healings, the working of miracles, tongues, and interpretation among the gifts members of the body exercise to edify one another.

You seriously need to submit to the authority of scripture on this matter. Twisting the interpretation of one passage to contradict the others is not the way to interpret the Bible. I have explained this to you before. I do hope that this veil over your mind which keeps you from being able to understand and comprehend the word of God on this issue is lifted, and you drop these weird interpretations of yours.

He is speaking directly to the Jew who refused to walk by faith as it is written . It has nothing to do with Assyrian. But everything to do with "charismatics' Those who seek after a sign before they will believe (they must walk by sight)
You don't even stick with your own theory. What happened to your conclusion that it was about Jews?

Of course it has to do with Assyria. Read the book of Isaiah! Read the Old Testament. Assyria came in and took over Israel, marching them away. The Assyrians spoke Hebrew or other languages.

You should also look at how the New Testament uses Old Testament prophecy and applies it. 'Out of Egypt have I called my Son', had an application for Israel, led by Ephraim, at that time.

He limits the sign of rebellion directly to Hebrew the language that he spoke to the Jew with.
Early in this section, in chapter 12, he says they used to worship idols.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Thank you Lafftur! I have found that growth in this particular gift as well, I have found as I use it alone and quiet as you posted, He takes my thoughts to areas and situation he desires I pray for.
Your post is confirmation of what he is doing in my Spiritual groth as well. Any other witnesses to His love in this area?
blessings

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hearing sweet sounds in your head is not a good sign at all. Did the apostles hear this sweet sounds in their head?
You need to understand what is being taught by the apostles and by understanding them, you'll be edified not a self convincing sweet sound.
This is what is said about this gift:

1 Cor 13:
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
This verse made red show us Paul is talking about after the resurrection as @presidente posted in #2137.

1 John 4:
12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Based on these two passages alone, it means God's love is not complete in you even if you are to speak genuine tongues. The gifts were to convince people of God but when Love is perfected in us, then these things have no meaning because nothing can separate us from the love of God, be it tribulations/death/goodness, nothing.
Again all this content is speaking of conditions yet future. Do we love perfectly. Do we not sin perfectly. No, perfection is like immortality all to be complete when we are resurrected. Right now is dwells in hope and faith.

My human reasoning is simply understanding the scriptures.
Try again. :rolleyes:

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Hello Noose, :)

I have wonderful news for you! God does not take His gifts away.

I bet you do have the gift of tongues but you have quenched it. Human reasoning can quench the Holy Spirit because our human intellect wants to be in control which puts limits on God moving in us.

God is NOT a control freak (which is so ironic because God has ALL control over everything - seen and unseen! LOL!)

I've learned how to enjoy the gift of tongues by asking God for understanding, as He pleases. As a result, now when I speak in tongues (99.9% alone in quiet time) I just let it flow and eventually I hit a "sweet" spot where I hear words in my native tongue (english) in my head even though I'm speaking in tongues - so, now I am praying or speaking in tongues but I have understanding and woooohoooooo! It is so wonderful to understand what God is speaking over me!! Yes, definitely self-edifying! :love: The Lord is my strength!

The same is true in a group when someone else stands and speaks in tongues - as I listen to them, I sit quietly to see if I can hear words in english in my head. If I do, then I interpret what was said and all are edified. :love:

You are precious to God and He wants to lavish His gifts upon you! Enjoy!!! :love:

That sounds pretty neat. How do you know when it is the Lord giving you the interpretation in your mind verses your own thoughts? I never had that before and have never be able to interpret tongues.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I have wonderful news for you! God does not take His gifts away.

I bet you do have the gift of tongues but you have quenched it. Human reasoning can quench the Holy Spirit because our human intellect wants to be in control which puts limits on God moving in us.

God is NOT a control freak (which is so ironic because God has ALL control over everything - seen and unseen! LOL!)

I've learned how to enjoy the gift of tongues by asking God for understanding, as He pleases. As a result, now when I speak in tongues (99.9% alone in quiet time) I just let it flow and eventually I hit a "sweet" spot where I hear words in my native tongue (english) in my head even though I'm speaking in tongues - so, now I am praying or speaking in tongues but I have understanding and woooohoooooo! It is so wonderful to understand what God is speaking over me!! Yes, definitely self-edifying! :love: The Lord is my strength!

The same is true in a group when someone else stands and speaks in tongues - as I listen to them, I sit quietly to see if I can hear words in english in my head. If I do, then I interpret what was said and all are edified. :love:

You are precious to God and He wants to lavish His gifts upon you! Enjoy!!! :love:
That sounds pretty neat. How do you know when it is the Lord giving you the interpretation in your mind verses your own thoughts? I never had that before and have never be able to interpret tongues.
Hello CherieR,

You will know and recognize the difference between your words/thoughts and God’s.

My words/thoughts can only speak what they already know, but God’s bring Light and Life to the hearer.

You can sing in tongues when you worship God, the English you hear in your head is amazing poetry of deep worship.........sounds like, “the inner most part of my heart melts as wax in the depths of the flames of Your great Love..”. Just absolutely incredible words....... Trust me, you’ll know the difference between your words/thoughts and those of God!!!! LOL! It’s an incredible love language! ❤️

Press in and Enjoy HIM!! He waits for you with open arms....... 😍

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Hello CherieR,

You will know and recognize the difference between your words/thoughts and God’s.

My words/thoughts can only speak what they already know, but God’s bring Light and Life to the hearer.

You can sing in tongues when you worship God, the English you hear in your head is amazing poetry of deep worship.........sounds like, “the inner most part of my heart melts as wax in the depths of the flames of Your great Love..”. Just absolutely incredible words....... Trust me, you’ll know the difference between your words/thoughts and those of God!!!! LOL! It’s an incredible love language! ❤️

Press in and Enjoy HIM!! He waits for you with open arms....... 😍
I have gone through a time in my life when I was trying to speak in tongues... I have done it in front of people before too. A therapist I was seeing a year or more ago had asked me to speak in tongues in front of her and when I did she said it sounded almost Hebrew and asked if it was always that fast.

When I was doing it, I could start and stop as I pleased but I never knew what I was saying and doubts would arise about it. Some of the doubts may be due to that I was raised Baptist and those closest to me don't believe in speaking in tongues or disagree with the practice. I have prayed about speaking in tongues and have asked the Lord to give me peace about it if it is what he would have for me and I just have not had peace about speaking in tongues as of yet.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I have gone through a time in my life when I was trying to speak in tongues... I have done it in front of people before too. A therapist I was seeing a year or more ago had asked me to speak in tongues in front of her and when I did she said it sounded almost Hebrew and asked if it was always that fast.

When I was doing it, I could start and stop as I pleased but I never knew what I was saying and doubts would arise about it. Some of the doubts may be due to that I was raised Baptist and those closest to me don't believe in speaking in tongues or disagree with the practice. I have prayed about speaking in tongues and have asked the Lord to give me peace about it if it is what he would have for me and I just have not had peace about speaking in tongues as of yet.
Dear sweet beloved sister CherieR, 😍

God’s gift of tongues He has given you are as pearls. Cast them not before swine.

Tongues are an incredible intimacy gift from God bestowed upon us and activated in us by His Holy Spirit.

Do enjoy your gift from the Lord and let no man rob you of it.

You are loved. Enjoy His abiding love and peace. ❤️

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
First off let me say that I have never spoke in tongues but I do believe that it is Biblical. But I don't think speaking in tongues is something you can just do at your own will or anytime you want to and I don't think you can just imagine, rehearse, or practice the words to say because it is the Spirit that takes over.

It is a gift from the Spirit and is performed by the Spirit at the will of the Spirit....Just my opinion on it anyhow.

I've heard about others trying to teach others words to say and things like that and in my opinion that is definitely not biblical.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
First off let me say that I have never spoke in tongues but I do believe that it is Biblical. But I don't think speaking in tongues is something you can just do at your own will or anytime you want to and I don't think you can just imagine, rehearse, or practice the words to say because it is the Spirit that takes over.

It is a gift from the Spirit and is performed by the Spirit at the will of the Spirit....Just my opinion on it anyhow.

I've heard about others trying to teach others words to say and things like that and in my opinion that is definitely not biblical.

When I was involved with speaking in tongues, I did not have to rehearse or think about what to say... I just begin speaking, just not in English. Nobody had to coach me on it. I don't really know for sure if I was saying anything or not, even though a couple of people seemed to think it sounded like a language or dialect. I agree with you that people should not be coaching people how to pray in tongues by giving them words to say. I also don't believe that speaking in tongues is for everyone. The Holy Spirit may give that gift to some Christians but my understanding from Scripture tells me that he does not give it to all of his people.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

Hello 1ofthem,😍

So glad you joined in! I can tell you this, since you do not speak in tongues, yet believe they are biblical then, know this.....

You have the gift, but have not opened it. How do I know this? Because you believe the gift is real and from God which you can only believe this by faith. It is by faith we receive the things,promises, gifts, and even eternal life from God.

Do open your gift and enjoy the goodness and intimate fellowship of God! Blessings! 😍❤️👍

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Dear sweet beloved sister CherieR, 😍

God’s gift of tongues He has given you are as pearls. Cast them not before swine.

Tongues are an incredible intimacy gift from God bestowed upon us and activated in us by His Holy Spirit.

Do enjoy your gift from the Lord and let no man rob you of it.

You are loved. Enjoy His abiding love and peace. ❤️
I don't know what you mean by don't cast them by swine... my mom is actually a believer in Jesus and does not agree with the practice and I don't know any of my family who does agree with the practice and none of them are swine.

Right now I am not comfortable speaking in tongues and don't have that peace about it. I don't mind it if Jesus ever wants to pray in tongues through me while I am asleep. I don't want to speak in tongues during the day at my own will if I am still having doubts if it is from God or not.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I will say this, Paul spoke in tongues and Paul saw and witnessed all the manifestations of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit that are to operate in the Body of Christ in the Earth.

The 9 gifts being:

1- Word of wisdom
2-Word of knowledge
3-Faith
4-Gifts of healing
5-working of miracles
6-prophecy
7-discerning of spirits
8-divers tongues
9-interpretation of tongues

However, the one gift Paul singled out as the most needed in the Body of Christ was #6 - prophecy because he believed it did the most good for the whole body.

BUT, do not neglect the importantance of the well being of each individual cell of a body - whosoever will, let the Holy Spirit nourish you with the gift of tongues so that you may be edified, strong in the Lord and able to help and encourage your brethren and prophecy!!! ❤️👍

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I don't know what you mean by don't cast them by swine... my mom is actually a believer in Jesus and does not agree with the practice and I don't know any of my family who does agree with the practice and none of them are swine.

Right now I am not comfortable speaking in tongues and don't have that peace about it. I don't mind it if Jesus ever wants to pray in tongues through me while I am asleep. I don't want to speak in tongues during the day at my own will if I am still having doubts if it is from God or not.
CherieR,

When my love is perfect for God, it will cast out all fear of people.

I have a big family and love them very deeply, however, I am not bound to man, I am bound to God and God alone.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Dreams, visions, and OBE's are not designed to bring new revelations. Their solely intended for the person who receives them to inform the believer of something, either to prevent the believer from doing or enduring something, or to prepare the believer for something.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but "new revelations" are why Pentecostal's speak in tongues!
In Acts where this happened visitors to the place were hearing them speak in their language. 1 Corinthians 12 to 14 defines how tongues is to be done. It is only done when one or more persons will hear and understand, normally in their native language. The purpose is to help the person(s) being talked to and let others watching understand the person speaking doesn't understand that that language. Recordings made were brought to others and when someone understood that language they stated extremely similar meanings of what was said. One problem is some try to claim anyone who can't speak in tongues is not a Christian. They ignore 1 Corinthians 13 stating everyone has different gifts. The gift of love is called the most important gift.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
No worries,CherieR. You are loved and accepted in the Beloved (Christ).

Each of us has our own journey with the Lord. Enjoy yours and I’ll enjoy mine.

It’s late for me, good night. 😍👍😴💤

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
In Acts where this happened visitors to the place were hearing them speak in their language. 1 Corinthians 12 to 14 defines how tongues is to be done. It is only done when one or more persons will hear and understand, normally in their native language. The purpose is to help the person(s) being talked to and let others watching understand the person speaking doesn't understand that that language. Recordings made were brought to others and when someone understood that language they stated extremely similar meanings of what was said. One problem is some try to claim anyone who can't speak in tongues is not a Christian. They ignore 1 Corinthians 13 stating everyone has different gifts. The gift of love is called the most important gift.
Love is not a gift. It’s a fruit. ❤️

J

jaybird88

How does the gift of speaking in tongues work? Please elaborate?
At some point (long ago) i thought i had the gift, but the idea of speaking meaningless words (at least to myself) doesn't make sense anymore. No one understood what i say and myself didn't understand what i was saying.

People talk of self edification; how would anyone know they are edified if they don't understand what they asked for in the first place?
this is the point i been making for a long time and none of them seem to have an answer for it.