Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Your repetition of already-refuted and/or irrelevant statements is silly, and your refusal to accept plain Scripture is disturbing.

I would suggest we go back to the foundation (Isaiah 28 )of God bringing his interpretation in other languages/tongues other than Hebrew alone and why he mocked those who mocked Him by refusing to hear prophecy before we look into its fulfillment in Acts 2 and 1 Corinthian 14.

Psalm 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

Mar 28, 2016
There is no connection between the two. Just because you don't understand the meaning of the tongue doesn't indicate that it has no meaning.

None of this has anything to do with speaking in tongues. You're looking for connections where none exist.

I would think they are both considered as outward sign that confirm something? What do they confirm?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would think they are both considered as outward sign that confirm something? What do they confirm?
We aren't discussing what some people think about what the Scripture says. Rather, we are discussing what the Scripture actually says.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would suggest we go back to the foundation (Isaiah 28 )of God bringing his interpretation in other languages/tongues other than Hebrew alone and why he mocked those who mocked Him by refusing to hear prophecy before we look into its fulfillment in Acts 2 and 1 Corinthian 14.
I don't see what you hope to accomplish by doing so.

Paul says clearly in 1 Corinthians 14 to seek spiritual gifts. Is that Scripture or not? Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift according to 1 Corinthians 12. Is that Scripture or not? Scripture says that tongues are a gift (12:10) and a sign (14:22) therefore a "sign gift". Is that Scripture or not?

Mar 28, 2016
I don't see what you hope to accomplish by doing so.

Paul says clearly in 1 Corinthians 14 to seek spiritual gifts. Is that Scripture or not? Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift according to 1 Corinthians 12. Is that Scripture or not? Scripture says that tongues are a gift (12:10) and a sign (14:22) therefore a "sign gift". Is that Scripture or not?
Yes God brining His interpretation in the tongues of all the nations is the spiritual unseen gift . God is Spirit.

Its all scripture. But does the sign as evidence support those who mock God by refusing to hear prophecy so God in turn mocks them (stammering lips) by bringing prophecy in the tongue of all the nations that were there in Acts 2. Or did they hear a noise with no understanding and seek out the private interpretation of others by putting their trust in men seen . And therefore in the end of the matter the sign is against them who make the word of God (prophecy) to no effect through the oral traditions of men. Like this tongue tradition just make a noise and it confirms something?

Seeing we cannot serve two masters. Does the sign support those who will hear prophecy or is it against those who refuse to hear?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Its all scripture. But does the sign as evidence
There you go yet again talking about the sign as evidence. That's not what I'm claiming, so please stop using this tired and irrelevant straw man argument.

Or did they hear a noise with no understanding and seek out the private interpretation of others by putting their trust in men seen .
Another ridiculous and irrelevant straw man argument.

Mar 28, 2016
There you go yet again talking about the sign as evidence. That's not what I'm claiming, so please stop using this tired and irrelevant straw man argument.

Another ridiculous and irrelevant straw man argument.

If not the sign of evidence then the sign as what?

Oct 24, 2018
I would offer. The phenomime of falling back or backward indicted they were under the eternal judgment a sign against themselves just as tongues today is making a noise with no meaning.

The focus would seem to be a Judas used as a new testament type of one who knew not Christ and was eliminated from the twelve apostles which later in respect to the twelve were used as a description of the heavenly City prepared as the bride of Christ ,the believers. the apostles represented the wall that make up the eternal city.

This is just as the tribe of Dan also eliminated from the twelve, with twelve representing the authority of God with tribes, represented gates of the City prepared as a bride. Dan is used in the same way a type. As false prophecy in respect to a serpent so that men fall back to indicate they are under the fiery judgement and not blessing of the lord.
I would not advise and if it is occurring I would pray for rest from it.

Genesis 49:17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

How would that have anything to do with the unforgiveable sin if a person does not perform it? Seeing God does the judging. Is doubt a unforgiveable sin ?

***I don't add to Scripture in those ways.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If not the sign of evidence then the sign as what?
You're still implying that I'm claiming something about the "sign" of tongues. Take two steps back and rethink your logic, without putting words in my mouth. You're making the claim (repeated ad nauseam) that people are seeking signs and that they view tongues as evidence of something. I don't make that claim. I have no need to justify a claim that I don't make. I also don't need to provide an alternate explanation for a claim that I don't make.

So, let's get back to discussing the text.

Oct 24, 2018
***God's Word says to avoid vain disputing. What are the Christian Salvation requirements? What are helpful beliefs and happiness in the Christian Sanctification process?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
***God's Word says to avoid vain disputing. What are the Christian Salvation requirements? What are helpful beliefs and happiness in the Christian Sanctification process?
Respectfully, your questions are irrelevant to this thread. Your comment is valid, though; we should not waste our time disputing about trivial matters. A question for you though: do you ever defend your beliefs from criticism that you see as unsound?

presidente

May 29, 2013

Psalm 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
I suggest we look at the whole counsel of the word of God. This involves accepting and believing not only what the Bible says about tonues as a sign to them that believe not. Bu also we must accept tongues and interpretation as a gift given to profit the body of Christ. We must accept that speaking in tongues is something that edifies the speaker--something Paul would that.'ye all' do, and that with interpretation it edifies the church-- something he would rather we do.

Paul's teaching on rongues as a sign is not meant to cancel or replace what he had just taught them earlier in the chapter.

Oct 24, 2018
Respectfully, your questions are irrelevant to this thread. Your comment is valid, though; we should not waste our time disputing about trivial matters. A question for you though: do you ever defend your beliefs from criticism that you see as unsound?
***No they are not. The trivial arguing is. My questions are not trivial but are important for spiritual maturing. Speaking in tongues happens for most very soon after the born again happening in one's life.

I don't understand your question at all. I do defend my convictions (beliefs worth dying for). I do constructive criticism when I read unsound opinions/beliefs.

Please get off your throne and read the postings more carefully. How would Jesus Christ read and respond to the postings?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
***No they are not. The trivial arguing is. My questions are not trivial but are important for spiritual maturing. Speaking in tongues happens for most very soon after the born again happening in one's life.

I don't understand your question at all. I do defend my convictions (beliefs worth dying for). I do constructive criticism when I read unsound opinions/beliefs.

Please get off your throne and read the postings more carefully. How would Jesus Christ read and respond to the postings?
I read your post carefully... several times. This thread is about speaking in tongues, which is not an experience common to "most" by any means. Perhaps that is common in other countries, but not in the westernized world. That said, I am defending the belief that speaking in tongues is still an active gift of the Holy Spirit. Your questions are about salvation requirements and helpful beliefs, neither of which is directly pertinent to the question of tongues still being active.

It seems that you are offended by my response, despite the face that I prefaced it with "Respectfully", and meant it as such. It seems to me that you don't like the discourse in this thread and think that it exceeds some unspecified bounds of appropriate disagreement.

My question goes to defending the faith in which you believe. Do you allow beliefs with which you strongly disagree to have the whole page? Do you sometimes think others are "wrong"? What makes it okay for you to criticize my words, but at the same time it isn't okay for me to criticize the words of others? I suggest, in light of your comments, that you consider your answer carefully before posting it, lest you violate your own standards for "trivial arguing". Jesus is reading your posts too. :)

J

jaybird88

why does no one ever spontaneously start speaking french or Chinese, its always the angel language, seems a bit strange. and the worldly languages have a benifit, you can speak to someone, whats the benefit of the angel language? when you ask the tongue speaker they tell you they are "in the spirit", Jesus was in the spirit, he walked on water, changed water to wine, healed the sick and raised the dead, these are the result of the spirit, the benifit of "in the spirit" for tongue speakers seems to be they can tell others they are in the spirit.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
@Dino246 , do you speak in tongues? When did this occur and when did you find out that you could use it at will? Has your use of tongues led to any changes in your life or the lives of others, that you know of? Have you ministered to people in tongues and interpreted the message, or had an interpreter do so? In what ways has tongues edified your life, and the Church?

This may be like throwing pearls before swine, so answer at your own discretion. I am just wondering in what ways the Lord is working through you onto His glory.

Mar 28, 2016
why does no one ever spontaneously start speaking french or Chinese, its always the angel language, seems a bit strange. and the worldly languages have a benifit, you can speak to someone, whats the benefit of the angel language? when you ask the tongue speaker they tell you they are "in the spirit", Jesus was in the spirit, he walked on water, changed water to wine, healed the sick and raised the dead, these are the result of the spirit, the benifit of "in the spirit" for tongue speakers seems to be they can tell others they are in the spirit.
I would think some would use angels to give wonderment or amazement therefore some mysterious language. That kind of ideaology it can be very deceptive as it was in the garden of Eden .

We know the word angel simply means messenger. It could be of angels in heaven not subject to salvation, or of those subject to salvation. Like for instance the prophets who declare the word or message of God . Like Peter in Acts 2. God put his words on Peter lips as the unseen gift of prophecy, and in their own tongue(many nations) God interpreted the gospel by which 3000 souls believed. .

Spiritual gifts always affect two. The one he sends his words with (peter) and the ones that he gives ears to hear with the Spirit is saying to the churches (denominations)all the nations that heard the word of God. (not the word of Peter)

The idea of making a noise and looking for a man to interpret it does not promote a personal relationship with two walking together in agreement to the one who speaks. It confirms something but what? Rebels, as natural unconverted man called a evil generation(no faith) that does not walk by Christ's faith the unseen eternal but rather after the things seen the temporal In that way no man can serve two masters.

We serve the generation of Christ as those who do walk by faith the unseen eternal

Luke 11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.