Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
@Dino246 , do you speak in tongues? When did this occur and when did you find out that you could use it at will? Has your use of tongues led to any changes in your life or the lives of others, that you know of? Have you ministered to people in tongues and interpreted the message, or had an interpreter do so? In what ways has tongues edified your life, and the Church?

This may be like throwing pearls before swine, so answer at your own discretion. I am just wondering in what ways the Lord is working through you onto His glory.
I think your questions are very good ones but, please know some of the questions you asked has nothing to do with the benefit of others unless the context of 1cor 14 is seen.

The human reasoning for speaking or even finding anything one thinks is beneficial to satisfy one who is the skeptic ( not speaking of you) is not really the point. Speak in tongues is Biblical and for today. a Christian does not have to provide any proof other then what we saw in scriptures

1ocr 14:
1. Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit, he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

Just in these verses, we are to desire spiritual gifts and those who like it or not tongues is one of the gifts :

why speak in tongues?
1. it is a gift from God to be desired. You don't want it fine.
2. He who speaks in tongues does not speak to man but to God. That alone is a good thing if nothing else. " I choose to speak in my native language and God hears me just the same." True But the word of God also says we do not know how to pray as we should so the Spirit prays through us Rom 8:26.
3. he who speaks in tongues edifies himself.

The word of God is not against speaking in tongues but many Christians are. Why? I'm sure there are many reasons. foolishness, immaturity, and pride.

I speak in tongues every day. I have studied the history of the gifts of the Holy Spirit from 70-90AD and from 100AD to 1901 and from 1901 today.
many who attack the gifts many tongues also attack healing today. those who attack tongues will not address the word of God on the topic they pull from pagan and cultic practice to discredit the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Yet the oxymoron is how does a Christian who is saved seek the empowering and gifting of the Holy Spirit get a devil or demon? many people who have the empowerment baptism of the Holy Spirit never heard of cultic or pagan tongues speaking.

And some would have you believe that IF you get saved never heard of tongues as a Cultic practice and sought God for the Gift YOU got from the devil a pagan cultic gift while seeking God. THAT is Stupid, unbiblical and frankly giving more power to the devil than God.

presidente

May 29, 2013
why does no one ever spontaneously start speaking french or Chinese, its always the angel language, seems a bit strange. and the worldly languages have a benifit, you can speak to someone, whats the benefit of the angel language?
I spoke with a pastor/theologian who is in Germany a few nights ago who had heard a man who does not know English speak in tongues in KJV English.

I spoke with a pastor's wife, daughter of a missionary who had heard a old Chinese woman villager speak in tongues in English.

The teachings of I Corinthians 14 for tongues and interpretation apply no mayter what language is spoken.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
@Dino246 , do you speak in tongues? When did this occur and when did you find out that you could use it at will? Has your use of tongues led to any changes in your life or the lives of others, that you know of? Have you ministered to people in tongues and interpreted the message, or had an interpreter do so? In what ways has tongues edified your life, and the Church?

This may be like throwing pearls before swine, so answer at your own discretion. I am just wondering in what ways the Lord is working through you onto His glory.
I appreciate the questions, Ben, but I think that any answer I give will be picked apart by the cessationists. I'd rather focus on the Scripture. :)

J

jaybird88

I spoke with a pastor/theologian who is in Germany a few nights ago who had heard a man who does not know English speak in tongues in KJV English.

I spoke with a pastor's wife, daughter of a missionary who had heard a old Chinese woman villager speak in tongues in English.

The teachings of I Corinthians 14 for tongues and interpretation apply no mayter what language is spoken.
its always a friend of a friend which would mean 1 in 1000. it should be just as common as the angel language.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would think some would use angels to give wonderment or amazement therefore some mysterious language. That kind of ideaology it can be very deceptive as it was in the garden of Eden .
What you "would" think about what some people do is quite irrelevant here. Let's focus on what the Scripture says.

Spiritual gifts always affect two. The one he sends his words with (peter) and the ones that he gives ears to hear with the Spirit is saying to the churches
That isn't supported in Scripture. Discernment, words of wisdom and knowledge, healing, faith, and speaking in tongues can all be given in ways that directly touch only one person.

The idea of making a noise and looking for a man to interpret it does not promote a personal relationship with two walking together in agreement to the one who speaks.
I don't know why you keep writing these things. They are irrelevant, as nobody is claiming that is the right thing to do.

Oct 24, 2018
why does no one ever spontaneously start speaking french or Chinese, its always the angel language, seems a bit strange. and the worldly languages have a benifit, you can speak to someone, whats the benefit of the angel language? when you ask the tongue speaker they tell you they are "in the spirit", Jesus was in the spirit, he walked on water, changed water to wine, healed the sick and raised the dead, these are the result of the spirit, the benifit of "in the spirit" for tongue speakers seems to be they can tell others they are in the spirit.

I never heard "angel language" being mentioned by any charismatics I have met. I have spoken and sang in tongues, but I thought the words I was given were of a human non-English language. Because in the Pentecost happening, the witnesses heard at least one of the Apostles tongue-speaking in their native language.
Chapter 2
1 And when the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all assembled together in one place,
2 when suddenly there came a sound from heaven like the rushing of a violent tempest blast,
and it filled the whole house in which they were sitting.
3 And there appeared to them tongues resembling fire,
which were separated and distributed and which settled on each one of them.

4 And they were all filled (diffused throughout their souls) with The Holy Spirit
and began to speak in other (different, foreign) languages (tongues),
as The Spirit kept giving them clear and loud expression
[in each tongue in appropriate words].
5 Now there were then residing in Jerusalem Jews,
devout and God-fearing men from every country under heaven.
6 And when this sound was heard, the multitude came together
and they were astonished and bewildered,
because each one heard them [the Apostles]
speaking in his own [particular] dialect.
7 And they were beside themselves with amazement, saying,
“Are not all these who are talking Galileans?
8 Then how is it that we hear, each of us,
in our own (particular) dialect to which we were born?
9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and inhabitants of Mesopotamia,
Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and [the province of] Asia,
10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya about Cyrene,
and the transient residents from Rome,
both Jews and the proselytes [to Judaism from other religions],
11 Cretans and Arabians too--
we all hear them speaking in our own native tongues
[and telling of] the mighty works of God!”
12 And all were beside themselves with amazement
and were puzzled and bewildered, saying one to another,
“What can this mean?”
13 But others made a joke of it and derisively said,
“They are simply drunk and full of sweet [intoxicating] wine.

***When did that Day occur? It is too bad that most Christian churches don’t celebrate the Ascension Day and the Pentecost. Why do you think they don’t? What was the added word mistake in the King James Version in this passage and what does the Amplified Version and other Bible versions say what really happened? Before answering, read 1 Corinthians 14. I have witnessed babbling in Charismatic Churches during the speaking in tongues time and similar things being said as the worship leader or pastor was saying— probable reason: to be accepted and respected. But I have received the true gift of about 10 words I didn’t know, but I heard the same in a Washington DC church after I passed up 6 churches before and during the prayer time for the 1968 Washington for Jesus event the following Saturday. The lady infront of me spoke some of the words I was given. In other charismatic churches and sometimes in my bedroom prayers, I said the same 10 words several times each. Later in March or April 1989, I was given a supernatural short song when I was waiting to pass out Christian tracts at the Oaklawn Race Track in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Those experiences were followed by divine peace and divine joy. Romans 14:17-- “for the Kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” But I am against the demanding that the Gift of Tongues is required to prove one is a true adopted child of God. The Spiritual gifts lists have that gift as last. I am also against the Baptists using one verse in 1 Corinthians 13 to proclaim that God has stopped giving the Gift and then condemn all Charismatics and Pentecostals. Read Exodus 28:1-3, Exodus 31:1-5, Exodus 35:29-33, Psalms 51:10-13, Isaiah 63:11, Ezekiel 2:1-4 & 7, Ezekiel 3:24-27, Ezekiel 3:4-6, 10-11, & 24-27, Luke 1: 39-45, & 67-79, and Ephesians 5:18-21.

Oct 24, 2018
I read your post carefully... several times. This thread is about speaking in tongues, which is not an experience common to "most" by any means. Perhaps that is common in other countries, but not in the westernized world. That said, I am defending the belief that speaking in tongues is still an active gift of the Holy Spirit. Your questions are about salvation requirements and helpful beliefs, neither of which is directly pertinent to the question of tongues still being active.

It seems that you are offended by my response, despite the face that I prefaced it with "Respectfully", and meant it as such. It seems to me that you don't like the discourse in this thread and think that it exceeds some unspecified bounds of appropriate disagreement.

My question goes to defending the faith in which you believe. Do you allow beliefs with which you strongly disagree to have the whole page? Do you sometimes think others are "wrong"? What makes it okay for you to criticize my words, but at the same time it isn't okay for me to criticize the words of others? I suggest, in light of your comments, that you consider your answer carefully before posting it, lest you violate your own standards for "trivial arguing". Jesus is reading your posts too. :)

You have completely misunderstood me. Read my new post. For almost all Charismatics and Pentecostals and Full Gospel denominations, speaking in tongues is Salvation requirement. But many Baptists and other Fundamentalists have a tongue problem too in that they expect certain beliefs to be said and lived in order to prove being born again, and most of them condemn all tongue speakers. Many Church of Christ elders expect only one kind of testimony order of events to prove one is a true Christian: they demand Baptism by Immersion and then born-again and remission of sins, but that is not what happened to me and most others I have talked to. But what does the Bible say is my doctrine.

I have been a professional Christian curriculum writer and editor and proofreader, so I am very careful what I say, write, and teach. I try to understand what individuals, especially those who communicate English as a second language. I didn't judge you like you have indicated. Be careful in the future. As God via the Holy Spirit to help you understand what individuals are trying to communicate. Paul said that we "see through a glass darkly" meaning we are limited in understanding even the righteousness of God. Worldly wisdom is mostly very different and misleading. Also arguing is usually fruitless, but discussions, in which all want to learn the truths of God and are open to change their beliefs and opinions because of the just mentioned, are very fruitful. We should be looking for areas of agreement and avoid nonconstructive criticizing and condemn judging and belittling. We are to remember we are only thankful and meek "adopted children of God" and should have no pride and arrogance like the Pharisees in Jesus Christ time in human form were. And Romans 8:28 is appropriate in this discussion. Actually the context of the whole very important chapter, especially the following:
26 Likewise The Spirit also helps our infirmities.
For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought,
but The Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And He searching the hearts knows what is the mind of The Spirit,
because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God,
to those who are called according to His purpose.
29 For whom He foreknew,
He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son,
for Him to be the First-born among many brothers.
30 But whom He predestinated, these He also called;
and whom He called, those He also justified.
And whom He justified, these He also glorified.

God-given speaking in tongues will always result in one having wonderful divine peace and divine joy in the mind and "heart" of the receiver and of any witnesses. But many places I have heard tongue speaking, I did not have those feelings. I believe that genuine is a small percentage of what happens where this gift is allowed in the church service. And I have done intercessory praying for those who are faking in order to be accepted by others will learn the real truth about the speaking in tongues gift. That gift has not ceased since the Bible was completed as many wrongly believe. Romans 14:17 is true for living now.

J

jaybird88

I never heard "angel language" being mentioned by any charismatics I have met. I have spoken and sang in tongues, but I thought the words I was given were of a human non-English language. Because in the Pentecost happening, the witnesses heard at least one of the Apostles tongue-speaking in their native language.
Chapter 2
1 And when the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all assembled together in one place,
2 when suddenly there came a sound from heaven like the rushing of a violent tempest blast,
and it filled the whole house in which they were sitting.
3 And there appeared to them tongues resembling fire,
which were separated and distributed and which settled on each one of them.

4 And they were all filled (diffused throughout their souls) with The Holy Spirit
and began to speak in other (different, foreign) languages (tongues),
as The Spirit kept giving them clear and loud expression
[in each tongue in appropriate words].
5 Now there were then residing in Jerusalem Jews,
devout and God-fearing men from every country under heaven.
6 And when this sound was heard, the multitude came together
and they were astonished and bewildered,
because each one heard them [the Apostles]
speaking in his own [particular] dialect.
7 And they were beside themselves with amazement, saying,
“Are not all these who are talking Galileans?
8 Then how is it that we hear, each of us,
in our own (particular) dialect to which we were born?
9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and inhabitants of Mesopotamia,
Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and [the province of] Asia,
10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya about Cyrene,
and the transient residents from Rome,
both Jews and the proselytes [to Judaism from other religions],
11 Cretans and Arabians too--
we all hear them speaking in our own native tongues
[and telling of] the mighty works of God!”
12 And all were beside themselves with amazement
and were puzzled and bewildered, saying one to another,
“What can this mean?”
13 But others made a joke of it and derisively said,
“They are simply drunk and full of sweet [intoxicating] wine.

***When did that Day occur? It is too bad that most Christian churches don’t celebrate the Ascension Day and the Pentecost. Why do you think they don’t? What was the added word mistake in the King James Version in this passage and what does the Amplified Version and other Bible versions say what really happened? Before answering, read 1 Corinthians 14. I have witnessed babbling in Charismatic Churches during the speaking in tongues time and similar things being said as the worship leader or pastor was saying— probable reason: to be accepted and respected. But I have received the true gift of about 10 words I didn’t know, but I heard the same in a Washington DC church after I passed up 6 churches before and during the prayer time for the 1968 Washington for Jesus event the following Saturday. The lady infront of me spoke some of the words I was given. In other charismatic churches and sometimes in my bedroom prayers, I said the same 10 words several times each. Later in March or April 1989, I was given a supernatural short song when I was waiting to pass out Christian tracts at the Oaklawn Race Track in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Those experiences were followed by divine peace and divine joy. Romans 14:17-- “for the Kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” But I am against the demanding that the Gift of Tongues is required to prove one is a true adopted child of God. The Spiritual gifts lists have that gift as last. I am also against the Baptists using one verse in 1 Corinthians 13 to proclaim that God has stopped giving the Gift and then condemn all Charismatics and Pentecostals. Read Exodus 28:1-3, Exodus 31:1-5, Exodus 35:29-33, Psalms 51:10-13, Isaiah 63:11, Ezekiel 2:1-4 & 7, Ezekiel 3:24-27, Ezekiel 3:4-6, 10-11, & 24-27, Luke 1: 39-45, & 67-79, and Ephesians 5:18-21.
what language did you speak?

T

theanointedsinner

@UnderGrace

ping yam, lei sek mmm sek
maan yat lei sek, gai lai dai deem yeurn? juu dak shure mmm shure fook?

lei booi seng geng booi seng deem yeurng? hai mmm hai ho sook sek?
lei hai mmm hai jong yee sherng dai? hai mmm hai hoo jong yee?

mmm goi wui fok fan bei gnaw, daw jeh

presidente

May 29, 2013
its always a friend of a friend which would mean 1 in 1000. it should be just as common as the angel language.
You could try telling... or asking God.. to give that more often. There were a lot of accounts of people understanding the language at the Azusa Street Revival.

presidente

May 29, 2013
You have completely misunderstood me. Read my new post. For almost all Charismatics and Pentecostals and Full Gospel denominations, speaking in tongues is Salvation requirement.
This is false. I have been in and around the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements for over 40 years. The only groups I know of that believe speaking in tongues is a salvation requriement are the Oneness Pentecostals. Their largest denomination is the UPCI, and some of the independents in that movement in the US call themselves Apostolic. 'Apostolic' used to mean Pentecostal until they came around and sort of took over the term in the US, though some Trinitarian Pentecostals call themselves Apostolic in South Africa. Oneness seem to keep to themselves in their own churches. From what I've read, less than 5% of Pentecostals and Charismatics are Oneness. And Oneness would call themselves Pentecostal or Charismatic.

The large Trinitarian Pentecostal denominations, like the Assemblies of God, the Church of God in Christ, Church of God (Cleveland), the International Pentecostal Holiness Church, Congregational Holiness, etc. do not believe speaking in tongues is a requirement for salvation. I've never heard of a Charismatic church teaching that, either. Pentecostals and many Charismatics typically teach that baptism with the Holy Spirit is empowerment that happens after conversation/salvation.

But many Baptists and other Fundamentalists have a tongue problem too in that they expect certain beliefs to be said and lived in order to prove being born again, and most of them condemn all tongue speakers.
I really do not know if that is true of modern Baptist's anymore. Ironically, I read something from about 1800 where a New Light Baptist, the movement from which many modern Baptist denominations sprung, who spoke in tongues.

God-given speaking in tongues will always result in one having wonderful divine peace and divine joy in the mind and "heart" of the receiver and of any witnesses.
I do not believe that is Biblical. In Acts 2, some witnesses scoffed. Even in the Old Testament, some individuals reacted negatively toward prophesyings. Pharoah despised the miracles Moses did. The feelings of onlookers are not a guarantee of anything. Some people feel very disturbed by good evangelistic preaching. Some people get angry.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The idea of making a noise and looking for a man to interpret it does not promote a personal relationship with two walking together in agreement to the one who speaks. It confirms something but what?
I'm trying to decipher your meaning. I suspect you have a problem with Paul's teaching that tongues and interpretation edify the church.

We serve the generation of Christ as those who do walk by faith the unseen eternal

Luke 11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.
We should follow the example of the apostles. The apostles and their companions prayed for God to stretch out His hands and do signs and wonders.

29 Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.”

31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.
(NKJV, emphasis mine)

I have a question for you. If the apostles prayed for God to do signs and wonders, does that prove that everyone who prays for God to do signs and wonders is an apostle? If not, why would a verse about a wicked and adulterous generation seeking a sign be proof that all who asks for signs are evil and adulterous? Jesus did not accuse the apostles of being evil or adulterous when they asked for a sign in Matthew 24.

Matthew 24
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” (NKJV)

This verse shows us that Jesus' disciples asked Him for a sign. Does this prove that everyone who asks Jesus' for a sign is one of His disciples?

Or are logical fallacies only work on verses when you deem them appropriate?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You have completely misunderstood me. Read my new post. For almost all Charismatics and Pentecostals and Full Gospel denominations, speaking in tongues is Salvation requirement. But many Baptists and other Fundamentalists have a tongue problem too in that they expect certain beliefs to be said and lived in order to prove being born again, and most of them condemn all tongue speakers. Many Church of Christ elders expect only one kind of testimony order of events to prove one is a true Christian: they demand Baptism by Immersion and then born-again and remission of sins, but that is not what happened to me and most others I have talked to. But what does the Bible say is my doctrine.

I have been a professional Christian curriculum writer and editor and proofreader, so I am very careful what I say, write, and teach. I try to understand what individuals, especially those who communicate English as a second language. I didn't judge you like you have indicated. Be careful in the future. As God via the Holy Spirit to help you understand what individuals are trying to communicate. Paul said that we "see through a glass darkly" meaning we are limited in understanding even the righteousness of God. Worldly wisdom is mostly very different and misleading. Also arguing is usually fruitless, but discussions, in which all want to learn the truths of God and are open to change their beliefs and opinions because of the just mentioned, are very fruitful. We should be looking for areas of agreement and avoid nonconstructive criticizing and condemn judging and belittling. We are to remember we are only thankful and meek "adopted children of God" and should have no pride and arrogance like the Pharisees in Jesus Christ time in human form were. And Romans 8:28 is appropriate in this discussion. Actually the context of the whole very important chapter, especially the following:
26 Likewise The Spirit also helps our infirmities.
For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought,
but The Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And He searching the hearts knows what is the mind of The Spirit,
because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God,
to those who are called according to His purpose.
29 For whom He foreknew,
He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son,
for Him to be the First-born among many brothers.
30 But whom He predestinated, these He also called;
and whom He called, those He also justified.
And whom He justified, these He also glorified.

God-given speaking in tongues will always result in one having wonderful divine peace and divine joy in the mind and "heart" of the receiver and of any witnesses. But many places I have heard tongue speaking, I did not have those feelings. I believe that genuine is a small percentage of what happens where this gift is allowed in the church service. And I have done intercessory praying for those who are faking in order to be accepted by others will learn the real truth about the speaking in tongues gift. That gift has not ceased since the Bible was completed as many wrongly believe. Romans 14:17 is true for living now.
Thank you for your gracious response. I apologize for misinterpreting your questions as irrelevant. Now I see what you're getting at. :)

Oct 24, 2018
what language did you speak?
I don't know. I did not meet anyone who recognized it, but I still believe that the words were of a used language, current or one of the past languages. Did you know that the famous Webster who wrote the 1828 Webster Dictionary learned 24 different languages (at least part of them), studied the Bible a lot, and read many of the Classic Books in his day. He had many cubby boxes on his office wall where he put papers with information he learned. When my family didn't have a tv for 7 1/2 years, my 4 children spent many hours reading that Dictionary and the first 2 Christian Character Traits Books. I regret that I didn't join them and just listen to them read and discuss. But then humanistic writers affected future editions of the Webster's Dictionary. And back to foreign languages, God has given a good number of people the ability to learn even 10 languages to the level that they can work for places like the United Nations as translators. I barely learned a little of Latin, Spanish, and German, the former 2 in my High School freshman and senior years respectively. But I didn't get divine peace and divine joy in those experience. I did get the later feelings whenever God urged me via the Holy Spirit to speak in a tiny bit of an unknown-to-me tongue. And when I heard some of the words said by an individual in that Washington DC church, it was just a confirmation of God's Providence. He is so Wonderful (in all 3 persons, but 1 God).

Oct 24, 2018
Thank you for your gracious response. I apologize for misinterpreting your questions as irrelevant. Now I see what you're getting at. :)

I respected all of your responses. If you want to talk about other current Christianity issues and even political issues, please contact me via e-mail. I have been doing Internet ministering for 15 years. My main emphasis has been "let's get back to the Basics of true Christianity": more thankfulness and love for God and His Word, more Proverbs 3:5-6 and Jude 20-23 living, and God-pleasing marriages of thankfulness and unselfishness. I am not selling anything. I have over 300 Bible study tools and I have over 7000 other information that I have fixed formatting, rated, and sorted into folders in my computer and some are also in my www.box.com account.

Oct 24, 2018
This is false. I have been in and around the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements for over 40 years. The only groups I know of that believe speaking in tongues is a salvation requriement are the Oneness Pentecostals. Their largest denomination is the UPCI, and some of the independents in that movement in the US call themselves Apostolic. 'Apostolic' used to mean Pentecostal until they came around and sort of took over the term in the US, though some Trinitarian Pentecostals call themselves Apostolic in South Africa. Oneness seem to keep to themselves in their own churches. From what I've read, less than 5% of Pentecostals and Charismatics are Oneness. And Oneness would call themselves Pentecostal or Charismatic.

The large Trinitarian Pentecostal denominations, like the Assemblies of God, the Church of God in Christ, Church of God (Cleveland), the International Pentecostal Holiness Church, Congregational Holiness, etc. do not believe speaking in tongues is a requirement for salvation. I've never heard of a Charismatic church teaching that, either. Pentecostals and many Charismatics typically teach that baptism with the Holy Spirit is empowerment that happens after conversation/salvation.

I really do not know if that is true of modern Baptist's anymore. Ironically, I read something from about 1800 where a New Light Baptist, the movement from which many modern Baptist denominations sprung, who spoke in tongues.

I do not believe that is Biblical. In Acts 2, some witnesses scoffed. Even in the Old Testament, some individuals reacted negatively toward prophesyings. Pharoah despised the miracles Moses did. The feelings of onlookers are not a guarantee of anything. Some people feel very disturbed by good evangelistic preaching. Some people get angry.

***I have not lied. I have been to many kinds of charismatic, Baptist, Bible, mainline denomination churches. Again I didn't lie in my postings. And now I am just a Bible believing and obeying consecrated true Christian mostly doing what the Holy Spirit urges. I have witnessed so much wrong judging etc. in many churches. Instead what should be happening is stated in John 14-17, Philippians 2, and Ephesians. And what does Ephesians 5 say should happen after one is filled with the Holy Spirit?

presidente

May 29, 2013
***I have not lied. I have been to many kinds of charismatic, Baptist, Bible, mainline denomination churches. Again I didn't lie in my postings. And now I am just a Bible believing and obeying consecrated true Christian mostly doing what the Holy Spirit urges. I have witnessed so much wrong judging etc. in many churches. Instead what should be happening is stated in John 14-17, Philippians 2, and Ephesians. And what does Ephesians 5 say should happen after one is filled with the Holy Spirit?
I was not accusing you of intentionally lying. I believe you are mistaken. I would not be surprised if there are a few exceptions to the rule, but I know of no congregation that calls itself congregation that teaches you aren't saved unless you speak in tongues or any Pentecostals who teach that that are not non-trinitarian, which is very much the minority.

presidente

May 29, 2013
And back to foreign languages, God has given a good number of people the ability to learn even 10 languages to the level that they can work for places like the United Nations as translators.
There was a linguistics professor at the university I studied at who had learned 30 languages, if I remembrer correctly. He was into reconstruction Proto-IndoEuropean and most of the languages he learned were Indo-European languages, so maybe they were all like dialects to him. He could tell you the derivations of words off his head from theoretically reconstructed Proto-IndoEuropean.

CS1

May 23, 2012
There was a linguistics professor at the university I studied at who had learned 30 languages, if I remembrer correctly. He was into reconstruction Proto-IndoEuropean and most of the languages he learned were Indo-European languages, so maybe they were all like dialects to him. He could tell you the derivations of words off his head from theoretically reconstructed Proto-IndoEuropean.
It is sad that some here result to mocking the gifts of the Holy Spirit and gets many laughs from Christians who cannot use the word of God to make the point so they now, result in mockery. They type the words "ping yam" to mock the Spirit of God and His gifts. they ask a question like what language you speak in, or make a linguistic authoritative over the word of God.

Where is the explanation from the word of God these gifts are done away with? Or they are not for today? They don't have them from the word so they result to mockery, and foolishness.

Oct 24, 2018
Wow!!