Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Paul wrote, "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding." The context clearly indicates praying in a tongue unknown to Paul. "Unknown" is relative to the one speaking and those hearing, rather than being an absolute adjective.

If you are praising God with your mind, heart, and natural language, and you switch to tongues, which makes more sense... adoring or cursing?
Well "my spirit" is not the Holy Spirit. According to the common teaching it is supposed to be the Holy Spirit that is speaking when one prays or speaks in tongues. I do believe that the spirit of man is quite difficult to manage and capable of many things similar to the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
I propose for churches to folliw scripture.
Fair enough.
Here's your to-do list. Get with it.

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
NIV, 2011 edition. NASB says the same thing, as does the KJV. Which version are you reading?

You believe in a different set of "historical facts" than I do.
I use both KJV and NASB
my eschatology is amillenianism

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The gifts of the Spirit that are still in operatoin today are for the edification of the church. Tongues (as in garbled gibberish) never was a gift. The Holy Spirit does not divide the people of God, but does divide the reprobates from God's people.

The "sign gifts" of cults promotes division even among its own adherents, "spiritual superiority" is sought and envied within the group.

If the sign gifts were in operation today AND available to everyone it would be THE anamaly of all time that these are found only in cults.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I use both KJV and NASB
my eschatology is amillenianism
I never could understand the amillennial position. It seems to preclude the essential requirement and nature of the Kingdom.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I never could understand the amillennial position. It seems to preclude the essential requirement and nature of the Kingdom.
Whatever those "essential requirements" are........I have no idea what you are inferring.
You might want to sort out your questions and get some answers from reliable sources.

Keep waiting and watching for that GREAT TRIB.

I'll just be waiting for Christ to come at the LAST trump.........maranatha

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well "my spirit" is not the Holy Spirit. According to the common teaching it is supposed to be the Holy Spirit that is speaking when one prays or speaks in tongues. I do believe that the spirit of man is quite difficult to manage and capable of many things similar to the Holy Spirit.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
You seem to have an issue with the words Paul wrote. Take it up with the Lord, not with me. The clear context is speaking in tongues. Paul didn't suddenly switch to a completely different subject mid-sentence.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Whatever those "essential requirements" are........I have no idea what you are inferring.
You might want to sort out your questions and get some answers from reliable sources.

Keep waiting and watching for that GREAT TRIB.

I'll just be waiting for Christ to come at the LAST trump.........maranatha
The essential requirement is surely the wholesale national repentance of Israel and their recognition of their Messiah Jesus per Zechariah 12.

The essential nature is noted in Isaiah ch 65 and many other places.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The essential requirement is surely the wholesale national repentance of Israel and their recognition of their Messiah Jesus per Zechariah 12.

The essential nature is noted in Isaiah ch 65 and many other places.
Looks to me like Zech 12 is about God punishing Israel.....once again for their unbelie

wholesale national repentance? ain't gonns happen

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Looks to me like Zech 12 is about God punishing Israel.....once again for their unbelie

wholesale national repentance? ain't gonns happen
"ain't gonna happen"?
Such an opinion is not scriptural. Its there in black and white. Ignore this at your peril.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
"ain't gonna happen"?
Such an opinion is not scriptural. Its there in black and white. Ignore this at your peril.
Ignore your post at MY PERIL?
Get a grip on yourself.
and I repeat............AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
POOR WAGGLES........GOES AROUND PUTTING HIS/HER BIG RED X ON MY POSTS ABOUT HIS/HER CULT.
lIKE THAT IS GOING TO STOP ME.

Since when is a big red x an apologetic in forums?
Stop hidiing behind those x's and give your apologetic.......if you have one. Probably should consult TBN before you try. Hal Lindsay will help you out.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Ignore your post at MY PERIL?
Get a grip on yourself.
and I repeat............AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!
Not my post. Zechariah 12. Ultimately the repentance of Israel is one of the primary themes of the Bible and the creation as well.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Not my post. Zechariah 12. Ultimately the repentance of Israel is one of the primary themes of the Bible and the creation as well.
Yes..........in the OLD covenenat. God gave them plenty of time.........thousands of years.......today they do not even follow their own religious laws nor give animal sacrifice for their sins. Most Jews today are very secular, the oldest ones are the few that try to even attend synagogue.

Repenatance does not mean to be SORRY or have regrets.....it means to turn away from the sin, denounce it, renounce it......leave it.
There are Jews that will never accept Jesus Christ as Messiah and THAT is what they need to repent from.

Nov 23, 2013
"ain't gonna happen"?
Zec 12:2 (KJV) Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.

There is no kingdom of Judah anymore, it hasn’t existed for over 2000 years.

Nov 23, 2013
Zec 12:10 (KJV) And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Jesus brought grace to the people of Jerusalem over 2000 years ago.

They looked upon him whom they pierced over 2000 years ago.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Yes..........in the OLD covenenat. God gave them plenty of time.........thousands of years.......today they do not even follow their own religious laws nor give animal sacrifice for their sins. Most Jews today are very secular, the oldest ones are the few that try to even attend synagogue.

Repenatance does not mean to be SORRY or have regrets.....it means to turn away from the sin, denounce it, renounce it......leave it.
There are Jews that will never accept Jesus Christ as Messiah and THAT is what they need to repent from.
The certainty of the repentance of Israel (that of receiving Christ Jesus) is an eventuality so beyond recourse that IMO the entire future reclaimation and reconstitution of the universe invariably depends upon it. You cannot have the latter without first having the former.
Furthermore, all of the prophecies indicating the (near) future regathering of Israel are predicated on this selfsame national repentance.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The certainty of the repentance of Israel (that of receiving Christ Jesus) is an eventuality so beyond recourse that IMO the entire future reclaimation and reconstitution of the universe invariably depends upon it. You cannot have the latter without first having the former.
Furthermore, all of the prophecies indicating the (near) future regathering of Israel are predicated on this selfsame national repentance.

All prophecies to the Jews have been fulfilled.
The only prophecy to the church was that Jesus would come for His people (rapture) which we now wait for His coming.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
All prophecies to the Jews have been fulfilled.
The only prophecy to the church was that Jesus would come for His people (rapture) which we now wait for His coming.
Not the part about national repentance that's for sure. Oh....and the 3rd temple too.