Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Be Continually Being Filled
“For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15)

This prophecy of the angel Gabriel, bearing as it does a tremendous testimony to the character of John the Baptist, contains the first reference in the New Testament to the unique Christian doctrine of the filling of the Holy Spirit. John was the first Christian witness, directing his own disciples to Christ (John 1:35-37) and clearly preaching the gospel of salvation through Christ alone (John 3:26-36). It is significant that he was filled with the Holy Spirit all his life. Jesus is also said to have been full of the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:1) and was undoubtedly so filled from the time of conception (Psalm 22:10), but the explicit statement is made only of John.

The fullness of the Spirit is available for every believer, of course. In the New Testament, both of John’s parents were said to be so filled on a specific occasion (Luke 1:41, 67). The disciples of the Lord were filled with the Spirit many times (Acts 2:4; 4:31; 13:52). Peter was said to be filled with the Holy Spirit on at least one special occasion (Acts 4:8), and Paul at least twice (Acts 9:17; 13:9). One of the qualifications sought in the first deacons was that they were to be men full of the Holy Ghost (Acts 6:3), and one of those chosen, Stephen, was specifically so described (Acts 6:5; 7:55). Barnabas was another Spirit-filled Christian believer (Acts 11:24). Undoubtedly there were many others. In fact, every believer is commanded to be “filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18). The reference in this key passage is not to a one-time event, but to frequent fillings. “Be continually being filled” is the literal rendering.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Be Continually Being Filled
“For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15)

This prophecy of the angel Gabriel, bearing as it does a tremendous testimony to the character of John the Baptist, contains the first reference in the New Testament to the unique Christian doctrine of the filling of the Holy Spirit. John was the first Christian witness, directing his own disciples to Christ (John 1:35-37) and clearly preaching the gospel of salvation through Christ alone (John 3:26-36). It is significant that he was filled with the Holy Spirit all his life. Jesus is also said to have been full of the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:1) and was undoubtedly so filled from the time of conception (Psalm 22:10), but the explicit statement is made only of John.

The fullness of the Spirit is available for every believer, of course. In the New Testament, both of John’s parents were said to be so filled on a specific occasion (Luke 1:41, 67). The disciples of the Lord were filled with the Spirit many times (Acts 2:4; 4:31; 13:52). Peter was said to be filled with the Holy Spirit on at least one special occasion (Acts 4:8), and Paul at least twice (Acts 9:17; 13:9). One of the qualifications sought in the first deacons was that they were to be men full of the Holy Ghost (Acts 6:3), and one of those chosen, Stephen, was specifically so described (Acts 6:5; 7:55). Barnabas was another Spirit-filled Christian believer (Acts 11:24). Undoubtedly there were many others. In fact, every believer is commanded to be “filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18). The reference in this key passage is not to a one-time event, but to frequent fillings. “Be continually being filled” is the literal rendering.
I never denied the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I am not in agreement that the SIGN gifts are for today, but ceased with the last apostle

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
And how did you interpret that?
The internet, one can find anything there!
The pictures he provided show that the script was all in capital letters. No need to be able to read it to see that; one only needs a basic knowledge of the Greek alphabet.

Since you seem inclined to gainsay every piece of evidence presented to you, go and do the research yourself. Search images with "majuscule text Greek manuscript".

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
The pictures he provided show that the script was all in capital letters. No need to be able to read it to see that; one only needs a basic knowledge of the Greek alphabet.

Since you seem inclined to gainsay every piece of evidence presented to you, go and do the research yourself. Search images with "majuscule text Greek manuscript".
Dino.....I never dismissed the "evidence".........the person claimed to know Greek, I just asked what kind....Koine?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Dino.....I never dismissed the "evidence".........the person claimed to know Greek, I just asked what kind....Koine?
I don't see where anyone made such a claim. Perhaps you could quote them.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You are very contentious, and I do NOT care. Once again you came late to the post. I see that as a YOU problem, not a ME problem.
You made a claim. I questioned your claim. If you find that too contentious, you lack the fortitude for this forum.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I never denied the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I am not in agreement that the SIGN gifts are for today, but ceased with the last apostle
Such a declararation is not supported explicitly by Scripure. However, based on my own personal observations to date, I can say that I have not witnessed the sign gifts in a convincing way. I am no cessationist nor do I preach that doctrine. But I strongly suspect that the sign gifts are not operative in any meaningful way today.

presidente

May 29, 2013
John's father Zecharias was filled with the Boly Spirit and prophesied.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I did not say anything about knowing Greek. What I posted was some general knowledge about the language. You had made an argumenent about what 'that which is perfect' in Greek means based on the letter not being capitalized and I ppinted out that they were all caps in Greek.

And you do dismiss evidence that disproved your point of view. I quoted Irenaeus reference to prophesying, speaking in tongues, etc. In his day. You said I was quoting from a site that supported the gifts continuing. Then you had a problem, apparently, with it being an RCC site.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
(To G&T) You said I was quoting from a site that supported the gifts continuing. Then you had a problem, apparently, with it being an RCC site.
Meanwhile, she quotes from a cessationist site in the other thread. I'm amused by the hypocrisy.

presidente

May 29, 2013
You are very contentious, and I do NOT care. Once again you came late to the post. I see that as a YOU problem, not a ME problem.
Your calling any other poster on this thread contentious is like the pot calling the kettle black. Dino has been on the thread a really long time.

Do you realize you come off as very nasty and childish? You never did answer my question about whether you were about 19 years old. You have made some claims your evidence did not back up (about Marcus), at least one claim that appeared to be guesswork that you treated as fact (capitalized), a claim that was clearly false (title to Against Heresies), and you dismiss evidence that disproves your claims with lame excuses. You do all that with a nasty abbrasive attitude. The combination comes off as very foolish. We would like to engage with you in a mature manner, but you are going to have to change the way you approach the discussion. I would encourage you to pray about this.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Meanwhile, she quotes from a cessationist site in the other thread. I'm amused by the hypocrisy.
Irenaeus quotes are actually nteresting point. I-cessationist, which was the point. I have no reason to think the translator had a particular agenda. A essationist who hosted Irenaeus' books on his site is going to host some noncessationust material. But the same is true if he posted the whole Bible on his site

presidente

May 29, 2013
Irenaeus quotes are actually nteresting point. I-cessationist, which was the point. I have no reason to think the translator had a particular agenda. A essationist who hosted Irenaeus' books on his site is going to host some noncessationust material. But the same is true if he posted the whole Bible on his site
Sorry. Part of my post was replaced by a dash when I editted it. Irenaeus was not a cessationist.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
John's father Zecharias was filled with the Boly Spirit and prophesied.
Sure, OT Jew canon not yet complete. Did not prophesy to Gentiles or for Gentiles. Dispensations are useful for those who bother to consider them.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

presidente

May 29, 2013
Can you show me where the Bible divides gifts up into 'sign gifts' and 'nonsign gifts'? If you can't, what is your justification for doing so? Do you think gifts of healing and the working of miracles was only for the past? If so, what is your Biblical justification for this belief?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Sure, OT Jew canon not yet complete. Did not prophesy to Gentiles or for Gentiles. Dispensations are useful for those who bother to consider them.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Jews closed their 'canon' at the council of Jammia

presidente

May 29, 2013
It's a perspective to use to view things. But if people start contradicting scripture and saying 'These New Testament scriptures are no longer valid because my dispensational chart says it is for another time period', then there is a problem of authority. The chart does not have more authority than the Bible.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Can you show me where the Bible divides gifts up into 'sign gifts' and 'nonsign gifts'? If you can't, what is your justification for doing so? Do you think gifts of healing and the working of miracles was only for the past? If so, what is your Biblical justification for this belief?

The Permanent Spiritual Gifts to the church

1. Teaching
2. Helps (Ministering)
3. Administration
4. Evangelism
5. hospitality
6. Exhortation

Temporary sign gifts to the Jews

1. miracles
2. healing
3. tongues
4. word of knowedge