Speaking in tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
FYI the term Modern tongues is not in the Bible or in Context to what is Known as the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
This has already been addressed in a few previous posts, q.v.

CS1

May 23, 2012
This has already been addressed in a few previous posts, q.v.
yes, it has as many continue to assert the term modern tongues which is not Biblical. Just pointing out the unbiblical error repeated.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
In our Pentecostal church - The Revival Fellowship
ALL members who believe are baptised in water and are baptised in the Holy Spirit; with the Bible evidence of ALL speaking
in new tongues (our daily prayer language).

At our worship meetings we conduct the three voice gifts of the Holy Spirit (as we are commanded to in 1Corinthians 14)
first a person will speak out in an unknown tongue and this is followed by the gift of interpretation;
this is done to a maximum of three times (decently and in order).

to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various
kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. [1Corinthians 12:10] ESV

Here one can see how this voice gift is truly very different from the sign given to all Pentecostal disciples upon baptism in the
Holy Spirit.
For when a person who can pray in tongues operates the voice gift of tongues in a worship meeting the sound and style of this
voice gift is distinctly different from their usual daily prayer language.

But the cherry on the cake are the gifts of prophecy wherein God [both the Father and Jesus] speaks to his church and tells us
wonderful things about the church of God, about world events; glimpses of the future …

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
@CS1 -

The term "modern tongues" is used to differentiate it from "tongues" as referenced in the Bible, which are all references to real, rational language(s). Modern tongues are non-cognitive non-language utterance.

Mar 28, 2016
In our Pentecostal church - The Revival Fellowship
ALL members who believe are baptised in water and are baptised in the Holy Spirit; with the Bible evidence of ALL speaking
in new tongues (our daily prayer language).

At our worship meetings we conduct the three voice gifts of the Holy Spirit (as we are commanded to in 1Corinthians 14)
first a person will speak out in an unknown tongue and this is followed by the gift of interpretation;
this is done to a maximum of three times (decently and in order).

to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various
kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. [1Corinthians 12:10] ESV

Here one can see how this voice gift is truly very different from the sign given to all Pentecostal disciples upon baptism in the
Holy Spirit.
For when a person who can pray in tongues operates the voice gift of tongues in a worship meeting the sound and style of this
voice gift is distinctly different from their usual daily prayer language.

But the cherry on the cake are the gifts of prophecy wherein God [both the Father and Jesus] speaks to his church and tells us
wonderful things about the church of God, about world events; glimpses of the future …
The gift of hearing prophecy is "believing God".(no outward sign) Believeing God not seen is the cherry on the cake.

The outward sign of tongues follows after prophecy as tongues God speaking in all the languages of all the nations. It is a sign that other do not believe the word of God. the Pentcoster (sign seekers)simply turn it upside down taking away the understanding of the purpose of the tongues doctrine .

. By passing the foundation (Isaiah's 28) and the defining of the law 1 Corinthians 14:21-22 is what the sign points to another gospel another Christ.

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.Wherefore tongues are for a sign, "not to them that believe", but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
The problem for all of you is that how a Spirit-filled church is to function and prosper is written in detail specifically in
I Corinthians 12 and 14 (and referred to and upheld throughout Acts and the epistles).
We enjoy the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit and they are readily applied throughout the body as required;
plus we also operate our worship meetings in full accord with the scriptures.

Thus what was in the beginning has been revived again for these last of last days - the latter rain of the outpouring of the
Holy Spirit.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I find it fascinating that God takes control of the one thing man cannot control as evidence of His abiding presence; the tongue.

"For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame;" (James 3:7-8) However, with God all things are possible. (Matt 19:26)

In addition, on the Day of Pentecost a flame resembling a cloven (split) tongue appeared above each person when the Spirit entered their body. This record in Acts points to a couple things considering each believer is to be God's dwelling place upon rebirth:

1. The Israelites knew when God was present in the darkness of night by the pillar of flame that appeared above the Old Testament tabernacle. (Exodus 25:8, 22, 29:43,40:34-38)

2. The cloven (split or divided in two) tongue appears to represent that there are two types of tongues: One as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and two; the Spiritual gift of tongues.

Jul 23, 2018
@CS1 -

The term "modern tongues" is used to differentiate it from "tongues" as referenced in the Bible, which are all references to real, rational language(s). Modern tongues are non-cognitive non-language utterance.
....which points back to paul speaking in unknown tongues where is mind was unfruitful,and as he said ,to God not man.
Same as modern tongues.
Same God,same power,same Spirit,same gifts.
All for us the church.
All the church able to reject it.
It is up to us.

Mar 28, 2016
The problem for all of you is that how a Spirit-filled church is to function and prosper is written in detail specifically in
I Corinthians 12 and 14 (and referred to and upheld throughout Acts and the epistles).
We enjoy the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit and they are readily applied throughout the body as required;
plus we also operate our worship meetings in full accord with the scriptures.

Thus what was in the beginning has been revived again for these last of last days - the latter rain of the outpouring of the
Holy Spirit.

The problem is the idea of a "Spirit filled church". Some like the ring of it . All churches are filled with the Spirit. Right from the beginning he gives us His Spirit without measure . Those who seek after a signs and wonders gospel make it into a filling station …."fill her up" with self edification on the weekends.

2 Corinthians 10:12-14 King James Version (KJV) For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you. For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ:

Mar 28, 2016
....which points back to paul speaking in unknown tongues where is mind was unfruitful,and as he said ,to God not man.
Same as modern tongues.
Same God,same power,same Spirit,same gifts.
All for us the church.
All the church able to reject it.
It is up to us.
According to the law in respect to the doctrine of tongues.(1 Corinthians 14:21-22) What does the sign that follows represent as to what it does confirm? Once that is established as a foundation then you can build on it.

What does Isaiah 28 have to offer as the foundation. What is it confirming?

Mar 28, 2016
I find it fascinating that God takes control of the one thing man cannot control as evidence of His abiding presence; the tongue.

"For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame;" (James 3:7-8) However, with God all things are possible. (Matt 19:26)

In addition, on the Day of Pentecost a flame resembling a cloven (split) tongue appeared above each person when the Spirit entered their body. This record in Acts points to a couple things considering each believer is to be God's dwelling place upon rebirth:

1. The Israelites knew when God was present in the darkness of night by the pillar of flame that appeared above the Old Testament tabernacle. (Exodus 25:8, 22, 29:43,40:34-38)

2. The cloven (split or divided in two) tongue appears to represent that there are two types of tongues: One as the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and two; the Spiritual gift of tongues.
I see it more as one thing. The infiling of the Spirit of Christ, the gift of hearing God.

Signs throughout the Bible follow after the unseen eternal work . They do not lead. Prophecy leads as many that are led by the Spirit that dwells in them.

The Israelites that did believe God were waiting 400 years for God to fulfill the prophecy made to Abraham . Those who knew not God did not believe prophecy . So God multiplied His signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt against those who did not believe in a God not seen.

Exodus 7:2-4 King James Version (KJV)
Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land.And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.

Like in Acts the tongue or in 1 Kings 18:37-39 it is used to represent certain men have the approval of God .This is when God was still brining new revelations. Cloven tongues like a fire licked up the proving water showing the fiery judgement had ben satisfied .,Just as it was a sign in Acts.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2: 3-4

1 Kings 18:37-39 King James Version (KJV)Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the Lord God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again. Then the fire of the Lord fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The Lord, he is the God; the Lord, he is the God.

Jul 23, 2018
The problem is the idea of a "Spirit filled church". Some like the ring of it . All churches are filled with the Spirit. Right from the beginning he gives us His Spirit without measure . Those who seek after a signs and wonders gospel make it into a filling station …."fill her up" with self edification on the weekends.

2 Corinthians 10:12-14 King James Version (KJV) For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you. For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ:
The 7 letters to the 7 churches sums it up.
Some were dead and in danger of anathema...or were already there.

The ones today that even preach against the Holy Spirit are already dead.
But to them,sadly,they are dead right

Jul 23, 2018
According to the law in respect to the doctrine of tongues.(1 Corinthians 14:21-22) What does the sign that follows represent as to what it does confirm? Once that is established as a foundation then you can build on it.

What does Isaiah 28 have to offer as the foundation. What is it confirming?
Not sure what you mean

Mar 28, 2016
The 7 letters to the 7 churches sums it up.
Some were dead and in danger of anathema...or were already there.

The ones today that even preach against the Holy Spirit are already dead.
But to them,sadly,they are dead right
Yes its the whole idea of being filled over and over with self edification. Never seeming to reach the goal .

Mar 28, 2016
Not sure what you mean
The outward sign of tongues confirms something .What does it confirm?

Some say the filling of the Spirit? Others say it confirms they refuse to hear the Spirit and believe as a result .No outward sign.

It becomes personal between the believer and God who lives in them . What do you say the sign confirms and not what does other men say ?

Green.....
those who do hear prophecy and believe God not seen.
Black....those who did hear prophecy and did not believe God, not seen (atheist) no faith that comes from hearing and believing God.

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will "they" not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, "not to them that believe", but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14: 21-22

Once that is established then a person can build on it as a sign against those who will not confirm they hear the gospel and believe as a anchor to their new souls.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
BTW, there's one good thing about so many people fighting against God's word. It keeps it at the forefront of the message stream. :)

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
The problem is the idea of a "Spirit filled church" … All churches are filled with the Spirit.
Simply not true. A falsehood.
Catholic, protestant and orthodox churches are not Spirit-filled nor Spirit lead.
I write from personal experience having grown up in the Roman Catholic church with some involvements with Lutherans.
I can assure you Garee (and others) that their is NO equivalency to a ridgy didge true blue pentecostal church in which ALL are
baptized in the Holy Spirit and ALL have testimonies to being converted, cleansed, tongues, miracles, healings, blessings, and
the daily manifestation of the power of God and the gospel in our lives.

Mar 28, 2016
I am not saying this church has the Holy Spirit and another does not . But the whole fueling station where a person runs low idea and needs refilling .Maybe a tongue maybe slain in the spirit or another devise for topping it off.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I am not saying this church has the Holy Spirit and another does not . But the whole fueling station where a person runs low idea and needs refilling .Maybe a tongue maybe slain in the spirit or another devise for topping it off.
You know nothing.
One does not get re-filled.
When a believer is baptized in the Holy Spirit and can pray in tongues this is power and it is the refreshing; along with a new
spiritual birth/life.
This is a daily life-long experience that does not diminish.
It is only when a disciple turns their back on the faith and walks away from Jesus that this power and presence will then
dwindle and subside - but God is true and faithful and will never leave nor forsake utterly an unbelieving disciple.

I met a man who asked me for a light for his cigarette; but I explained to him that I did not smoke ciggies anymore as God had
cleansed me from that addiction.
He responded that he too had been saved from cigarettes and heroin addictions and was born again and could speak in tongues;
but that he had left the faith and gone back into the world and taken up again his addictions and more.
He showed me his forearms and they were full of needle track marks.
He was very despondent and said that the Holy Spirit had left him and he was lost.
I reminded him that Jesus was always ever faithful and that He would not leave nor forsake a son or daughter of God; and that
the Holy Spirit was still present within him.
So we walked across the road to a vacant block and I started praying in tongues and he also burst out praying in tongues.
He was filled with joy knowing that the power of God was still there and available for him to evoke as needed.
I prayed that like the prodigal son that he would come back to his Father and overcome the world.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It's fine that you don't believe in speaking in tongues. You don't need to make a ridiculous caricature of it.