Spiritual Gifts what does it mean practically?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Is the gift of cooking, of the natural man or woman, or of the spiritual?
Hi Stones...I have always been able to cook but only because I had to :rolleyes:, to keep my children alive...But I live on my own now, and because I have diabetes, I cried out to the LORD because everything I eat, even healthy food, my sugars were still high...

Since the new year, and through my tears and frustrations, I asked God to lead me in a new way of eating, and these past weeks I have been cooking from natural ingredients that I never believed I could make, so no glory to me, but from the hand of God Himself, so what would you call that, I call it a helping hand and a blessing...All good things come from above...James 1: 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows...God I believe has given me a new gift in cooking, He has put a new desire on my heart , He heard my cries...xox...

A

Ariel82

A. Can anyone post all the Bible verses that mention it?
1 Corinthians 12:1-11
Romans 12:3-8
Ephesians 4:11-13
1 Peter 4:10-11
B. Do we have a list of the spiritual gifts God gives to us.
1 Cor 12:1-11 show us 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit:
Word of wisdom
Word of knowledge
Discerning of spirits[this is not a gift of discernment]
miracles
faith
gifts of healing
tongues
interpretation of tongues
prophecy
Romans 12:3-8 show us 7 grace/motive gifts:
general prophecy
exhortation
Service
teaching
administration
givingmercy
Ephesians 4:11-13 show us 5 ministry gifts given to the body for maturing, equipping and completing:
Apostle
Prophet
Evangelist
Pastor
teacher
1 Peter 4:10-11 show us 2 gifts:
Speaking
serviceAll these gifts operate and manifest through the 9 fruit of the Spirit. Love being the most important way to allow God to give you and grace you in any gift.
Awesome post thanks!

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Forgive for they know not yet what is true.
Yes I am not personally hateful or spiteful.
But I will not roll over and surrender to the anti-Christs who
deny the anointing that Pentecost is.
I cannot but preach and defend the common salvation
once delivered to the saints (the church of God).

And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way
of truth shall be evil spoken of.
2Peter 2:2
Bible prophecy always comes to fruition

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Hi Stones...I have always been able to cook but only because I had to :rolleyes:, to keep my children alive...But I live on my own now, and because I have diabetes, I cried out to the LORD because everything I eat, even healthy food, my sugars were still high...

Since the new year, and through my tears and frustrations, I asked God to lead me in a new way of eating, and these past weeks I have been cooking from natural ingredients that I never believed I could make, so no glory to me, but from the hand of God Himself, so what would you call that, I call it a helping hand and a blessing...All good things come from above...James 1: 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows...God I believe has given me a new gift in cooking, He has put a new desire on my heart , He heard my cries...xox...
Just making a point Rosemary, hopefully to differentiate between the natural, and the spiritual. I'm a direct kind of person, and wasn't trying to offend.

Sorry.

It's not a gift according to what is shown in the Word to be the gifts of Holy Spirit.

A

Ariel82

3. Does God still give us these gifts today?
Yes.
I've gotten into a couple of arguments with some people who believe that certain gifts of the spirit ended in the time of Jesus. They believe that in our world today, men and women are not capable of working miracles like making the blind to see and healing the sick, and making prophecies. This is halfway true because no one is capable of doing these things except through God or through other demonic forces.
I belong to a ministry where we have people who possess the different 5 fold ministry gifts, and I've watched them perform healing miracles and cast out demons and make prophecies that I have seen come to pass.
I believe we still have ALL of these gifts, just to different people.It is possible to possess multiple gifts, but I'm not sure if it is possible to possess all of them.

4) If you believe that God has given you a spiritual gift, how did God reveal that gift to you?
I know there's a calling upon my life because whenever great men of God see me, they usually say things like "God is going to use you mightily" or "you will do great things" but I'm not sure what exactly my calling is. My best friend was recently ordained as a pastor, and I know one thing he has always desired is to see visions and have prophesies, and basically work in the office of a prophet. we attended a church program last year and the head preacher who we didn't really know personally called him out from the crowd and anointed him. He said to him that the Lord revealed to him that he desires to be a prophet, and he said that one thing with Christianity is that strong desires prevail. The fact that this pastor that we'd never met before was able to know what he desired, and anoint him, I am pretty sure there's a prophetic calling upon his life, and this is how God revealed it to him.

I hope this was helpful
After reading the Old testament I don't know why any one would seek to be a prophet of God.

Do people read what God asks His prophets to do?

Would you cook your food over human dung? Would you carry a sewer pipe through town?

Would you die in a pit of lions?

Can you drink from the cup Jesus drank from and die to self and suffer for the sins of unrighteius men because you love them and are following God's will.

When God calls His prophets it's not to a life of Armani suits and jet planes. It is to wander homeless from church to church exhorting and teaching people God's message for them.

Your friend should not pray for the gift of prophecy unless he is willing to be homeless,,beaten,thrown in jail and even killed for preaching the Gospel of Jesus.

I will keep you in prayer because I believe God gifts all His children gifts to bless His church and one another. I will pray that the wolves don't lead you astray and you learn to eat meat and be able to discern good from evil after having drunk the pure milk of the Bible.

I recommend reading the whole Bible before anyone enter into ministry of leadership.

Paul studied for 3 years before his missionary work.

Jesus did not preach publically until he was 30.

Last edited by a moderator:

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013

Yes I am not personally hateful or spiteful.
But I will not roll over and surrender to the anti-Christs who
deny the anointing that Pentecost is.
I cannot but preach and defend the common salvation
once delivered to the saints (the church of God).

And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way
of truth shall be evil spoken of.
2Peter 2:2
Bible prophecy always comes to fruition
Totally understand waggles. There are some here who simply don't understand, and revelation is needed, but then others who claim maturity in the faith and are denying the power of Holy Spirit.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
After reading the Old testament I don't know why any one would seek to be a prophet of God.

Would you cook your food over human dung? Would you carry a sewer pipe through town?

Can you drink from the cup Jesus drank from and die to self and suffer for the sins of unrighteius men because you love them and are following God's will.

When God calls His prophets it's not to a life of Armani suits and jet planes. It is to wander homeless from church to church exhorting and teaching people God's message for them.

Your friend should not pray for the gift of prophecy unless he is willing to be homeless,,beaten,thrown in jail and even killed for preaching the Gospel of Jesus.

I will keep you in prayer because I believe God gifts all His children gifts to bless His church and one another. I will pray that the wolves don't lead you astray and you learn to eat meat and be able to discern good from evil after having drunk the pure milk of the Bible.

I recommend reading the whole Bible before anyone enter into ministry.
The old is gone Ariel.

A

Ariel82

Is the gift of cooking, of the natural man or woman, or of the spiritual?
All good things come from God. Good good prepared with love is a testament of God's grace and providence to provide for our needs, he has blessed all humanity nightly but we forget to give Him thanks and praise for His many blessings. We claim we do this and we do that but forget it is God who moves us and has blessed us with these ability and all praise and glory should go to Him.

That is how we pray and give thanks to God unceasely by always knowing He is the reason we live and breathe.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Forgot this one point. Talents and gifts are different. Both can increase. :)

to Rosemary.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012

I recommend reading the whole Bible before anyone enter into ministry of leadership.

Paul studied for 3 years before his missionary work.

Jesus did not preach publically until he was 30.
People may seek to be prophets but they can seek all they want only God choses who is his prophets or not. The gift of prophecy is not the same as being a prophet, asking for the gift or prophecy is a good thing and is even encouraged by Paul and a prophet in the new covenant is not the same as it was in ot you don't have to be like John the baptist and live in wild and have to deal with being beaten and attacked all the time. The office and role of a prophet has been vastly misunderstood as the gift of prophecy has as well

A

Ariel82

Plus dying in pits of lions is what happened to Christian under the Roman emperor Nero.

Peter was crucified upside down.

Drinking of the cup that Jesus drank when He died in the cross is new testament reference as well.

A

Ariel82

The baptism of Holy Spirit is to be sought. This does not apply.
It is better to seek love than spiritual gifts.

The baptism of the Holy spirit is a gift given to all who accept the Gospel and can not be "sought" only freely given.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Plus dying in pits of lions is what happened to Christian under the Roman emperor Nero.

Peter was crucified upside down.

Drinking of the cup that Jesus drank when He died in the cross is new testament reference as well.
This is called persecution. Has nothing to do with prophets.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
It is better to seek love than spiritual gifts.

The baptism of the Holy spirit is a gift given to all who accept the Gospel and can not be "sought" only freely given.
You have a lot to learn Ariel.

I have no idea how anyone can attempt to teach something that's not been experienced.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Forgot this one point. Talents and gifts are different. Both can increase. :)

to Rosemary.
I am learning something new everyday...So God is increasing my talent that He gave me, it`s not a gift but a talent :confused:...I think I am understanding, not sure what Spiritual gift I have, apart from Jesus that is...xox...As in the Holy Spirit...

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
3. Does God still give us those gifts today? All or just in part?
You have been provided with the passages and the gifts listed in those passage (although Mark 16:17,18 should also have been included). As to which gifts God gives today, we need to understand that the gifts can be grouped into three groups, and two of those groups have ceased. So we have (1) sign gifts (2) revelatory gifts and (3) gifts for edification. The signs, wonders, and miracles were for the Apostolic period (given primarily to the apostles), as were the gifts of prophecy, tongues, and supernatural knowledge (given to many Christians during the Apostolic period). But that leaves many more spiritual gifts for Christians today.

A

Ariel82

How disingenuous of you.
In another thread you accused me and my Pentecostal church
of being demonic.
And that our prayer language was of Satan and Co.
Implying that our healings, miracles and answered prayer are of the enemy.

Now you want to be the nice guy. Let's all be friendly and nice to
each other.

How should I deal with one who blasphemes the Holy Spirit and the church of God?
I do not know you or your church. If you took my statements as personal. Then that is your choice.

I made a general statrment that I have seen churches that claim to be Christian but are not.

Whether your church qualifies or not, how would I know?

I said I did see a church service claiming to speak in tongues on YouTube and could make out many pagan gods names. I called THAT manifestation of tongues demonic.

I don't know you and have not accused you of being demonic.

I have made the simple statement of fact that there are demonic spirits at work in the world and have received even some in the church to believe false doctrines,

People who are lover of money and not God or His will.

People who would rather follow the world and get wealthy than listen to the beggar in the street.

People who steal from widows and orphans in the name of God. That I declare is demonic.

If you disagree we can part ways.
.the bueaty of the internet is we don't have to talk to one another.
.it's called free will and having the choose to do what God asks you or what you want.

What does God asks you to do?

A

Ariel82

You have a lot to learn Ariel.

I have no idea how anyone can attempt to teach something that's not been experienced.
I know I have a lot to learn. However you kind of missed what I was trying to say and interpreting my words to mean what you want instead of what I actually said.