Spiritual Gifts what does it mean practically?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I am learning something new everyday...So God is increasing my talent that He gave me, it`s not a gift but a talent :confused:...I think I am understanding, not sure what Spiritual gift I have, apart from Jesus that is...xox...As in the Holy Spirit...
When Holy Spirit comes upon to do something physical? You will know it's not of you. Only happened once to me when my car died in the middle of a highway, and I pushed it off. I have no idea what that would be called either.

But, the Voice gifts, prophecy, you may hear a phrase, you know the Lord is giving a message, you start to speak, and words flow. You know it wasn't you. Tongues is similar.

Wisdom and knowledge. Someone asks you a question. Your mouth opens and you teach yourself along with the questioner.

Just a few things that have happened to me, but in no way is it all the ways the gifts work.

What i value the most is the discernment of spirits. You see or sense the spirit working in one you are with. God or not.

A

Ariel82

This is called persecution. Has nothing to do with prophets.
1 Peter 4:11New King James Version (NKJV)
11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I know I have a lot to learn. However you kind of missed what I was trying to say and interpreting my words to mean what you want instead of what I actually said.
Ok, I apologize then. What did I miss?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
1 Peter 4:11New King James Version (NKJV)
11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
What are you saying through this Ariel?

A

Ariel82

Ok, I apologize then. What did I miss?
Just I was trying to say don't seek spiritual gifts but seek first God and a personal relationship with Him. Learn to walk with Him and live holy and righteous lives.

The gifts will be give. Your job of ministry in the church will be revealed but first we have to understand God's love and allow Him to transform our hearts and minds..get rid of strongholds and lies that enslave us, learn His truth and ways and humble ourselves and be willing to be taught...before we should try and work.

We start as babes drinking the pure milk, then learn to walk...when we are mature and firm in Christ. When we are adults then God reveals our mission.

Jesus spoke at synagogue at 13 but His miracles and sermons didn't really start until 30.

People often rush to the big events and don't realise how God works in our lives during the quiet time.

I hope that makes more sense.

Sorry for typos....little screen, bad eye sight not a good combo,

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
You have a lot to learn Ariel.

I have no idea how anyone can attempt to teach something that's not been experienced.
I really do not believe we should be pointing our fingers at other people until we reach the level of perfection.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
When Holy Spirit comes upon to do something physical? You will know it's not of you. Only happened once to me when my car died in the middle of a highway, and I pushed it off. I have no idea what that would be called either.

But, the Voice gifts, prophecy, you may hear a phrase, you know the Lord is giving a message, you start to speak, and words flow. You know it wasn't you. Tongues is similar.

Wisdom and knowledge. Someone asks you a question. Your mouth opens and you teach yourself along with the questioner.

Just a few things that have happened to me, but in no way is it all the ways the gifts work.

What i value the most is the discernment of spirits. You see or sense the spirit working in one you are with. God or not.
Just I was trying to say don't seek spiritual gifts but seek first God and a personal relationship with Him. Learn to walk with Him and live holy and righteous lives.

The gifts will be give. Your job of ministry in the church will be revealed but first we have to understand God's love and allow Him to transform our hearts and minds..get rid of strongholds and lies that enslave us, learn His truth and ways and humble ourselves and be willing to be taught...before we should try and work.

We start as babes drinking the pure milk, then learn to walk...when we are mature and firm in Christ. When we are adults then God reveals our mission.

Jesus spoke at synagogue at 13 but His miracles and sermons didn't really start until 30.

People often rush to the big events and don't realise how God works in our lives during the quiet time.

I hope that makes more sense.

Sorry for typos....little screen, bad eye sight not a good combo,
I agree with you that we don't seek the gifts. I wasn't taught anything about Holy Spirit, nor did I know there was Holy Spirit until I began hearing it. Then at a conference the invitation was given to be filled with Holy Spirit. We (all 100,000 believers) would be hitting the streets of Dallas witnessing. We definitely need His power to witness.

Its always true to seek the Lord, not experiences, not gifts, but Him. And He gives what He promises to His own.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I really do not believe we should be pointing our fingers at other people until we reach the level of perfection.
Perhaps you misunderstand something too.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
My disagreement though Ariel, is that we have to learn anything before we receive Holy Spirit. That's the beginning. Not the middle nor the end of our walk.

Hes the helper.

A

Ariel82

I agree with you that we don't seek the gifts. I wasn't taught anything about Holy Spirit, nor did I know there was Holy Spirit until I began hearing it. Then at a conference the invitation was given to be filled with Holy Spirit. We (all 100,000 believers) would be hitting the streets of Dallas witnessing. We definitely need His power to witness.

Its always true to seek the Lord, not experiences, not gifts, but Him. And He gives what He promises to His own.
Sometimes we lose sight and are tempted to envy what others have. I just wanted to remind people that the mighty people in the Bible went through a lot to be shaped into God's messengers and we should expect similar trials and not lose faith in God's love or purpose.

For God chastens every child and if we do not endure His discipline/ guidance then we are not truly His children but the fruit if that discipleshiping is righteousness.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ariel82

My disagreement though Ariel, is that we have to learn anything before we receive Holy Spirit. That's the beginning. Not the middle nor the end of our walk.

Hes the helper.
I think you misunderstood me or I was unclear.

I believe when you accept Jesus,God sends the Holy spirit...you don't have to know or do anything but accept that Jesus is your savior and died for your sins...have a true desire to know God and faith that Jesus saves.

I actually believe God gives you your spiritual gifts at that time also, but you have to grow and mature before you know how to use them or even discern what He has already given you

God helps us learn how to fulfill the good works He created us for.

A

Ariel82

Forgive for they know not yet what is true.
"They" would refer to me.

I know Jesus and He is truth enough for me.

I agree forgiveness is good, but gossip and backbitting is evil.

If you think I don't know the truth, instead of talking about me please stare the truth God has given you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ariel82

I have nothing against you stone,but you say you pray for the discernment of spirits.

Come and reason with me.

What spirit would cause a person to post with the sole purpose of personal attack instead of address the honest question of what the Bible teaches? What spirit will cause a person to align with anyone who attacks someone they view as their enemy even when they have made threads attacking the other persons doctrines?

I will leave my defense in God's hands. He knows my heart.

A

Ariel82

well the gifts of the spirit has been debated in many discussions and some might say that some of them are done away with but me personally I don't like to limit God. The thing I have found about the spiritual gifts is that it's a threefold system. It begins with the offices like say a teacher or a prophet or say a healer or a teacher then you go down to the gifts which is normally set in line with each office and then you have the fruits of the spirit which we all can have but depending on the office you have been chosen for in Christ there are certain fruits you will excel in and others you may have more of a slow time in.

But we also do not discount the gifts we were given as people. Me for instance even before I was saved I was a gentle and sensitive person although i will admit I could also be quite the insensitive arrogant jerk just to be cool, I also have always been a writer at heart. Before I was even saved I was always a softie sensitive and compassionate person and was a writer at heart and I have always been a child at heart and yet have always been able to see things not just from my childish eyes but also from an adults standpoint and when I became saved God enhanced these gifts I was given in life and believe me he has used these gifts in more than abundance.

I myself do not fully understand exactly what spiritual gifts I have and don't have it sometimes seems to shift and alter depending on what a persons needs are but from what I have seen and been told I know at least I have the gift of prophecy and helps and mercy is one for sure.
I keep finding post I missed...sigh..

I belong to a Methodist church and we hold to the belief that all Christians are called to be ministers. We have lay and ordained ministers.
.it is the idea that God can move any one to preach but not all to hold the office of preacher.

Anyway I read in the book the concept of servant leadership...for those who are natural leaders Christ teaches them to become humble servants. For others like you and me, He teaches us to be leaders because we by natural like to serve and be in the background.

I am also learning about how to be assertive instead of passive or aggressive. Standing for what I believe in love, not steamrollinv others or letting them treat me like a doormat.

I believe it's God teaching Me how to walk with Him.

I love those on here who have walked beside me and encourage me to seek God always. Who have wiped away my tears and pointed me back to God and His words written in the Bible.

I have found this site has blessed me. Even when confronted with attacks. I have learned I trust more fully in God and His abilities and less in my own.

Only by His power can hearts and minds be truly changed.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I keep finding post I missed...sigh..

I belong to a Methodist church and we hold to the belief that all Christians are called to be ministers. We have lay and ordained ministers.
.it is the idea that God can move any one to preach but not all to hold the office of preacher.

Anyway I read in the book the concept of servant leadership...for those who are natural leaders Christ teaches them to become humble servants. For others like you and me, He teaches us to be leaders because we by natural like to serve and be in the background.

I am also learning about how to be assertive instead of passive or aggressive. Standing for what I believe in love, not steamrollinv others or letting them treat me like a doormat.

I believe it's God teaching Me how to walk with Him.

I love those on here who have walked beside me and encourage me to seek God always. Who have wiped away my tears and pointed me back to God and His words written in the Bible.

I have found this site has blessed me. Even when confronted with attacks. I have learned I trust more fully in God and His abilities and less in my own.

Only by His power can hearts and minds be truly changed.
You have a very good head on your shoulders and your willingness for God to mold you even in being attacked amazing. You certainly have a teachable heart and I think you and I are very much alike, everything you wrote in this post is as if I was seeing a mirror of my own heart.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
"They" would refer to me.

I know Jesus and He is truth enough for me.

I agree forgiveness is good, but gossip and backbitting is evil.

If you think I don't know the truth, instead of talking about me please stare the truth God has given you.
not necessarily Ariel. Waggles has been defending this topic way before you made this thread. I was just addressing him and his struggle. It's been the same for me since I first came here to this site.

I dont see you as one blaspheming. Just not understanding. There's a big difference. Once I thought tongues was of the devil. That was what I was taught.

Gossip as as I understand is to talk behind your back. To try to get others against you and side with the gossiper. I hate this too. And it's not what I did. And I did state the truth.

I dont know it all either. There are young believers coming up that I listen to and am amazed at what they know and walk in.

I'd love to see you the same.

P

pottersclay

Did you know that spiritual gifts and financial stewardship are related?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I have nothing against you stone,but you say you pray for the discernment of spirits.

Come and reason with me.

What spirit would cause a person to post with the sole purpose of personal attack instead of address the honest question of what the Bible teaches? What spirit will cause a person to align with anyone who attacks someone they view as their enemy even when they have made threads attacking the other persons doctrines?

I will leave my defense in God's hands. He knows my heart.
I dont pray for the gift of discernment Ariel. I said I value this gift of all gifts. And I wasn't attacking you.

Ariel, I love symbols, The Lord gives me understanding in revelation truth by looking at the Hebrew language mostly. I see pictures of Jesus in the OT this way. But, at first I was off with what I thought I saw. And got a lot of grief from others. If I hadn't received criticism, I would of gone on in my misunderstandings. So I learned to compare scripture with scripture, and to look at all the scriptures that have that one definition of the word, or the root of the word. It's a long process, but great enjoyment to me.

So criticism can have a healthy outcome.

I see many say wrong things about the baptism. And the gifts. Sometimes I speak up, others not. With you I felt it important to speak. Also Rosemary. She's growing so fast.

None of us should ever stop and think we have it all. Only Jesus has that honor.

A

Ariel82

There is a difference between constructive criticism and personal attacks.

One helps you grow and is often called exhortation in the Bible.

The other is only meant to tear you down...law without grace or forgiveness.

A

Ariel82

Did you know that spiritual gifts and financial stewardship are related?
I believe it's listed as the gift of adminstration?

I found this article helpful

https://bible.org/seriespage/6-spiritual-gifts-1-corinthians-121-11

Summary

Now let’s try to draw all that has been said together. Spiritual gifts are no mystery. They are not spiritual meat, but baby food. You can know your gift; indeed, you must know your gift to be a faithful steward. You must recognize the great variety and diversity not only between gifts, but within individuals who possess the same gift. There is diversity not only in the kinds of gifts, but also in the sphere of ministry of your gift and in the degree of success you will have with your gift. Don’t make the mistake of measuring yourself with the superstars of spiritual gifts. And don’t confuse spirituality with the greatness of your gift (or the lack of it). If you would discover your gift, simply obey the Scriptures by doing the things which you see need to be done, and devote yourself to what you and others agree you do best.

The greatest danger in my opinion of the exceptionally gifted person is that they will let their gift go to their head. The greatest danger for those whose gifts seem insignificant is to despise the abilities that God has given them, and to fail to use their gifts thinking they will never be missed (Matt. 25:24-30). The success of the body is proportional to the effective working of each and every member (Ephesians 4:16).

It is possible that you are considering spiritual gifts, when in reality you have never come to receive the gift of salvation through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ. All of God’s gifts are gifts of grace in that we do not earn them; they are given in spite of us, rather than because of us. You cannot receive spiritual gifts until you have first received the gift of salvation. You must accept the verdict of God that you are a sinner in rebellion against God and deserving of eternal punishment. You must come to the point where you recognize that nothing you can ever do will ever merit God’s eternal salvation. God’s gift of salvation is made possible through the sinless life and sacrificial death of Jesus Christ in the sinner’s place. If you trust in Him as the one who died for you, who took your punishment and exchanged your sin for His righteousness, you, too, can receive the gift of salvation. When you have done this, you will also discover that God has also given you the gift of His Spirit and the spiritual ability to contribute to the ongoing work of His body, the church.