Spiritual Gifts what does it mean practically?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pottersclay

Imo.....what I have seen in the scriptures....the church.....the saints.....all should be of the same DNA.......the blood of Christ.

Sounds gnostic untill you understand what part DNA plays. It's the information language and behavior pattern designed by God.
Scripture tells us theirs life in the blood. It's a interesting theory and concept to understand what God is saying in his word.

Some say the gifts are not for today but my argument is that if Jesus told us to go in the world and preach teach heal and deliver how are we to show the love and compassion of a God of the impossible without the signs following?
The gifts are for today but they start with the like minded heart of God.
James says "be ye doers of the word not hearers only"

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Starting with the premise that God (contrary to our culture) wants us to be totally dependent on Him; we can come to the conclusion that God desires to work through us. Spiritual gifts are the empowerment of God in our lives to accomplish His work; which we cannot do in our own strength.

A

Ariel82

Starting with the premise that God (contrary to our culture) wants us to be totally dependent on Him; we can come to the conclusion that God desires to work through us. Spiritual gifts are the empowerment of God in our lives to accomplish His work; which we cannot do in our own strength.
Amen.........

A

Ariel82

Imo.....what I have seen in the scriptures....the church.....the saints.....all should be of the same DNA.......the blood of Christ.

Sounds gnostic untill you understand what part DNA plays. It's the information language and behavior pattern designed by God.
Scripture tells us theirs life in the blood. It's a interesting theory and concept to understand what God is saying in his word.

Some say the gifts are not for today but my argument is that if Jesus told us to go in the world and preach teach heal and deliver how are we to show the love and compassion of a God of the impossible without the signs following?
The gifts are for today but they start with the like minded heart of God.
James says "be ye doers of the word not hearers only"
I know What you are saying but I like sticking with the Biblical analogy of Jesus being the head who tells the body what to do,

However if you want to extend the analogy. I will give you some science facts to ponder....

All our cells have the same DNA, yet how they are expressed can be totally different. We all have the same Holy spirit but how we give God the glory through our spiritual gifts are different.

Love you potters just in case no one reminded you today.
.you are a beloved child of God!

R

ruach

You have been provided with the passages and the gifts listed in those passage (although Mark 16:17,18 should also have been included). As to which gifts God gives today, we need to understand that the gifts can be grouped into three groups, and two of those groups have ceased. So we have (1) sign gifts (2) revelatory gifts and (3) gifts for edification. The signs, wonders, and miracles were for the Apostolic period (given primarily to the apostles), as were the gifts of prophecy, tongues, and supernatural knowledge (given to many Christians during the Apostolic period). But that leaves many more spiritual gifts for Christians today.
Did the gift of righteousness and gift of salvation also stop with the Apostles? If these did not stop, then why should we say 6 out of 9 Gifts of the Holy Spirit stopped with them? 3 out of 5 5 ministry Gifts of Eph 4:11 stopped with them, etc?

Romans 11:29-
[SUP]29 [/SUP]for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable

James 1:17 -
[SUP]17 [/SUP]Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

2 Tim 1:6-7
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Romans 11:29, James 1:17 and 2 TIm 1:6-7 refutes modern day theological denial that some gifts have stopped with the Apostles. If every good and perfect gifts comes from God they are irrevocable, immovable and not subject to change.

God did not suspend any one gift or portion the ministry of the Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, he poured out onto all believers on the day of Pentecost.

If the gifts stopped with the Apostles, then Paul was a liar. He reminded Timothy to stir up the gift within him, that was given to him through direct impartation[laying on of hands] through Paul.

All 21 Gifts are as valid and in use today as they were yesterday.

The 3 power gifts are:
Miracles
Gifts of healing
Faith

The 3 revelation gifts are:
Word of Wisdom
Word of Knowledge
Discerning of Spirits [not the gift of discernment]

The 3 vocal gifts are:
Prophecy
Interpretation
Different kinds of Tongues

5 fold ministry gifts are
Apostle
Prophet
Evangelist
Pastor
Teacher

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Did the gift of righteousness and gift of salvation also stop with the Apostles?
Why introduce a red herring into the discussion? Those are not among the lists of spiritual gifts, and for good reason.

R

ruach

Why introduce a red herring into the discussion? Those are not among the lists of spiritual gifts, and for good reason.
God is a Spirit, so gifts he gives, all of them, are spiritual in nature. Imputed Righteousness and Salvation are spiritual gifts of the highest order. They have to do with the real us, our spirit.

It is perfectly acceptable, in the debate between, cessation and continuance to point out to those who agree with complete or partial cessation that the spiritual gifts of Righteousness and salvation never stopped.

Jan 10, 2018
After reading the Old testament I don't know why any one would seek to be a prophet of God.

Do people read what God asks His prophets to do?

Would you cook your food over human dung? Would you carry a sewer pipe through town?

Would you die in a pit of lions?

Can you drink from the cup Jesus drank from and die to self and suffer for the sins of unrighteius men because you love them and are following God's will.

When God calls His prophets it's not to a life of Armani suits and jet planes. It is to wander homeless from church to church exhorting and teaching people God's message for them.

Your friend should not pray for the gift of prophecy unless he is willing to be homeless,,beaten,thrown in jail and even killed for preaching the Gospel of Jesus.

I will keep you in prayer because I believe God gifts all His children gifts to bless His church and one another. I will pray that the wolves don't lead you astray and you learn to eat meat and be able to discern good from evil after having drunk the pure milk of the Bible.

I recommend reading the whole Bible before anyone enter into ministry of leadership.

Paul studied for 3 years before his missionary work.

Jesus did not preach publically until he was 30.
Those were the prophets of the old testament. There are so many other prophets today who did not have to go through such inhumane things. Don't get me wrong, they really do suffer a lot. My spiritual father is a prophet, and I know this because he has the gift of prophesy. When he was a young Christian, he suffered a lot. He lost his parents and was homeless for a while, and a bunch of other things. But he survived. The gift of prophesy isn't a bad thing. So many people desire a closer and more personal relationship with God where they can talk to Him mouth to mouth. I personally do not want the gift of prophesy, but I don't think you should be discouraging anyone who does.

Jan 10, 2018
After reading the Old testament I don't know why any one would seek to be a prophet of God.

Do people read what God asks His prophets to do?

Would you cook your food over human dung? Would you carry a sewer pipe through town?

Would you die in a pit of lions?

Can you drink from the cup Jesus drank from and die to self and suffer for the sins of unrighteius men because you love them and are following God's will.

When God calls His prophets it's not to a life of Armani suits and jet planes. It is to wander homeless from church to church exhorting and teaching people God's message for them.

Your friend should not pray for the gift of prophecy unless he is willing to be homeless,,beaten,thrown in jail and even killed for preaching the Gospel of Jesus.

I will keep you in prayer because I believe God gifts all His children gifts to bless His church and one another. I will pray that the wolves don't lead you astray and you learn to eat meat and be able to discern good from evil after having drunk the pure milk of the Bible.

I recommend reading the whole Bible before anyone enter into ministry of leadership.

Paul studied for 3 years before his missionary work.

Jesus did not preach publically until he was 30.
And the life of a prophet isn't all rugged and hellish. Prophets usually start out poor and struggling, but eventually they become very successful and manage great wealth. God does not want anyone of his people to live I poverty. He guards his people jealously and provide for them

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
God is a Spirit, so gifts he gives, all of them, are spiritual in nature. Imputed Righteousness and Salvation are spiritual gifts of the highest order. They have to do with the real us, our spirit.

It is perfectly acceptable, in the debate between, cessation and continuance to point out to those who agree with complete or partial cessation that the spiritual gifts of Righteousness and salvation never stopped.
Anyone who has studied the nature and purpose of spiritual gifts would never bring this up, since it has no relevance whatsoever.

God imputes righteousness as a gift to the sinner who repents and believe, and eternal life (salvation) is God's gift to the sinner who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ (Rom 6:23). This establishes the THE SAINT'S STANDING WITH GOD even if he or she never exercised a single spiritual gift.

On the other hand, spiritual gifts are ENABLEMENTS to empower the saint for service and for the edification of other saints. So to bring up the issue of salvation in this discussion is simply a red herring -- something that distracts attention from the real issue.

A

Ariel82

I know some people will disagree with me and I am still trying to find the right words so I ask for patience and grace when reading this post...

The 3 power gifts are: (this are not gifts we as children of God can control of demand. We can pray and God will make it happen. No one person can claim to have the power to command angels to preform these act except Jesus Christ. Many today claim God's power as their own and seek to make God into a magic genie to bend to their will. This is a demonic lie. God does still do these gifts but Jesus tells us that the spirit moves as He wills NOT AS WE WILL.)

Miracles
Gifts of healing
Faith

The 3 revelation gifts are:
Word of Wisdom
Word of Knowledge
Discerning of Spirits [not the gift of discernment]

The 3 vocal gifts are:
Prophecy (I don't admit it but I believe God gives me this at times. Not every day but it comes in the form of showing me the person God is making someone to become in Christ. He shows me where people see a drug addict, God sees an evangelist on fire for God. Who people could become if they accepted Jesus. If they weren't enslaved by chains. Sometimes he will give me a word to speak but more often I am just an ear that listens and reminds them that God took Paul who was a murder and made him an apostle.)

Interpretation
Different kinds of Tongues

5 fold ministry gifts are
Apostle (i believe that Jesus is ruling from His throne i,Heaven and there are 24 other people ruling with Him Now. At least 14 are apostles listed in the Bible.)

Prophet (we are all called to speak as oracles of God "Jesus came to save the world", only one PROPHET is needed: Jesus.)

Evangelist (plants the seed)
Pastor (waters)
Teacher (fertilizes)

Yet God gets the glory for any growth or fruit.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the topic at this moment.

A

Ariel82

As for the gift of discernment of spirits....

If someone told you they saw an angel or demon, would you believe them or question their sanity?

A

Ariel82

What do you mean by only one prophet is needed?
I refer to Moses prophesy of God sending another PROPHET like him. It was a prophesy about Jesus. There are many in the Old testament.

The office of PROPHET and High priest belong to Jesus. Not the Aaronic priesthood or any modern day person claiming the title today.

The office of PROPHET is difference from the gift of prophesy..even pagan kings were used to utter prophesy...even the high priest who killed Jesus said prophetic words.

Jan 10, 2018

If someone told you they saw an angel or demon, would you believe them or question their sanity?
I would believe them because I have watched demons being cast out of people, and heard these demons speak. I never believed most things of the spirits till I witnessed them myself. The thing about Christianity today is that knowledge is greatly lacking.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017

Why would a Christian question their sanity when Scripture is replete with appearances of angels and manifestations of demons? The spirit world is very real, more so than the material world.

Jan 10, 2018
I refer to Moses prophesy of God sending another PROPHET like him. It was a prophesy about Jesus. There are many in the Old testament.

The office of PROPHET and High priest belong to Jesus. Not the Aaronic priesthood or any modern day person claiming the title today.
So you're saying there are no prophets in our world today?

A

Ariel82

Well the things I have seen in this world make me question alot,

It is good that we have a patient and loving Heavenly father because most of the pastors I ask my questions to don't have time to talk.

But I learned it's better to pray and ask God our questions and read the Bible and learn for ourselves His truths.

A

Ariel82

I may bore you but I will try and explain.

Moses was a prophet in the Old testament but he was not the first Abel was.