St. John of the Cross: SONG OF THE SOUL THAT REJOICES IN KNOWING GOD THROUGH FAITH

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

dpecheur10

Member
Apr 22, 2018
99
50
18
Cantar del alma que se huelga de conocer a Dios por fe
(Song of the soul that rejoices in knowing God by faith)
by St. John of the Cross

For I know well the spring that flows andruns,​

although it is night.​

That eternal spring is hidden,​

for I know well where it has its rise,​

although it is night.​

I do not know its origin, nor has it one,​

but I know that every origin has come from it,​

although it is night.​

I know that nothing else is so beautiful,​

and that the heavens and the earth drinkthere,​

although it is night.​

I know well that it is bottomless​

and no one is able to cross it,​

although it is night.​

Its clarity is never darkened,​

and I know that every light has come from it,​

although it is night.​

I know that its streams are so brimming​

they water the lands of hell, the heavens, andearth,​

although it is night.​

I know well the stream that flows from thisspring​

is mighty in compass and power,​

although it is night.​

I know the stream proceeding from these two,​

that neither of them in fact precedes it,​

although it is night.​

This eternal spring is hidden​

in this living bread for our life's sake,​

although it is night.​

It is here calling out to creatures;​

and they satisfy their thirst, although indarkness,​

because it is night.​

This living spring that I long for,​

I see in this bread of life,​

although it is night.​


​

Je suis une source qui jaillit et s'écoule
Mais c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Cette source éternelle, elle reste cachée
mais je n'ignore pas d'où elle prend naissance
et c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Je sais, à vrai dire, qu'elle est sans origine.
Tout en elle, pourtant, va plonger sa racine
Mais c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Jamais il ne sera de beauté qui l'égale,
Le ciel, l'univers vont s'y désaltérer
Mais c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Elle est, je le sais bien, tout à fait insondable
Et je le sais aussi, elle n'est pas guéable
Pas même au profond de la nuit
​

Jamais son bel éclat ne pourra s'obscurcir
Toute lumière aussi, d'elle seule, jaillit
Mais c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Je sais bien que ses flots, sans cesse débordants
Arrosent l'abime, la terre et tous les peuples
Mais c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Cette source d'eau vive, objet de mes désirs
Et ce vin, pain de vie, je la vois, la contemple
Mais c'est au profond de la nuit
​

Saint Jean dela Croix​

​
Aquella eterna fonte está escondida,
que bien sé yo do tiene su manida,
aunque es de noche.

Su origen no lo sé, pues no le tiene,
mas sé que todo origen de ella tiene,
aunque es de noche.

Sé que no puede ser cosa tan bella,
y que cielos y tierra beben de ella,
aunque es de noche.

Bien sé que suelo en ella no se halla,
y que ninguno puede vadealla,
aunque es de noche.

Su claridad nunca es oscurecida,
y sé que toda luz de ella es venida,
aunque es de noche.

Sé ser tan caudalosos sus corrientes.
que infiernos, cielos riegan y las gentes,
aunque es de noche.

El corriente que nace de esta fuente
bien sé que es tan capaz y omnipotente,
aunque es de noche.

El corriente que de estas dos procede
sé que ninguna de ellas le precede,
aunque es de noche.

Aquesta eterna fonte está escondida
en este vivo pan por darnos vida,
aunque es de noche.

Aquí se está llamando a las criaturas,
y de esta agua se hartan, aunque a oscuras
porque es de noche.

Aquesta viva fuente que deseo,
en este pan de vida yo la veo,
aunque es de noche.

​
 
loverofjesus27;bt24398 said:
Do you have a video for this??
No I got the text of the poem and ths translations from a few different websites. There very well may be a video that includes this, as this poem by St. John of the Cross is pretty famous.
 
Nice. I love it. Though it be night. Full of wisdom and knowledge.