Strange question: Family curse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Superglue

Sep 2, 2019
I have 4 siblings (step/half & whole) ages 33-45. Out of the 5 of us Only ONE of us has kids. This is out of the ordinary. Could there be a family curse or is it just all because of the different reasons our lives turned out the way they did. Oldest (whole brother) from same household wanted marriage & kids, never happened. Half sis NEVER wanted kids her entire life. Us three were left in extreme poverty when our parents divorced forcing us to financially support ourselves & eachother when sometimes one of us had no job at 18/19 yrs old. All while supporting our mother 100% financially for years. My bro went in debt just charging food or a motel when we were desperate This made early adulthood hard to get on our feet. Took my bro 7yrs to graduated college with B.A. He still can’t financially support a family of his own. My other brother who I didn’t grow up with me lives with his longtime girlfriend: no marriage/no kids but are very financially stable. I assume it’s by choice since I have not heard otherwise. My step sis married & does not want kids ever. My lil step sis is the only one who married & had 2 kids. My husband & I wanted kids but can’t afford them since he can’t work due to a work injury that we hoped would eventually heal but instead turned in to a live long disability. People tell us have them anyways. Why? If we did they 100% would live below poverty level. I refuse to bring them in to life like that, even though it sucks not have any. I heard a rumor that my mom did witchcraft. Don’t know if that could be true. How strange does all of this sound?

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Its really not too unusual, more people are choosing not to have families these days, and the ones who do are waiting longer and are having fewer kids. I think the biggest reason is affordability, but some just don't want to bring kids into this crazy world.. But as someone once told me; "If you wait until you can afford to have kids, you'll never have them".

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I've never been a believe in the generational curse idea.

One never wanted kids.
You can't really count the one that never wanted kids as being evidence of some kind of 'curse'. They got what they wanted.

So that reduces it to 3 siblings.
One had kids.

At this point 50% of your siblings got what they wanted.

And since when is having kids a legit way to determine a curse?
Actually poverty can often be a learned behavior, nothing spiritual behind that. How a parent acts and talks affects their kids. My dad has some bad habits, and surprise, i have some of those same habits. Not because of a curse, but because i watched him and learned from him, both good and bad.
You learned to be poor at a young age. You never grew out of that mindset. And you got stuck with some unfortunate circumstances that affected your choices. Rather simple really.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think not having children is not related to a curse. I think that if you all had children and they all died really young or tragically then it might be reason to think there is a curse.

Dont over analyse it. Many people in this generation are not having children why because it is unaffordable unless grandparents step in and help. This is related to the economy in many ways. The parents of baby boomers had many children why because most of the population had died in the war! And the govt made it easier for them to raise families subsidsing the costs of housing and education. Today that is. NOT the case.

Superglue

Sep 2, 2019
Thanks guys for your insight. I meant to say my step mom was the one rumored to do witchcraft. My mom was the one who heard about this rumor. Also my mom totally believes in generational curses. I never really did. She would harp on about the witchcraft so it made me wonder.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks guys for your insight. I meant to say my step mom was the one rumored to do witchcraft. My mom was the one who heard about this rumor. Also my mom totally believes in generational curses. I never really did. She would harp on about the witchcraft so it made me wonder.
While I agree with the other contributors that the childlessness probably is not due to a curse, it is worthwhile taking your concern about your mother's witchcraft to the Lord. Ask Him if there is anything that needs to be broken off you. I'd suggest you put your armour on first though (Ephesians 6). The enemy will try a variety of tactics to keep you from closing his legal points of entry.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I have 4 siblings (step/half & whole) ages 33-45. Out of the 5 of us Only ONE of us has kids. This is out of the ordinary. Could there be a family curse or is it just all because of the different reasons our lives turned out the way they did. Oldest (whole brother) from same household wanted marriage & kids, never happened. Half sis NEVER wanted kids her entire life. Us three were left in extreme poverty when our parents divorced forcing us to financially support ourselves & eachother when sometimes one of us had no job at 18/19 yrs old. All while supporting our mother 100% financially for years. My bro went in debt just charging food or a motel when we were desperate This made early adulthood hard to get on our feet. Took my bro 7yrs to graduated college with B.A. He still can’t financially support a family of his own. My other brother who I didn’t grow up with me lives with his longtime girlfriend: no marriage/no kids but are very financially stable. I assume it’s by choice since I have not heard otherwise. My step sis married & does not want kids ever. My lil step sis is the only one who married & had 2 kids. My husband & I wanted kids but can’t afford them since he can’t work due to a work injury that we hoped would eventually heal but instead turned in to a live long disability. People tell us have them anyways. Why? If we did they 100% would live below poverty level. I refuse to bring them in to life like that, even though it sucks not have any. I heard a rumor that my mom did witchcraft. Don’t know if that could be true. How strange does all of this sound?
A rumor is just a rumor useless. You sound like you having a normal life.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I was reading about Roald Dahls life yesterday (apparently it is Roald Dahl day every september 13)

Anyway if you are familiar with his childrens books, he wrote one called the Witches. This was before Harry Potter etc.

His grandmother, who was norwegian, used to tell him stories about witches and trolls. They are a big thing in Norwegian folk tales.

Roald Dahls life was mrked by tragedy, his daughter died when she was seven from measles, his son was hit by a taxi and suffered brain damage, his dad fell off a roof and lost his arm, then died when Roald was young, his first wife suffered a stroke and all these tragic things happened in November including Dahls own death.

Kinda weird but you might surmise a witch had put a curse on the Dahl family....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The other famous family that people think is cursed is the Kennedys. Tragic things always seemed to happen to them.

Aug 28, 2019
I think all is well . Your brothers and sisters are choosing not to have children . My husbend and I had decied we would not have any children until we were married for five years so are finices would be better . Will I ended up pragent in a year after we were married . It was scarey because of the lack of money but it all worked out with help from my parents and his parents . It all worked thinges were still tight but over time my husband got better paying jobs . I am so happy we had our son .

Some people do not have childern because of health issues or money
or not wanting to bring childern into this world and some just plan don't want childern or they feel they are to old . I really don't think there is a curse .

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Brian Borgman did an excellent sermon on this topic of family sins. It might help you in this regard.

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=6619177534727

The concept of generational sins is one that charismatics have extrapolated through their incorrect interpretation of verses that Brian covers.

In my opinion, teachings like this create pseudo-Christian witch doctors who then hang out their shingle as a deliverance ministry. These individuals prey on an ill-informed or mentally ill clientele.

Additionally, teachings like this encourage people to avoid facing their own individual sinfulness.

These factors may not be involved in your situation, but I believe the sermon can encourage you that it is unlikely the issues are any type of curse from God.

T

TheIndianGirl

I think there is an explanation and it's not a curse. Childhood affects adult life. If children experience poverty, divorce, etc. they subconsciously may not want to marry or have kids or are a bit closed off to potential partners without realizing it. There may also be underlying medical conditions which cause barrenness which may be fixed with fertility treatment. I would not worry too much, God provides and will use our singleness, barrenness, married life, etc. in some way.

FaithMan

Mar 26, 2014
If you think the Bible teaches it then lets have a debate online. Are you up for it?

FaithMan

Mar 26, 2014
it's not a myth

there is another book that explains all about it

it's called THE BIBLE
If you think the Bible teaches it then lets have a debate online. Are you up for it?

I'll start it off. Can you show me anywhere in the Old or New Testament an example of curse delieverance?

Waiting

7seasrekeyed

new to forums are you?

or perhaps just this one in particular?

FaithMan

Mar 26, 2014
knew to forums are you?

or perhaps just this one in particular?
I noticed you have already sidestepped the challenge to the debate. I'll ask it again:

Can you show me anywhere in the Old or New Testament an example of curse delieverance?

You first response was an avoidance of the debate. What's the problem? Already know you can't back up your claims?