Studying The Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
Yonks ago, I sat down and tried to read the entire KJV as a book. Having had almost no religious training, it was so precious to me. The second time around, I had decided that Jesus the Christ was what most American culture said he was. Oddly, I almost disliked the NT after the book of Acts, just an opinion or preference. Over the years, many of them, God has gifted me with enough recall, and Google to easily find most scripture. Mostly I need to practice more mercy.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Yonks ago, I sat down and tried to read the entire KJV as a book. Having had almost no religious training, it was so precious to me. The second time around, I had decided that Jesus the Christ was what most American culture said he was. Oddly, I almost disliked the NT after the book of Acts, just an opinion or preference. Over the years, many of them, God has gifted me with enough recall, and Google to easily find most scripture. Mostly I need to practice more mercy.
Hows manzy yonks wuds dat's beez, dearie? :giggle:

I never could read the Bible from cover to cover. I wanted to go straight to the juicy parts first. John, Ephesians, and the latter part of Revelation are my favorites, I think.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Just keep your hand upon the throttle and your eye upon the rail. Assurance will come. That is a promise. Jesus loves you very much.

Revelation 3:20

“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”

-

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX

I never could read the Bible from cover to cover. I wanted to go straight to the juicy parts first. John, Ephesians, and the latter part of Revelation are my favorites, I think.
The first time I read the KJV Bible cover to cover, as I said, I had no religious training. It was just this book that sat on the shelf and I had no idea where it came from. Parts of it were too much of a trudge, Leviticus for example. The reading did get me interested, so later I was very interested in knowing God and Jesus. Over the years, I found denominationalism to be very discouraging, some insisting that Jesus is God and others saying that he is the Son of God. It was too much to deal with.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX

Are you making fun of me? I "was saved" in April of 1974. The Christian walk is not easy and I have had my ups and downs.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My experience in first reading the Bible came when the Holy Spirit entered into me, everything turned to light and all seemed somehow different, new.

It was the evening of that same wonderful experience when I was in a coffee house. I was "moved" to go into a room that was not part of the pubic area. There, opened face down on a table was a book. It was light blue, and otherwise non-descript.

I picked it up and began to read, finding myself saying to myself, "Wow, that is right, that is true." I read for a while continuing with this way of understanding. Then I looked to the top of the pages and there was the heading, Isaiah..

I closed the book and looked at the title. "The Oxford Study Bible." The following day I went to the student store and purchased one for myself.

I read all of Isaiah followed by Revelation, and for the very first time in my life I could read the Bible.

After reading Revelation I decide it was only correct for me to read fro Genesis.

I bought a Puch motocycle and went to the Rockies to camp out for the summer. I read the Bible cover-to-cover for the first time. Since then I have read it the same many times, and I am so glaad I did because now I cannot see enought to read anything. Praise God, He has given me a kind of different vision,b better vision I believe.

Our Father is caring and meticulous in His personal care for each of us.

PS. I have read sever versions of the Word in a few languages, and my favorite to always read biled down to the KJV.

I know if the Holy Spirit leads an individual, all truth may be found in a Betty Crocker Cookbook. God bless you and all, and please, rad the Bible that suits your understanding and spirit well in the Holy Spirit of course.

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
Over the years, I found denominationalism to be very discouraging, some insisting that Jesus is God and others saying that he is the Son of God. It was too much to deal with.
Actually, both statements are true and have nothing to do with denominations or denominational differences. It's simply different ways of wording the same concept.

Jesus of Nazareth is the awaited Messiah: He is both God the Son, and the Son of God. He is part of the Triune God.

No Christian denomination teaches anything else about Him. There are heretical teachings most certainly, but those teachings don't come from those who believe the Bible is the Word of God, they come from cults and false teachers and false prophets.

The one thing every Christian denomination agrees upon is the nature of Christ.

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
I find the "minor prophets" the most difficult to read.
Where I struggle with memory is the "addresses" if you will. I always have to look up chapter and verse. Google has been a crutch for me because, I can just type in the words and book, chapter, and verse pop right up.

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
Parts of it were too much of a trudge, Leviticus for example.
Hi, Katia.

Leviticus becomes a lot less "of a trudge" when we see the many different foreshadowings of Christ within it.

For example, the high priest's role back then points directly to Christ's role now as our High Priest or the one mediator between God and man.

Similarly, all of the different sacrifices for different types of offenses point to Christ's sacrifice on our behalves for the different types of offenses we have committed against God.

Peter said:

I Peter chapter 1

[17] And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
[18] Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
[19] But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
[20] Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
[21] Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Jesus truly is "a lamb without blemish and without spot who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world", and this is what all of the Old Testament sacrifices point us to.

With this in mind, it's no wonder that John the Baptist said the following about Jesus:

"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29)

In other words, all of the Old Testament sacrifices, like the ones we read about in the book of Leviticus, foreshadowed or pointed to Jesus Christ, the true "Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world".

Furthermore, the Bible comes to us in the form of two "testaments"...the Old Testament and the New Testament.

While contrasting some major differences between the Old Testament and the New Testament, this is what the Bible has to say about a "testament" itself:

Hebrews chapter 9

[13] For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctified to the purifying of the flesh:
[14] How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
[15] And for this cause, he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
[16] For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
[17] For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise, it is of no strength at all while the testator lives.
[18] Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
[19] For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
[20] Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God has enjoined unto you.
[21] Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
[22] And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
[23] It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
[24] For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
[25] Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest enters into the holy place every year with blood of others;
[26] For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world has he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
[27] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
[28] So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Under the Old Testament, a system of bloody animal sacrifices, like the ones we read about in the book of Leviticus, was instituted by God as a means of atoning for one’s sins.

Why the need for bloody sacrifices?

Well, as the writer of this epistle rightly noted, “where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator, for a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise, it is of no strength at all while the testator lives” (vss. 16-17).

In other words, if you or I write a “last will and testament”, then it doesn’t go into effect until the time comes that we die, and there are no beneficiaries of our testaments until that time comes.

And so it is with both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Under the Old Testament, God gave us his commandments which rightfully condemn each and every one of us because we have all violated them a vast multitude of times over the courses of our lifetimes.

For example, who among us can honestly say that we’ve never borne false witness or lied?

Who among us can honestly say that we’ve never stolen anything…irrespective of its value?

Who among us can honestly say that we’ve never looked upon another person lustfully, which Jesus Christ equated with committing adultery in one’s heart (Matt. 5:27-29)?

Worse still, who among us can honestly say that we’ve always loved God with our whole heart, soul, and mind while also loving our neighbors as ourselves?

It is upon these TWO COMMANDMENTS that Jesus Christ said all the commandments written in the law of Moses and the prophets hang (Matt. 22:35-40).

With such being the case, the list of indictments against us is innumerable, as our sins against God and our neighbors are stacked up to the highest heaven.

That’s the bad news.

The good news or "the gospel" is that, even under the Old Testament, God implemented a system in which an innocent animal was sacrificed for the sins of guilty men, women, and children, and the death of that innocent animal is what made that testament of force, or put it into effect, or made individuals beneficiaries of the promises which were given under that testament. Again, a testament is of no value whatsoever until a death occurs.

However, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, those sacrifices could never truly purge the consciences of those who had broken God’s law, and there was therefore always a remembrance of one’s sins as future sacrifices needed to be made, even as the writer of this same epistle went on to explain:

Hebrews chapter 10

[1] For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins?
[3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
[4] For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
[5] Wherefore when he came into the world, he said, Sacrifice and offering you would not, but a body have you prepared me:
[6] In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin you have had no pleasure.
[7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do your will, O God.
[8] Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin you would not, neither had pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
[9] Then said he, Lo, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.

As we just read, the law was only “a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things” (vs. 1).

Again, all of the animal sacrifices under the Old Testament foreshadowed the ultimate sacrifice which was yet to come:

The sacrifice of Jesus Christ, “the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29).

THIS is the only sacrifice which can truly “purge your conscience from dead works” in order that you might be able “to serve the living God” (Heb. 9:14) without a guilty conscience because Christ has sacrificially borne your guilt and shame, and THIS is what we constantly see foreshadowed in the book of Leviticus.

After his resurrection from the dead, Jesus appeared unto his disciples and said:

Luke chapter 24

[44] And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
[45] Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

There are many things "which were written in the law of Moses (the first 5 books of the Bible, including the book of Leviticus), and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me (Jesus)." Jesus opened the understanding of his disciples back then that they might truly and properly understand the scriptures, and he'll do the same for you today if you but ask him to.

Anyhow, I hope that what I've written somehow helps you to better understand the Bible when you read it.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Are you making fun of me? I "was saved" in April of 1974. The Christian walk is not easy and I have had my ups and downs.
No. I did not realize you were sensitive that way. I will try to be more careful. I'm sorry. :(

I had never heard the word "yonks" before. I thought you were trying to sound funny.

What does "yonks" actually mean?

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
:eek:Amazing! I had never heard it until now. I thought she was just making up a funny sounding word. :)

One can learn all sorts of things on CC.
To be totally honest with you, I had never heard that word before today myself, and I was initially thinking that it was some sort of typo.

Thank God for "Google"...lol.

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
To be totally honest with you, I had never heard that word before today myself, and I was initially thinking that it was some sort of typo.

Thank God for "Google"...lol.
It seems to be in British usage, first seen in print in 2003, and of unknown origin.

So, it's a new word. Funny how language can change...

oyster67

May 24, 2014
The Christian walk is not easy and I have had my ups and downs.
I hope the Lord can use all of us to make it a little easier for each other. I will pray for you.

God bless you.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
No. I did not realize you were sensitive that way. I will try to be more careful. I'm sorry. :(

I had never heard the word "yonks" before. I thought you were trying to sound funny.

What does "yonks" actually mean?
I was joking. Yonks is a UK term that I have read them to use. It simply means a long time.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I hope the Lord can use all of us to make it a little easier for each other. I will pray for you.

God bless you.
Thank you. Perhaps I cause my own pain because I try to understand Jews and Muslims also.

R

RichMan

Thank you. Perhaps I cause my own pain because I try to understand Jews and Muslims also.
You should understand that Jews and Muslims deny that Jesus is the promised Messiah that died for our sins. Pray for their salvation, but do not listen to or encourage their false teaching