Submit and Obey

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 17, 2023
Hebrews 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves:
for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account,
that they may do it with joy, and not with grief:
for that is unprofitable for you.

What do you have to say to this,
that is written in the book of Hebrews
concerning you? If I had rule over you
would you obey me and submit yourselves to it?
Or would you rebel and not live by this written in the book of Hebrews
as you are commanded by it?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

What do you have to say to this,
that is written in the book of Hebrews
concerning you? If I had rule over you
would you obey me and submit yourselves to it?
Or would you rebel and not live by this written in the book of Hebrews
as you are commanded by it?
This passage came to me as referring to the priests and bave all the current high priest in Israel, according to the law.

A good example of this being the case is when Paul was taken before the High Priest of his time, and Paul talked back to him at the beginnning of the interogation. Upon being made aware he was talking to the High priest he i mmediately begged pardon stating he was unawares the he was the High Priest. I may only presume thatat until this Paul had been under the impression he was speaking to some official of the government, either of Rome or of Israel..

I know this well. There is no politician who is concerned with my soul or the souls of others, except, perhaps, Jimmy Carter, may God give him great reward, amen.

Mar 17, 2023
This passage came to me as referring to the priests and bave all the current high priest in Israel, according to the law.

A good example of this being the case is when Paul was taken before the High Priest of his time, and Paul talked back to him at the beginnning of the interogation. Upon being made aware he was talking to the High priest he i mmediately begged pardon stating he was unawares the he was the High Priest. I may only presume thatat until this Paul had been under the impression he was speaking to some official of the government, either of Rome or of Israel..

I know this well. There is no politician who is concerned with my soul or the souls of others, except, perhaps, Jimmy Carter, may God give him great reward, amen.
Do you have a pastor that rules over you and is accountable for you to the Lord? Yes or no?
If you do not answer with a yes I will assume it is a NO.

If not then why not?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yes, He always has and always will.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Yes, obey and submit as far as spiritual things go; but overseers don't have the right to rule everything in our lives. Like who to marry; what college to attend (or whether we can even go to college); or where to work; what kind of car to buy; etc. There are cults out there who do this.

Rather, overseers are to be spiritual leaders and teachers. They set the example of how people should conduct themselves as disciples of Christ.

"But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant." Matthew 20:25-26

"The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock;" 1 Peter 5:1-3

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023

I agree but not with the Carter bit. lol More of a Reagan fan.

Mar 17, 2023
Yes, obey and submit as far as spiritual things go; but overseers don't have the right to rule everything in our lives. Like who to marry; what college to attend (or whether we can even go to college); or where to work; what kind of car to buy; etc. There are cults out there who do this.

Rather, overseers are to be spiritual leaders and teachers. They set the example of how people should conduct themselves as disciples of Christ.
So you have certain restrictions you would place upon anyone
that God would set over you to rule over you and be accountable to Him for your soul and well being,
that would determine if you would obey and submit to them? Is this correct? Yes or no?

Mar 17, 2023
I agree but not with the Carter bit. lol More of a Reagan fan.
Do you have a pastor that rules over you and is accountable for you to the Lord? Yes or no?

If not then why not?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
So you have certain restrictions you would place upon anyone
that God would set over you to rule over you and be accountable to Him for your soul and well being,
that would determine if you would obey and submit to them? Is this correct? Yes or no?
All I can say is tell me what group you belong to so I can avoid it like the plague.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023

If not then why not?
You're asking if I attend a church with a pastor? Yes, I do.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
To what degree is he responsible to God for your soul? What do you believe?
Well, I don't see a pastor like a priest. I know God holds me accountable for how I live my life. My pastor doesn't know how I live my life outside of church, so I don't know how accountable he can be held for my soul. But he is accountable for what he preaches and that it is the truth of the word and that he is not leading people astray.

Mar 17, 2023
Right. I'll take it under advisement.
Put it to the test. Avoid committing any sin for just one day(as much as possible for you) and
see what takes place in your life at the end of that day. Please report back and let me know how it turned out for you.

Mar 17, 2023
Well, I don't see a pastor like a priest. I know God holds me accountable for how I live my life. My pastor doesn't know how I live my life outside of church, so I don't know how accountable he can be held for my soul. But he is accountable for what he preaches and that it is the truth of the word and that he is not leading people astray.
I don't think this quite lives up to the standard set for both you and him in the scripture
in Hebrews concerning you and him in your place to God.
No, I am certain of it. I know there is a whole lot more
that the 2 of you would be involved with each other's lives
if you and him lived by it.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Put it to the test. Avoid committing any sin for just one day(as much as possible for you) and
see what takes place in your life at the end of that day. Please report back and let me know how it turned out for you.
Rather, I'll avoid you. Bye.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I'm interested in what religious affiliation you have and what office you hold, if any.

Mar 17, 2023
All I can say is tell me what group you belong to so I can avoid it like the plague.
I belong with them that not only believe this:

But adheres to it, word for word as it is written.