Suggestions: Posts over a year old, and over 150 posts should be closed.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
also, you can jump into a thread anytime and just go to the latest page, or just read the first post and answer saying OP I think this or replying to the OP without reading the hundreds of pages that come after...thats what I do. Nobodys expecting you to read a 150 post conversation and reply to each and every post lol.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Just make sure to check the creation date of the thread. You don't want to pull forward a several years old thread, because chances are the OP and other posters may have been banned or left the site.

Joy4N8cher

Jul 8, 2020
There is that too! Some threads are not meant to end or be closed due to some random criteria, as long as they are active, being posted in on a regular basis by any number of members. Looking at the Introduction's Forum, the posts go back more than ten years. BDF has almost 2,000 threads that go back that far also. So does the Family Forum. News and Music go back to 2012. Anyone can activate those old threads at any time (though generally it is discouraged), and that is the way the system is set up. I myself have a couple of threads that I would not want closed simply because they are more than a year old and have more than 150 posts. I created them specifically to be ongoing. One of them is my Scripture Art thread, which I have been adding to fairly regularly since its creation in November of 2018 :)
Hi Magenta,
I was wondering why it is discouraged to activate an old thread. I honestly just want to know the thought behind it as I have gone through many old threads and have thought... this is such a great one. I don't want to bring something back to life, now that I know this, if that is just not such a great idea, but I'm not sure why. Thanks for input on this.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Hi Magenta,
I was wondering why it is discouraged to activate an old thread. I honestly just want to know the thought behind it as I have gone through many old threads and have thought... this is such a great one. I don't want to bring something back to life, now that I know this, if that is just not such a great idea, but I'm not sure why. Thanks for input on this.
Because it's old? And often times it can contain users who are no longer active or no longer members.
Really the lack of original thread topics is a large problem on the site. Bring up on old thread, bad. Create a new one on the same topic, bad.
It seems to me that people are somewhat bored with the repeat topics here, so rehashing them doesn't sit well with many.
Also, especially in threads that are multiple pages long there isn't usually anything new to add. It's often less about people bringing anything fresh to a topic and more of people wanting to state their view, that was already stated 10 times by 10 other people. This makes old topics dull, as well. And another reason people may frown on them.

Joy4N8cher

Jul 8, 2020
Because it's old? And often times it can contain users who are no longer active or no longer members.
Really the lack of original thread topics is a large problem on the site. Bring up on old thread, bad. Create a new one on the same topic, bad.
It seems to me that people are somewhat bored with the repeat topics here, so rehashing them doesn't sit well with many.
Also, especially in threads that are multiple pages long there isn't usually anything new to add. It's often less about people bringing anything fresh to a topic and more of people wanting to state their view, that was already stated 10 times by 10 other people. This makes old topics dull, as well. And another reason people may frown on them.
Thanks, this helps a lot! I guess as a new member it is best to read through old threads for quite a while at first. A real blessing too, like digging for gold. Otherwise it's impossible to know what has already been hashed out to death. Well, except for worship and prayer threads, which will never be dull. What do you like the most about this site, if you're ok answering that?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hi Magenta,
I don't have a problem whatsoever about opening old threads. Like @Magenta, I have several threads that are a few years old or more but are still actively being posted on.

Sometimes a new member will start a thread on a certain topic only to be criticized by a certain member for not checking out the existing threads on a topic. Either way, some peeps just like to complain. Personally, I would not pay them any mind.

I really don't care how old a thread is, or whether the member is still active or banned. Depending on the topic a lot of threads are still relevant, especially for new members who are trying to find out who the players are from their post histories regarding who they are and what they are about.

Feel free to open any thread that you want or create your own on any topic you chose in any forum that you want.

G

Godsgirl83

I am bored tonight and scrolling through older threads.......
I see @tourist was the last person to post here LAST July (wow man, if this was the last to post/winner thread then you'd REALLY be the winner :LOL: ) , which means this thread has been inactive for an entire year..........
:unsure: so why is it still here? :unsure:......
oh wait, this is ONLY post number 27.
still have 123 to go before the 150 mark makes us close.
Wait, is that request for a year old AND 150?
Or is it an either/or thought?
Oh well.
I know posting here just to be facetious is going to ruffle the feathers of some and others will lol while still others will just be like "eh, whatever".......

oh well. Nothing says that you HAVE to click it open and read......

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I see @tourist was the last person to post here LAST July (wow man, if this was the last to post/winner thread then you'd REALLY be the winner :LOL: ) , which means this thread has been inactive for an entire year..........
Oh well.
I know posting here just to be facetious is going to ruffle the feathers of some and others will lol while still others will just be like "eh, whatever".......

My understanding is that this thread remains open until it reaches post #150. At the current rate it will take 5 more years until it is official thread. Maybe @Ruby123 could posts some coffee and donut posts to expedite the process. I'm not sure about a pancake coffee post though so that would be at her discretion.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
My understanding is that this thread remains open until it reaches post #150. At the current rate it will take 5 more years until it is official thread. Maybe @Ruby123 could posts some coffee and donut posts to expedite the process. I'm not sure about a pancake coffee post though so that would be at her discretion.
lol I only have enough coffee and donuts for one thread.

G

Godsgirl83

no worries......
I'm in your coffee/donut thread so I'll just get them there.........
(unless Gandy someone beats me to them :p )

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Oh well.

WOW - you are bored... :giggle::D

;)
:)

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Smart one, she is!

:geek:

She knows that - just as soon as she posts coffee and donuts in a 'second' thread, soon enough she will get requests to post them in every thread!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.