Summer is Nigh

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 23, 2013
Amo 8:1 Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit.
Amo 8:2 And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.

According to Amos God will gather his fruits from Israel and then do away with Israel permanently.

When Jesus said summer is nigh was he pointing us to the summer fruits of Amos? If not what did Jesus mean by summer is nigh.

Mat 24:32 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Amo 8:1 Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit.
Amo 8:2 And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.

According to Amos God will gather his fruits from Israel and then do away with Israel permanently.

When Jesus said summer is nigh was he pointing us to the summer fruits of Amos? If not what did Jesus mean by summer is nigh.

Mat 24:32 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Waits for responses. I went and did a search because honestly I was intrigued as well.

I came across this and thought you might enjoy the read as well...

The Spurgeon Center | A Basket of Summer Fruit
https://www.spurgeon.org/resource-library/sermons/a-basket-of-summer-fruit#flipbook/

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I agree, but do you think “summer is nigh” is pointing to Hosea 8?
Yes their summer was certainly nigh, the tribes are no more, Jews cannot claim to be of one tribe or another since the destruction of the temple in 70AD.

I'd tell you about the fig tree but then you would just want more. :)

Nov 23, 2013
Yes their summer was certainly nigh, the tribes are no more, Jews cannot claim to be of one tribe or another since the destruction of the temple in 70AD.
Dispensationalist think the fig tree branches being young and tender points to the creation of the state of Israel in 1948, but Hosea clearly states that God is done with Israel forever.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I already showed you from Amos that God DOES NOT *do away* with Israel. Amos is about the destruction of the northern kingdom of Israel under Jeroboam.

Try not to misrepresent God and Scripture in the future after you have been shown the truth. That is actually a sin against God.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Jewish believers are represented as the cultivated olive in Revelation and the Gentiies are the wild olive. I don't quite get that analogy and if anyone does, give me your view to think about.

Nov 23, 2013
I already showed you from Amos that God DOES NOT *do away* with Israel. Amos is about the destruction of the northern kingdom of Israel under Jeroboam.

Try not to misrepresent God and Scripture in the future after you have been shown the truth. That is actually a sin against God.
How can you say that when Hosea 9 specifically says that it happened when THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID was rebuilt.

Are you saying the tabernacle was rebuilt when the 10 tribes were lost?

Dec 12, 2013

Amen...........gotta love those who peddle some sort of replacement dogma! NOT REALLY!

Nov 23, 2013
Amen...........gotta love those who peddle some sort of replacement dogma! NOT REALLY!
I don’t peddle replacement anything.

It would be nice to see you address the verses.

Nov 23, 2013
@ dcon

Amo 8:2 (KJV) And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.

What does this verse mean dcon?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018

Sir.....have you failed to continue on to Amos 9....?????
Clearly the judgment is limited and restoration is coming.....in the millenial Kingdom.

8Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom,
and I will destroy it from the surface of the ground,
except that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,”
declares the LORD.
9“For behold, I will command,
and shake the house of Israel among all the nations
as one shakes with a sieve,
but no pebble shall fall to the earth.
10All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword,
who say, ‘Disaster shall not overtake or meet us.’

The Restoration of Israel

11“In that day I will raise up
the booth of David that is fallen
and repair its breaches,
and raise up its ruins
and rebuild it as in the days of old,
12that they may possess the remnant of Edom
and all the nations who are called by my name,”c
declares the LORD who does this.
13“Behold, the days are coming,” declares the LORD,
“when the plowman shall overtake the reaper
and the treader of grapes him who sows the seed;
the mountains shall drip sweet wine,
and all the hills shall flow with it.
14I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel,
and they shall rebuild the ruined cities and inhabit them;

Nov 23, 2013
Sir.....have you failed to continue on to Amos 9....?????
Clearly the judgment is limited and restoration is coming.....in the millenial Kingdom.

8Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom,
and I will destroy it from the surface of the ground,
except that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,”
declares the LORD.
9“For behold, I will command,
and shake the house of Israel among all the nations
as one shakes with a sieve,
but no pebble shall fall to the earth.
10All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword,
who say, ‘Disaster shall not overtake or meet us.’

The Restoration of Israel

11“In that day I will raise up
the booth of David that is fallen
and repair its breaches,
and raise up its ruins
and rebuild it as in the days of old,
12that they may possess the remnant of Edom
and all the nations who are called by my name,”c
declares the LORD who does this.
13“Behold, the days are coming,” declares the LORD,
“when the plowman shall overtake the reaper
and the treader of grapes him who sows the seed;
the mountains shall drip sweet wine,
and all the hills shall flow with it.
14I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel,
and they shall rebuild the ruined cities and inhabit them;
Did you read verse 11 in the verses you posted? It says “In that day” I will raise up the booth of David.

In the day that God dies away with Israel he raises the tabernacle of David.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Did you read verse 11 in the verses you posted? It says “In that day” I will raise up the booth of David.

In the day that God dies away with Israel he raises the tabernacle of David.
In that day.....yet future.....God will restore Israel as per biblical prophecy from Genesis to Revelation.

Dec 12, 2013
@ dcon

Amo 8:2 (KJV) And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.

What does this verse mean dcon?
In context it means that God was going to judge the Northern Kingdom because of their complete idolatry....and he did.....by the Assyrians....he would no longer pass over their sin.....

Nov 23, 2013
In that day.....yet future.....God will restore Israel as per biblical prophecy from Genesis to Revelation.[/QUOTE
In that day means in the same day as the previous verses. It’s not a “phrase” meaning the end of time.... unless your a dispensationalist lol.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
If you are a full blown preterist....stay tuned. You are in for quite a shock. I for one am not the slightest bit confused regarding Gods timetable of events and dealings with Israel. It is just too obvious.

BTW....Israel was....and still is....a sign.

Nov 23, 2013
In context it means that God was going to judge the Northern Kingdom because of their complete idolatry....and he did.....by the Assyrians....he would no longer pass over their sin.....
I don't understand where you and Nehemiah6 come up with the northern Kingdom times. The bible gives us the context and the context is during the time that the tabernacle of David is raised up.

Amo 9:11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

Are you assuming that because Amos wrote in the times of the northern kingdom then that means the context is the northern kingdom? Daniel wrote during the time of the Babylonian captivity, does that mean the prophecies in Daniel were for that time?

You have to look at the context of the story. The story is about a judgement from God that occurs at the time the tabernacle of David was raised.