Sunday worship / Christmas / Easter and all the rest....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CasS22

Oct 22, 2014
It's pretty much common knowledge with anyone that takes their faith even half seriously that Jesus wasn't born around Dec 25. I'm surprised you still think everyone else believes that and you're one of the few enlightened.
But, really, everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I would have honestly never figured that out on my own. Those are not things I tend to focus on or do well at. That's why those who can share.

How are you not attempting to poke at people or start arguements when you label everyone else "brainwashed"?
Is not the humble person open to learning rather than talks down about how clueless everyone else is. Perhaps a knowledgable person will say that, but not a wise one.

I don't know the exact day Jesus was born. And guess what? It's not really important. If people choose to celebrate his birthday at the wrong time, so what? Does it really matter? Or change anything? Do you believe Jesus is offended? Does it affect your life? Your walk? Your faith?

People are so eager to run around boasting about what they know and how ignorant everyone else is on the most insignificant things. Ironic.

Not that how I’m the only one but how so many buy into and can’t see its nonsense

CasS22

Oct 22, 2014
Kudos to you Kim, My work was not essential... But non the less, I made time for worship and time for work... Had to pay the bills, Had a family and co-owned my own business. I've always had a relationship with God, the son , and the holy ghost, no matter what day of the week it is... I feel the same for God every day of the week...
You don’t have to do anything besides follow his word and obey , Jesus will take care of the rest not to say you can do nothing , you show me your faith is not with him if you can’t sacrifice one day for him. This is my point exactly .
I’m not judging but people seem to put them selves first , in way of traditions and what “ they” think is right.. , lean not on your own understanding.

The sabbath wouldn’t be a commandment if it was abolished or not binding as one so cleverly put it .
Anything to get away from it I suppose....

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Not that how I’m the only one but how so many buy into and can’t see its nonsense
Judging by how much of what i said you ignored or misread and the rest of your responses to others, you've pretty much closed the door on the topic you started and shown yourself to offer nothing of value or substance, merely talking down to people or picking only the parts you want to respond to that are easiest. It's pretty much been dead ended.

Sep 13, 2018
Change ones foolish thinking as yours is .., reveal the truth
So, act as if Jesus was never born... You should stick to your religion and leave ours alone. out of respect I mean...

Mar 25, 2019
Day of worship those not matter but have a knowledge of who you worship know him for who he is. For Christmas no date in the bible we just pick that day to celebrate Jesus birth

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Ill leave you with one verse I was reminded of reading you post.

Colossians 2:16–17 (NLT): So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17 For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality

Peace and blessings
Context; Go back to verse 14. The Sabbaths mentioned are those of the handwriting to the ordinances not the ordinances themselves but the handwriting to the ordinances. And only the handwriting to the ordinances that were against us. The Decalogue is not against

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Day of worship those not matter but have a knowledge of who you worship know him for who he is. For Christmas no date in the bible we just pick that day to celebrate Jesus birth
The day was picked purposely. It has a pagan (evil) origin.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
I wonder what would happen if all doctors, all police officers, all firemen etc decided that they would not work on Saturday? I wonder what would happen? Can anyone imagine the hospitals sending home all the sick patients, locking the doors of the hospital, and putting up a big sign with the words "closed for sabbath"?
Jesus healed and did not condemn anyone for doing emergency work on the Sabbath. Righteous judgement indeed!

And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.
(Mar 3:5 KJV)

The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
(Luk 13:15 KJV)

And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
(Mat 12:11-12 KJV)

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
(Mat 5:17-18 KJV)

All has not been fulfilled and Heaven and Earth have not passed away.

Jesus also said to HIS Apostles, "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day"
(Mat 24:20 KJV)

This would be a Strange and confusing thing for HIM to say if HIS Crucifixion and Resurrection was to bring an end to the Sabbath. Day

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Exodus 16: KJV
29 "See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

So people who keep the Sabbath by going to church on the Sabbath day are in fact breaking the very Sabbath law they believe they are keeping by leaving their homes and going to church on the Sabbath day..

K

Kim82

The only rest and Sabbath I know, is to believe and trust in God. I don't know of any other rest. God has given us a new rest. So why will I cling to the rest of former days?
Hebrews 4:1-11 King James Version (KJV)
4 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Mar 22, 2019
I wonder what would happen if all doctors, all police officers, all firemen etc decided that they would not work on Saturday? I wonder what would happen? Can anyone imagine the hospitals sending home all the sick patients, locking the doors of the hospital, and putting up a big sign with the words "closed for sabbath"?
First, Jesus did say it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

Secondly, not everyone on Earth is a saved believer. Plenty of unbelievers would do the tasks.

Thirdly, Christians for nearly 2,000 years did not work on the Sabbath. It was only until recently that many Christians started dishonoring the Sabbath and working on it.

Mar 22, 2019
Exodus 16: KJV
29 "See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

So people who keep the Sabbath by going to church on the Sabbath day are in fact breaking the very Sabbath law they believe they are keeping by leaving their homes and going to church on the Sabbath day..
The seventh day is Saturday. Most Christians go to church on Sunday, the first day of the week - NOT the Sabbath.

Also, the going out of the house I don't think applies to us, it was situational. The purpose was not to go out to collect manna ("bread") instead of doing that gathering work on the 6th day (Friday).

cobalt1959

Feb 10, 2019
So before I begin this isn’t to start a argument , poke at anyone , or create confusion . I know where I stand and curious to how so many Christians are still following the pagan ways and traditions of man.

I will start with Christmas , I personally don’t believe Jesus was born on the said day man follows , 25th . As the bible does not state this as well if you look at New Years , it’s followed on the 1st of Jan in the dead of winter please anyone tell me what’s new then! If you said nothing your right, Bible states this one clearly , “new bud ,new year” spring time is the new year and when you think about it logically completely makes sense.

Man has been so brainwashed sometimes I can’t believe it .

Moving on to the Sabbath day , this one is truly a doozy.
I want to put it this way as an example.... Mans law says we shouldn’t steal , you as a good citizen follow all the rules but steal every week , what I’m getting at is the sabbath is a commandment yet most ignore it, aren’t aware of its significance or don’t follow as it don’t fit there wants or needs or what have you .
All I’m saying as it is a commandment yet most Christian’s ain’t aware of it or if they are they follow on a Sunday which is not Jesus day. I think the biggest issue behind this is we don’t read our bibles if we did we wouldn’t miss this stuff instead we go to a church listen to a “man” give us his ideas and we trust him cause he’s holding a bible and maybe if your lucky pulls a few versus from it . The Lord says trust no man , yet we do the opposite. Just FYI I’m guilty as most I do try to keep it but don’t always keep it holy . It’s funny when you look at Friday night and Saturday’s that’s when everything “ cool “ happens , all the parties , new movie releases and the list goes on . Do you think this is a accident ? No it’s not.

The devil is here to take you away from Jesus by any means , most of us this is easily accomplished but temptations of all types . For those of us who follow the sabbath I noticed he does what he can to get you to break it , for me I’m having a hard time finding work now as I don’t work saturdays and in my line of work oncall is a big part , been over a year now and I could of been working but because I will not sacrifice the sabbath I have not since. It’s been a battle , tears and all. But I will not give it up even if that means death .

The sabbath is how one grows closer to Jesus , so when someone says there close to him and does not follow I find it hard to believe . There’s only one God Jesus and one way how are we at a place so divided and so confused on what path to take as there’s only two death and everlasting life. Broad and narrow.

I can see how over the years the devil got he’s greasy little claws on literally everything and twisted/ perverted it to make it pleasing to man and quote easier to follow unquote. We are in the end days everyone we need to wake up . Jesus is to be acknowledged everyday but especially on the sabbath , the devils seal is the mark the Lords seal is received by following his word and obeying the sabbath.

If we can be lead astray but something as silly as Christmas I can’t imagine how many will fall with the great deception coming.

Much love to you all may the Lord speak to you and show you his way ....

Just looking to hear ppls thoughts on this not looking to get into heated discussions
Of course you wanted to start debate, and tell everyone why you are right, or you would not have written this:

I know where I stand and curious to how so many Christians are still following the pagan ways and traditions of man.
That sentence is a fairly insulting blanket statement aimed at anyone not doing things your way, so they are all pagans. Not so much.

Firstly, born-again Christians do not think they are observing the Sabbath on Sunday. Every SDA I've ever debated introduced that into the argument from the very beginning as it is the lynch pin of their accusation that everyone else is sinning in regards to the Sabbath, except them. But that accusation is based on a false premise. I don't think I am keeping the Sabbath when I go to church on Sunday. Neither does any other Christian I know. So there goes that false premise out the window.

Going to church and the Sabbath are not the same thing, nor are they connected in any way, nor have they ever been connected.

1. The Sabbath was commanded only to Israel. No one else. So unless you are a Mosaic Law Jew who is also not a born-again Christian, there is no reason for you to believe you should be observing the Sabbath.

2. There is not one verse in the New Testament that tells the Church to observe the Sabbath.

3. Obeying the Sabbath along the actual biblical dictates and rules has been literally impossible since the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD. Unless you are offering daily sacrifices and the extra Sabbath-specific sacrifices at the Temple, in Jerusalem, you are not "keeping" the Sabbath.

4. The Sabbath is not about going to church. So going to church on Saturday is not keeping the Sabbath at all. You are simply swapping which day you go to church, which isn't even close to keeping the Sabbath. Unless you are keeping the Sabbath according to the actual dictates in Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers, you are not keeping the Sabbath either, so claiming that it's everyone else who isn't keeping it is a non-starter. In point of fact, you are not keeping the Sabbath either. There is no physical way you can in the 21st century.

cobalt1959

Feb 10, 2019
Jesus is Truth. So for those seeking Truth/Jesus need to get in His word and find out how He says to worship Him. The New Testament does not do away with the Old Testament. Jesus fulfilled the sacrificial laws (the priestly laws) and he did away with the handwriting of ordinances (the rabbinical law) but he did not do away with the Ten Commandments or the Lords Feast (not the Jewish feast, read the book people). We have been sold a bill of goods by our Roman Roots. We need to stop listening to man and listen to God.
Always a false premise. Rome has foisted a huge chunk of false doctrine on the world, but the Sabbath wasn't one of them. Even the RCC does not believe they are observing the sabbath on Sunday. This is always a back-door tactic from people who think they are actually keeping the Sabbath, (even though they can't), to try and discredit everyone else. Going to church on Saturday is not keeping the Sabbath . . .

cobalt1959

Feb 10, 2019
Change ones foolish thinking as yours is .., reveal the truth
You say you are not here to argue or debate, but anyone who does not agree with you gets an insult in your reply.

Explain to us exactly how you are keeping the Sabbath. Exactly how are you "setting aside" the Sabbath? If you think you are actually keeping the Sabbath, and since you claim to be smarter than everyone else in post after post, it should be patently easy to tell all of us exactly how you keep the Sabbath.

GHClarkII

Mar 20, 2019
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on the Church in the New Testament.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Even when Sabbatarians set out to worship on the Sabbath, are they truly "keeping" the Sabbath? To "keep the Sabbath" as it was required in the Old Testament under the Old Covenant would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If Sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19).

These were commanded by God to Israel (Exodus 35:1).

If the seventh day Sabbath is still in affect, then why do not the Sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a person keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it?

If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the Sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? The Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the Old Covenant, no Sabbatarian can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

God's word makes it clear that Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel:“The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested” (Exodus 31:16-17).

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.” (Deuteronomy 5:15).

*This is where we need to rightly divide the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)
This is exactly correct. The gentile converts to Christianity did not keep Sabbath, but met for a meal and worship on Sunday to commemorate the resurrection. Only the Jews continued to keep Sabbath as they always have. The Catholic Church has nothing to do with it, that is a historical fallacy.

That being said, keeping the Sabbath isn't a bad thing. It is a day to remember God as Creator and covenant maker. It is not a law unto us, as was pointed out by Paul, but it is not bad. Paul tells us to celebrate the days we desire, so long as they worship God. We are not to disqualify each other over this issue.