Sunday Worship?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The Sabbath command was never, not once, repeated in the NT. Not even by Jesus when asked, what must I do?
The sabbath was very much in the new Testament. Heb 4.
Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Paul is using the sabbath rest to illustrate the rest we can have in Jesus.

But nothing is said to say the sabbath rest is replaced or removed.

Jas 2:10-12
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James is clear, that if you break one law you break all of The LAW.

The sabbath is part of that law mentioned.

Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

This was written after Jesus died... and Jesus understood what was going to happen. If the sabbath was made void why make the point that it is lawful to do good on the sabbath.
And why would Jesus talk about the Sabbath, in the following verse if it was made void?
Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The Sabbath command was never, not once, repeated in the NT. Not even by Jesus when asked, what must I do?
Does that mean that we are NT Christians.

Does that mean, If it isn't in the NT we can say it is not valid?

You can't seperate the old testament from Jesus.
Joh 5:38-39
38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

In the day of Jesus there was no NT.

They are all inspired. Both old and New

If the old testament tells us to Remember the sabbath why should I forget today?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The sabbath was very much in the new Testament.
I did not say it was not mentioned. I said it was never repeated as a
commandment, and not even by Jesus when asked, what must I do?

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
I did not say it was not mentioned. I said it was never repeated as a
commandment, and not even by Jesus when asked, what must I do?
There were a lot of things that Jesus did not mention, but what He did say is important...

Mat 19:16-21
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Keep the commandments
The commandments Jesus quotes from are the 10 commandments.
Jesus did not say some or only 6 or 9. It is well understood that it was the 10 commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

Jesus knew the one that he was failing on.
Coveting. Love for self more then love for God.

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

If we were in the same place we may have things that we fail in too. The point is that we need to be willing to give up this world and follow Jesus.

To follow Jesus we need to keep the commandments like Him. If we make mistakes we can be forgiven, but we can't purposely sin and follow Jesus.

The law above is the 10 commandments and Jesus said to keep the commandments.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Problem is, you cannot keep the Sabbath as was commanded, no matter how hard you try or how much
you want to believe you do, or us to believe that you can. It is impossible. The seventh day rest pointed
forward to the rest from works for salvation we find in Christ. It is the simplicity of the gospel message
that seems to elude many who want to hearken back to ancient times and ways as if we were still there.

Jesus is my Sabbath rest.
:)

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
Does that mean that we are NT Christians.

Does that mean, If it isn't in the NT we can say it is not valid?

You can't seperate the old testament from Jesus.
Joh 5:38-39
38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

In the day of Jesus there was no NT.

They are all inspired. Both old and New

If the old testament tells us to Remember the sabbath why should I forget today?
I find that Paul and Christ used the Sabbath as a day to do God's work. It was a mission day. In Hebrews, which I personally account to Paul as the writer. I read don't forsake the gathering. I don't find that it was done on Saturday.

As Paul said I become all things to all men that I may win some. He as a practice would enter the synagogue and preach. As that was where the lost that had received the oracles of God where. Christ had already warned that in the synagogue they would be persecuted.

So I can't personally connect the dots that Saturday was the day to worship as the scriptures point out it was a mission day. Which it is still a good day to use as a mission day since the world has Saturday off. However, I am of the belief that each must purpose in their own heart and then live in peace with their concise.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The OT is inspired, and when the OT tells us to obey God we should obey unless the law has been removed.

There is no place in the NT that removes the 10 commandments.

The laws that were shadows of what Jesus would accomplish and a schoolmaster to bring people to Jesus were removed as explained but people use these verse to remove the 10 commanents or what ever part of the OT they do not like.
Problem is, you cannot keep the Sabbath as was commanded, no matter how hard you try
We can do nothing good.
But with Christ..... Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

The law of the Pharisees is not the law of God.

Jesus did not keep the sabbath according to man. But He did obey according to God or the law of God.

God would not ask us to do the impossible, plus it is a gift from God which is a delight when you keep it.

It isn't a burden.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
So I can't personally connect the dots that Saturday was the day to worship as the scriptures point out it was a mission day.
It is our mission to tell the world about Jesus, the mission of spreading the gospel is a delight, we love Jesus and what He did, as a result we tell everyone we can.
The mission is part of worship.

You don’t go to church to recieve a blessing but to be a blessing. Everyone's mission will result in worship and if we have a day set aside (no destactions) we can worship and evengalise and praise God all the more.

The seventh day is Saturday and that is the day that God sanctified and made holy.

God said REMEMBER the sabbath day to keep it holy.

You can forget it and follow the pagan tradition of Sunday worship but I love God and delight in the law of God.
I don't claim to be perfect but I can say it has been a blessing.

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Psa 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,... 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psa 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
What is the reason for the 10 commandment law being made void?

All of the law of the first covenant was replaced by a new covenant and it's new law. Some old laws are in the new law like anything regarding morality (don't murder or steal etc). Ceremonial laws like the Sabbath and anything related to sin sacrifices etc were fulfilled and are not brought into the new covenant law.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Ever wonder why Jesus was clear that He and The Father are one.

Jesus gave the 10 commandments.

No, he didn't.

Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Jesus' commandments are verbally given and existed when he spoke of them but his Father's commandments came from the first covenant, written first in stone, then many many more by the priests of God.

Saturday, Sunday sabbath argument is silly we are to worship regardless of the day and everyday as follows:

Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. John 4:23

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John14:6

The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. John 6:63

If you really think God wants you to go stand with believers and decievers on a Saturday or Sunday and clap your hands and sing songs and drink wine/juice and eat waffers you really need get yourself head first in the words and works of Jesus Christ.

Dec 29, 2023
If you really think God wants you to go stand with believers and decievers on a Saturday or Sunday and clap your hands and sing songs and drink wine/juice and eat waffers you really need get yourself head first in the words and works of Jesus Christ.

So all churches should be abolished?

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
You can forget it and follow the pagan tradition of Sunday worship but I love God and delight in the law of God.
I don't claim to be perfect but I can say it has been a blessing.
In any type of analysis of ones mindset isn't the first thing that is deducted that if someone says a statement like they are not perfect it is false humility. As they truly believe the opposite. Isn't your whole declaration here of your righteousness and how you are the better man?

That is the problem with the law and why we could for one never keep it. As we will think more highly of ourselves than we ought. That is why the Pharisees were given to us for example and why Christ said your righteousness must exceed theirs if we are to see the kingdom.

Their righteousness was based upon their own interpretation of the law and keeping it. Which Christ pointed out they did not even understand the law. That is the problem we are always gonna find we keep the law righteously because every man is right in his own eyes.

No man can serve two masters. We have to either serve the law in every aspect or serve the Spirit. If we try and do both then we are reminded a double minded man is unstable in all his ways and he can expect nothing.

The law is predicated on what you can't do where the Spirit is predicated on what you can do. The law emphasizes don't as the Spirit emphasizes do. Why we are reminded when we walk in the fruit of the Spirit against such there is no law.

Our righteousness according to God is either by our keeping of the law fully in every way and understanding the law to keep it fully. Which only Christ did. So our righteousness is either of the law or of the Spirit. To which we have to serve one master.

However, again it was not me that said this or points out the difference. As that was the purpose of the law to be ones righteousness.

Deut 6:24-25 And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day. 25And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

No man can serve two masters either we have to serve the whole law and be righteous by it or serve Christ and be righteous by him.