Switching email account from 1 computer to another

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
That's my question. I have a desktop, but am getting a laptop soon and want to switch my current email on the desktop, onto the laptop. I tried Googling it but didn't find a satisfactory answer.. I use Outlook.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
you can log into your e-mail from any device at any time

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
So it doesn't matter that I'm switching to a laptop? Because my desktop is ready to conk out anytime, so the laptop will be the only one I have to use..

you can log into your e-mail from any device at any time

Z

Zi

Nope. A lot of them come with Outlook built in. You just log in
So it doesn't matter that I'm switching to a laptop? Because my desktop is ready to conk out anytime, so the laptop will be the only one I have to use..

Aug 2, 2009
Right. All you have to do is log in to your email account on your laptop or your cellphone or your tablet... its all the same. The email account exists on the company's computer and it opens for anyone who has the password. That's why if a hacker gets your p/w he can open your email from anywhere in the world.. :rolleyes:

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
Hi Blue,

Sorry to hear about your desktop, but I think you'll love your new laptop. When's the new arrival?
:)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Most likely next month, but possibly this month if I have enough $$ left over after paying bills..

Hi Blue,

Sorry to hear about your desktop, but I think you'll love your new laptop. When's the new arrival?
:)

Feb 7, 2015
My wife and I receive exactly the same mail messages on five (5) different devices, (same email address)

Sep 9, 2017
Hi, don't worry. You can get your emails on different devices, you just need to log in outlook email system on your new laptop.
Hope you have fun with the new one!

G

GaryA

The first question that needs answering is -- are you using POP3 mail or WEB mail?

If you are using POP3 mail, then it will need to be moved - because, it is actually on your local computer.

If you are using WEB mail, then it does not matter - because, your mail is on a web server somewhere.

If you are using Outlook, then I imagine it is downloading your mail to your local computer.

If you were using WEB mail, then you would be accessing it through a browser.

So - yes - you will probably need to export your mail [ to a single file if possible ] - when the time comes - to move your mail to the new computer.

Then you will copy / move that file to the new computer and import it into the mail tool ( Outlook, etc. ) that is on the new computer.

Sep 11, 2017
Blue ladybug, you are going to use a laptop??? that's just awesome!!! and welcome from desktop to laptop then!;) in fact, i use laptop too