Tactics

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

In a world indifferent or even opposed to Christian truth, followers of Christ must be better equipped to communicate the timeless of the Christian faith. But how do you have a conversation with someone who is intent on proving you wrong and won't accept the Bible as a source of authority?

In Tactics, Gregory Koukl demonstrates how to artfully regain control of conversations, keeping them moving forward in constructive ways through thoughtful diplomacy. You'll learn how to maneuver comfortably and graciously through the minefields of a challenging discussion, how to stop challengers in their tracks, and how to turn the tables on question or provocative statement. Most importantly, you'll learn how to get people thinking about Jesus.

Drawing on extensive experience defending Christianity in the public square, Koukl shows you how to:

• Initiate conversations effortlessly
  • Present the truth clearly, cleverly, and persuasively
  • Graciously and effectively expose faulty thinking
  • Skillfully manage the details of dialogue
  • Maintain an engaging, disarming style even under attack
Tactics provides the game plan for communicating the compelling truth about Christianity with confidence and grace
https://www.amazon.com/Tactics-Game-Discussing-Christian-Convictions/dp/0310282926

James 1:19 New International Version (NIV)
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

Learning to listen can be one of the hardest skills to learn, right beside learning not to pre assume someone's beliefs. Becoming a student to another's beliefs allows you to be less offensive, makes you seem more respectful, and allows the other individual to trust you are there for good intentions. Listening can give you a clear understanding what to address and good questions can do the work for you by allowing the individual to think through such beliefs.

Great book if you find time to read it. But also to implement it.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I'd rather suggest listening to what non-Christians say about Christians. I've heard a variety of complaints about Christians, not about their theology or moral stance, but rather their approach, tone and attitude.
Ironic that Christians will listen to other Christians on how to talk to non-Christians, but ignore non-Christians telling Christians why they are ineffective.

May 14, 2020
Western Australia
I'd rather suggest listening to what non-Christians say about Christians. I've heard a variety of complaints about Christians, not about their theology or moral stance, but rather their approach, tone and attitude.
Ironic that Christians will listen to other Christians on how to talk to non-Christians, but ignore non-Christians telling Christians why they are ineffective.
Agreed!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

In a world indifferent or even opposed to Christian truth, followers of Christ must be better equipped to communicate the timeless of the Christian faith. But how do you have a conversation with someone who is intent on proving you wrong and won't accept the Bible as a source of authority?

In Tactics, Gregory Koukl demonstrates how to artfully regain control of conversations, keeping them moving forward in constructive ways through thoughtful diplomacy. You'll learn how to maneuver comfortably and graciously through the minefields of a challenging discussion, how to stop challengers in their tracks, and how to turn the tables on question or provocative statement. Most importantly, you'll learn how to get people thinking about Jesus.

Drawing on extensive experience defending Christianity in the public square, Koukl shows you how to:

• Initiate conversations effortlessly
  • Present the truth clearly, cleverly, and persuasively
  • Graciously and effectively expose faulty thinking
  • Skillfully manage the details of dialogue
  • Maintain an engaging, disarming style even under attack
Tactics provides the game plan for communicating the compelling truth about Christianity with confidence and grace
https://www.amazon.com/Tactics-Game-Discussing-Christian-Convictions/dp/0310282926

James 1:19 New International Version (NIV)
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

Learning to listen can be one of the hardest skills to learn, right beside learning not to pre assume someone's beliefs. Becoming a student to another's beliefs allows you to be less offensive, makes you seem more respectful, and allows the other individual to trust you are there for good intentions. Listening can give you a clear understanding what to address and good questions can do the work for you by allowing the individual to think through such beliefs.

Great book if you find time to read it. But also to implement it.
I read the book and highly recommend it to any who have a desire to spread the good news.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Not always. Non Christians will use false ideas on how a Christian should proclaim the Gospel.

If Peter would of took their advice, I'm sure he wouldn't of been killed.

But if you haven't read the book then your opinion is a assumption based only on opinion.

As already mentioned this involves a lot of listening. In listening you will find out reasonable concerns with how some Christians evangelize. If it sounds Biblical then you can easily correct the problem but if it is sounds unBiblical then you can of course take their advice.

Ultimately our authority comes from God.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
It's true that correct Bible theology isn't enough by itself - to do the best job of winning souls to Christ. A big problem now and always (but more and more so, as the end draws nearer) is that too many Christians "Talk the walk, but fail to walk the talk." As such, they are poor examples to the world.
James 2:20-21

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
KJV

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Not always. Non Christians will use false ideas on how a Christian should proclaim the Gospel.

If Peter would of took their advice, I'm sure he wouldn't of been killed.

But if you haven't read the book then your opinion is a assumption based only on opinion.

As already mentioned this involves a lot of listening. In listening you will find out reasonable concerns with how some Christians evangelize. If it sounds Biblical then you can easily correct the problem but if it is sounds unBiblical then you can of course take their advice.

Ultimately our authority comes from God.
I'm referring to complaints I've heard that were totally valid. I expected someone to turn my point to justify not listening. Typically when I've tried to share this with most Christians they ignore it.

If God is the authority then why do I need to listen to the video? Is what he teaches in the bible?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I'm referring to complaints I've heard that were totally valid. I expected someone to turn my point to justify not listening. Typically when I've tried to share this with most Christians they ignore it.

If God is the authority then why do I need to listen to the video? Is what he teaches in the bible?
here is my take- I am 47 years old. back when I was a kid, everything was closed sun. morning , most stores stayed closed all day, most of the 10 or so t.v. channels had preaching on them.
there was no way to avoid Christianity on sun.

now, in today's world, there are plenty of ways not to notice Christianity on sun.

so, many people 35 and under have little clue about being a Christian and what it means, except for the false ideas that worldly people put in there heads.

so, I try to keep this in mind when I interact with others.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Yes or I wouldn't share it. Jesus was great at asking questions and cutting through to the core issues. But Jesus already knew their thoughts. We have to first learn their thoughts.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes or I wouldn't share it. Jesus was great at asking questions and cutting through to the core issues. But Jesus already knew their thoughts. We have to first learn their thoughts.
Non-believers can be as easily stereotyped as they like to stereotype Christians. Their thoughts should not be difficult to discern, especially given the fact that many believers were once just as adamant in their unbelief. I know I was :)

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Non-believers can be as easily stereotyped as they like to stereotype Christians. Their thoughts should not be difficult to discern, especially given the fact that many believers were once just as adamant in their unbelief. I know I was :)
The debates on here is enough evidence to show people's thoughts are not easily discerned. There is so many different beliefs and sometimes it is a mixture. If we dont learn where people are coming from then it could be hard to address where the individual's true doubts or concerns are.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The debates on here is enough evidence to show people's thoughts are not easily discerned. There is so many different beliefs and sometimes it is a mixture. If we dont learn where people are coming from then it could be hard to address where the individual's true doubts or concerns are.
But we are not talking to non-believers (for the most part) here... and if you are on a site that hosts such discussions regarding belief, faith, God, Jesus Christ, Scriptures, etc, between believers and non-believers, you find out pretty quick what the non-believers think... and just how contradictory they are. I spent a period covering eight years speaking almost exclusively to atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, Wiccans, Satanists, poly-theists, etc, before I became a member here. I sometimes think Christians who spend time online would learn a lot by doing something similar, though it may also be true that not all are called to it, nor would all necessarily have the stomach or heart for it.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
But we are not talking to non-believers (for the most part) here... and if you are on a site that hosts such discussions regarding belief, faith, God, Jesus Christ, Scriptures, etc, between believers and non-believers, you find out pretty quick what the non-believers think... and just how contradictory they are. I spent a period covering eight years speaking almost exclusively to atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, Wiccans, Satanists, poly-theists, etc, before I became a member here. I sometimes think Christians who spend time online would learn a lot by doing something similar, though it may also be true that not all are called to it, nor would all necessarily have the stomach or heart for it.
Yes I joined this site years ago then left for a few years to study and talk to unbelievers. Many are mean and hostile online. Real life is better because they dont have a screen to hide behind.

Obviously most here are believers but this I posted is to equip believers with a good method to speak to unbelievers or even other Christians who try to debate.