The 10 Commandments

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
I'm not God and don't plan to judge anyone. But true faith will have works. A apple tree produces apples, Love for Jesus results in righteous obedience. The power and strength comes from God so we can not boast but Jesus wants to give us the victory.
1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
oh_14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
1Jn_5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
HIS commandments here would be talking about the TWO commandments not the ten commandments

In the new covenant which GOD In CHRIST gave Is to love GOD and the Second one Is to love your neighbor and for a man to love his neighbor,GOD has to First do a work In them and then they will have a desire to love their neighbor.

Dec 9, 2011
Dec 9, 2011
The same GOD that spoke In the old testament IS the same GOD that speaks In the new testament and since GOD doesn't change how do we keep the ten commandments of the old testament and the two commandments GOD In CHRIST gave us In the New testament?

Romans 7:12-15
King James Version

12 Wherefore the law [is] holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Jul 11, 2020
the difference is needing to be commanded under punishment of death to honor ones parents , versus being born again and having that respect and honor being imprinted upon our heart so that we don’t need to be commanded under death to do so

“honor your parents , if not you will be put to death by the people “ is the law of commandment

be born again in the spirit , and you will live and become a child of God who naturally honors parents and more than that one another , not neeeing a commandment to do so but simply living the new life God creates in us through the gospel

look at something as simple as the sabbath

“Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭18:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Commandment

“Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭35:2‬ ‭

the law of sin and death

“And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭15:32, 35-36‬ ‭

But the New Testament is contrary to that law

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:16-17‬ ‭

Observance of the law was a shadow of the real things in Christ . Being born again is what saves us . Being born of the gospel and the truth therin leaves a person not having motivation , reason or inclination to do things like dishonor parents , worship false gods , kill . Lie , cheat

you can’t be born of the gospel and walk on those ways but you can observe Ten Commandments and be utterly wicked at the same time

we have to change at the source of our sin problem the commandments can’t do that but the gospel can
I still maintain my position that the 10 commandments are much relevant and still apply to us Christians. As I have said severally, it is the method of fulfilling them that have changed. --- It seems you are saying same thing in a way, if I understand you well.

What I see more in your post is a mixture of the 10 commandments handed to Moses at Mt Sinai and the statutes /ordinances. The op in one of her posts mentioned that the two are different which I agree with to a large extent. We must be able to differentiate the two.

There are the 10 commandments Moses went up the Mountain to receive from God and there are other statutes and ordinances which specify how the law should be fulfilled as well as the consequences of not fulfilling them. In other words, there is the main law and there are what we can call the appendices which show what and what one has to do to show fulfilment of the main law. These are the works of the law mentioned in Galatians 2:16

If we read and understand Paul's letters to the Gentiles, we will notice that his references as regards the issue under discussion were on the law of commandments contained in the ordinances . ( which shall be their righteousness if they observe to do all that were written therein.)

I quote (old kjv) --just few instances

1. Ephesians 2:14 - 16
"For he is our peace , who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in his flesh the enmity even, the law of commandments contained in ordinances for to make in himself of two, one new man. so making peace. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby."

2. Colossians 2:13 - 17; 2:20-22
"And, you being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he quickened together with him having forgiving you all trespasses; blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us which was contrary to us and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink or in respect of a holyday or of the new moon or of the sabbath days, which are a shadow of things to come but the body is of Christ.
Wherefore, if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why as though living in the world are you subject to the ordinances ( Touch not, handle not, which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men.

So when he says, Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: he was referring to the works of the law contained in the ordinances.

Another area of consideration is the standard of their (Jewish) understanding of the law versus the higher understanding of the law Jesus taught. When speaking of the law, we must go beyond their narrow mindset

As Jesus said regarding the sabbath, the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath, so, the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath.

As a Christian, am I bound to worship on the Sabbath day? my answer is Nope. Reason, I believe, the "order" of worship has changed. However, it is no sin for anybody to have Saturday as his/her special day of worship. I believe that even if we serve and worship God everyday, we must not neglect the assembling of ourselves together as Paul said even in this period of Covid 19. The spiritual benefits outweigh the cons.

Just reposted because my previous post on #575 did not align well.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I still maintain my position that the 10 commandments are much relevant and still apply to us Christians. As I have said severally, it is the method of fulfilling them that have changed. --- It seems you are saying same thing in a way, if I understand you well.

What I see more in your post is a mixture of the 10 commandments handed to Moses at Mt Sinai and the statutes /ordinances. The op in one of her posts mentioned that the two are different which I agree with to a large extent. We must be able to differentiate the two.

There are the 10 commandments Moses went up the Mountain to receive from God and there are other statutes and ordinances which specify how the law should be fulfilled as well as the consequences of not fulfilling them. In other words, there is the main law and there are what we can call the appendices which show what and what one has to do to show fulfilment of the main law. These are the works of the law mentioned in Galatians 2:16

If we read and understand Paul's letters to the Gentiles, we will notice that his references as regards the issue under discussion were on the law of commandments contained in the ordinances . ( which shall be their righteousness if they observe to do all that were written therein.)

I quote (old kjv) --just few instances

1. Ephesians 2:14 - 16
"For he is our peace , who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in his flesh the enmity even, the law of commandments contained in ordinances for to make in himself of two, one new man. so making peace. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby."

2. Colossians 2:13 - 17; 2:20-22
"And, you being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he quickened together with him having forgiving you all trespasses; blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us which was contrary to us and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink or in respect of a holyday or of the new moon or of the sabbath days, which are a shadow of things to come but the body is of Christ.
Wherefore, if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why as though living in the world are you subject to the ordinances ( Touch not, handle not, which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men.

So when he says, Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: he was referring to the works of the law contained in the ordinances.

Another area of consideration is the standard of their (Jewish) understanding of the law versus the higher understanding of the law Jesus taught. When speaking of the law, we must go beyond their narrow mindset

As Jesus said regarding the sabbath, the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath, so, the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath.

As a Christian, am I bound to worship on the Sabbath day? my answer is Nope. Reason, I believe, the "order" of worship has changed. However, it is no sin for anybody to have Saturday as his/her special day of worship. I believe that even if we serve and worship God everyday, we must not neglect the assembling of ourselves together as Paul said even in this period of Covid 19. The spiritual benefits outweigh the cons.

Just reposted because my previous post on #575 did not align well.
Mayes it’s your right to maintain your position brother , discussion is a good thing but it doesn’t mean the person we’re discussing with demands we agree . That’s not at all My position and I respect your views and your right to hold them

I appreciate when Two ideas can be presented and considered without offense

Dec 9, 2011
Amen! so true. And to say that we cannot keep them or obey

Amen! To say they have been done away with, and that you cannot keep or obey them is disrespect and a mockery to God. He said: "If you love me, keep my commandments". John 14; 15. He would never ask us to do something He knew would be impossible for us to do. Also, the true agape love of God needs to be in our hearts. For, "though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity (love), I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal" 1 Corinthians 13; 1.....be blessed....
You quoted the scripture that says If a man love me he will keep my commandments but How can a person love without GOD putting Into them love?How does a person keep the ten commandments without GODs strength or the two commandments without GODs strength?A person has to come to GOD first In sincere repentance(turn)then GOD does a work In them and then they will keep the two commandments.

John 6:44-45
King James Version

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
I suppose it's theoretically possible to keep the law. But if you're ever use dollars as currency, then you're certainly violating the commandment against dishonest weights and measures. Not to mention the admonition against graven images. And "In God we trust" is certainly blasphemous when printed on pot metal counterfeit coins.

Then Jesus told us what He meant by adultery, when he said that anyone who looks at a woman with lust has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

He told us the admonition against murder means that you better not call into question your neighbor's intelligence by calling him a fool.

It goes on and on. So no, I don't think we really can. I think all of the laws point to the need for a savior.
I understand what point your making but new testament speaks of keeping GOD's Commandments as written by john the book of revelation speaks of those that are saved washed with the blood of the lamb .it states these are the ones that are washed with the blood of the lamb wich keep the commandments of GOD and have the testimony of Jesus The Christ .isaiah states in chapter66 after the new heavens and the new earth it speaks of The Sabbath. As we understand by the book of beresheet ( Genesis) it was established at creation it is an established sacrament of creation instituted by GOD but your obedience to GOD is up to you abd so every other individual who wishes to serve GOD faithfully my illustration is not to bring people to old covenant but to point out established order at creation the same order wich jesus came with , so if we call ourselves believers we follow GODS commandments not by the Letter but by the spirit