The 10 Commandments

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
Somewhere in the Bible (can't remember where :unsure:) it says that God will give us new knowledge in the end days (paraphrasing like crazy now)...
hmmm Maybe this verse>>>>>?
4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Da 12:4). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Yeah it continues

you refuse to acknowledge you said I am saying things I have never said

you made a claim I said nothing I never did, can you humble yourself enough to admit you made a mistake
I would be lying if I told you I meant to misinterpret you, I meant to insult you, or in any way told you that you must do and think as I say.

This is all not right before the Lord, not right at all, and I have tried to make it right and everything i try makes it worse. I can only live my life and give you freedom to live as you choose. I wish I wasn't involved in your choices.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Da 12:4). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
It seems to me that the knowledge scripture speaks of is fleshly knowledge, thinking that it is superior to knowledge of the Lord.

Yet, especially the dead sea scrolls has shown us knowledge that had been lost. It is strange, man makes great advances in learning but the advance in learning seems to take us away from the true wisdom, the learning of the spiritual realm. The scrolls takes us back, and going back takes us forward in the spirit.

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
It seems to me that the knowledge scripture speaks of is fleshly knowledge, thinking that it is superior to knowledge of the Lord.

Yet, especially the dead sea scrolls has shown us knowledge that had been lost. It is strange, man makes great advances in learning but the advance in learning seems to take us away from the true wisdom, the learning of the spiritual realm. The scrolls takes us back, and going back takes us forward in the spirit.
idol worship pulls man to worship the creation rather than the Creator. Sci with out God is like knowing how something works but not knowing where it or who it came from.

Jan 25, 2015

I know this verse :) it was something I have never heard of before till then. I need to go back to my previous Bible studies and see if I can't find it :giggle:

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
What I hear is blah blah blah, as you reject word definitions to split hairs trying to make me wrong about something you imagine to be true, but is not. In other words, in your own words, you are incapable of seeing a point. In fact, I was not even disputing what you said, but what EG said! However, you miss that point entirely, also.
Admittedly, I may have missed where you were going with the point you were making. Often times on these threads, answers are so short from members, that it is easy to read into something that may not be there. If this was the case, as you have indicated, my apologies.

Take care and keep safe.

E

eternally-gratefull

I would be lying if I told you I meant to misinterpret you, I meant to insult you, or in any way told you that you must do and think as I say.

This is all not right before the Lord, not right at all, and I have tried to make it right and everything i try makes it worse. I can only live my life and give you freedom to live as you choose. I wish I wasn't involved in your choices.
I give up.
you still do not get it, you never do, so I end our conversation the same way most of our conversations end. Frustrated, and saddened that again I can not help you see what you did.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I give up.
you still do not get it, you never do, so I end our conversation the same way most of our conversations end. Frustrated, and saddened that again I can not help you see what you did.
i know the feeling.

it is sad to see someone have such a zeal for the Lord, but have such a misplaced theology..

E

eternally-gratefull

i know the feeling.

it is sad to see someone have such a zeal for the Lord, but have such a misplaced theology..
It’s not even the theology in the case. It’s willful misrepresentation of what another person is saying then refusing to admit it. That makes it worse

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I give up.
I have a new idea that just possibly would mean you could hear me. You not only don't agree with me, but keep accusing me. It is that I would like to defend myself from you that you object to. Now, your accusing has gone to that I misquote you.

One of your accusations of this was when I said you were against the study of the old testament. All you would need to do is to say I am wrong to say that, and if you aren't against the roots, as one group calls the old testament, simply say you are for this study and I am wrong to say you are not. Then I could apologize for saying so, and at least one of your accusing me would be taken care of.

E

eternally-gratefull

I have a new idea that just possibly would mean you could hear me. You not only don't agree with me, but keep accusing me. It is that I would like to defend myself from you that you object to. Now, your accusing has gone to that I misquote you.

One of your accusations of this was when I said you were against the study of the old testament. B
let’s see

you said

On what do you base your accusation of anyone who believes in the old testament as scripture, as is meant by Hebrew roots? I would like to see your evidence.
my reply

I never made any such accusation
which is the same as saying, your wrong

Now can you see my frustration?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
let’s see

you said

my reply

which is the same as saying, your wrong

Now can you see my frustration?
If you believe that the roots are fine to study the old testament, and if I said you don't believe it is fine that they do study OT, I am truly sorry for saying you believe that. I was thinking of defending the Hebrew roots for taking the old testament seriously, and that was about the old testament not you.

I have a habit of thinking in terms of a large picture of beliefs rather than an individual post and it often gets me into trouble, and the sin of seeing the bad in a post that isn't in that post, and I apologize. That you continue with me helps me think this through, I thank you for that.

Wall

Mar 13, 2013
One of your accusations of this was when I said you were against the study of the old testament.
MATT.13 [51] Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord. [52] Then said he unto them, Therefore EVERY SCRIBE WHICH IS INSTRUCTED UNTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is like unto a man that is an householder, which BRINGETH FORTH OUT OF HIS TREASURE THINGS NEW AND OLD.

Directions to the kingdom. Treasure old and new

LEVITICUS 26 [9] For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you. [10] And YE SHALL EAT OLD STORE, AND BRING FORTH THE OLD BECAUSE OF THE NEW. [11] And I will set my tabernacle among you: and my soul shall not abhor you. [12] And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people.

Exactly what happened. Id never be reading the old if it werent for the new

Robo36

Nov 27, 2019
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments" (Jesus the Christ)

Dec 9, 2011
Does anyone believe we can and must keep the 10 Commandments?
I don't believe you can and must keep the law.
Paul wrote that he delights In keeping the law of GOD after the Inward man but he sees another law warring against the lAW of the MIND and bringing me Into captivity to the law of sin WHICH Is In my members/flesh.

Law of GOD IS spiritual.
Law of the Mind Is fleshly/carnal.

Since Adam chose to listen to himself The law was added but because of the weakness of the flesh man cannot perfectly keep the ten commandments which would be a requirement In order to relate to GOD who loves righteousness.

Whatever Is not of faith Is sin.
Example
A person goes on a fast and after about 5 hours their body starts getting hunger pains but In their mind they don't want to break their fast.This Is an example of I see another law warring against the law of my mind and bringing me Into captivity to the law of sin which Is my flesh/members.

GOD IN CHRIST made a way to bridge the gap between GOD and man.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Does anyone believe we can and must keep the 10 Commandments?
I think we need to be reborn in Christ so that we don’t need to be told “ don’t have any other gods” but we are reborn with a new nature that doesn’t want to do that so we keep it by our new nature we find in Christ .

I think keeping Gods word should become our nature and I believe faith in Christ and his word makes that change so we don’t need the law telling us what not to do , we won’t be lying , cheating , stealing and those things won’t be our desire and motive any longer

but we have to follow the spirit in the gospel to get there

So you have the commandment to a sinner saying “ don’t commit adultery with your flesh or you will die “

and the truth of overcoming the sin of the flesh is to believe the spirit “ it’s wrong for you to entertain even the ideas that lead to adultery , rod your heart and mind of that and you won’t have any desire to commit adultery “

“Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:27-28‬ ‭

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:1-2

there are two laws one of the spirit which says “ the reason you struggle with sin is inside of your mind and heart fight the battle there and win the war “

the law of the flesh says to the flesh “ don’t do any of the things you want to do by your sinful nature or you will die “

so we have to learn what this means

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:3, 5-

“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:16-18‬ ‭

we need to be led by the Law of the spirit being written on our hearts because we believe in Jesus

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:63‬ ‭

when we are born in Christ the commandments aren’t a grievance or debate we don’t even need to see them anymore because we’re new , having our minds and hearts remade because we believed the Gospel and persevered by faith

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I've witnessed numerous sabbatarians over the years on various Christian forums (SDA's in particular) make a similar claim, but end up teaching "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works." Here is a statement from a former member of Christian Chat who clearly taught "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works."

The counterfeit Gospel is out there. What is the other Gospel? It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's Law (10 commandments) from the Cross. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's 10 commandments from the plan of salvation. God’s Law has always been part of the true Gospel of Christ. The counterfeit Gospel does not have it. God's forever Law (the 10 commandments) is the foundation of both the Old and the New Covenant and the very foundation and basis of the true Gospel of Christ.
This same former member of Christian Chat (who is SDA) just recently started a thread on a different Christian forum entitled: "Why the Law is a part of the Gospel." The main purpose of his thread is to promote his perverted SDA gospel which claims that the Gospel is ALL the Word of God and that the 10 commandments are a part of the Gospel. He even goes on to say that if we break any of the 10 commandments (with a heavy emphasis of the 4th commandment) then we are willfully sinning and won't be saved. In other words, if we fall short of sinless, perfect obedience 100% of the time to the 10 commandments then we won't be saved. So "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works" and "sinless perfection" basically sum up his perverted gospel.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hebrew roots is looking to the roots (the old testament) Christianity to understand God. I cut to the chase by calling it the old testament instead of roots, they mean the same thing.
No, they do not mean the same thing. "Hebrew Roots" is a group of people who believe certain interpretations of Scripture. The old testament is Scripture itself.

[ Interpretation of Scripture ] does not equal [ Scripture ]

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
No, they do not mean the same thing. "Hebrew Roots" is a group of people who believe certain interpretations of Scripture. The old testament is Scripture itself.

[ Interpretation of Scripture ] does not equal [ Scripture ]
That is exactly what I believe about scrpture. It is trying to get the interpretation out of our of our understanding, and hear what the Lord is saying.

All the rules the Pharisees made for how to live scripture were based on their interpretation. I think we cut the interpretation best when we accept scripture exactly as written without adding to it.

But to me I see the roots movement as a movement to cut the interpretation from scripture and you see it as adding interpretation to scripture. I see added interpretation in much bible scholars have added to scripture, especially through the councils, in these 2,000 years after Christ, you sometimes use it to explain scripture.