The absurdity and heresy of Preterism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I asked for a PAST tense reference. This is not past tense in your theology.
This is what I addressed...
"So when does God orchestrate stuff so people cannot but repent and why doesn't He just do this for the whole world now?"
...and I believe the answer I gave from Rom 11, implies why He did not act in certain ways in the past.

May 23, 2020
"So when does God orchestrate stuff so people cannot but repent and why doesn't He just do this for the whole world now?"
...and I believe the answer I gave from Rom 11, implies why He did not act in certain ways in the past.
I don’t think it does. He says he’s the same yesterday today and forever. Jesus did all the possible to reach the Jews and through them the whole world. He simply NEVER forces a person to repent, and that was the example I was asking for. When did he do this as you suggests He will?

What or who is “all Israel” exactly? Maybe we can start there.

Romans 11 also says Paul is talking about the Jews THEN. So this is not future in any case.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Yes, I know how the words have been changed to mean future. One reads the words that say his servants should know what will soon take place and real churches are mentioned but your theology changes it into those who got that revelation couldn't have a clue since it was for people 2000+ years away and so absolutely useless to them. The churches the letters were sent to that would have comforted them was equally useless since none of it was meant for them.
I have one poster here who insisted, maybe it was you, who said it doesnt mean "soon" but quickly and they have seen these developments over the last 40 years. Now 40 years is not quickly by any stretch of the imagination. So I know the theology. A vision given to John for the church so that they would understand what is about to happen was not so they could understand what was about to happen at all. That is your position.
I will have to address the rest of your post later (I have other things I need to tend to ATM), but no, that wasn't me (but another poster)... what I've said is that [very briefly, zeroing in on THIS part of your post ^ ]]:

-- v.1 says "IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]" (which aspect refers to the "far-future" [7] trib yrs which lead UP TO His "RETURN"), it does not say "SOON / QUICKLY [ADVERBS]" (speaking of v.1, mind you!); and that this word is used elsewhere (I've pointed out where and how used);

--that it was addressed to "the churchES" ("...let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churchES" 7x), and that this is not the equivalent of saying "to the Church WHICH IS HIS BODY" [this IS part of it, tho]; the former is made up of BOTH the "saved" AND "those who come in His name, but who are NOT connected WITH HIM" (i.e. they are NOT "saved"--for example, the ones He is calling "LUKEWARM"... this does not mean "milquetoast, wimpy, weak, weasly CHRISTIANS/BELIEVERS" but are the UNSAVED in the churchES, see); the latter (meaning, "the Church WHICH IS HIS BODY") is made up of ONLY BELIEVERS [all those who are saved "in this present age [singular]"]; these 2 chpts addressed to "the churchES";

--the word for "about to happen" (in your post, and in the passage) is "mello" and carries the meaning, "IS SURE/CERTAIN [to happen]"... meaning, it will CERTAINLY HAPPEN because it has been prophesied to take place (not that it has to take place immediately, soon, at any moment, but is "SURE/CERTAIN [mello]" to)

--"the things WHICH ARE" [which are of long duration] are contrasted with "the things which must come to pass IN QUICKNESS [NOUN]" (NOT "soon" or "immediately" [adverbs]) [which, by contrast, are NOT of long duration]; additionally, Rev17:8 says, "[when they behold] the beast that WAS, and IS NOT, and YET SHALL BE [FUTURE tense]"... how long do you think the "and IS NOT" situation lasted (re: "beast" issues), in your view?

--since it was addressed to "the churchES" ("...let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churchES" 7x), then I certainly DO believe it was applicable and beneficial for them to read it (recall, chpts 2-3 especially pertain to "the things WHICH ARE" [i.e. the NOW... and I think it will also benefit those who find themselves in the trib years, to read it])

--another thing... I believe MID-trib is at the "5th Trumpet/1st Woe unto the earth" point in time (Rev12:12, Rev8:13, Rev9:1), and that the "2W's 1260 days of testimony" will END at the 6th Trumpet/2nd Woe events time-slot, meaning AFTER the MID-trib events, and yet we see that ppl will [have the capacity to] "SEND GIFTS one to another" in their celebration of their death and cessation of their "testimony" / "torment[-ing of them via plagues]"... I see no real problem with the "FLEE" issue at MID-trib (prior to this point in the chronology, even)... And I don't see "come out" of Babylon as being the equivalent of FLEEING to a remote LOCATION somewhere else on the earth from where said person is located... Recall, they [MANY] that will be dwelling on the earth at that time (meaning, FOLLOWING "our Rapture") will be RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, even those who "come in His name" but who are NOT vitally connected WITH CHRIST (i.e. they're not actually "saved" persons), and can you see how *their* viewpoint (of the situation they will now be in) might be problematic in a way that hasn't been thus far... yes, some of them (perhaps some being those to whom "God shall SEND" the delusion to, "THAT they should believe the lie/the false/the pseudei"[involving what just happened!]) will be "explaining the situation" in a "Babylonian" kind of way, see. "Come out from among them / 'Come out of her'" doesn't necessarily mean "run for the hills [in a remote location]," in this case, see...

Does any of that ("picture" I'm endeavoring to paint in "practical" terms) make sense, per your question? (

I could say more, but was trying to stay BRIEF. LOL)

Apr 5, 2020

Even when you give a solid definitive correct answer, she will move the goalpost on you. Reread her posts. On a half dozen examples she got the answered she asked for and then turned that into a secondary question completely removing all connection to the first question.

In every typical question there is always a right answer. With her, there are 20 right answers till you finally understand she is pathological!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Romans 11 also says Paul is talking about the Jews THEN. So this is not future in any case.
Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
(Rom 11:12)

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. (Rom 11:25)

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
(Rom 11:26)

For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. (Rom 11:27)

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
(Rom 11:32)

I really don't see how you can say " So this is not future in any case".
Perhaps your presuppositions are blinding you to the text, just as the Jews presuppositions towards the Gospel at this present hour.

Mar 23, 2016
I have one poster here who insisted, maybe it was you, who said it doesnt mean "soon" but quickly and they have seen these developments over the last 40 years. Now 40 years is not quickly by any stretch of the imagination. So I know the theology. A vision given to John for the church so that they would understand what is about to happen was not so they could understand what was about to happen at all. That is your position.
I am the one who suggested (not "insisted" as you claim) that the Greek word taxý (translated "quickly" in Rev 22:7) could mean "suddenly" as opposed to "soon". From the post I submitted (Post #80):

5035 taxý – properly, swift (quick), without unnecessary delay; used of God's promptness characterizing how He has ordered all physical scenes of life to happen on His perfect timetable without unnecessary "delay" (Rev 1:1, 22:6).
[5035 (taxý) does not mean "immediately" or necessarily "in a very short time" but rather "without any delay."]
HELPS Word-studies

And for those who do insist that taxý means "immediately" or "in a very short time", please consider that Revelation 1:1 states The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John

The word "shortly" in Rev 1:1 is the Greek word τάχει.

The τάχει of Rev 1:1 is the noun form and the taxý of Rev 22:7 is the adverb form.

Since we know that the new heavens and new earth of Rev 21:1, the no more death, no more sorrow, nor more pain of Rev 21:4 has not occurred and it has been 1900+ years since the Revelation of Jesus Christ was written, perhaps you can explain why the Greek words taxý and τάχος definitely mean "immediately" or "in a very short time" as opposed to "suddenly".

Apr 5, 2020
I cannot answer your post and the quotes are not right, but the inhabitants have no records as to which tribe they belong to as far as I know. Those records were destroyed in 70 AD. And God does not sovereignly make people get saved. ANd the 7000 who did not bow the knee to Baal was by their choice as well, same as salvation is our choice as well as His. But He chooses everyone so it is mostly our choice.

So, if I was from the Tribe of Judah and 70 AD took place. I somehow survived and relocated and started my life journey all over. I would have mysteriously forgotten I was from the Tribe of Judah? Or that the millions of survivors all forgot which Tribe they were originated from? And forgot to pass that information down to their own children, grandchildren, etc? So in 1948 when the Jews began returning they had no idea which Tribe they come from?

What kind of thought process concludes to this type of assumption?

Besides a broken one.

The Bible is a LINEAGE RECORD and to think any Jew is not aware of their LINEAGE is beyond reasoning!

May 23, 2020
I am the one who suggested (not "insisted" as you claim) that the Greek word taxý (translated "quickly" in Rev 22:7) could mean "suddenly" as opposed to "soon". From the post I submitted (Post #80):

5035 taxý – properly, swift (quick), without unnecessary delay; used of God's promptness characterizing how He has ordered all physical scenes of life to happen on His perfect timetable without unnecessary "delay" (Rev 1:1, 22:6).
[5035 (taxý) does not mean "immediately" or necessarily "in a very short time" but rather "without any delay."]
“Without delay” means soon. A delay of 2000 years does not fulfill the definition.​
And for those who do insist that taxý means "immediately" or "in a very short time", please consider that Revelation 1:1 states The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John

The word "shortly" in Rev 1:1 is the Greek word τάχει.

The τάχει of Rev 1:1 is the noun form and the taxý of Rev 22:7 is the adverb form.

Since we know that the new heavens and new earth of Rev 21:1, the no more death, no more sorrow, nor more pain of Rev 21:4 has not occurred and it has been 1900+ years since the Revelation of Jesus Christ was written, perhaps you can explain why the Greek words taxý and τάχος definitely mean "immediately" or "in a very short time" as opposed to "suddenly".
The resurrection and great judgment have not yet occurred.

Apr 5, 2020
“Without delay” means soon. A delay of 2000 years does not fulfill the definition.​
This why John was preaching his vision from 97 AD to 100 AD in the Church of Ephesus like Polycarp and Irenaeus write about. John immediately began telling his vision to ALL Believers. And we have had this vision for 1900 years now thanks to John's obedience to God!

Irenaeus explaining what I posted:
In his Against Heresies Book III, at the end of chapter 3, Irenaeus says, “Then, again, the Church in Ephesus, founded by Paul, and having John remaining among them permanently until the times of Trajan, is a true witness of the tradition of the apostles.” Trajan began to rule in A.D. 98, and John was alive among the people of Ephesus till that time and perhaps a little while after.

In Against Heresies Book V.30.3, Irenaeus writes (declining to try to identify what the number of the beast signifies), “for if it were necessary that his name should be distinctly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him who beheld the apocalyptic vision. For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, toward the end of Domitian’s reign.” Domitian died in A.D. 96.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
“Without delay” means soon. A delay of 2000 years does not fulfill the definition.
To be clear (for the readers), I am referring to Rev1:1's "G5034 - NOUN [IN QUICKNESS]"... used here also:

Luke 18:8 N-DNS
GRK: αὐτῶν ἐν τάχει πλὴν ὁ
NAS: justice for them quickly. However,
KJV: them speedily. Nevertheless
INT: [the AVENGING] of them in quickness Nevertheless the

[...]

Romans 16:20 N-DNS
GRK: ὑμῶν ἐν τάχει Ἡ χάρις
NAS: The God of peace will soon crush Satan
INT: [crush Satan under the feet] of you in short time The grace

[...]

Revelation 1:1 N-DNS
GRK: γενέσθαι ἐν τάχει καὶ ἐσήμανεν
NAS: must soon take place;
INT: take place in quickness and he signified [it]

Revelation 22:6 N-DNS
GRK: γενέσθαι ἐν τάχει
NAS: the things which must soon take place.
INT: come to pass in quickness

https://biblehub.com/greek/5034.htm

[My post was not covering "G5035 [ADVERB]" other than to point out that in 1:1 it is the NOUN [G5034] and NOT the ADVERBS - https://biblehub.com/text/revelation/1-1.htm ]

Apr 5, 2020
In Against Heresies Book V.30.3, Irenaeus writes (declining to try to identify what the number of the beast signifies), “for if it were necessary that his name should be distinctly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him who beheld the apocalyptic vision. For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, toward the end of Domitian’s reign.” Domitian died in A.D. 96.

^
This portion alone is Irenaeus revealing John knew the Number and Identity of the Beast but kept it secret. But Irenaeus makes it clear John beheld the Apocalyptic Vision.

How would the Church of Ephesus know about John's vision if John did not IMMEDIATELY begin to tell it?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Messiah being "cut off" and "not for himself" can only refer to the Crucifixion. He was certainly not cut off on the day of His triumphal entry. Quite the opposite. He was hailed as Messiah by the crowds.

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off*, but not for himself... (Daniel 9:26)

*יִכָּרֵ֥ת (yik-kā-rêṯ) = shall be cut off

*Strong's Concordance
karath: to cut off, cut down
Original Word: כָּרַת
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: karath
Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-rath')

Definition: to cut off, cut down

Christ's life was cut off and He was cut down when He was crucified. Which was on Nisan 14 in the year 30 AD, when He became "Christ our Passover".
I think you missed the point. The cutting off is definitely the crucifixion. But the text indicates that this occurrs "after" the 62 + 7 weeks. Don't worry about it....you are only 5 or so days off! 😁

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
That would be precisely 30 AD.
" Pontius Pilate is known to have ruled Judea from AD 26–36. The crucifixion took place during a Passover (Mark 14:12), and that fact, plus astronomical data (the Jewish calendar was lunar-based), narrows the field to two dates—April 7, AD 30, and April 3, AD 33. There are scholarly arguments supporting both dates; the later date (AD 33) would require Jesus to have had a longer ministry and to have begun it later. The earlier date (AD 30) would seem more in keeping with what we deduce about the start of Jesus’ ministry from Luke 3:1. "
https://www.gotquestions.org/what-year-did-Jesus-die.html

When you add 453 to 30 you get 483 (that is equal to 69 weeks of years x 7). From the decree of Cyrus (453 BC) to the Crucifixion of Christ (30 AD), Daniel gives us 69 weeks of years. Therefore one week of seven years is in the future.

Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks [7 x 7 = 49 years], and threescore [7 x 3 x 20 = 420 years] and two weeks [2 x 7 = 14 years: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself... (Dan 9:26,27)

49+420 +14 = 483 years. 490-483 = 7 years remaining.

Ptolemy's chronology put the first year of Cyrus at 536 BC. But it was in error by 83 years. So 536-83 = 453.
Its not the decree of Cyrus (1st decree), it is definitely Neh 2 Artaxerxes (3rd decree) the "word", "decree" to rebuild the city and the wall. Take some time and look at some commentaries. Trust me....its Neh 2 and the Triumphal entry.

May 23, 2020
To be clear (for the readers), I am referring to Rev1:1's "G5034 - NOUN [IN QUICKNESS]"... used here also:

Luke 18:8 N-DNS
GRK: αὐτῶν ἐν τάχει πλὴν ὁ
NAS: justice for them quickly. However,
KJV: them speedily. Nevertheless
INT: [the AVENGING] of them in quickness Nevertheless the

[...]

Romans 16:20 N-DNS
GRK: ὑμῶν ἐν τάχει Ἡ χάρις
NAS: The God of peace will soon crush Satan
INT: [crush Satan under the feet] of you in short time The grace

[...]

Revelation 1:1 N-DNS
GRK: γενέσθαι ἐν τάχει καὶ ἐσήμανεν
NAS: must soon take place;
INT: take place in quickness and he signified [it]

Revelation 22:6 N-DNS
GRK: γενέσθαι ἐν τάχει
NAS: the things which must soon take place.
INT: come to pass in quickness

https://biblehub.com/greek/5034.htm

[My post was not covering "G5035 [ADVERB]" other than to point out that in 1:1 it is the NOUN [G5034] and NOT the ADVERBS - https://biblehub.com/text/revelation/1-1.htm ]
Telling a group of churches who were about to go through terrible suffering but none of the communication is for them although when it starts in a few millenia it will go fast makes no sense and is borderline cruel.

Apr 5, 2020
Telling a group of churches who were about to go through terrible suffering but none of the communication is for them although when it starts in a few millenia it will go fast makes no sense and is borderline cruel.

You are in complete denial. I would love for you to come to my office and do a series on mental adaptiveness, awareness, assessment, logic. I believe the findings I would discover could lead to a new subordinate definition to psychological disorders.

Mar 23, 2016

The resurrection and great judgment have not yet occurred.
This is exactly my point, DorothyMae.

For some to insist that "a delay of 2000 years does not fulfill the definition" and that "the resurrection and great judgment have not yet occurred"

yet we know that 1900+ years have passed since the Revelation of Jesus Christ was written

it could be surmised that that the "shortly" (Gr τάχει) of Rev 1:1 and the "quickly (Gr ταχύ) of Rev 22:7 do not mean "immediately" or "in a very short time" from the time it was written.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly (Greek τάχει) come to pass ...

You allow for 1900+ years to pass between the time John wrote the Revelation of Jesus Christ and the resurrection and great judgment, yet insist that "a delay of 2000 does not fulfill the definition".

Apparently, what you understand concerning the word τάχει does not align with what God wants us to understand concerning the word τάχει.

Apr 5, 2020
You have been given hardcore Church Father facts pertaining to John, Domitian, Church of Ephesus, and John's death in 100 AD and you refuse it by asserting your false idealisms that John was sent to Patmos by Nero. There are no Church Fathers or John's own Disciples who even come near to backing that false ridiculous idea. In fact, it was not till the 6th Century Nero came into play. For over 500 years the Early Church knew it was Domitian and John served his remaining years teaching in Ephesus.

The fact you can look at a hardcore fact and dismiss it is astounding and screams complete psychological denial!

Apr 5, 2020
Do you see a therapist?
You claim to work with Scientists. But that is difficult to accept given how easy it is for you to look at a true fact and dismiss it like it never existed. If you did that to a Scientist they would have you dismissed immediately!

And that is based upon not giving a real reason why you dismiss the Church Fathers findings.
The only way you could dismiss a Scientists findings is by having another Theory.
And I struggle to imagine you in discovery/fact finding mode.

Mar 23, 2016
First understand that John wrote the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter (Rev 1:19).

So John wrote the things he saw, the things which are and the the things which shall be hereafter.

You think it is cruel to write about future events that churches in existence in John's day would not understand but it's okay to leave future churches with no instruction?

I believe it would be cruel to leave without instruction the churches which would come into existence "in a few millennia".

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
This is your misunderstanding of the word (in the Greek) for "IS ABOUT [mello G3195 - which means "IS SURE" ( to happen)]"... and the other ones I pointed out.

Why is it "cruel" to tell someone that certain prophecies (getting ready to be described) are "SURE" to take place? (I think that notion seems unreasonable, tbh).

[I believe your reference is to that word in Rev3:10]