The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eternally-gratefull

If God opened our eyes. I think we would see a heavenly host above us, of not only angles. But demons.. in fact, left in our present state, like DC as a child. We would probably be so frieghtened, many may even die because their fear is so deep.

E

eternally-gratefull

When I was stations in Sault Ste marie Michigan, We lived on an old decommissioned air force base housing. While they were getting our house ready, they put us up in a rental. The basement of that rental I am sure had a demon, The door leading outside would always fly open with no one there. We even got one of our big heavy boxes out and tried to block the door. Sure enough, the door flew open and these boxes flew across the floor. (Thank God nothing as damaged.)

While at the Navy Hospital n Corpus Christi Texas, There was an entity of some kind downstairs where the morgue was. She was in a long white dress and had long white hair. She would seem to fly or gluide instead of walk. I saw her 2 times. One time she just stood there and then was gone, the next time I walked toward her. And she moved then disappeared through a wall.

Jul 23, 2018
You might add that the Corinthian Church, a Church filled with the gifts, even tongues, was also one of the most carnal of the Churches we read of in Scripture. (Just to add some balance lol).
So under that error by association salvation would also be a minus?

E

eternally-gratefull

By the way, to the man I have on ignore who is saying DC had a revelation, now in two different threads, A revelation is when one gets a word revealed or spoken to them. What DC had was not a revelation. What is up with people and all these lies or half truths to try to attack those who disagree with you. Man just tell what you believe and stik with it, if you have to lie about others is destroys your own testimony.

Also. We are representing God here, people come in and see this stuff going on, and it just gives of a bad light to the world. As they see us as just like them, not special people of God. Thngs will get heated yes, But lieing and attacking? We all need to look inside sometimes, If you say something that is wrong by mistake. Admit it..

Jul 23, 2018
Only Pentecostals and Charismatics hold to that doctrine. The genuine spiritual gift of tongues was evident during the Apostolic Age. God enabled men to SUPERNATURALLY speak foreign languages which they had never learned or heard. This was primarily to convince unbelieving Jews that the power behind the Gospel was that of God, and this was a sign gift, a miracle.

And as Paul made it crystal clear in 1 Corinthians (1) not all would have the spiritual gift of tongues, (2) those who spoke would need an interpreter within the assembly, (3) Paul would rather have spoken 5 words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues, and (4) women were to keep silence in the churches.
Presenting cherry picked verses to support your notions is error.
Plain blatant error.
Truthfully ,tongues is the normal christian life as is supported by the word of God. Paul said to desire spiritual gifts and above all to prophesy. He said he spoke in tongues more than them all,and that he would pray and sing in the SPIRIT as well as THE UNDERSTANDING.
Clearly in the spirit is void of the understanding.
Paul said my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.
You can not mentally comprehend what is described by paul and continues to this day.

Jul 23, 2018
I said, the snake handlers also believe in that; they read the scripture about the gifts and ask for the gifts and then receive the gifts and amongst the gifts is speaking in tongues.

Blasphemy is also attributing things to God that are not God's.

I have asked you a question but it seems you are ignoring:
Q. Do you believe the tongues that the snake handlers speak is genuine?
When you do that error by association,try and understand that Peter,and king David were men of God and yet flawed.
Dont smear heaven over man's improper use of gifts.

Jul 23, 2018
So those who disrespect a mod will be banned but a mod who calls others names, disrespecting them, will not be banned.
If that is how this works , include me in the banning.
Interesting eg and dc are right there with you.
Disrespecting a mod.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
If God opened our eyes. I think we would see a heavenly host above us, of not only angles. But demons.. in fact, left in our present state, like DC as a child. We would probably be so frieghtened, many may even die because their fear is so deep.
It is an interesting idea.
My experience in Christ, is if I could see the heavenlies I would see His authority over each of
His people and how demons and satan cannot touch them.
I would be overwhelmed at how much He cares for His people and how he walks with them
and brings everything to His purposes.

Thank you Jesus, Amen

Jul 23, 2018
I have seen them in a few churches, and I saw them in my aunt’s church.

And yes, also on TV, but sis, those are real churches..I also know like many churches, their are people who go all out (like those churches) and people who have peaceful not so out there church services where all the stuff does not happen.

I am not saying this happens in your church, if you think I was. Forgive me.. Its been prety heated in here today.
All you prove is ,even if it is God,there will be those to say it ain't.
That's ALL you prove.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."
18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
19 And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.
20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
2 Peter 1:17-21
huh

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The point is the written word tells us the gifts exit.

28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way.
1 Corinthians 12:28-31

4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
6 Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?
1 Corinthians 14:4-6

Paul would like us all to speak in tongues.
So Paul is expressing the expectation we can all speak in tongues
It is this that states simply where we are. Unbelief in Gods word
can always exstinguish its outworking in the believer.
1 Corinthians 14 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Use Spiritual Gifts to Help the Church
14 Love should be the goal of your life, but you should also want to have the gifts that come from the Spirit. And the gift you should want most is to be able to prophesy. 2 I will explain why. Those who have the gift of speaking in a different language are not speaking to people. They are speaking to God. No one understands them—they are speaking secret things through the Spirit. 3 But those who prophesy are speaking to people. They help people grow stronger in faith, and they give encouragement and comfort. 4 Those who speak in a different language are helping only themselves. But those who prophesy are helping the whole church.

5 I would like all of you to have the gift of speaking in different languages. But what I want more is for you to prophesy. Anyone who prophesies is more important than those who can only speak in different languages. However, if they can also interpret those languages, they are as important as the one who prophesies. If they can interpret, then the church can be helped by what they say.

6 Brothers and sisters, will it help you if I come to you speaking in different languages? No, it will help you only if I bring you a new truth or some knowledge, prophecy, or teaching. 7 This is true even with lifeless things that make sounds—like a flute or a harp. If the different musical notes are not made clear, you can’t understand what song is being played. Each note must be played clearly for you to be able to understand the tune. 8 And in a war, if the trumpet does not sound clearly, the soldiers will not know it is time to prepare for fighting.

9 It is the same with you. If you don’t speak clearly in a language people know, they cannot understand what you are saying. You will be talking to the air! 10 It is true that there are many different languages in the world, and they all have meaning. 11 But if I don’t understand the meaning of what someone is saying, it will just be strange sounds to me, and I will sound just as strange to them. 12 That’s why you who want spiritual gifts so much should prefer those gifts that help the church grow stronger.

13 So those who have the gift of speaking in a different language should pray that they can also interpret what they say. 14 If I pray in a different language, my spirit is praying, but my mind does nothing. 15 So what should I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16 You might be praising God with your spirit. But someone there without understanding cannot say “Amen” to your prayer of thanks, because they don’t know what you are saying. 17 You may be thanking God in a good way, but others are not helped.

18 I thank God that my gift of speaking in different kinds of languages is greater than any of yours. 19 But in the church meetings I would rather speak five words that I understand than thousands of words in a different language. I would rather speak with my understanding, so that I can teach others.

20 Brothers and sisters, don’t think like children. In evil things be like babies, but in your thinking you should be like full-grown adults. 21 As the Scriptures[a] say,

“Using those who speak a different language
and using the lips of foreigners,
I will speak to these people.
But even then, they will not obey me.”

This is what the Lord says.

22 And from this we see that the use of different languages shows how God deals with those who don’t believe, not with those who believe. And prophecy shows how God works through those who believe, not through unbelievers. 23 Suppose the whole church meets together and you all speak in different languages. If some people come in who are without understanding or don’t believe, they will say you are crazy. 24 But suppose you are all prophesying and someone comes in who does not believe or who is without understanding. Their sin will be shown to them, and they will be judged by everything you say. 25 The secret things in their heart will be made known. So they will bow down and worship God. They will say, “Without a doubt, God is here with you.”

Your Meetings Should Be Helpful to All
26 So, brothers and sisters, what should you do? When you meet together, one person has a song, another has a teaching, and another has a new truth from God. One person speaks in a different language, and another interprets that language. The purpose of whatever you do should be to help everyone grow stronger in faith. 27 When you meet together, if anyone speaks to the group in a different language, it should be only two or no more than three people who do this. And they should speak one after the other. And someone else should interpret what they say. 28 But if there is no interpreter, then anyone who speaks in a different language should be quiet in the church meeting. They should speak only to themselves and to God.

29 And only two or three prophets should speak. The others should judge what they say. 30 And if a message from God comes to someone who is sitting, the first speaker should be quiet. 31 You can all prophesy one after the other. This way everyone can be taught and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are under the control of the prophets themselves. 33 God is not a God of confusion but a God of peace. This is the rule for all the meetings of God’s people.

34 The women should keep quiet in these church meetings. They are not allowed to speak out but should be under authority, as the Law of Moses says. 35 If there is something they want to know, they should ask their own husbands at home. It is shameful for a woman to speak up like that in the church meeting.

36 God’s teaching did not come from you, and you are not the only ones who have received it. 37 If you think you are a prophet or that you have a spiritual gift, you should understand that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 If you do not accept this, you will not be accepted.

39 So my brothers and sisters, continue to give your attention to prophesying. And don’t stop anyone from using the gift of speaking in different languages. 40 But everything should be done in a way that is right and orderly.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
1 Corinthians 14 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
Tongues are not the greatest gift
14 1a Follow, then, the way of love, while you set your heart on the gifts of the Spirit.

1b-4 The highest gift you can wish for is to be able to speak the messages of God. The man who speaks in a “tongue” addresses not men (for no one understands a word he says) but God: and only in his spirit is he speaking spiritual secrets. But he who preaches the word of God is using his speech for the building up of the faith of one man, the encouragement of another or the consolation of another. The speaker in a “tongue” builds up his own soul, but the preacher builds up the Church of God.

5 I should indeed like you all to speak with “tongues”, but I would much rather that you all preached the word of God. For the preacher of the word does a greater work than the speaker with “tongues”, unless of course the latter interprets his word for the benefit of the Church.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Speaking in tongues would be “stilled” (1 Cor 13:8).
Paul says Christians are to desire spiritual gifts and especially the gift of prophesy. (1 Cor 14:1)

"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." 1 Cor 14:1

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Here is more of just your opinion and nothing with scripture.
Tongues ceased and there is no more.
1 Cor 14:1-2
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Presenting cherry picked verses to support your notions is error.
I have not cherry picked verses, but given the essence of what Paul was teaching. We could go through 1 Corinthians 12-14 to see that. However, if you believe that tongues are for you, then there is nothing more to be said.

Mar 28, 2016
Garee, do you know what flesh means?

And if God is giving man rest from striving to obey law, how is this seen? How can we rest from failure to be perfect before God who is Holy?

Just those 2 questions please.
Thanks for the reply an opportunity to offer my opinion.

Corrupted flesh as that seen is considered sinful .It is why the Son of man put it on for a short period, in order to condemn sin in the flesh .In that way the demonstration can be seen as a witness to the whole world for all time.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

No demonstration, no witness, no condemnation.

The Son of man Jesus of his own flesh declared it cannot profit, as spiritual. It is the unseen eternal Spirit is that does give spirit life. (lamb of God slain from before the foundation of the world(walk by faith). Giving us eternal life to our corrupted spirits.

We can rest as we are perfected if we mix the faith of God in what we do hear and believe. When we do mix faith (believe him not seen) we have entered that rest as we eat the daily bread of His will.. Chapter 4 of Hebrews shows us that wonderful truth that he applies to our account on his behalf. Rest in our work yoked with Christ the better thing that accompanies salvation. (Hebrew 6) .

Mixing faith is the gospel key that unlocks the gates of hell as we rest in the finished work of Christ. He is our sabbath rest . He promises us if he has begun the good work in us giving us his rest .he will finish it to the end as our "born again confidence". (Phil 1;6)

The idea of "mixing faith" as to how it is accomplished must be looked into .Many from my experience dismiss the idea that God needs faith to work out his will. The idea of mixing faith is foreign to most even though god does perform it in them
You could say a faith, rest gospel is the mixture of love.

Hebrews 4:1-11 King James Version (KJV) Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:(no faith) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (no faith)

Mar 28, 2016
1 Cor 14:1-2
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
According to the law that describes the tongues doctrine. What does the sign of tongues confirm and who is it directed at?

Mar 28, 2016
Sure.....and they leap from HILL TO HILL, MOVE LIKE THE LIGHTNING etc.....I believe there is something to it
Administering spirits that jump from hill to hill like they had literal clay feet? I don't think that is what those a parables represent.

Our struggles is not against, and neither is it supported by flesh and blood, the things seen .They are temporal. Not a tool for mixing faith.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eterna

Status
Not open for further replies.