The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Paul says Christians are to desire spiritual gifts and especially the gift of prophesy. (1 Cor 14:1)

"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." 1 Cor 14:1
You don't know that Paul said that when tongues were still a gift given?

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
1 Cor 14:1-2
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
Paul said tongues would cease, and tongues has ceased.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Is it possible to get tongue tied when speaking in tongues?

7seasrekeyed

Yes tongues (God's word) as new prophecy has ceased. The perfect tongue as the existing revelation of God sealed up till the end.... no
dude get out of the OT and understand what NT prophecy means

it does not generally mean the FORETELLING but rather expounding on scripture or giving insight to what is written

of course if you didn't have the agenda that you have, you might know that

not getting into it with you cause it is way past boring by now since your reasoning is circular at best, but in case someone else is persuaded by your umpteen posts telling us there is no more prophecy and saying tongues is prophecy

tiresome

S

SpoonJuly

thats funny I did not see your name mentioned in my comment to the sister but must be under conviction
In thread 551 you referred to some as "bullies".
In thread 235 and 240 you referred to some as "atheist hiding as Christians"
This was in reference to those who disagree with what you believe.
In my mind that is name calling.

This thread got way out of hand and I must admit I had a part in the process and for that I am sorry for all I have offended.
But as a mod, CS1, you should have stepped in and cooled things down and you did not.
You joined in and only added fuel to the fire that that was out of control.

I stand by my belief that a mod should never take sides in a discussion. One can not moderate and take sides at the same time.

I believe that this thing called "tongues" is foolishness. It is only pleasing the flesh and has no place in the worship or service of God. I believe that those who are involved are just deceived.
Not saying that to offend, just letting you know what I believe.

Now with all this said, I will say one more thing.
I believe that the owners of this site have been negligent in allowing CS1 to participate in this discussion as a moderator.

I will probably receive a lot of those red faces and condemning responses. So be it.

The Mod may delete my account now because I just don't want to be a part of this anymore.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Yes tongues (God's word) as new prophecy has ceased. The perfect tongue as the existing revelation of God sealed up till the end.... no
Tongues has ceased. Tongues were a gift given during the laying of the foundation, and stopped since the foundation has been laid. Tongues were a sign to the Jews, and the sign was given during the laying of the foundation.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
This is the most thorough and true explanation of speaking in tongues that you can read.

I thank God through Jesus,

that God has revealed this to me.

May God's truth keep you close to Him and Jesus Christ.

In the Old Testament, we read this about tongues...

Isaiah 28:11 Very well then, with foreign lips

and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

12 to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest";

and, "This is the place of repose"—

but they would not listen.

Now read what the New Testament says about tongues...

1 Corinthians 14:21 In the Law it is written:

"Through men of strange tongues

and through the lips of foreigners

I will speak to this people,

but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

The nowadays tongue speakers today use their so-called tongue speaking for themselves and other believers in their church, they do not use it for unbelievers as the Bible tells us it is for. Do you see unbelievers coming to God because they hear foreigners to them speaking the words of God in their many languages? No. God can make anything happen, yet tongue speaking is not happening as it did when Jesus and the Apostles and Prophets were laying the foundation.

We can see from the scriptures that speaking in tongues was prophesied about in the Old Testament, that the Lord would speak to the Jews, as stated in Isaiah 28. In the New Testament, we can see that this is a fulfilled prophecy, as confirmed by Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:21. Since the biblical speaking in tongues were for a sign, and God gave the sign for the purpose as prophesied in the Old Testament, it would make sense to believe that speaking in tongues is a gift that would stop.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
So under that error by association salvation would also be a minus?
No. I wouldn't say association = causation, but neither do the gifts guarantee freedom from carnality...if anything, pride easily seeps in.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
This is the most thorough and true explanation of speaking in tongues that you can read.

I thank God through Jesus,

that God has revealed this to me.

May God's truth keep you close to Him and Jesus Christ.

In the Old Testament, we read this about tongues...

Isaiah 28:11 Very well then, with foreign lips

and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

12 to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest";

and, "This is the place of repose"—

but they would not listen.

Now read what the New Testament says about tongues...

1 Corinthians 14:21 In the Law it is written:

"Through men of strange tongues

and through the lips of foreigners

I will speak to this people,

but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

The nowadays tongue speakers today use their so-called tongue speaking for themselves and other believers in their church, they do not use it for unbelievers as the Bible tells us it is for. Do you see unbelievers coming to God because they hear foreigners to them speaking the words of God in their many languages? No. God can make anything happen, yet tongue speaking is not happening as it did when Jesus and the Apostles and Prophets were laying the foundation.

We can see from the scriptures that speaking in tongues was prophesied about in the Old Testament, that the Lord would speak to the Jews, as stated in Isaiah 28. In the New Testament, we can see that this is a fulfilled prophecy, as confirmed by Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:21. Since the biblical speaking in tongues were for a sign, and God gave the sign for the purpose as prophesied in the Old Testament, it would make sense to believe that speaking in tongues is a gift that would stop.
This explanation does not recognise God is the creator and is not limited by His vessel or His message.
As cc demonstrates some call themselves saved yet have no desire to walk like Jesus or even understand
His heart and His ways.

It did strike me as odd at first when David loved thinking about Gods law and precepts. Until you realise
the law is there to keep people safe, to bring blessing, to anoint and uplift the poor and the down trodden,
to make a whole group know their responsibilities and exercise them

The gifts of the Spirit are a further working out of this very reality.
Those who want to limit God will always claim things are predictable, and controlled, and conform to
these methods and routes, when God choosing the wild man, the man of passion and inspiration to
upset the rules based conformists and shake it up. But those who hate being shaken, and want predictable
security will always complain. So it is with the people of the Spirit, they are like the wind, you hear it and
feel it but you do not know where it is going.

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
John 3:8

So maybe ones desire for control indicates where ones heart is rooted.

CS1

May 23, 2012
In thread 551 you referred to some as "bullies".
In thread 235 and 240 you referred to some as "atheist hiding as Christians"
This was in reference to those who disagree with what you believe.
In my mind that is name calling.

This thread got way out of hand and I must admit I had a part in the process and for that I am sorry for all I have offended.
But as a mod, CS1, you should have stepped in and cooled things down and you did not.
You joined in and only added fuel to the fire that that was out of control.

I stand by my belief that a mod should never take sides in a discussion. One can not moderate and take sides at the same time.

I believe that this thing called "tongues" is foolishness. It is only pleasing the flesh and has no place in the worship or service of God. I believe that those who are involved are just deceived.
Not saying that to offend, just letting you know what I believe.

Now with all this said, I will say one more thing.
I believe that the owners of this site have been negligent in allowing CS1 to participate in this discussion as a moderator.

I will probably receive a lot of those red faces and condemning responses. So be it.

The Mod may delete my account now because I just don't want to be a part of this anymore.

again you attack the owner while forgetting you have in times the past said thing that should have banned you but were not CC does not look to ban, in fact, the site owner is a very gracious person. You say you're sorry after the fact just as you have in other threads where you attacked and insulted many others including a mod. As a mod, I too am a CC member and can speak on any thread. Although most mod's do not that is their choice.

again, yes i did say and referred to some here as bullies and atheist hiding as Christians. That is well-known and yet I did not mention your name but you think it has to do with you that is on you.

"I believe that this thing called "tongues" is foolishness." you said Ok. that is your opinion but you attack many here who do not see it that way and when they bring spiritual you do not agree with you have resulted to name calling. Mod do not delete accounts and they never have. You are free to leave anytime you want.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
New knowledge ceased. The Bible is finished; which proves prophecies has ceased.
So what are you using to type your posts, if new knowledge ceased in about 55 AD? How are you even communicating in English?

Your reasoning is faulty... I'll follow up in a separate post.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Tongues has ceased. Tongues were a gift given during the laying of the foundation, and stopped since the foundation has been laid. Tongues were a sign to the Jews, and the sign was given during the laying of the foundation.
Your argument (in bold) is refuted by the events of Acts 10, wherein Cornelius and the others spoke in tongues upon their salvation in the absence of any unsaved Jews.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
New knowledge ceased. The Bible is finished; which proves prophecies has ceased.
The closure of the canon of Scripture does not prove that prophecies have ceased. That's a logical fallacy and is not supported by anything in Scripture; 1 Cor 13:8 notwithstanding.

It is ludicrous to argue that Paul's words to the Corinthians ("Be eager to ... prophesy") were only relevant for about a decade or two, and that despite three chapters devoted to the gifts of the Spirit, they were a waste of time because not a single Corinthian believer's prophecy, word of knowledge, or message in tongues is recorded in Scripture. The Holy Spirit is smarter than that.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Hearing the "tongues will cease" when revelation is written argument is so bad. TERRIBLE argument
I need a vomit bag im so sick of hearing it. IM SICK OF IT

stop using that argument its TRASH

It says when they cease. WHEN we see face to face. CLEARLY talking about the Lord coming back. NOT talking about a BOOK, the Bible is a collection of BOOKS, inspired by the Holy Spirit YES, but a BOOK does not have a FACE.

Furthermore: The Bible HAS NOT HELPED US ONE BIT in unity, there are thousands of different cults and opinions.

And KNOWLEDGE has not ceased, and Daniel specifically prophecies that in teh LAST DAYS KNOWLEDGE shall increase............................

Shut it down. If you dont speak in tongues thats fine. If you think everyone that does is crazy thats fine. But what you are trying to preach does NOT line up with the Bible.

Nothing about "perfect" being the Bible completed in 90AD that nobody had a complete version of until centuries later, the Bible that most people couldnt even READ back then.

What good is a bible if you CANT READ?

I cant remember who it was but someone here once said that it seems like we've gone from "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" to -> Father Son and Holy Bible.

Holy Spirit is completely left out of the picture! And according to some people, the devil has all the power to do all the signs and wonders, he is doing things constantly, yet God's spirit? naah. He aint doing nothing today.

Needless to say, i am SALTY:

CS1

May 23, 2012
Hearing the "tongues will cease" when revelation is written argument is so bad. TERRIBLE argument
I need a vomit bag im so sick of hearing it. IM SICK OF IT

stop using that argument its TRASH

It says when they cease. WHEN we see face to face. CLEARLY talking about the Lord coming back. NOT talking about a BOOK, the Bible is a collection of BOOKS, inspired by the Holy Spirit YES, but a BOOK does not have a FACE.

Furthermore: The Bible HAS NOT HELPED US ONE BIT in unity, there are thousands of different cults and opinions.

And KNOWLEDGE has not ceased, and Daniel specifically prophecies that in teh LAST DAYS KNOWLEDGE shall increase............................

Shut it down. If you dont speak in tongues thats fine. If you think everyone that does is crazy thats fine. But what you are trying to preach does NOT line up with the Bible.

Nothing about "perfect" being the Bible completed in 90AD that nobody had a complete version of until centuries later, the Bible that most people couldnt even READ back then.

What good is a bible if you CANT READ?

I cant remember who it was but someone here once said that it seems like we've gone from "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" to -> Father Son and Holy Bible.

Holy Spirit is completely left out of the picture! And according to some people, the devil has all the power to do all the signs and wonders, he is doing things constantly, yet God's spirit? naah. He aint doing nothing today.

Needless to say, i am SALTY:

please stop being rude. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.