The Cambridge Declaration

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is the Cambridge Declaration biblical?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I believe them all to be the Word of God. Sorry not going to get into a discussion on this, just too strange.
They can’t be all the word of God since they contain different words and different truths. Only one can be a faithful witness or none.

TooFastTurtle

Apr 10, 2019
It was the belief for hundreds of years for all Christians until the counterfeits came out and started beguiling people through philosophy and vain deceit. God works and not long thereafter, Satan counterfeits. It has been that way since the garden.
Many people used the same argument about the KJV. They were suspicious of the KJV coming out and stuck with old versions

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
There are plenty of people bowing down to literal idols, shaped like men or monsters out there. There is no need to allegorize idolatry beyond the principles taught in scripture.

Why would you think the purpose of this letter-- the only letter we have from most of the original 12 apostles in scripture, would merely be about outward appearances of concerns only to human beings? When God gave man meat to eat, He told Noah, ancestor of the Gentiles (and Hebrews) not to eat meat with the lifeblood in it.

They wrote to abstain from the pollutions of idols. The Old Testament had already revealed that the earth is Yahweh's and everything in it. Jesus said all authority had been given to Him on heaven and on earth and He sent His apostles to teach the nations.

He said to abstain from fornication. Leviticus 18 shows us that the Gentiles were driven out of the land over sexual sins, and God created marriage before Noah and Abraham.
Hebrews 6
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ
, let us go on unto perfection(spiritual maturity); not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
In the era of these new versions since 1881, the Age of Laodicea, the Church has gone away from Scripture and is full of emotional blah and preachers who claim more authority than God’s word. Not only that, but the Church is not going out preaching the gospel like those of old.

I’ll give you an example of what I mean. Preacher reads scripture and follows that by saying, “a better way to say this is...or a better translation is...” This makes the preacher final authority rather than God’s word.

Final authority is lost with many versions.
Wow! I've seen it all now!

To even "think" that the God and Father of Jesus Christ isn't able in giving us poor "flesh units", an understanding of "the printed Word?" No matter the version?

Amazing!

Poor poor Abraham!

Poor Jesus!

To "think/imagine" where Christendom could be if they only had the KJV! Eh? :p

Must have you walking around shaking your head and muttering to yourself: "If they only had the KJV!" "If they only had the KJV!" "Then, they would have THE TRUTH!"

Tis a pretty "fragile" house of cards you got there! Best be careful! Because a small "puff" of "God's Holy Wind", might come and blow yer house down!

-jez sayin' ;)

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Wow! I've seen it all now!

To even "think" that the God and Father of Jesus Christ isn't able in giving us poor "flesh units", an understanding of "the printed Word?" No matter the version?

Amazing!

Poor poor Abraham!

Poor Jesus!

To "think/imagine" where Christendom could be if they only had the KJV! Eh? :p

Must have you walking around shaking your head and muttering to yourself: "If they only had the KJV!" "If they only had the KJV!" "Then, they would have THE TRUTH!"

Tis a pretty "fragile" house of cards you got there! Best be careful! Because a small "puff" of "God's Holy Wind", might come and blow yer house down!

-jez sayin' ;)
Abraham had exactly what he needed. Fragile? The Bible that gave us the greatest missionary movement in the history of the world? The Bible that is responsible for millions upon millions saved lives? The Bible that is the best selling book of all time?

The greatest doctrine of all is that God’s word is truth, all of it, every word.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I would bet the KJV will out live all the new versions.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
They can’t be all the word of God since they contain different words and different truths. Only one can be a faithful witness or none.
Fallacy: false dichotomy. You really need to stop using bad arguments to defend your position.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Fallacy: false dichotomy. You really need to stop using bad arguments to defend your position.
God’s not the author of confusion. There can’t be more than one true and faithful Bible. That’s not a fallacy brother.

Are you claiming there can be multiple true, pure and faithful Bibles?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
God’s not the author of confusion.
True, but this argument works against the KJV as well, as it was NOT the first Bible in English. Again, you would do better to avoid bad arguments.

You are free to believe whatever you like about the KJV, but if you want to debate the matter, stick to arguments that actually support your position.

There can’t be more than one true and faithful Bible. That’s not a fallacy brother.
Because the Bible in English is translated from other languages, and there is often more than one legitimate way to translate a passage from one language into another language, there can indeed be more than one version in English that is "true and faithful". Therefore, your assertion, "They can’t be all the word of God since they contain different words and different truths. Only one can be a faithful witness or none" IS a false dichotomy.

Are you claiming there can be multiple true, pure and faithful Bibles?
Answered above.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
True, but this argument works against the KJV as well, as it was NOT the first Bible in English. Again, you would do better to avoid bad arguments.

You are free to believe whatever you like about the KJV, but if you want to debate the matter, stick to arguments that actually support your position.

Because the Bible in English is translated from other languages, and there is often more than one legitimate way to translate a passage from one language into another language, there can indeed be more than one version in English that is "true and faithful". Therefore, your assertion, "They can’t be all the word of God since they contain different words and different truths. Only one can be a faithful witness or none" IS a false dichotomy.

Answered above.
Individual words are important to God, not just the overall meaning. Therefore, only one Bible is true or none is true since they contain different words.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Individual words are important to God, not just the overall meaning. Therefore, only one Bible is true or none is true since they contain different words.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
how do u know its kjv thats right and not the ones before it like tyndale and geneva bible?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
how do u know its kjv thats right and not the ones before it like tyndale and geneva bible?
I believe those Bibles were being used in the purification process. The seven English versions that make the English Bibles up to and including the Authorized Version fit the description in Psalm 12:6 of the words of the Lord being "purified seven times" are Tyndale's, Matthew's, Coverdale's, the Great Bible (printed by Whitechurch, and also called Cranmer's Bible), the Geneva Bible, the Bishops' Bible, and the King James Bible.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
I believe those Bibles were being used in the purification process. The seven English versions that make the English Bibles up to and including the Authorized Version fit the description in Psalm 12:6 of the words of the Lord being "purified seven times" are Tyndale's, Matthew's, Coverdale's, the Great Bible (printed by Whitechurch, and also called Cranmer's Bible), the Geneva Bible, the Bishops' Bible, and the King James Bible.
just wow. thats amazing you can believe that. go look up biblehub for psalm 12:6.

its written in hebrew not english, definately not a word there about english translations, a language that didnt even exist when the psalm was written. you guys are looking at the issue only from the kjvonly presupposition perspective here in the 2019 instead of historically

John146

Jan 13, 2016
just wow. thats amazing you can believe that. go look up biblehub for psalm 12:6.

its written in hebrew not english, definately not a word there about english translations, a language that didnt even exist when the psalm was written. you guys are looking at the issue only from the kjvonly presupposition perspective here in the 2019 instead of historically
An excerpt from William Kinney:

God sent the Lord Jesus Christ at the perfect time in history. When He completed what He came to do, He said, "it is finished" and then the work was complete. What happened through that work still lives on today.

Just as God did with the INCARNATE Word, so He has done with His WRITTEN Word. God's translation work for the English Bible was completed with the King James Bible. It happened in the fulness of time.

The King James Bible came at the perfect time in history, when English was at the perfect stage of development and when the hearts of the people were prepared to accept it. The Reformation and the Puritan movement were in full swing and the nations were soon to witness the greatest, world wide missionary outreach in history.

In 1611 the English language was spoken by a mere 3% of the world's population, but today English has become the closest thing to a universal language in history. He used the King James Bible to carry His words to the far ends of the earth, where it was translated into hundreds of languages by English and American missionaries for over 300 years. The sun never set on the British empire. It was even taken to space by American astronauts and read from there.

God knew He would use England, its language and the King James Bible to accomplish all these things long before they happened. It is the only Bible God has providentially used in this way. It is the only Bible believed by thousands upon thousands of believers to be the inspired, infallible and 100% true words of God.

Oct 30, 2019
The KJV only argument, apart from being wacky, is also amazingly Anglo-centric and racist. What happened to "a blessing to all nations"? The Bible has been translated into hundreds of languages by wonderful God inspired people.

All these foreign Christians are not learning the Word of God though apparently :)

Chester

May 23, 2016
I voted "no" -- if you can give a Scripture that says we are saved by "faith alone" I might change my mind.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I voted "no" -- if you can give a Scripture that says we are saved by "faith alone" I might change my mind.
Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The KJV only argument, apart from being wacky, is also amazingly Anglo-centric and racist. What happened to "a blessing to all nations"? The Bible has been translated into hundreds of languages by wonderful God inspired people.

All these foreign Christians are not learning the Word of God though apparently :)
Obviously you did not read my above post. I’ll restate:

In 1611 the English language was spoken by a mere 3% of the world's population, but today English has become the closest thing to a universal language in history. He used the King James Bible to carry His words to the far ends of the earth, where it was translated into hundreds of languages by English and American missionaries for over 300 years. The sun never set on the British empire. It was even taken to space by American astronauts and read from there.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Amen, we are justified by believing - which is faith! and it is not by works - yes and amen! but this doesn't say it is by "faith alone" -- ?????