The Church of Laodicea?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
The Lukewarm Church
14 “And to the [i]angel of the church [j]of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither [k]cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.[l] Therefore be [m]zealous and repent.20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’ ”

What stands out to me in this passage is that Jesus LOVES at least some in this Church. He rebukes and disciplines His Children that He loves.

This may be more about how they are going to show up in Heaven. As refugees with NOTHING, or will they have treasures sent up ahead, by doing the works HE wanted them to do, NOT THEIR works?

We all need to do a serious study on rewards, treasures, and positions in Heaven. Just getting to Heaven is of course wonderful, but eternity is a looooooooooooooong time. Those "ruling" with Christ are going to be Kings and Priests over who exactly? You wanna be a King and Priest, or the least in the Kingdom?

As for is this Church for today? Yes! But so are all the other Churches, as elements of all are present, and have been present throughout history.

Dec 26, 2018
The Lukewarm Church
14 “And to the [i]angel of the church [j]of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither [k]cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.[l] Therefore be [m]zealous and repent.20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’ ”

What stands out to me in this passage is that Jesus LOVES at least some in this Church. He rebukes and disciplines His Children that He loves.

This may be more about how they are going to show up in Heaven. As refugees with NOTHING, or will they have treasures sent up ahead, by doing the works HE wanted them to do, NOT THEIR works?

We all need to do a serious study on rewards, treasures, and positions in Heaven. Just getting to Heaven is of course wonderful, but eternity is a looooooooooooooong time. Those "ruling" with Christ are going to be Kings and Priests over who exactly? You wanna be a King and Priest, or the least in the Kingdom?

As for is this Church for today? Yes! But so are all the other Churches, as elements of all are present, and have been present throughout history.

I agree, which brings me to this question...

If God desires us to be hot or cold, and not luke warm....what do you believe he is saying? Does it mean that we do not preach enough condemnation of sin?making us cold? Definitely not...Does it mean that God simply wants us to choose him, or not? No way.....God wants all to be saved. So what does that leave?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I agree, which brings me to this question...

If God desires us to be hot or cold, and not luke warm....what do you believe he is saying? Does it mean that we do not preach enough condemnation of sin?making us cold? Definitely not...Does it mean that God simply wants us to choose him, or not? No way.....God wants all to be saved. So what does that leave?
The church period right before this:

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Dec 26, 2018
It started approx. in 1881...just saying.;)
It seems to me....especially for those that study right division, that God is referring to Law or Grace, Hot or Cold.....God speaks of hypocrisy, and we know this NOT to be doctrine coming from dispensationalist....for we are accused of hyper-grace etc.....so who are the hypocrits? Those that apply works/repentance as a prerequisite for salvation? So they may be fruit inspectors amoung the church? While having a beam in their own eye....hypocrisy. ?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I do like what @PennEd said.

As for as the rest, Lord help us! I hope we're not gonna sit around and poke each other with our swords.....lol! :giggle:

U

UnderGrace

It seems to me....especially for those that study right division, that God is referring to Law or Grace, Hot or Cold.....God speaks of hypocrisy, and we know this NOT to be doctrine coming from dispensationalist....for we are accused of hyper-grace etc.....so who are the hypocrits? Those that apply works/repentance as a prerequisite for salvation? So they may be fruit inspectors amoung the church? While having a beam in their own eye....hypocrisy. ?

The lukewarm are the self-righteous.

They think they have it all together spiritually but really they are in need and cannot see it.

....."I have need of nothing"

Let us not make the mistake and say they are not saved....because it does not say that....but it does say Jesus will chasten them

Dec 12, 2013
The 7 churches in revelation represent the types of churches that will be on earth during the "church age" ...I personally do not believe they represent dispensations..........We find all 7 examples on the planet to this very day.....

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Let us not make the mistake and say they are not saved...
Well according to the description of this church by Christ, it would appear that they were wealthy professing Christians but not actually saved. Please note:

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art [1] wretched, and [2] miserable, and [3] poor, and [4] blind, and [5] naked...

All these characteristics must be seen for their spiritual application, since Christ was NOT within these church members. He was standing outside the doors of their hearts asking that they be opened for Him to come in.

[1] wretched = without spiritual life
[2] miserable = without hope of eternal life
[3] poor = without the riches of Christ
[4] blind = without the Holy Spirit
[5] naked = without Christ's robe of righteousness

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The 7 churches in revelation represent the types of churches that will be on earth during the "church age" ...I personally do not believe they represent dispensations..........We find all 7 examples on the planet to this very day.....
Yes, but I see the word church to mean the body of Christ as a whole, not churches.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
What do you guys think? Is that us?
The word laodicea means the civil rights of the people. The church is more concerned with personal rights than pleasing God. God is left outside and the world is welcomed in.

U

UnderGrace

Well according to the description of this church by Christ, it would appear that they were wealthy professing Christians but not actually saved. Please note:

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art [1] wretched, and [2] miserable, and [3] poor, and [4] blind, and [5] naked...

All these characteristics must be seen for their spiritual application, since Christ was NOT within these church members. He was standing outside the doors of their hearts asking that they be opened for Him to come in.

W

Why would they even be considered "lukewarm?

One is either saved or not saved.

He says I know your "deeds"

I disagree He is addressing believers, this is a description of their deeds, which are diminished by their self-righteousness....they are caught up in their religious performance, they think they are doing so well, but they depend on themselves not on Him, they have forgotten who they are in Christ.

In the bible church"ecclessia"is the called out assembly

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write

So these unbelievers have an angel?

Why would he be chastening those that are not His?

Dec 12, 2013
Yes, but I see the word church to mean the body of Christ as a whole, not churches.
NAAAAA......on the earth there is churches (plural) each is an autonomous body of believers with equal right and authority before the throne....IN heaven there is ONE body of believers....

Dec 12, 2013

A. There is no such thing as lost men being identified as Christians in the biblical sense
B. No one will convince me that Jesus addressed them as a Church if they were lost men

A way ward church in need of repentance yes.....fully agree

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It started approx. in 1881...just saying.;)
Does this need to be another KJV-only thread? Really? I guess the Church just doesn't exist in any area that doesn't speak English.

... smh

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
A. There is no such thing as lost men being identified as Christians in the biblical sense
B. No one will convince me that Jesus addressed them as a Church if they were lost men
The parable of the wheat and the tares clearly tells us that within the churches there will be both saved and unsaved. The tares outwardly are very similar to the wheat, but quite different in their character. We have millions today who classify themselves as *Christians* (having been baptized as infants) but who have not experienced the New Birth.

Since Christ was standing outside the door of the church at Laodicea, what you do think was the spiritual condition of those inside? Regenerated Christians cannot be blind and naked, let alone any of the other deficiencies. That is because they have the indwelling Holy Spirit (to see the Kingdom of God and the deep things of God) and the imputed righteousness of Christ (replacing their own filthy rags). The parable of the Wedding Feast and the man without the wedding garment is apropos.

Dec 12, 2013
The parable of the wheat and the tares clearly tells us that within the churches there will be both saved and unsaved. The tares outwardly are very similar to the wheat, but quite different in their character. We have millions today who classify themselves as *Christians* (having been baptized as infants) but who have not experienced the New Birth.

Since Christ was standing outside the door of the church at Laodicea, what you do think was the spiritual condition of those inside? Regenerated Christians cannot be blind and naked, let alone any of the other deficiencies. That is because they have the indwelling Holy Spirit (to see the Kingdom of God and the deep things of God) and the imputed righteousness of Christ (replacing their own filthy rags). The parable of the Wedding Feast and the man without the wedding garment is apropos.
You might want to rethink your hard fast rules......who was told the following....

Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Dec 26, 2018

A way ward church in need of repentance yes.....fully agree

They think they have it all together spiritually but really they are in need and cannot see it.

Let us not make the mistake and say they are not saved....because it does not say that....but it does say Jesus will chasten them
I agree, but what about “I will spew you out of my mouth”.....I can’t imagine that is the bema seat

Dec 26, 2018

I do agree, I assume it is written to the beliver.....but “spew you out of my mouth”