The Commandments

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Exodus 20:3-4

1. You shall have no other gods before me
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything ...

I am puzzled about the first two of the ten commandments.
Why are there two? Are there really other gods? The bible says not. Many times, for example Isaiah 45:5, Psalm 86:10, Deut 32:39. So the first commandment is saying, in effect do not worship idols. For what can any other god be, if not a fake god? And a fake God or a fake religion is an idol.
So why have commandment number two? Is it necessary to distinguish different kinds of fake God?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Commandment one can cover so much, which is why God worded it so. Number one God is money. If you love money so much you'll do anything for it, it is your god. You will trust it to take care of you. The same can be said for your love of acceptance and fame. That is why God said if we love anything more than Him, we are useless to Him.

Commandment two pertains to anything tangible that you relate to the God of heaven, a picture, a statue, a cross, a golden bull, etc. Even a luck charm could be a form of god, or a blarney stone, or a four leaf clover, etc. :)(y):cool:

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So why have commandment number two? Is it necessary to distinguish different kinds of fake God?
Those are two separate commandments because they have two separate applications. I will use the Holman Bible (just for clarity).

1. Holman Christian Standard Bible
Do not have other gods besides Me.
This is a commandment to cease and desist from polytheism.
There were many Egyptian and Canaanite gods and goddesses, and the Israelites were constantly falling into idolatry. Today we have Mary in the Catholic church who has literally become a goddess. So one could venerate Mary without having an image of her in front of him, by praying to her or singing her praises.

2. Holman Christian Standard Bible
Do not make an idol for yourself, whether in the shape of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth.
This is a commandment to cease and desist from idolatry.
And of course idols are false gods and goddesses (not in reality for Christians who know they are demons, but very real to pagans who worship them). And no sooner had Moses delayed coming down from Sinai, than the Israelites begged Aaron to make a golden calf (which he foolishly did) and they began to worship this idol. They had been so influenced by the culture and religion of Egypt, that they sinned against God within days of leaving their bondage.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
You shall have no other gods before me... Because there are no other gods
You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything... Because there's no need to create something to worship

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

Why are there two? Are there really other gods? The bible says not. Many times, for example Isaiah 45:5, Psalm 86:10, Deut 32:39. So the first commandment is saying, in effect do not worship idols. For what can any other god be, if not a fake god? And a fake God or a fake religion is an idol.
Once again you have responded to you post within your own text. God bless you always.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for your replies guys! Always good to hear what the saints have to say!

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018

Why are there two? Are there really other gods? The bible says not.

Not quite. There are many other gods, but they simply are false gods whether completely invented by man or possibly related to fallen angels claiming to be gods.

Exo_12:12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.