The Curtain Of The Sanctuary Tore Matthew 27:50

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and[e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (End Quote)

This curtain was real and symbolic. The sanctuary was previously
accessible to priests only. Now it was open to everyone. Jesus offered Himself
as atonement for the sin of the world. God was now open to the world through
Jesus not only priests. The old law was shattered and faith by grace began.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Even the priests were unable to access the Holy of Holies; only the high priest could, and only once a year, and never without blood. Jesus' death made the HoH accessible to all by His blood.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020
Even the priests were unable to access the Holy of Holies; only the high priest could, and only once a year, and never without blood. Jesus' death made the HoH accessible to all by His blood.
I agree, I didn't go into that detail, although I was aware of it, thamks

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
At 3 1/2 " thick and 30 ft tall being ripped from top to bottom, it had to be an act of God.

Mar 23, 2016
I agree, I didn't go into that detail, although I was aware of it, thamks
Yes, the curtain that was torn from top to bottom was the curtain which separated the holy place from the holy of holies.

Hebrews 9 also gives some detail ...

Hebrews 9:

6 When these things were all in place, the priests regularly entered the first room as they performed their religious duties.

7 But only the high priest ever entered the Most Holy Place, and only once a year. And he always offered blood for his own sins and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance.

8 By these regulations the Holy Spirit revealed that the entrance to the Most Holy Place was not freely open as long as the Tabernacle and the system it represented were still in use.

9 This is an illustration pointing to the present time. For the gifts and sacrifices that the priests offer are not able to cleanse the consciences of the people who bring them.

10 For that old system deals only with food and drink and various cleansing ceremonies--physical regulations that were in effect only until a better system could be established.

11 So Christ has now become the High Priest over all the good things that have come. He has entered that greater, more perfect Tabernacle in heaven, which was not made by human hands and is not part of this created world.

12 With his own blood--not the blood of goats and calves--he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.

13 Under the old system, the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a young cow could cleanse people's bodies from ceremonial impurity.

14 Just think how much more the blood of Christ will purify our consciences from sinful deeds so that we can worship the living God. For by the power of the eternal Spirit, Christ offered himself to God as a perfect sacrifice for our sins.

15 That is why he is the one who mediates a new covenant between God and people, so that all who are called can receive the eternal inheritance God has promised them. For Christ died to set them free from the penalty of the sins they had committed under that first covenant.

And Hebrews 10 tells us we enter the heavenly holy of holies through the great High Priest ... the Lord Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 10:

19 And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven's Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus.

20 By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place.

21 And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God's house,

22 let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ's blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The sanctuary was previously accessible to priests only. Now it was open to everyone.
True. For biblical insight into this one must turn to the epistle to the Hebrews, which speaks of the true Sanctuary -- the one in Heaven. The earthly sanctuary was patterned after the heavenly -- And look that thou make them after their pattern, which was shewed thee in the mount. (Exod 25:40)

P

pottersclay

50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and[e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (End Quote)

This curtain was real and symbolic. The sanctuary was previously
accessible to priests only. Now it was open to everyone. Jesus offered Himself
as atonement for the sin of the world. God was now open to the world through
Jesus not only priests. The old law was shattered and faith by grace began.
The old law as you put it wasn't shattered but fulfilled.

Relic

Apr 29, 2020
Yes, the curtain that was torn from top to bottom was the curtain which separated the holy place from the holy of holies.

Hebrews 9 also gives some detail ...

Hebrews 9:

6 When these things were all in place, the priests regularly entered the first room as they performed their religious duties.

7 But only the high priest ever entered the Most Holy Place, and only once a year. And he always offered blood for his own sins and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance.

8 By these regulations the Holy Spirit revealed that the entrance to the Most Holy Place was not freely open as long as the Tabernacle and the system it represented were still in use.

9 This is an illustration pointing to the present time. For the gifts and sacrifices that the priests offer are not able to cleanse the consciences of the people who bring them.

10 For that old system deals only with food and drink and various cleansing ceremonies--physical regulations that were in effect only until a better system could be established.

11 So Christ has now become the High Priest over all the good things that have come. He has entered that greater, more perfect Tabernacle in heaven, which was not made by human hands and is not part of this created world.

12 With his own blood--not the blood of goats and calves--he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.

13 Under the old system, the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a young cow could cleanse people's bodies from ceremonial impurity.

14 Just think how much more the blood of Christ will purify our consciences from sinful deeds so that we can worship the living God. For by the power of the eternal Spirit, Christ offered himself to God as a perfect sacrifice for our sins.

15 That is why he is the one who mediates a new covenant between God and people, so that all who are called can receive the eternal inheritance God has promised them. For Christ died to set them free from the penalty of the sins they had committed under that first covenant.

And Hebrews 10 tells us we enter the heavenly holy of holies through the great High Priest ... the Lord Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 10:

19 And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven's Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus.

20 By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place.

21 And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God's house,

22 let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ's blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
I agree to all of that and thanks for participating.

P

pottersclay

let's just say shattered and later fulfilled.
Let's not. The law is still the law. Jesus did not shatter the law he fulfilled it.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
let's just say shattered and later fulfilled.
Let's not. The law is still the law. Jesus did not shatter the law he fulfilled it.
Yes and the moral law now lives in each of us through the new birth...

"But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
(Jer 31:33)

And I know, we are not Israel but we are partakers of many of their promises (not land promises) through Christ Jesus.

Mar 23, 2016
True. For biblical insight into this one must turn to the epistle to the Hebrews, which speaks of the true Sanctuary -- the one in Heaven. The earthly sanctuary was patterned after the heavenly -- And look that thou make them after their pattern, which was shewed thee in the mount. (Exod 25:40)
Yes ... Hebrews has a wealth of information ... good to understand both OC and NC realities (jmho).

Hebrews 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us

P

pottersclay

Jesus said I've not come to destroy but to fulfill the law.

If we say that Jesus removed, destroyed, or in anyway abolished the law then we have a house divided.
We have lessened the work of Christ.
To fulfill the law is the impossible task in which Jesus accomplished out of obedience, love , and humbleness.
Only by the word of God was the law of God fulfilled. Not for Christ but for us.
The Pharisees taught the letter of the law. Jesus taught the heart of the law.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
I used this verse(s) years ago with a Mormon. He actually paused his spiel and ask a question or two. Hope it sank in.

Jun 11, 2020
The Veil (or Curtain) divided the Holy Place with the Holy of Holies. On the far side of the Veil was the Ark of the Covenant covered with the Mercy Seat. It was here that God met with man. But man is profane and God Holy, so entering the Veil caused instant death. The High Priest, with sacrifices, blood, special washings and special clothing could enter in through the Veil once a year on the Day of Atonement. God's Holiness cannot be defiled. God was inaccessible to man. A fiery sword guards the Tree of Life and a deathly Veil guards the approach to MERCY.

Christ's death is judged by God to be atonement for all sin, but man can still not enter at will. Just in front of the Curtain was a small altar, the Golden Altar of Incense. Once the Veil was ripped apart, the Golden Altar becomes part of the Holy of Holies. This is seen in Hebrews, and in Ezekiel's Temple. The way to God is open, BUT ONLY VIA THE ALTAR OF INCENSE. This Altar was made of Acacia wood and covered with Gold. These elements represent the humanity of Christ (wood) and the divinity of Christ (gold). The incense burned with a coal from the bronze altar in the Outer Court is also a picture of Christ. That is, the way to God is free, but still via a High Priest. In this case the High Priest is Jesus. No man can come to God by himself. Christ is the way to the Father. "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6)

And that is why, when we pray, it must always be in Jesus' Name. God is still a Holy God. Even though His creation is made by Him, is beautiful, is grand and is ordered, God has to humble Himself to look at it (Ps.113:6). God will only accept a man if He comes via Jesus. There is still no way to reach God except via Jesus. God counts a believer to have been crucified with Jesus (Rom.6:1-6; Gal.2:20). God only accepts a man if he is IN Christ.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
50 The old law was shattered and faith by grace began.
I am so glad you bring these wonderful verses to our attention.

I do disagree with your interpretation of these verses as saying the OT law was shattered and grace began. The OT speaks of grace. It is often spoken of as someone receiving favor in God's sight, but it is translated as grace, also.

Gen_6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Gen_19:19 Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:

I also think it is a mistake to say that Christ shattered the old law. In the sermon on the Mt. Christ explained the old law. Christ shattered nothing of His Father. He and the Father were one, they spoke with the same voice. Christ told us that he did not come to abolish, Christ fulfilled the promise of the Father to give blood on the altar for our sins.

To explain the tearing of the curtain further, it was explained that the saints (like Moses) whose sins had been atoned for so they did not die, were freed from the sleep of their atonement to walk the streets of Jerusalem.

Jun 11, 2020
The Veil, or Curtain, is an important thread through the scriptures. It is the SEPARATION of a Holy God and a profane man.
  • In Genesis Chapter 2 Adam must "fence about" (lit. Heb.) the Garden of Fellowship
  • In Genesis Chapter 3 the curtain is a fiery sword
  • In Exodus the Curtain separates God from His chosen people
  • In Leviticus we have the Levites serving near God IN His House and profane Israel WITHOUT
  • In Ezekiel we have God leaving the Temple so that the armies of Babylon would not be slaughtered when they ravaged the Temple
  • In the Person of Christ we have the "fullness of the Godhead" (Col.2:9), but this hidden from men by Christ's BODY (Heb.10:20)
  • In a believer we have the Triune God in his human spirit (Jn.3:6). But the flesh is so separate that it wages war on the spirit (Gal.5:17)
  • In the Millennium Jesus - Emmanuel - is surrounded by Israel who see that no defiling thing of the nations comes near to Him
  • In New Jerusalem the Church is a WALL keeping the Holy City holy.
  • In New Jerusalem, Israel are Gates - to let in some and exclude others