The Error of KJV-Onlyism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Misleading? How? How is the believer justified? When my pathetic, wavering faith fails, the faith of Christ never fails. He is the just and the justifier of them which believe. He's the Just one, not me or you.
Faith "of" misleads you into thinking exactly what you think, instead of recognizing the intent of the passage which is to point you to Jesus as opposed to other potential "saviour" figures or belief systems.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The only glaring error of the KJV is the attitude toward God's chosen people that it reflects. In 1600 they were even murdering Jews, and many thought it was the right Christian way to treat them.

There were at least 47 scholars working on this translation, each doing their best. God used this translation for good. But these men had an error in their thinking, so they would even translate the word Passover as Easter.

God gave us His words in Hebrew. Even the men who wrote in Greekk had Hebrew as their original language, they learned, studied, scripture in Hebrew, thought of God is Hebrew. When they wrote God's messages to us in Greek, they had to translate from their Hebrew learning. The men who translated the KJV were reflecting the thoughts of the time, not the thoughts of the Lord.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Are you under that assumption that a translation cannot be the holy word of God without error?
The KJV is not "without error". In Matthew 24:3 they translate Aion or "age", for "world" which the greek word is Cosmos. This is in error, or I don't know if error is the right word, but a better translation and what the word meant was AGE. This cult like belief system sets His word to a standard that can be picked apart by very basic arguments. The translation isn't bad of course, it's God's' word, but you trying to impose some kind of magical properties to it that are never even stated in scripture is dangerous and completely unnecessary. His word is amazing enough without us lifting a translation up as a false idol.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Faith "of" misleads you into thinking exactly what you think, instead of recognizing the intent of the passage which is to point you to Jesus as opposed to other potential "saviour" figures or belief systems.
I believe on Jesus Christ that I might be justified by his faith. I'm not relying on my faith. Faith is one's testimony of obedience to God's word.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
And besides, how does that even make sense? I believe in Jesus Christ that I might be justified by my faith in Jesus Christ.o_O

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I believe on Jesus Christ that I might be justified by his faith. I'm not relying on my faith. Faith is one's testimony of obedience to God's word.
No, faith is the assurance of things not seen. Obedience is the outworking of faith, not the origin of it.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
But these men had an error in their thinking, so they would even translate the word Passover as Easter.
Do you actually think they got to the word "Pascha" and had a brain fart and mistranslated the word? They very well knew that it meant Passover, but at that time in history when Peter was in prison, Christ the Passover Lamb had already come ending the Jewish Passover. Biblically, Passover had changed to a new phrase, "Easter" meaning Christ the Passover Lamb. Christians throughout the ages have understood this.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
And besides, how does that even make sense? I believe in Jesus Christ that I might be justified by my faith in Jesus Christ.o_O
No, you have faith in Jesus Christ therefore you are justified.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
No, faith is the assurance of things not seen. Obedience is the outworking of faith, not the origin of it.
The evidence of faith, believe God's word, is obedience.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
His word is amazing enough without us lifting a translation up as a false idol.
Magnifying the word of God is not idol worship. That argument is old.

Psalm 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
LOL, obeying God's word is the evidence of having faith in God's word. Faith come by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Once one repents and believes, which is obedience, is perfect obedience required thereafer?

Is the faith of Jesus Christ not enough?

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
A 'corrupt' version would certainly produce a corrupt faith, Correct?
The 'currupt' versions produce "little baby Christians" who are not able to handle the 'meat of the Word'. Neither do they have a desire for it - they are perfectly happy with the 'milk of the Word'.

1 Corinthians 3:

2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Hebrews 5:

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Some of the posts in this thread are a definite obvious blatent explicit unambiguous unrestrained show of evidence of the same.

Alexandria vs Antioch...you decide
Not if you know what the Bible says about Egypt and Antioch.
Upon reading these posts - if you do not have an immediate and full understanding of the significance and importance of what is being said here - then, you are absolutely most definitely unmistakably a 'babe' in Christ or not in Christ at all.

The 'mature' understand. The 'babes' do not.

And, the churches are full of "little baby Christians" who are all-nice-and-comfy with their bottle and blanket - who have never even "licked a steak much less eaten one" (so-to-speak) - who have never matured enough to "venture out" into the great depths of the word of God.

So sad... :(

Almost any version is sufficient for salvation.
It is okay to speak of salvation - for it is of supreme importance; however - what about doctrine? what about discipleship? what about:

2 Peter 3:

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

These things are important, too! And, it is vitally important for a Christian to have the "full-and-complete" word of God for best-possible-growth.

That's not to say that we shouldn't study to be as accurate as possible, but God can reveal His meaning through any medium.
Can He reveal biblical Christian doctrine through the Koran?

This is one of the most shameful lies of Satan to ever deceive the masses!

Do you realize that the Holy Spirit cannot use a lie to teach you the truth? Or, admonish you? Or, reprove you?

The Holy Spirit cannot tell a lie; therefore, He cannot use currupt bible passages to teach you truth. So, if your bible has currupt passages in it, the Holy Spirit cannot use those passages to teach you truth.

Do you not know this?

If your bible translation does not contain the "full-and-complete" word of God --- you are missing some of it! And, not only that - but, the Holy Spirit cannot teach you [certain things] which have been currupted in the text by a faulty translation.

So -

2 Timothy 3:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

But, if you have little pieces of it missing or currupted here-and-there throughout the text - what have you got?

What you have is a watered-down truth-and-error-mixture hit-and-miss unreliable bible text.

And, if you are happy with that - something is seriously wrong somewhere!

Those of you who are trying to 'pin' [the least little bit of] error on the KJV - I have a question for you...

Let us imagine that the complete total amount of error in the KJV (all only 'minor' errors) is enough to fill a bottle cap.

If your bible was translated from the Westcott-Hort manuscripts (including a lot of 'major' errors), then the complete total amount of error would fill a swimming pool.

Which would you rather have?

In a nutshell, this is the 'argument' of 'KJVO'. It is the most accurate-and-true English translation - period. It has passed the test of time. And, no one in their right mind would choose another bible version over the KJV if they are truly interested in 'correctness-of-truth' over 'easy-to-read' or anything else.

And, I am not going to say there cannot be any exceptions - however - what you will find if you look carefully - is that 'KJVO' folks are the 'highly most likely' to [be able to] handle the 'meat' of the Word - whereas, most of the folks who criticize the KJV are the 'highly most likely' to not be willing to 'chew' anything more "hearty" than jello... ('steak' is not even on their menu)

But - that is okay...

1 Peter 2:

2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

One day you will [hopefully] learn to have a desire for the 'deeper' things of God.

And then - you will discover and understand that - the whole time you were 'reacting' to the mere suggestion that the KJV was the best English Bible - Satan was standing next to you with his cattle prod - poking you with it and saying "Don't listen to that." all-the-while deceiving you into believing that how much a bible was currupted "really didn't matter"...

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Once one repents and believes, which is obedience, is perfect obedience required thereafer?

The believe is placed within the one who has perfect obedience. It's the only way to be completely justified. The faith of Christ is the righteousness of God. The righteousness of God was on display through the faith of Christ.

The glorious two word, "But now." The righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Chris available for all who believe.

Romans 3
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

The Jews missed it because of ignorance. They missed God's righteousness which was the faith of Jesus Christ.

Romans 10:
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
LOL, obeying God's word is the evidence of having faith in God's word. Faith come by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Yes... but faith in what? In Jesus' faith? No; faith in what we cannot see: the fulfillment of His promises.